Waves/Digico IOX

Author
fwrend
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 709
2015/03/03 14:06:19 (permalink)

Waves/Digico IOX

Interesting new 12 channel audio interface with nice options.  Will be interested to hear reviews.

http://www.waves.com/hardware/digigrid-iox

EDIT: sorry, looks like this requires the Digigrid system and possibly the IOS hardware.
 But on some more research, it seems it is useable on it's own with any DAW.
post edited by fwrend - 2015/03/03 17:13:40

6 Replies Related Threads

JohnEgan
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 543
    Re: Waves/Digico IOX 2015/03/05 14:33:52 (permalink)
    Hey,
    I was looking at this also, wondering if anyone has used with Sonar?, and what's the quality of their preamps, apparently "World class"? Thought I was sold on RME, but now wondering again which type of upgrade for new interface, I/O type, and computer to choose, USB, Thunderbolt, Firewire? ETHERNET, (assuming most standard LAN ports), its probably the most likely to still remain constant on PC (not on MAC, now uses its TB port for ETHERNET port, adaptor required), TB on PC may or may not evolve, Firewire interface becoming ancient or not available for new PC's, or MAC (but continuing on audio interfaces?), USB 2 changing specs almost daily (today its USB 3.1, at least its backward communication compatible, not speed wise).

Anyway I'm starting to go through manual, it says its compatible on its own to PC and most DAW's, no other proprietary hardware needed, it doesn't say SONAR specifically, but anything ASIO supported. However, also it may be more practical if used in conjunction with one of their server/processing systems, to run many plugin effects with  "live" monitoring without noticeable latency, and/or reduce PC CPU loads while recording and monitoring, and some types of DAW plugins can be loaded into its StudioRack software, maybe (somewhat like ProChannel, I believe). Although Sweetwater indicates in contrast not on its own without adding one of their DSL servers units, so not sure which it is? The IOS version includes the DSL server but mucho $$$, but I may not need a new PC with this.
    I wonder what will be new tomorrow?

Ill try and post what I find out.

Cheers     
    fwrend
    Re: Waves/Digico IOX 2015/03/06 08:11:48 (permalink)
    Yeah, I am very curious as well. More than I would be able to spend but I really like the idea of 12 quality preamps in a single rack space and use of Ethernet connectivity and expandability.
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Waves/Digico IOX 2015/03/06 09:29:12 (permalink)
    fwrend
    Yeah, I am very curious as well. More than I would be able to spend but I really like the idea of 12 quality preamps in a single rack space and use of Ethernet connectivity and expandability.

While Ethernet connectivity is certainly flexible/affordable, I've yet to see any Ethernet based protocol that offers low round-trip latency.  ie: Dante' goes down to about 10ms.
    If you're not ever going to play/monitor in realtime thru software based processing (ie: recording a DI bass while monitoring thru an AmpSim), then it's a moot point.  
    If you want the ability to play/monitor in realtime thru software based processing/EFX, it's a major limitation.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    fwrend
    Re: Waves/Digico IOX 2015/03/06 10:54:21 (permalink)
    Tanks Jim - great points.  For myself, I am thinking in terms of live tracking without monitoring.  But for everything else one certainly needs take those points into consideration.
    JohnEgan
    Re: Waves/Digico IOX 2015/03/06 11:00:34 (permalink)
    Their claiming .8ms itself, and between their other networked devices + DAW time, (so if not using DAW plugins, could be quite fast). But like you say, to consider how often taking advantage of this, and monitoring with multi FX while recording many channels, in a small studio. You'd really need to use one of their servers to take advantage of it using FX plugins "live", so IOS model (8 micpre and server) may be best deal if 8 is enough. 
    At least you guys get some good prices, like from Sweetwater. Unfortunately up here in Canada, after exchange rate and tax, tack on about 35% more to USA price. IOX is >$3000, the IOS is like > $4400, then the Waves plugins $$$$. However if they are good mic pre's it could be somewhat of a good price (no high Z inputs).
    Up here the RME UFX $3000, (the 802 - $2600), but only 4 micpre built in. (despite "free" trade agreement). Id probably still get dinged the equivalent in duty if I came down there to buy something.  
    JohnEgan
    Re: Waves/Digico IOX 2015/03/06 11:35:53 (permalink)
    At this point, I may just invest in some more straight micpres for this current, need and use line inputs on my old M-Audio PCI card  audio interface, until my PC craps out. It still works pretty well for its age, and usually fast enough, 8 analog I/O, S/PDIF I/O, MIDI I/O, Word clock, 96K sampling rate. Problem is Id like to upgrade my PC, but everything is PCIe slots now no PCI slots, so looking for new interface. I don't think there are any kind of PCI to PCIe adaptors, to allow compatibility, or Id probably just keep using the M-audio interface.    
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1