Turn off reverb on plugins before mixing?

Author
DougCPilot
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 111
2015/03/05 17:56:58 (permalink)

Turn off reverb on plugins before mixing?

I remember reading once that all the synth, drum, etc. plugins already have reverb on them and they sound great on their own. But when you use them all in the same song, the various reverbs muddy the mix. The advice was to turn off the stock reverb and apply your own reverb to all of them so that they sound like they're in the same space. It makes sense to me and I'm wondering what others think and do. I haven't done it in the past but if it would improve my mixes, maybe I should give it a try.

How does everybody feel about this? Do you routinely do it? Do you think it makes it easier to get a good mix?

Doug

"It's got to be the going, not the getting there, that's good." H. Chapin

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=890009

12 Replies Related Threads

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: Turn off reverb on plugins before mixing? 2015/03/05 18:12:53 (permalink)
    I usually turn off all reverb for a rough mix and then I introduce one reverbn on a bus into the mix later. But I don't always do it the same way and I don't think there are any hard and fast rules on it.

I have been known to mix and match reverbs in a mix. After the mix stage and further into the fx part of a mix some mixers stage reverbs. They might take one that they like the early reflexions in and add another for more space.....but this takes experience or trial and error. The guys who are good at it can make it work but the guys still learning the tools usually end up with mud. I don't necessarily claim to be in the first group :) The fewer instruments involved the better if mixing/staging reverbs. They can either augment or fight one another.
    I might sometimes use a reverb that came with a particular synth because it might bring out the very best in that particular sound. Most noobs tend to err on using way too much of it.Since I compose some etherial music I might use it more liberally than say...a guy writing funk.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: Turn off reverb on plugins before mixing? 2015/03/05 18:30:18 (permalink)
    DougCPilot
    I remember reading once that all the synth, drum, etc. plugins already have reverb on them and they sound great on their own. But when you use them all in the same song, the various reverbs muddy the mix. The advice was to turn off the stock reverb and apply your own reverb to all of them so that they sound like they're in the same space. It makes sense to me and I'm wondering what others think and do. I haven't done it in the past but if it would improve my mixes, maybe I should give it a try.

How does everybody feel about this? Do you routinely do it? Do you think it makes it easier to get a good mix?

Doug

I have flip-flopped on this issue.  I am now leaning towards the camp of stripping reverb off, but it always comes down to listening. The convo itself is good in that it forces me to take a look at what is going on with my plugins.  I used to simply throw in what sounded good to my ears when auditioning a sound from a plugin without thinking about which built in effects were making it sound so good.  By examining the structure of presets the answer is sometimes is clear on a case by case basis.  Sampletank 3 uses lots of effects on presets yet somehow tend to sit well in the mix where as other synths turn my mix to mud until i turn off the verb. I think I'm at a place now where i avoid patches with a lot of reverb to begin with or use them only on tracks that are sparse enough that the reverb fills in the space.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Turn off reverb on plugins before mixing? 2015/03/05 19:58:21 (permalink)
    Most virtual and hardware synths have reverb built into the voices, along with a bunch of other effects.  And it is true that too much overuse of reverb can smear things up.  On the other hand, not everyone is trying to present a "live and true" document, as if all the instruments were played live at one time in one room and need a single room reverb to complete the illusion.

You will come up with your own "mix' (pun intended) of techniques and tricks.  Both ways of working are valid.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: Turn off reverb on plugins before mixing? 2015/03/06 04:49:13 (permalink)
    I like the idea of using separate reverbs for mixing and switching all the synths reverbs off. I'd use a much better quality reverb, and the sounds are but in to the same space. I can also tune into that sound more, and sit in one view and get them balanced more intuitively. The main exception to this for me is if the sound is meant to contrast and the reverb is more of a 'special' effect. 

I've watched these Videos twice in the past year, and he uses 3 reverbs, but with 3 different characteristics, one he calls the Office (I think) a really close reverb, then a space and a plate I think. I haven't tried mixing with even 2 reverbs yet, but I like the idea of this, so combined they create space, but you can put your sounds into them differently, and use that to create a different separation. 

