Helpful ReplyLets talk Drugs...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/02/24 19:09:55 (permalink)
Rain
dubdisciple
Hmmmm..maybe we should steer this convo to include music. Are there any people of the school of thought  that drugs helps them create? I'm not. The only thing that woukd get finished if i went into the  studio on weed is lots of Doritos. Yet, I know guys who will get high and the will write and record amazing songs.

In terms of recreational use, whatever people want to do...

As for the rest, I don't believe that something that slows you down, messes up your perceptions and affects your intellect negatively is of any benefit in terms of creativity. 

IMO, absorbing mind-altering substances to access creative potential is like cheating oneself out of an opportunity to know oneself, to access and express one's full potential and to be self-reliant. 

Whenever I think of music,  I can't help but draw parallels w/ Bruce Lee's teachings in the Tao of Jeet Kune Do - it's about reaching your full potential and expressing yourself, facing challenges and seeing them as opportunities to improve yourself. 

I agree with everything you said....for me.  Whether it is a placebo affect or simply a lowering of creativity blocking inhibitions, some people seem to get their desired results in a psycho-actively induced state of mind.  I would much rather be able to get to that place on my own, but can't knowck for those who take what for them is a more instant gratification.
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/02/26 10:44:40 (permalink)
I used to use drugs a long time ago.

pot, cocaine, speed, crystal meth (we called it "crank"), did acid a few times but didn't like it.  I never got into the needle scene, for me it was either injested, smoked or snorted.  but did a lot of it back in the 80's.

that was a long time ago and far, far away.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/02/26 11:05:28 (permalink)
I grew up in a 70's household where both parents smoked pot, did the occasional trip etc. I have lots of great memories of fantastic days out in the country with my family, their friends and kids, and I've since been told "oh yeah, everyone was on acid that day." Of course this sounds shocking now, the kind of thing the newspapers would have a field day with, but I guess things were different back then.

Funny story - my dad once made some very strong hash cookies and put them in a tin on a high shelf. He also made my brother and I a batch of the same cookies but without the hash, so we wouldn't feel hard done by due to the smell of freshly baked treats wafting through the apartment. I was about 5, my brother 7. Well we ate through our batch quickly enough and located the "forbidden" tin. Wasn't that hard to climb up and get it. We ate 3 or 4 each before my dad stopped us.

My dad panicked when he realized we'd eaten them. He stayed up all night with us and kept us off school the next day. Apparently we were just really drowsy and laughed a lot. I wouldn't stop asking questions about the sky and my brother slept most of the time. I honestly think that because we were kids and walking around with tripped out minds anyway, we took it in our stride. In the end we came down off our little cookie trip and were fine. Back to school the next day.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/02/26 11:44:55 (permalink)
Beagle

pot, cocaine, speed, crystal meth (we called it "crank"), did acid a few times but didn't like it.  I never got into the needle scene, for me it was either injested, smoked or snorted.  but did a lot of it back in the 80's.

Bad doggie!

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/02/26 13:14:27 (permalink)
craigb
Beagle

Bad doggie!

yes, I was.

whimper.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
dubdisciple
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/02/26 17:11:53 (permalink)
Not a fan of acid. Had a roommate give me acid without me knowing. When I moved out he gave me a candy bar. Thought it was an odd parting gift. I should have known something was up because this was the roommate that would do things like huff Scotchguard. One day as I was settling into my new place, I decide to eat the candy bar. For the next 14 hours I discovered every secret the universe had along with the  answers to EVERYTHING. I created a song about 20 minutes long. Pretty sure I figured out the cure to cancer and got on a first name basis with God. I even jotted it all down in case I forgot. Unfortunately when I crashed and woke up my "brilliant" manifesto was many pages of pure scribble.  My fiancee found my behavior and ramblings the previous night odd but harmless and the song decent. At that time I had NO idea what happened and questioned my sanity. One day I bumped into old roommate and he asked how I liked the acid he gave me. Still not connecting the dots, I asked what he was talking about. He then explained the acid was in the candy bar and I finally connected by "magical trance" with plain ol hallucine induced delusions of granduer. I was pissed but still found humor in it. I really should have known better than to consume anything from him.
webbs hill studio
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/02/26 18:07:07 (permalink)

