[Resolved] I seem to be stuck in bounce mode?

Author
Matthew Berdyck
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2015/03/03 21:30:05 (permalink)

[Resolved] I seem to be stuck in bounce mode?

I am new to Sonar.  My system is set up, everything is working but whatever I have recorded from previous tracks is being routed to my new tracks causing every track to have all the previous tracks layered, like it's bouncing tracks.  How can I make it so that it doesn't do this in order to have isolated tracks?

Or is this a technical glitch or incorrect setting?

Also I seem to not have a stereo mix on my headphones, as in on the speakers I can control the panning but on the the headphones I cannot. 

I am using a Tascam US 332 interface. 

Thank you.  
post edited by Matthew Berdyck - 2015/03/04 07:12:34

6 Replies Related Threads

Beepster
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: I seem to be stuck in bounce mode? 2015/03/03 22:07:14 (permalink)
    Hmm... do you mean new "Takes" as opposed to new "Tracks"?

If you mean you are recording into the same track multiple times it sounds like you may be in Sound On Sound mode. Right click on the Record button in the Transport Module (at the top of the screen) and check to see what is chosen. If it is Sound On Sound try switching to Comp Mode (which should be the default). If that's not what is going on some more details would be helpful.

As far as the panning issue it sounds like maybe your interface has separate channels for headphones and monitors (which is normal) but that maybe the channel for the headphones has been set to mono. Open your interface's gui to check the interleave state (it's a button that switches from stereo to mono). Read the interface manual to see how it handles the various outputs and how to do general set up/tweaks.

There may also be something going on in your Sonar Preferences audio devices settings. You can check that stuff out in Edit > Preferences > Audio-Devices and check your ins and outs.

Honestly just taking some stabs in the dark here because these are odd issues. Definitely more details required but maybe if you poke around some of that stuff you'll find something.

If you haven't already go through the Tutorials at the start of the help manual. It will guide you through set up and basic tasks which should help you see the more important aspects of Sonar.

Sorry if that's not very helpful.
    Beepster
    Re: I seem to be stuck in bounce mode? 2015/03/03 22:09:34 (permalink)
    Also if it is recoding into one track have you tried opening the Take Lanes? You do this by pressing the button in the far left bottom corner of the track controls. You should see all your previous takes there and you can then mute or delete them so they aren't playing back.

Matthew Berdyck
    Re: I seem to be stuck in bounce mode? 2015/03/03 22:26:02 (permalink)
    I'm sorry, I should have said I am new to this version of Sonar.  I have been using the software all the way back to XL, with the last real version I used being Sonar Producer 4.  

Everything seems to be in place. 

It's not the comping selection and involves different tracks.  Whatever is recorded to track one, is recording onto track two.

This means my first track is a hi hat click track. 

The second track should be just a guitar, but because of the issue it becomes a track of a click and guitar together, compounding the tracks, and keeps going like this the more tracks you add. 

I removed the Windows audio devices, and only have the US-322 on the system so there are no Windows issues I can see. 

I'm starting to think there is something wrong with my interface.  

Beepster
    Re: I seem to be stuck in bounce mode? 2015/03/03 22:34:55 (permalink)
    Okay... yeah, somehow your interface must be routing playback into your new tracks. Sonar doesn't allow one track to be recorded into another directly like in other DAWs so definitely check out your hardware routing. Maybe there is some zero latency monitoring feature causing a loopback... or for tha matter a loopback feature... or as you said maybe the soundcard is doing something weird.

To sum up... I have no clue. ll

Sorry. Good luck.
    BRuys
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re: I seem to be stuck in bounce mode? 2015/03/04 05:46:21 (permalink)
    There is nothing worse than being stuck in bounce mode:

No, but seriously, from what you are describing, I think you somehow have a route at the soundcard itself.  There is nothing in Sonar that I can think of that would cause this.  As a quick test, you could try recording a couple of tracks in Audacity.  If the same problem happens there, you can rule Sonar out of the equation and concentrate on looking at your soundcard's routing.  Most cards have their own mixing applet - this is where I'd look first.
    Matthew Berdyck
    Re: I seem to be stuck in bounce mode? 2015/03/04 06:10:36 (permalink)
    Actually, I found a switch on the bottom of US 322, flipped it, and it started working, single tracking, but everything was stuck on the left side.  So I troubleshot the problem and came up with some steps to repair the issue.

Step 1:  Throw US 322 in trash can

Step 2:  Save box to hold guitar picks and weed roaches

Step 3:  Buy Focusrite 2i2

Step 4: While waiting for interface to arrive smoke weed roaches

Problem resolved

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1