You may want to skip 1 of 4 and get into the mixing part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s590qVm8uc0

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Turn off reverb on plugins before mixing? 2015/03/06 06:05:11 (permalink)
    There is no right answer to this.  It also depends a lot on what type of music you are producing as well.  For example if you are producing electronic music and you are using a variety of synths (hardware or software) I have actually found things can sound better when you use the built in reverbs/effects of many different instruments.

Earlier on I used to switch off a lot of built in reverbs/effects but I have found in many cases you want these parts to be more separate in nature.  It helps to set them apart from each other and built in effects is an excellent way to do it.  It will save CPU power too in the process.

All of the hardware synths I use feature built in effects.  I have learned to program them more deeply and as a result they are all adding their own quite distinct character all helping to separate the instruments much more so.  Especially once you start toning them way down too and put them back into subtle mode rather than swimming mode.  Before you right them off spend some time playing and programming the effects to the max.  Often you end up creating nice processing that may just surprise you. 

Many people turn the effects off these things not knowing enough about the effects themselves.  With some care and programming very effective effects can be applied within the instruments.  In many cases the built in effects are very integral to the patch. (eg the chorus in a Roland Juno 106. You won’t get that effect anywhere, period) Take them off and they are gone.

But this may apply to electronic music for example.  It may not work so well in an acoustic or rock track though. Then it may be better to switch a few of them off and put more than one part into a suitable effect or space as per the OP.  eg to create the effect of several things being in the same space.  It may work for some things but it can hinder other situations.  You need to evaluate. 

Some synths have killer reverbs and effects, way better than a lot of DAW effects too.  And lots of em. There are 16 effects processors in my Kurzweil PC3K and 56 in the Novation Supernova II. Yes folks 56!  And they sound bloody fabulous too.  You would be foolish to switch these off!

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2015/03/06 06:21:10

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Turn off reverb on plugins before mixing? 2015/03/06 11:03:16 (permalink)
    Synth reverbs can sometimes sound a little "cheap," but sometimes this is what you want for effect. Other times, like in the case of Native Instruments' Skanner XT for example, the on board reverb is beautiful.

I tend to err on the side of turning the inbuilt reverb off and using my own. I feel much more control of the mix like this. What if you want to use a mono reverb on a stereo patch, and the synth's reverb is stereo? What if you want to narrow the stereo image of a reverb, or pan it differently? You might want to have the sound on one side of the mix, and its mono reverb on the other. There are loads of creative things you can do with reverb if you're using your own. I have ValhallaRoom, ValhallaVintageVerb, Breverb and a couple of convolution reverbs with tons of responses. To me that's all the reverb I'll ever need and can handle every situation.

If I was going to leave the onboard reverb on a synth patch, I think it would be in a sparse mix where there wasn't much else going on. Otherwise I think its wise to handle your own reverbs so you can stop things from getting too muddy. You generally can't, for instance, EQ the lows from a synth reverb.

Also consider not using reverb on some parts, or even at all. If you want a very clean sound with loads of clarity you can sometimes get away with not using any reverb in a mix at all and creating a sense of space and depth by clever use of delays alone.

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Turn off reverb on plugins before mixing? 2015/03/06 15:15:48 (permalink)
    In a sparse mix I would be more inclined to turn the built in FX off and use an external reverb. A sparse mix is when the reverbs are going to be more exposed so you will more likely to hear them.  In a dense mix once you edit the effects (see below) then you need external reverbs less so.  You will barely hear the reverbs then and the fact each synth has its own reverb character is going to be a plus in the long run. 

Also using delays is a good idea as well.

Don't forget that with many built in synth reverbs all you have to do is edit the effect.  Make the room smaller and alter the wet/dry mix so there is a lot less of it and restore the patch somewhere so the new effect mix comes up everytime.  Still sounds like people are too lazy to edit the built in synth effects.  That is the problem here.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Turn off reverb on plugins before mixing? 2015/03/06 16:56:50 (permalink)
    to me,
    it makes the most sense,
    to have dry tracks (when using artificial source) so you make those decisions later....
    during mixing.

if you are capturing live sources that includes actual room sounds,
    these may or may not work with reverbs that have been brought in from soft synths.....

and it seems silly to me, to have multiple reverb sources,
    for general mixing.

of course, it all depends on the particular song being mixed.
    special effects, and all that, not included.

but if you are committing soft synths to hard waves, to free up CPU or whatever,
    i'd print it dry.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re: Turn off reverb on plugins before mixing? 2015/03/06 17:02:40 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans
    There is no right answer to this. 

