IJenNeh - African Gospel/Pop - Been Through the Fire

Author
karalie7@aol.com
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 712
2015/03/03 23:49:54 (permalink)

IJenNeh - African Gospel/Pop - Been Through the Fire

Hi Friends,

We are in the process of recording a new cd. Currently we have 5 songs fully tracked and working in various stages of another 10 songs. Here is an original song that we recorded "Been Through the Fire". 

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13066172

1. What do you think about the bells in the beginning of the song and at 1:11? 

2. What do you think about the lead guitar solo in the middle of the song at 2:15? Should it be more stylized? Or play the melody straight like it is?

3. What genre would you classify the song?

This is a rough mix with no equalization or effects, only panning and light compression with Sonitus for levels. Song features: live drums, guitar, bass, keys, organ and vocals.

Your honest feedback is appreciated!
Blessings!
Lasana and Karalie Kanneh

post edited by karalie7@aol.com - 2015/03/04 17:26:57

10 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: IJenNeh - African Gospel/Pop Music - Been Through the Fire 2015/03/04 07:54:24 (permalink)
    Sounds like you have a good start but I would prefer to hear a more finished product with your intended panning and other processing before any real mix comments.

Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    karalie7@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 712
    Re: IJenNeh - African Gospel/Pop Music - Been Through the Fire 2015/03/04 17:24:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for listening Wookiee.

On this project we are going to have someone else do the equ, add reverbs and most of the mixing. I am mainly interested in help with the recording as we track it. If we decided to change the guitar solo or change the bells we would do that before sending it to the mixer. 

Cheers!
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: IJenNeh - African Gospel/Pop Music - Been Through the Fire 2015/03/04 22:42:15 (permalink)
    Pretty cool. The bass is pretty close to where you want it, sounds punchy and keeps things going along! The organ patch you have going seemed a little thin in spots, you might like VB3 which is a VST organ, fairly cheap, but a big step up from your current patch in my opinion. 

It's cool, it's upbeat, it's Christian (I think?), it's very pleasant. All good!

The bells and guitar solo didn't stand out either way for me. I'd like to hear this once you've got your mixing on!

I would vote to eliminate that low register electric piano, I don't think it adds much. It's pitched so low, you wonder why it's there? I don't think you often hear a low electric piano comping along like that, but this could be your stylistic choice, in which case nevermind then!!!  If you want a low pad, maybe organ or something sustained like strings, mixed waaay down low? Just some thoughts . . .

good song, sounds like it's well on the way.

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: IJenNeh - African Gospel/Pop Music - Been Through the Fire 2015/03/07 16:38:27 (permalink)
    Hey Karalie - haven't heard from you guys here in a while.

1. What do you think about the bells in the beginning of the song and at 1:11?
    I like them, but they're a little "subdued" for the rest of the instruments in the song.

2. What do you think about the lead guitar solo in the middle of the song at 2:15? Should it be more stylized? Or play the melody straight like it is?
    personally I think I'd like to hear the guitar solo play something different than the melody of the song.  gives the song a interesting break that way.

3. What genre would you classify the song?
    I have no idea! LOL

I'd like to hear this when it's finished.  it's difficult to hear everything without it being mixed properly.  this is a good start!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: IJenNeh - African Gospel/Pop Music - Been Through the Fire 2015/03/08 13:14:43 (permalink)
    Can't hear the bells but I hear organ! I would redo the guitar solo and put more emotion into it.  I like the sound and vocals. You need a good mixer on this so it doesn't sound dated.  
    Vocal and piano seem pitchy in places.
    Good luck with this project.

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: IJenNeh - African Gospel/Pop Music - Been Through the Fire 2015/03/11 18:24:37 (permalink)
    It is good to see y'all back on the forum.  This is a very nice, pleasant, and upbeat song.  As was stated above, it is hard to make comments without hearing the final product but I will try and answer your question.

1.  The bells sound fine and add to the song.
    2.  I would opt for something other than playing the melody for the guitar solo. 
    3.  I see that you have the song listed as World: reggae on the SoundClick site.  I am not sure that I would classify it as such.  I had expected a more African sound to this number but it has an almost pop sound to it (IMHO).
    The only other suggestion is that overall the song could use a bit of punching up.  The vocals are great sounding as they are but the instrumentation seems to be way in the background.  I would love that guitar playing in the background to be brought forward a bit.  I have heard guitar settings that make it sound like a Jeli Ngoni which would be interesting for this number.  This is a joyful song and that emotion needs to come out.

You have a good number going here and I look forward to hearing the finished product.
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: IJenNeh - African Gospel/Pop Music - Been Through the Fire 2015/03/16 14:34:43 (permalink)
    From my end....  I like the vocals, piano, drums and bass.   The bells don't stand out but perhaps that's a positive?

As others mentioned I also think the guitar solo needs a bit more emotion/variation to draw the listener in.   And the organ could perhaps use a little more meat and a little less of that upper stops "whistle".

Overall though it sounds good.   Like Afro-Pop?  

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re: IJenNeh - African Gospel/Pop Music - Been Through the Fire 2015/03/17 18:37:17 (permalink)
    1. I would keep the bells and hold off on the vocalist in that beginning.  Didn't seem to fit for me.  That is , of course, personal preference.
    2. I would probably go for a more impactful lead.  It is a short segment.
    3.  I would not know what to classify it as.  I think it's great tune and in between genres or inclusive of several.  I think that's a good thing.
    So, I like the song a lot and can't wait till you do your masterful engineering thingys to it.  

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: IJenNeh - African Gospel/Pop Music - Been Through the Fire 2015/03/18 08:06:48 (permalink)
    I couldn't really hear the bells clearly, but they did add a punch to the organ a bit.

The guitar solo is not good. It's too high and weak sounding.  Play it an octave lower ...perhaps even 2 octaves lower.....and have the guitar player put some emotion into it.  I don't think the melody currently being played is necessarily a bad thing... it's the tone and lack of emotion that makes this less than good.  Lower it and put a grittier distortion on it... not the high-gain distortion that one sounds like it has.... let it growl a bit.

Genre/style:  typical pop CCM although dated a number of years. (maybe 15 or so)   Something about it kinda reminded me a bit of  some of Linwood Cooley's music..... which was phenomenal at the time.

BTW: Good to see you back with new music

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Tom Riggs
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1752
    Re: IJenNeh - African Gospel/Pop Music - Been Through the Fire 2015/03/18 08:20:21 (permalink)
    I would classify this as contemporary christian rock.

I like the song a lot. I think the bells are ok but you might consider using a steel drum sound or another percussive melodic instrument. Just experiment till you find what seems to work best.

The mix is not too bad and I like the vocal harmonies.

I agree with the previous poster that the vocals "na na" in the beginning could be done without and wait for the lyrics.

You have a solid performance here so once you settle on the sounds etc the mix should come together nicely.

I have not been around here much either in the last 2 years so its good the hear a familiar voice.

i7-3770k OC at 4.5Ghz, asus p8z77-m, 16g g.skill aries 1600 c9 ram, Noctua d-14 cooler, RME HDSPe Raydat, Motu FastLane, Nvidea GTX 980 ti 6G, windows 7 and 8.1 pro x64. Sonar Platinum and x3e currently installed

My Music 
    My YouTube

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1