Building a machine?

Author
Greg Lester
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 34
2015/03/03 16:26:21 (permalink)

Building a machine?

I was putting the info in my signature and it's raised a few questions. I have an Intel i5 and I see others that have an i7. I just ordered 8 gig that will give me a total of 16 compared to others having 32. As nothing more than a hobbiest and bedroom concerto, I feel like what I have will suffice. While I would like to build a better machine, I don't know I could justify it. Like my wife said, my hobby is getting expensive. I don't feel my material is good enough to sell so I'm getting a 0 ROI.

Are there any tweaks that can be done on this i5 machine? My VISIO is 32" TV used as a monitor. It is hooked up HDMI through and adapter that screws into RGB. Can this affect performance?

Thanks.

Greg

HP Intel(R) core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00gHz
16gb RAM 64 Bit
OS Windows 8.1
VISIO 32 inch as monitor
AudioBox 44VSL audio interface
Roland A-500Pro MIDI controller
Line 6 POD HD500
SONAR Platinum 
SONAR X3e Producer
WAVES GOLD 

http://www.reverbnation.com/johnbonesdoe
https://www.facebook.com/...nesdoe/561026167249408

11 Replies Related Threads

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Building a machine? 2015/03/03 16:39:19 (permalink)
    you could always spend loads on better gear (and it's hard to break the habit once you got into it) but gear by itself won't make the music any better ... unfortunately ...

so you might want to listen to your wife, or your whole life might just get more expensive ;-)

all that irony set aside I can asure you that you can to a lot with an i5 - if you know your tools and certain settings/procedures you can work with ... which would be e.g. ASIO settings, when to freeze synths or tracks, freeze w/ or w/out FX, bounce etc ...

I actually do a lot of recording using a standard WIN 8 tablet PC with only 4 GB and no tuning at all - did 20+ tracks live recordings on that thing or backing tracks for entire shows ...

for mixing I prefer my real DAW with 32 GB RAM, but rarely get close to fully utilizing that ...

well, maybe stick to 44.1 kHz, don't go higher as increased sample rate means more number crunching and needs more power ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Building a machine? 2015/03/03 17:41:08 (permalink)
    I use HDTV's for displays for Sonar too (I have a 40" and a 32"), and it all runs fine.

I happened to have had a giant pile of money when I got a lump sum disability check that went back for the 2 years I had to wait for the process to conclude, and THAT was how I got both an i7 CPU and 32 GB of memory, among other things, like my super nice recording mics and a good interface, etc.

8 GB of memory should be fine for most, if not all, of your projects.  I used to run with 4 GB just fine, back with XP Pro, then moved to 8 GB for a couple years, still fine, and am now at the 32 GB.

I have another desktop I use when I go to my son's place to record him playing guitar, and that desktop is running X3 and has 8 GB of memory and is fine for anything I have ever done there.  That PC has an AMD CPU of some sort - quad core but cannot recall which one.

I think you will be fine.  More is more, and many times better, but can just as easily not make much of a difference, once you DO get to where you have a decent processor and 8 GB or more of memory.  That seems to be a bit of a milestone amount of memory - enough to be comfortably running Sonar with a good number of tracks and plugins.

If you DO find some projects are straining things you can freeze things and such, and should still be OK.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Greg Lester
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re: Building a machine? 2015/03/03 17:57:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for your inputs. I'm still a little puzzled of why the freezing rate changed. Maybe it has something to do with having FX and not having them. I'm going do a screen cast I think and out that video in another thread. I wish I would have known then what I know now. I got my VA disability at the end of 2012 and that was after 3 years of waiting. (I've only been recording in DAW maybe a year and a half or a little longer.) I think I'll be ok. I'm just on guy who multitracks one track at a time except for the drums. Addictive drums adds up and those are the most common sounds I start losing first.

Greg

HP Intel(R) core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00gHz
    16gb RAM 64 Bit
    OS Windows 8.1
    VISIO 32 inch as monitor
    AudioBox 44VSL audio interface
    Roland A-500Pro MIDI controller
    Line 6 POD HD500
    SONAR Platinum 
    SONAR X3e Producer
    WAVES GOLD 

http://www.reverbnation.com/johnbonesdoe
    https://www.facebook.com/...nesdoe/561026167249408
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Building a machine? 2015/03/04 08:32:34 (permalink)
    I have an i5 and my last project had a lot of tracks (90+) and FX on every track. The i5 is fine as long as your samples are on a different drive than your recording drive. You may have to consolidate busses on occasion when a bus gets a high CPU load due to a plugin(s), but I just bounce that bus to a track and archive whatever was feeding the bus.

