How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
magik570
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 159
2015/03/02 13:15:10 (permalink)

How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach?

"Mix in Mono"... all good engineers tend to suggest this. My question is, in Sonar environment, what is the best approach to mix in Mono?
Should I turn mono on in Master Bus or at the track level?
Is there a Sonar Plugin that converts all tracks and buses to mono temporarily for my mixing stage?
Thanks.

Shahed

Macbook Pro (Early 2011)
INTEL i5-2.4 ghz
16GB RAM
SoundCard: Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 
Sonar Platinum
M-Audio 88es
Fishman Triple Play 
Ibanez JS1000 guitar
Roland MA-8 Desktop Monitors
KRK Rokit 5

51 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 13:21:23 (permalink)
    At the track level only. Channel Tools can do almost anything to do with stereo and mono. You can use it to make a stereo source mono. 

Best
    John
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 13:58:52 (permalink)
    John
    At the track level only. Channel Tools can do almost anything to do with stereo and mono. You can use it to make a stereo source mono. 

could you pls explain why mono at track level? you are only checking if/how your mix translates to mono playback systems. those systems sum the master to mono ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 14:08:36 (permalink)
    Because once you've got your mix working in mono you can then start panning things to the sides.

Seeing as you have Channel Tools inserted on every (stereo) track it's easy to place each track EXACTLY where you want in the stereo field. Mono tracks don't need this.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Beepster
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 14:08:36 (permalink)
    Only a suggestion from a novice mix engineer...

I do this on the Master bus by clicking the interleave button. This brings the entire mix down to mono so you can hear how it sounds and fix any problems.

If there are you may have to try going through any other stem busses to see if you can find the conflict (like a bus being fed by doubled guits or your drum bus or whatever). If you find something that sounds wonky try inverting the phase of any doubled tracks on the track level and check again. That may fix it.

If you have stereo effects going that can contribut too I think so you can try disabling those to see if that helps and make alternate plans.

I really have no idea what I'm talking about though but that's how I do it. I very rarely encounter bad phase issues and if I do a simple invert phase works.

You may want to try this in the Techniques sub forum (or just do a google search because I'm sure this has been discussed many time already).

Cheers.
    THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 14:18:44 (permalink)
    I do this always outside the DAW after the audio-interface.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 14:20:09 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Because once you've got your mix working in mono you can then start panning things to the sides.

Seeing as you have Channel Tools inserted on every (stereo) track it's easy to place each track EXACTLY where you want in the stereo field. Mono tracks don't need this.

Correct.  Thanks for explaining this so well. 

Best
    John
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 15:17:46 (permalink)
    I throw Boz Digital Labs' Panipulator on my master bus. It's free and hardly uses any cpu.

http://www.bozdigitallabs.com/product/panipulator/
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 15:47:54 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

OK. I think I understand now ... so you're going for frequency balance first on a complete mono mix, only afterwards start panning (height first, then width)? It's different "philosophy" than going width first and only checking for mono compatibility by summing the master, checking whether it still sounds good on a mono system.

May I ask how often you (or anyone else reading this) really applies the full blown mono-first-on-track-level mixing approach considering most consumer devices are stereo these days?

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 15:47:55 (permalink)
    By far the best way to do it is outside your interface.  I use a spare headphone output on my digital mixer and there will always be one on most interfaces as well.

The best way to do it is to sum the L and R channels in a small passive mixer perhaps and feed a single channel amplifier and a single mono speaker.  The speaker can be smaller too eg Auratone type size.  NOT your two main speakers in mono.  That is nowhere near as effective as one speaker.  Mono means one not two producing the same output.  Even two speakers producing mono will give you some stereo imaging due to the nature of sound arriving at both ears at slightly different times.  It adds to the mono confusion.

A different mono speaker also increases the number of systems you are hearing your mix on which is never a bad thing.  And a small speaker shows up all sorts of mix issues too.  It is also good down at low volume too but that is another story I guess.

The reason why this works is you never have to put anything on your masterbuss or switch it into mono etc.  It is just a simple matter of turning up the headphone level feeding the mono system.

All your sounds now will line up behind each other in the small mono speaker.  If they are too similar in sound and musical parts then they blend and will not sound separated.  If you want to similar parts to be more separated then making them that way in a mono speaker goes a long way once they are panned etc..in stereo.

Any wide chorus effects etc may also sum badly in mono and therefore you will know you have to rectify that by possibly doing polarity reversals on one side and checking again etc.. Some very wide synth sounds don't collapse well in mono either alerting you to make adjustments etc..Using tight delays to create stereo width (which IMO is a slack thing to do) often performs badly in mono too. eg comb filtering etc..

You never know when you music will be summed to mono.  It happens all the time.  Be ready for it.  Never just assume your mixes will always be heard in a wide stereo situation.