Whenever I think of music,  I can't help but draw parallels w/ Bruce Lee's teachings in the Tao of Jeet Kune Do - it's about reaching your full potential and expressing yourself, facing challenges and seeing them as opportunities to improve yourself. "

interesting parallel considering the autopsy into his death
"also showed that there were trace amounts of cannabis in his system, which the doctor originally tried to blame for the death. However, upon further investigation, the ignorant doctor was shown to be incorrect as cannabis cannot realistically kill anyone."
not having a go at you but references to his frequent use of hashish abound and folklore posits he used hashish to slow down his movements as the camera could not keep up.
I agree with most that,pot especially with it`s ability to distort psychomotor co-ordination is a hindrance to learning but once you have mastered your instrument and established muscle memory it can be liberating and creative for some-as the saying goes-one mans meat is another mans mouthful

sharke
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/02/26 18:07:07 (permalink)
I took acid like candy in the summer of '95. Lots of mushrooms too. I've been on some pretty heavy Jim Morrisonesque trips and enjoyed them thoroughly, although it's not for everyone. I think the key to getting through a strong hallucinogenic experience is to retain your sense of reason and never lose sight of the fact that it's just a wacky chemical coursing through your brain wreaking havoc. As soon as you start perceiving it as a mystical experience, that's when the potential for terror arises IMO.

I think when it gets to the point where you don't recognize any of your friends (partly because they all have monkey faces) and you can't remember any of their names, that's when you've had too much acid.

I really think it can alter your brain permanently though and wouldn't seriously recommend it to anyone.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/02/27 15:04:44 (permalink)
webbs hill studio

interesting parallel considering the autopsy into his death
"also showed that there were trace amounts of cannabis in his system, which the doctor originally tried to blame for the death. However, upon further investigation, the ignorant doctor was shown to be incorrect as cannabis cannot realistically kill anyone."
not having a go at you but references to his frequent use of hashish abound and folklore posits he used hashish to slow down his movements as the camera could not keep up.

I get that. :)  

But I'm interested in his teachings, not the biographic details, the wisdom, not the man. Principle, not form. Which really is the Tao of Jeet Kune Do at work, if you think about it - distilling the essence. :P

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/02/27 15:12:03 (permalink)
sharke

acid.

I really think it can alter your brain permanently though and wouldn't seriously recommend it to anyone.

I saw Peter Green on a 'comeback' tour sometime in the early '90's. It was one of the saddest things I've ever witnessed, he could barely play.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
sharke
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/02/27 15:55:38 (permalink)
I like this quote from George Harrison about getting turned off by the whole LSD thing:

"We went up to San Francisco in a Lear jet. Derek took us to visit a disc jockey, and we went straight from the airport to the radio station in a limo. The DJ gave us some concoction and then we went off to Haight-Ashbury. I went there expecting it to be a brilliant place, with groovy gypsy people making works of art and paintings and carvings in little workshops. But it was full of horrible spotty drop-out kids on drugs, and it turned me right off the whole scene. I could only describe it as being like the Bowery: a lot of bums and drop-outs; many of them very young kids who'd dropped acid and come from all over America to this mecca of LSD.

We walked down the street, and I was being treated like the Messiah. The Beatles were pretty big, and for one of them to be there was a big event. I became really afraid, because the concoction that the DJ had given me was having an effect. I could see all the spotty youths, but I was seeing them from a twisted angle. It was like the manifestation of a scene from an Hieronymus Bosch painting, getting bigger and bigger, fish with heads, faces like vacuum cleaners coming out of shop doorways... They were handing me things - like a big Indian pipe with feathers on it, and books and incense - and trying to give me drugs. I remember saying to one guy: 'No thanks, I don't want it.' And then I heard his whining voice saying, 'Hey, man - you put me down.' It was terrible. We walked quicker and quicker through the park and in the end we jumped in the limo, said, 'Let's get out of here,' and drove back to the airport.

