How do you monitor while self-tracking?

Author
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
2015/03/02 06:47:19 (permalink)

How do you monitor while self-tracking?

Hey, guys! I recently came across the idea of recording my scratch tracks of myself singing/playing while having the mix playing thru my monitors. 
Of course, they probably get picked up a veeery little, but the sound isn't at all present in more final recordings. Either way, it has helped me stop from singing about 15 cents sharp, something I'm notorious for when tracking with headphones.
I like the method because it feels more natural to sing in an environment that's more like a band around me than "inside my head".

Do any of you guys do it this way? Or do you prefer closed-backed cans for retaining clarity and safety of the audio? Or even something ELSE entirely?

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3

3 Replies Related Threads

Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: How do you monitor while self-tracking? 2015/03/02 07:01:54 (permalink)
    Closed back cans, but I want some open backed ones for midi and DI'd recording where their is no bleed to the mic to worry about. I could mix in the monitors for the latter, but I like the volume up when I'm recording and there are always neighbours to worry about. Besides I am more comfortable playing badly and then getting into the part and generally jammin if no one can hear me. I'm not great at playing anything.

I guess doing it your way is not so dissimilar to mic'ing you up and getting bleed from a band playing

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: How do you monitor while self-tracking? 2015/03/02 09:32:55 (permalink)
    People used to record in one room, maybe some gobos, with all the instruments bleeding into one another.  Part of the charm of analog days and can work nicely if the room is good.

As you say, sometimes you can't tell if the monitors are bleeding, esp. if the latency is low.  It merely reinforces the audio on the other tracks (tho you may get phasing or all kinds of problems too).

My singer made me use a scratch vocal because she liked the performance.  She was in the control room, DI bass was in the monitors and the guitar a little but there was a lot of bleed through from the next room.  But it was the best take, so the mechanical imperfections didn't matter.

Just keep an ear out for any killer problems, like phase.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: How do you monitor while self-tracking? 2015/03/03 06:47:12 (permalink)
    It is a very good way to record. I believe Michael Jackson liked doing it this way too.  If you have a really decent condenser microphone that can be put into a figure 8 setting there is a way of setting up the speakers (high up on stands) in the null points of the microphone facing you. That way very little spill from the monitors will end up on the vocal track. (Amazingly little in fact)

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1