You can also use it very creatively too.  I have heard some great mixes that start out in mono (and sound great) then they just smoothly spread out to stereo over time. They can jump back into mono for a short period etc..

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 15:54:27 (permalink)
    FreeFlyBertl

May I ask how often you (or anyone else reading this) really applies the full blown mono-first-on-track-level mixing approach considering most consumer devices are stereo these days?

Are you talking about recording? If so I recommend keeping them stereo. Its really a matter of a mono source stays mono and a stereo source stays stereo. 

Best
    John
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 16:13:47 (permalink)
    John
    FreeFlyBertl

Are you talking about recording? If so I recommend keeping them stereo. Its really a matter of a mono source stays mono and a stereo source stays stereo. 

No, I was refering to mixing. The way I read Bristol_Jonesey's post was that he folds stereo recorded tracks to mono when starting out to mix, gets the mix going and later uses Channel Tools to allow the stereo tracks a dedicated space in the stereo field ... I may have misread it, that's why I was asking ...

Jeff Evans
    ...  NOT your two main speakers in mono.  That is nowhere near as effective as one speaker.  Mono means one not two producing the same output.  Even two speakers producing mono will give you some stereo imaging due to the nature of sound arriving at both ears at slightly different times.  It adds to the mono confusion.

You can also use it very creatively too.  I have heard some great mixes that start out in mono (and sound great) then they just smoothly spread out to stereo over time. They can jump back into mono for a short period etc..

Thanks, Jeff, for joining. I always learn from your explanations.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

Beepster
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 16:16:48 (permalink)
    Again I defer to the knowledge presented by others on this. It does certainly make more sense to covert to mono at the furthest point in the chain possible. I'm not even sure I have the capability to sum to mono beyond my Master or Output busses using headphones plugged into my interface. If I hooked up the interface outputs to my mixer I might be able to sum to mono that way (there is a dedicated mono output for the mains) but I think the only way I could monitor that with the gear I have would be to plug one of my powered monitors into that output... and that would be counterproductive for many reasons.
    dubdisciple
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 16:20:03 (permalink)
    I avoid recording anything in stereo to begin with. The only thing stereo in any of my projects tend to be vsti's that are stereo and samples that are stereo and most of the time i convert those to mono. I tend to run into issues when I try to get cute with choruses and delay effects or when I get sloppy with eq and introduce phase issues.
    Beepster
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 16:37:18 (permalink)
    dubdisciple
    I avoid recording anything in stereo to begin with. The only thing stereo in any of my projects tend to be vsti's that are stereo and samples that are stereo and most of the time i convert those to mono. I tend to run into issues when I try to get cute with choruses and delay effects or when I get sloppy with eq and introduce phase issues.

Took me forever to figure out the whole stereo vs. mono track thing in Sonar. In my old DAW you had to literally choose what type of track you were inserting so it didn't make sense to me that there was no option for that in Sonar (and if you search back to when I first joined the forum I posted a thread about my desperate confusion on the matter).

It still confuses me but it seems if I choose a left or right input source on the track then I'll get mono clips. Obviously that is exactly what I want for a guitar or bass input.

For synths (especially drums) I tend to choose All Outputs Mono so I still get a stereo pair (just split into two mono tracks) for everything. Then for the stuff that should be mono (like close mic'd drums) I just delete or mute one of the pair. For the stuff that should be stereo (like overhead mics) I leave the pair as is and make sure their settings remain identical or combine them into a single stereo track.

Those are the best plans I've come up with so far.

I have recently seen another method regarding softsynth insertion where you choose All Outputs Stereo then go through and change the inputs on each track to whatever mono signal is available (left or right side but not stereo). That saves have to delete extra channels or combining things that should be stereo.
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 16:38:35 (permalink)
    dubdisciple
    I throw Boz Digital Labs' Panipulator on my master bus. It's free and hardly uses any cpu.

Sure would be nice to have a ProChannel version...

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    dubdisciple
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 16:41:50 (permalink)
    Anderton
    dubdisciple

Sure would be nice to have a ProChannel version...

Are you foreshadowing? Would be nice to have Mongoose as well,which has become an automatic on my mix bus.
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 16:43:01 (permalink)
    To add to what Jeff said, the "quick and dirty" option is just to set all the interleave button in the Console to mono. You can do all of them at once with ctrl+click. The object of starting with everything in mono is you can see which tracks have problems (e.g. the chorus issues Jeff mentions) and which tracks "step on" other tracks in terms of frequency response so you can do some creative carving with the EQ.

If the mix checks out well, then you can move on to stereo and the space it creates will be very wide open.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    dubdisciple
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 16:45:18 (permalink)
    Reading tips from Jeff has really helped my mixing a lot.
    mcouture1961
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 16:46:51 (permalink)
    Basic question that may sound stupid for many of you.

Talsking about recording. Not mixing. Since we all hear in stereo, shouldn't we record every instrument in stereo? If I am facing a band/orchestra I hear the whole thing in stereo but also each instrument. What should be recorded mono and why ?