Also, I would suggest that you do not start mixing (adding FX, EQ and so on) until after you are done recording all of your tracks.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: Building a machine? 2015/03/04 09:03:58 (permalink)
    If all your hardware is going to be compatible, a good solution might be to save a little at a time and upgrade to an i7. Hopefully, then you won't need to jump through so many hoops.

Of note, I also had to convince my good lady that this is my passion (being only a hobbyist), and it's better to get the foundation (DAW) set properly so that it will last me well for the next (at least) 4 years. I saved a little every month for a about 18 months before I could afford to build my current machine. It has served me very well for the past 2 years and still going strong.

Good luck!!

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    kakku
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1646
    Re: Building a machine? 2015/03/07 14:34:16 (permalink)
    On my laptop I got a Pentium t3200 with 3 gigs of RAM. I have trouble when there is more than 6 tracks or when there is a bit demanding vst. I might get a better laptop this year, a i3 model of some sort. Oh yes, it even has Vista so cannot upgrade to new Sonar yet. But then again gear problems are least of my problems when it comes to making music.

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
    kakku
    Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Building a machine? 2015/03/08 22:28:59 (permalink)
    I see nothing wrong with what you have if your just a basic user and not doing crazy electronic stuff. 
    If the video seems funky go pick up a video card. Basic passive cards are less that $50. 

I just built a new system and I went with the i5 because I'm mostly just audio with a few synths and drums. It take a heck of a lot more than I use to kill 16 gigs of RAM and a i5 quad core. I had no problems in the past with a Pentium D 3.2 duo core and 4 Gigs of RAM. But it was on the edge. I think 8 gigs is perfect and 16 is overkill but I did it just for the bragging rights. 
    You sound like your the same as me so relax and spend your money on a nice new mike or pre amp   :)     

PS:  if you want improved performance slap a SSD drive in there for your OS. 
    post edited by Cactus Music - 2015/03/08 22:37:28

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

ChristopherM
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    Re: Building a machine? 2015/03/10 05:11:13 (permalink)
    Just a thought, OP - have you dug into the power options on Windows to make sure that your CPU is running at full-speed when you are running Sonar?
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Building a machine? 2015/03/12 13:10:45 (permalink)
    You should be fine with an i5 & 16 Gb of RAM

My old DAW was based on a Q6700 chip, running Win XP32 and 4Gb of RAM. This machine could handle a 75 track project, complete with multiple live FX, loads of Midi & multiple unbounced V-Vocal clips.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    ØSkald
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1248
    Re: Building a machine? 2015/03/21 17:25:26 (permalink)
    My rig is a hobby that I also happens to use for music and video production. I don't need that large machine, but like all hobbies it cost money, and you have to make a budget and stick to it. And the budget has to be in balance that is. Its all about balance and priority. I am single and can afford not buying clothes and holidays and such. I have a hard priority of this. My budget is almost only this. And to be honest. I would trade it for a relationship with a girl to love, any day. But that's life.
    Sir Les
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1182
    Re: Building a machine? 2015/03/22 06:13:14 (permalink)
    Yah man, something you put your life into, takes time to develop, and master...so go slow, spend a bit here and a bit there, and collect interest in something that keeps us out of trouble, and at home where the eye does not wonder....is worth a sacrifice of Money for...in exchange for the limitations it puts on Humanity!....Be free in your captivity tied to the house hold!...and when the wife asks to turn off that noise and come to bed....You better listen!....at least your home doing something good, and staying out trouble...you could plead for understanding with allowance for indulging in?...If needs be, to keep it going on?....lol

Ok "HDMI Audio tweak" if used along side a external or add on card.....turn it off...could help in that noiseless session (no clicks and pops ).?

And watch out for too many shared IRQ's in setting up a system for Music...and it should go well enough.

What the curb is, is the computer will not last forever, and redundancy is built in...in time/by time...so it is constantly improving, yet it is not really necessary for living....Thus a luxury of indulgence it truly is...as it does not make music with you or input from the users.

But it does more than help us with doing things as a tool...we learn...something in putting our hearts into something that has no limitations...when one follows the theory of music....could be a voice ...could be a electric sound...but it can be art, and art is what makes ideas come to the costing ill will of it all, with the oppressing rule in play....never enough of, to do...is a oppressed state?...see?

The cost is the weakest link...remove the cost, which removes your rights to have...and all is not tainted by it anymore, and the oppression and limitation over humanity becomes unbound...when doing Good onto the whole....give and share is where it must go..from the oppressed, to the free and saved....

That is true freedom!....sing halehlujah when you find it as so? or as it is!...sing for it then!

Be well.
    Be Good!

And your wife is saying without saying, we are oppressed...can not afford...and so...we suffer the same bondage!...wink

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
    2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1