A new amp for your studio

Author
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
2015/02/27 15:19:24 (permalink)

A new amp for your studio

About a year ago I asked a question of forum members. "What would you like to see in an amp for your studio".

I didn't get a single response so I just moved on. Well, I've been thinking about it and have designed and built a new amp for both a home and professional studio. The amp is a fairly simple single output tube design, 100% hand wired with the best parts I could find. It will use almost any 8 pin pentode or beam power tube. Anything from a 6V6 to a KT88. THe pre-amp features a 3 band EQ and an EF86 front end. 

What makes this amp different is that it doesn't sound like a small amp. It is REALLY quiet and uses transformers with a broader frequency response than most guitar amps. This allows you to run guitar, bass or keyboard through the amp with excellent fidelity.
I won't go on much more for now since the entire project is being published online as a 3 part article. The first part is up now and the next will follow in a few weeks. I don't give exact instructions on how to build the amp for reasons of personal liability, but I will be providing enough information for you to do so if you have some experience.

Here's a link to part 1.  http://blog.thetubestore.com/if-you-cant-find-it-build-it-diy-amp-part-one/

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 

18 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: A new amp for your studio 2015/02/27 15:29:01 (permalink)
    Looks nice John.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: A new amp for your studio 2015/02/27 15:43:23 (permalink)
    i think if i was starting up a 'studio for hire', i'd go with a Kemper Profiling amp.

of course,
    having a stable of basics (Fender Vibrolux, Marshall JMP, Vox AC30) would cover 95% of everything.

but having a custom built amp,
    is what i called 'dialed in'

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: A new amp for your studio 2015/02/27 16:03:09 (permalink)
    Way cool John! I wish I had the electronics chops for projects like that.

Rocky
    pentimentosound
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1535
    Re: A new amp for your studio 2015/02/27 16:22:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing that John! I was just thinking about how much I'd like to try out a 65Amps Ventura which also has an EF86 and 6V6's, if memory serves.
    Michael
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: A new amp for your studio 2015/02/27 22:16:59 (permalink)

From Part One :

5. In order to provide tonal options I need to run a variety of output tubes without any adjustment
    In order to change tubes on the fly I had to go with a cathode biased design.

I have had little time to play with my own tube amp, let alone try out different tubes.  Definitely something I want to get to in the not too distant future.

I'm curious, John, just how obvious are the sonic differences between tube types ?  I like your idea of this amp serving as a base into which you plug different tubes for different effect.  Can you give us an idea of what kind of changes you can get ?  Are they only noticeable to an experience guitarist or are they obvious ?  In what respect - tone (EQ), distortion, dynamics, (something else ?) does the behaviour of the amp change ?

Are you confident that the circuit layout, voltages and component values are (will be) good/ideal for all output tube types you want to try ?  Are the tube types really that compatible ?

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    ampfixer
    Re: A new amp for your studio 2015/02/28 03:39:16 (permalink)
    There is a difference between tubes that's hard not to notice and the design is such, that you can reliably switch between them. Most of your questions will be answered in the articles, so I suggest you read them if you're interested.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: A new amp for your studio 2015/02/28 07:29:24 (permalink)
    To answer a year late, I'd say: An amp that makes -0- noise (no fans - no hums) and delivers clean sound at all frequencies at an affordable price. ...

But I want too much.
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re: A new amp for your studio 2015/02/28 09:12:19 (permalink)
    That's a really cool looking design. I might just have to give this a try... I will be waiting (patiently of course) for your approach to a switch-able output tube design. I've tried in the past, but never been happy with the compromises I had to make.

Very nice of you to share the fruits of your labors!!! I hope to return the favor.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: A new amp for your studio 2015/02/28 12:03:52 (permalink)
    Looks great.  Too bad I have no time or training for such.  I would like an amp (and cab) of all trades for here at the house for synths and when the odd guitarist stops by (and I wouldn't use any thing but an odd one!).  Thanks for sharing.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    ampfixer
    Re: A new amp for your studio 2015/02/28 13:20:06 (permalink)
    soens
    To answer a year late, I'd say: An amp that makes -0- noise (no fans - no hums) and delivers clean sound at all frequencies at an affordable price. ...

But I want too much.

One of my design goals was to make the amp dead quiet for studio use. It really is dead quiet. I also used an output transformer that's rated from 40 Hz to 18 KHz. I've tested it with a 4 string bass and I'll be visiting a great Canadian bass designer very soon to see how it works with active and passive 5 string models. When using bass I run a 6550 or KT88 output tube. When I use guitars it's usually anything from a 6V6 to 6550. I have a dual range bias control to enhance each type.