It certainly showed me what was really happening in the drug culture. It wasn't what I'd thought - spiritual awakenings and being artistic - it was like alcoholism, like any addiction. The kids at Haight-Ashbury had left school and dossed out there, and instead of drinking alcohol they were on all kinds of drugs.

That was the turning-point for me - that's when I went right off the whole drug cult and stopped taking the dreaded lysergic acid. I had some in a little bottle (it was liquid). I put it under a microscope, and it looked like bits of old rope. I thought that I couldn't put that into my brain any more."

James
webbs hill studio
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/02/27 16:15:37 (permalink)
nice one sharke-pretty well sums up my experience except I wasn`t a Beatle!!

cheers
craigb
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/02/27 17:11:47 (permalink)
Like everything else, I found benefits when taken in moderation.  

jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/02/27 18:20:00 (permalink)
I have no regrets about the hundreds of times I was experienced. I do feel sometime as if the "doors of perception" were left slightly ajar.. but that's OK.
There is absolutely NO way to explain anything that LSD does. How can you describe 360 degree vision and seeing into infinity, two infinite lines of anchs and peace signs coming from and going to infinity, in a curved line from and to each side... running right through your head, all covered with moving, multicolored paisleys and mandalas, in through the front and out the back and without looking you see it all, 360 degrees. I guess you had to be there.
Some of my friends drove old trucks, some drove mustangs or GTOS... I rode a Comet! Slept on Owsley's floor... no regrets, it was all HIGH adventure to me!
However, that was then and this is now. I had no fear at all back then, just anticipation.. these days, nah. Ithink it would be FREAK OUT time! Who Are The Brain Police.... da da da...

ARE YOU EXPERIENCED?
If you can just get your mind together
Then come on across to me
We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise
From the bottom of the sea

But first, are you experienced?
Have you ever been experienced?
Well, I have

I know, I know you probably scream and cry
That your little world won't let you go
But who in your measly little world
Are you trying to prove that
You're made out of gold and, eh, can't be sold

So, are you experienced?
Well, I have

Let me prove you...

Trumpets and violins I can hear in distance
I think they're calling our names
Maybe now you can't hear them, but you will
If you just take hold of my hand

Oh, but are you experienced?
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful...

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
craigb
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/02/27 19:02:40 (permalink)
Timothy Leary's dead.
No, no, no, no, He's outside looking in.
Timothy Leary's dead.
He'll fly his astral plane,
Takes you trips around the bay,
Brings you back the same day,
Timothy Leary. Timothy Leary.

Timothy Leary's dead.
Timothy Leary's dead.

Along the coast you'll hear them boast
About a light they say that shines so clear.
So raise your glass, we'll drink a toast
To the little man who sells you thrills along the pier.

He'll take you up, he'll bring you down,
He'll plant your feet back firmly on the ground.
He flies so high, he swoops so low,
He knows exactly which way he's gonna go.

He'll plant your feet back on the ground.
He'll fly so high, he'll swoop so low.
Timothy Leary.

He'll fly his astral plane.
He'll take you trips around the bay.
He'll bring you back the same day.
Timothy Leary.

jbow
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/02/27 20:29:52 (permalink)
craigb
Timothy Leary's dead.
Timothy Leary's dead.

Timothy Leary's dead.
Timothy Leary's dead.

Along the coast you'll hear them boast
About a light they say that shines so clear.
So raise your glass, we'll drink a toast
To the little man who sells you thrills along the pier.

He'll plant your feet back firmly on the ground.
He flies so high, he swoops so low,
He knows exactly which way he's gonna go.