I often thought about that but never figured it out. 

Sonar Platinum,
    Windows 10 64-bit , Intel i7 2600K Quad 16GB
    Focusrite 2i2
    M-Audio Axiom 61, Roland Juno Di,
    Dimension Pro and Rapture Pro
    M-Audio M3-6 monitors,
    Guitars and Mics
    Beepster
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 17:01:54 (permalink)
    mcouture1961

Talsking about recording. Not mixing. Since we all hear in stereo, shouldn't we record every instrument in stereo? If I am facing a band/orchestra I hear the whole thing in stereo but also each instrument. What should be recorded mono and why ?

I think it might screw up the panning but IDK. It at the very least makes it confusing (for me). Like if I have a guitar track that is one signal (think... one microphone) if the track is mono I can pan it to go the bus exactly where I want it to be in the stereo field (of the output bus). If it's stereo and I pan it I'm not sure if that's the same as panning the mono signal.

If it's multi mic'd and I want stereo then using the single mono inputs means I can pan them each mono signal hard left and right to create the stereo signal. If they were both stereo then I have four signals. I have no idea what that would mean for panning.

Quadrophenia?

You will certainly get better answers from the real engineers on here. I just try to stick with the basics.. because I'm easily confused.
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 17:16:30 (permalink)
    mcouture1961

No. A Saxophone is a mono instrument a piano is a stereo instrument. Actually none are but we wont be far wrong in thinking in those terms. Stereo is a recording technique. What we get with a multitrack DAW or recorder is a simulated stereo sound. To get "real" stereo you need to have two mics place some distance apart and going to a two channel recorder. The stereo file will have more than just left right info in it but also space/time as well. A sense of location is recorded with the two mic technique.  

Blue Note records recorded using the technique outlined above to a two channel tape recorded. No mixing was done.  Their recordings sound fantastic. Position of instruments is clear. 

When we record a guitar for example often its done with a direct in and a single channel. The same for most instruments. When close micing became a possibility multi-track recordings could be made. Thank Les Paul for that. Bing Crosby also helped develop tape recording.

What we have now is the ability to record any way we wish.  

Best
    John
    mcouture1961
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 17:27:38 (permalink)
    Thanks John for a simple and clear explanation. In fact this is just common sense. Being a saxophone and a piano player, your example really strikes me. Should have thought about it myself.  

And yes, Blue Note recordings sound fantastic. You close your eyes and can "see" the musicians just by listening.

Sonar Platinum,
    Windows 10 64-bit , Intel i7 2600K Quad 16GB
    Focusrite 2i2
    M-Audio Axiom 61, Roland Juno Di,
    Dimension Pro and Rapture Pro
    M-Audio M3-6 monitors,
    Guitars and Mics
    dubdisciple
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 17:30:48 (permalink)
    mcouture1961

I'm no expert but the only time i record instruments in stereo is:

1) Recording live performances where individual recording is impractical or impossible.

2) In conjunction with individual tracks (ie drum kits where you have individual plus overhead and room.

3) I am limited by equipment on hand.

Most of these conditions rarely occur in the studio for me since the instruments or situations that could be argued for stereo recording seldom appear. 99% of the time i am in studio with musician not using VSTi involves guitar, bass, horn or other solo instrument best recorded in mono. Even with backup singers who prefer to harmonize together, I create a stereo track and then record each individually,typically tossing the stereo track
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 17:31:45 (permalink)
    Ah, a man with great taste. It is rewarding to find another that gets what one is trying to say. Thank you.

Best
    John
    dubdisciple
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 17:40:23 (permalink)
    I love blue note recordings too
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 17:49:57 (permalink)
    dubdisciple
    I love blue note recordings too

Some how that makes a lot of sense Dub. 

Best
    John
    WallyG
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 833
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 19:47:43 (permalink)
    dubdisciple

Thanks! Just downloaded and will try tomorrow.

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
    My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
    jb101
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 19:56:59 (permalink)
    I use an "Auratone" type speaker as well.

The "Control Room" outputs of my DAW feed into a stereo bus on my analogue mixer (output to my main monitors), with a mono send to my "Auratone".

In an ideal scenario, before I start panning anything (or using stereo at all), I try to achieve a static fader mix using EQ and Compression - in mono. 

This, I constantly check through my mono-monitor.

Having a single driver, like an Auratone, also helps (Focusing on Midrange, etc.).

Only after this, do I look/listen to /work on the stereo field.

Just my tuppenceworth.

Sonar Platinum
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: How do you mix in Mono in Sonar? Best approach? 2015/03/02 20:51:39 (permalink)
    dubdisciple
    Reading tips from Jeff has really helped my mixing a lot.

I'll second that !

I've become a disciple of Jeff's.  Everything he says just makes sense.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1