Affordable is tough to answer, but I will do a proper accounting of the build.

Regards, John 
    ampfixer
    Re: A new amp for your studio 2015/02/28 13:24:51 (permalink)
    wst3
    That's a really cool looking design. I might just have to give this a try... I will be waiting (patiently of course) for your approach to a switch-able output tube design. I've tried in the past, but never been happy with the compromises I had to make.

Very nice of you to share the fruits of your labors!!! I hope to return the favor.

Thanks, I don't do it for money. The market is so saturated with Chinese product that I can't sell handmade stuff at a store. I hope others will share their stuff with the forum. I can't write code and I'm not a great musician so this is how I contribute to the industry I love. 

Regards, John 
    Beepster
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: A new amp for your studio 2015/03/01 11:40:17 (permalink)
    This is awesome, John and thank you for sharing. As I said to you before I am no electronics talking guy but am very interested in learning... specifically about things like this. One of the things I'd like to do if I get the chance is to take some basic electrical engineering courses so I can actually understand things like this and toss together simple preamps to use in my modest home studio. I've known guys that do this type of work and some of the boutique shops I used to poke around in carried custom tube pres (one of the coolest I saw was tube preamps built into old army surplus ammo boxes). I also like screwing around with old, obscure gear that people don't give a crap about because it's broken and/or they are recognizable names. I've gotten very cool and useable stuff that way and just tossing a few bucks at repairs. If I knew a bit about repairing and modding such things I could rebuild my dark army of backline gear just by scrounging around Craigslist or whatever.

Anyhoo... it's awesome you are willing to share your insights and experience with us.

Cheers.
    ampfixer
    Re: A new amp for your studio 2015/03/01 17:02:43 (permalink)
    Thanks Beeps. I know the amp co. you're talking about. They make a few models in that line and "the sarge" is one built into an ammo box. I'm one of many in Canada that makes unique amps but I never got into using surplus gear. A friend of mine named Bernie Raunig made these incredible little amps out of movie projectors and called them Filmo's. The guitar player in The Tragically Hip, Danny Lanois and Collin Cripps (Bryan Adams, Blue Rodeo) all bought them and used them as secret weapons. He never got any recognition and now people are using his name and some reverse engineering to make and sell them online. He gets nothing. Kind of like the music business in general.

I share stuff here because there's a few guys that are into it. After this amp, the next project will be an all tube reverb and overdrive unit to compliment the amp. After that I'm thinking an LA2A comp.

Regards, John 
    Beepster
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: A new amp for your studio 2015/03/01 18:09:34 (permalink)
    I think I have heard of these Filmo's through some of those gearheads I was telling you about. I was always an "Is it loud? Does it work?" kind of guy because I just wanted plug in and play but now that things are going to tape I wish I had paid more attention. Need to see if there are any electronic supply shops around here but I doubt it. I guess all that stuff is available online now though. Ain't the same as picking the brains of the guys behind the counter.

I'm guessing you've meandered through Active Surplus when it was still going. That was a wacky place.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: A new amp for your studio 2015/03/01 19:07:30 (permalink)
    Great read....

I built some homebrewed stuff in the past.... in fact I still have the transformers in my shop on the shelf in a box...

reading this kinda makes me want to go out there. find them and start a new build just for grins.... it's been a long time since the last amp build and perhaps this time I could get a decent chassis.

Are you planning to post the schematic with values?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    ampfixer
    Re: A new amp for your studio 2015/03/01 19:46:40 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker
    Great read....

Are you planning to post the schematic with values?

You know what? The schematic is in my head, I never did write it down. It might be a good idea to draw it all out.

Regards, John 
    soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: A new amp for your studio 2015/03/02 07:54:47 (permalink)
    What's the output AMperage?

Do you make dual channel (stereo) main studio amps as well? Mine should be rackmounted, unless it needs more than 3 spaces.
    ampfixer
    Re: A new amp for your studio 2015/03/02 15:42:31 (permalink)
    The choice of 2 bias ranges allows for operation at 10 watts or 15 watts. If I only had 1 bias setting then a 6V6 could be run over its maximum output rating or bigger tubes could run cold. 2 ranges allows for a good balance and keeps everything running cool. I've thought about stereo type amps before but I have no plans to build one.

In upcoming articles I will be doing the building in detail, with lots of pictures and explanations of my choices. It will be about 2 weeks before the next part gets posted.

Regards, John 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1