He'll plant your feet back on the ground.
He'll fly so high, he'll swoop so low.
Timothy Leary.

He'll fly his astral plane.
He'll take you trips around the bay.
He'll bring you back the same day.
Timothy Leary.

They wrote that song after spending time at the Brotherhood of Eternal Love's Idyllwild commune when John Griggs was still alive. Leary and his family was living there at that time. They wrote To Our, Children's, Children's, Children next, thought to be influenced by all the kids running around and their experience there. Lots f acid and hash there... they brought in tons of Afghan hash and were behind Orange Sunshine. Am I caught in a loop?? Bubba??

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
jbow
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/02/28 09:41:13 (permalink)
I was thinking more about Leary last night. You know he was big into "ego death" on LSD. He and Alpert did a re-write of the Tibetan Book of the Dead as a manual of sorts for tripping. I think that is what they meant by Timothy Leary's dead... however. Leary had a HUGE ego, I guess he couldn't see it. His wife even said that later, after they outlived their welcome with the Black Panthers in Africa after the BEL, the Weathermen, and the Panthers came together to help him escape from prison. The BEL put up the money, Weathermen did the work, Panthers took him and his family in. Yeah, he ego for someone preaching "ego death".

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
jbow
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/02/28 13:11:25 (permalink)
I wore this to town yesterday and not one person even noticed... I think I am like Tom Petty in his quote, "I get uncomfortable if I start to look too good". I guess I like to keep them guessing.
I can't get the shirt picture to copy but it is on a blue tee. I even wore it to the pharmacy to pick up prescriptions. I was disappointed that no one noticed. I got a few "looks" at lunch but no one said anything. Oh well, I thought it was funny!
The place that sells them has literally hundreds if not thousands of designs, page after page.

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/03/04 20:08:52 (permalink)
OK I WANT TO KNOW WHERE THIS PLACE IS! I think Montana  .....This is not fair! 

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

craigb
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/03/04 20:48:44 (permalink)
bayoubill

You think it's Montana? 

craigb
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/03/04 20:49:13 (permalink)

sven450
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 945
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/03/04 20:58:25 (permalink)
Great conversation. Anyway, long time smoker and random drug dabbler.  I hadn't smoked in a while, decided to partake, then , as I always used to do, decided to put on some headphones and see what I could hear.  I put on the new Beck album Morning Phase, and man, it did NOT disappoint.  That album is meticulously produced, gorgeously recorded and sounded absolutely fantastic at that moment. Truly stunning.

Of course, it sounds great in the car on the way to work too, but DAMN, that reminded me of some of the upsides to an occasional dip into the bell jar.  If you have not yet heard the album, just give the first two tracks a listen.  I'll let them speak for themselves.

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
Roland Octa-Capture            
Win 10 
i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
Some songs
Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
Originals:
 https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/03/05 01:13:57 (permalink)
Oh Shure they "SAY" they're from Montana and they like fat chics 

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

dubdisciple
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/03/05 01:50:19 (permalink)
an fyi, beck's album is on sale for 99 cents on google play
dubdisciple
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/03/05 01:51:50 (permalink)
bayoubill

i know far too many people who actually smoke every day
craigb
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/03/05 11:27:14 (permalink)
Me too (but I live in the Portland Metro Area so that's pretty normal around here!).

What initially surprised me the most were how many of them held higher level management or IT jobs (let's just say that it certainly didn't affect their performance at work).

dubdisciple
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/03/05 13:40:16 (permalink)
craigb
Me too (but I live in the Portland Metro Area so that's pretty normal around here!).

What initially surprised me the most were how many of them held higher level management or IT jobs (let's just say that it certainly didn't affect their performance at work).

That blew my mind when I moved here. I have watched high level staff in just about every industry, including CEOs baked while on the job. 
sharke
Re: Lets talk Drugs... 2015/03/05 20:58:20 (permalink)
I don't know how people smoke and work. I can't even trust myself to leave my apartment with my keys if I have a toke 

James
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1