DI and Mic inputs on Roland Quad Capture

Author
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
2015/03/02 07:35:49 (permalink)

DI and Mic inputs on Roland Quad Capture

I recently noticed the the Hi-Z input on my quad front panel points to the Input 1, and checking the manual confirms this. I only have one Mic and it a condenser, so this requires 48V.

The back shows a switch for Hi-Z applies to input one but phantom applies to both inputs. So I can't set individually. I believe it's not wise to mix mics on both phantom and not phantom (dynamic and condenser) but what about Hi-Z and Phantom (DI and Condenser).

Page 25 of the manual shows both guitar and condenser connected, but I am concerned that this is for simplicity of showing options.

I'm considering a pickup for my acoustic, but if it can't be combined with a condenser on my set up, I think I should get another condenser instead

7 Replies Related Threads

Kamikaze
    Re: DI and Mic inputs on Roland Quad Capture 2015/03/02 08:25:57 (permalink)
    Just stumbled on the schematics and realised I should have thought of that before. Shows both input have 48v applied when Phantom engaged and then Hi-Z is applied to input 1 next.

Kamikaze
    Re: DI and Mic inputs on Roland Quad Capture 2015/03/03 00:38:25 (permalink)
    Ok now I'm even more confused about the DI. I had always thought it was for both inputs, simply because of the combo inputs on the front, but it looks like input 2 is just for line (synth) inputs, and the DI is just on Input 1. This never mattered before, but now I have a  bass and a guitar and have started to meet other musicians in town. This may come up.

So a DI I thought was a low level in and using a guitar on a Mixer input was too much strain for the Preamp, hance the need for a DI Box.

I have both input level knobs set to 12 O'clock, and input is HI-Z set to on. When I plug my Bass into either input, the E string produces -18dB. Shouldn't it be lower for the input 2?

Kamikaze
    Re: DI and Mic inputs on Roland Quad Capture 2015/03/03 00:46:21 (permalink)
    Ok, just recorded and I think just using metering wasn't accurate enough, Hi-Z seems 6dB louder. This is at 12 O'clock though, so what harm would it be to use a guitar on the non DI'd  input? Are Preamps more capable nowadays. I'm thinking Quad capture VS my old 90's Spirit Folios. If this is the case, I assume the Humbicker (has a bigger output right?) should go on the non-DI'd in?

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: DI and Mic inputs on Roland Quad Capture 2015/03/03 19:04:52 (permalink)
    Just wanted to clarify for you that phantom power should only be applied to the XLR prongs (as it only applies to a condenser mic), and since you have combo inputs that power should not be going to the 1/4" input in any way. It is common to have interfaces apply phantom power to all inputs (it will not damage a dynamic mic), but be SURE never to make or break a mic connection with phantom power on!

The hi-Z/line inputs apply to the 1/4" TRS/TS centers of the combo inputs. Depending on guitar output, some interfaces can actually amplify a line input to be effective, this depends though. For your interface, it seems the input 1 can be either, but the input 2 expects to see line voltage coming in. Humbuckers have higher outputs, so you may be able to effectively use it on input 2 if your interface can input gain it enough... watch this though, since there can be significant variation between a single note versus a full chord. It is best to set gain by playing open G chord hard, but then single notes may be too low... if that occurs, another option is a simple powered compression pedal between the guitar and input 2.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Kamikaze
    Re: DI and Mic inputs on Roland Quad Capture 2015/03/03 21:28:56 (permalink)
    Thanks Mattelous, your clarification clears things up. So it's just some Ribbon Mics that get damaged my Phantom Power.

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: DI and Mic inputs on Roland Quad Capture 2015/03/03 22:21:18 (permalink)
    That is a good point! I have never owned a ribbon mic, so I am glad you pointed that out - ribbon mics can be damaged by phantom power.

Rather than lump summing things into buckets it is always a good idea to verify what is connected when phantom power is enabled. By default, phantom power should always be off unless needed. Another side note to this is that XLR cables are also used for signals at longer distances since they are balanced and low impedance (such as the output of a DI box), so always be sure what you are connecting 1) needs it and 2) can tolerate it before using phantom power. As you pointed out, phantom power is either on or off for both inputs, so just verify what is plugged in before turning it on.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Kamikaze
    Re: DI and Mic inputs on Roland Quad Capture 2015/03/03 23:24:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for the extra info. It was phantom power on all inputs on my old folio mixers too. I have 2 channel strips in the UK (Focusrite Tone factory and Mindprint Envoice). So if I go for a ribbon I'd look to getting those over. I've considered an SM57 next, which would give a second mike option should I later get a ribbon and run without Phantom.

I'm so sure my Audio Tecnica has suffered a few time being connected and disconneted with the UNIT off and switched on or Phantom switch being waved by accident. My own natural stupidity makes me wary of investing in a ribbon.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1