+1... great way to start your post Jeff.

Do what sounds good, and what sounds right for the song... it doesn't matter how you get there. I generally strip all reverb, but I'll leave any other effect in place - providing it fits. During mix I'll use 2 - 3 reverbs on sends and that helps to keep my "space" sounding pretty even. I should state that I am after natural sounding mixes - which is the biggest reason I do it that way. It's certainly not the only way to get things done.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    czyky
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re: Turn off reverb on plugins before mixing? 2015/03/07 01:16:15 (permalink)
    All good advice for Doug. Listening to your tracks on Soundclick, Doug, you really don't need to worry. Just do more of what you're doing. If you DO want to try the strip-off-the-canned-reverb-for-each-track-and-apply-a-master-reverb-on-a-bus-instead approach, I'm thinking maybe try that in "Slide Into" and "Like Old Times" for example. Your mixes certainly aren't muddy, they're fine (nice guitar spread in "nothing in common" and your vocal harmonies are jes' lovely--jes' sayin'), but sometimes I think the different instruments (like in "Old Times" for example) don't sound like they're in the same (virtual) room. Which may or may not be okay with you, but maybe you could try to put your elements into the same space with the above-posted suggestions and see what you think. (Another fer instance: You have an effective echo on your vocal in "Mr. Lonelyhearts", maybe that echo vibe could/should carry to other elements in the song as well, as in a master reverb? Or, should the other elements be bone dry, to let that vocal echo sing out, so to speak? Or should...well, I could go on all night with the "or shoulds" but a) the family cat is bugging me to feed her and b) that's YOUR job ) Try it with a remix of something you've already done, or--even better--try it with your next NEW piece and let us hear it!

"I can't think of a single example of where a big company buying a small company has ultimately been good for consumers." --bitflipper
    www.reverbnation.com/markadamczyk
    www.adamczyk.com
    DougCPilot
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re: Turn off reverb on plugins before mixing? 2015/03/07 09:09:41 (permalink)
    Thanks to all for the input. You've got me thinking about aspects that I haven't considered. Normally I'm going for a natural sounding mix but my prog rock influences have me throwing in curve balls occasionally.

Adam, Mark (sorry), thanks for taking the time to listen to some of my songs. Most of those are pretty old and I don't have the raw tracks, so I can't go back and try a remix. Plus, I'd rather look forward. (BTW, feeding the cats is also my job!)

Right now I'm trying to finish up a brand new song that's a much simpler arrangement- (Cakewalk-SI) drums, rhythm guitar, (synth) flute, and lead vocal. In keeping with my usual "can't leave well enough alone" habit, I also recorded a bunch of harmony and background vocals for the last verse, chorus, and fadeout. I'm debating whether I want to keep them or not. The song has a nice casual feel throughout without them, but when they come in I can't decide whether it sounds really cool or really dated (think the band America, who I loved back in the 70's.) I think I'll post both versions and "let the people decide".

Anyway, I think I'll try freezing those synths dry and using a common reverb for all of the elements to try and get a live recording feel.

A question: I'm also just now exploring the virtues of using busses, so correct me if this is wrong: The way to do this would be to have a bus just for the "room" verb (with the mix set to 100% wet) and then route the other busses to the room bus using the aux sends, post fader? That way I can control the overall amount of reverb with that one fader independent of everything else?

Doug
    post edited by DougCPilot - 2015/03/07 19:05:59

"It's got to be the going, not the getting there, that's good." H. Chapin

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=890009

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Turn off reverb on plugins before mixing? 2015/03/07 17:05:12 (permalink)
    Yes, that is how you set up a post fader fader.  The send could be on either tracks or busses, but keep track of which is which.  Double reverb on a guitar track and guitar buss might be too much.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1