Helpful ReplyBest Vocal Libraries for Kontakt

Author
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
2014/03/14 14:17:00 (permalink)

Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt

I'm getting slightly tired of using the same cheesy vocal patches . I'm interested in realistic choir libraries and realistic sounding female vox. Any suggestions?

One other question-  Is there one company that stands out as the best maker of premium Kontakt libraries? 

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2014/03/14 15:24:12 (permalink)
I purchased Olympus Micro Choir a while back for use in SFZ format, but it can also be used in Kontakt for additional functionality - something I completely forgot about until just now!
http://www.soundiron.com/instruments/choirs/olympus-micro/

Even the limited $20 version is fun to use, so I can imagine what the "real" libraries are like!   There's a good video at the bottom of the page that's worth watching to get a better idea what $20 gets you.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Sycraft
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 871
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2014/03/14 16:26:29 (permalink)
I really like the Soundiron Choirs as well. I opted for their elements one, which is cut down for the full version and doesn't have phrases, but it still great. I'd have a look at their stuff.
stevec
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2014/03/14 16:46:44 (permalink)
I was listening to some of the Elements demos earlier.    

SteveC

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Kostas
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2014/03/14 18:52:17 (permalink)
Hmmm this is big one http://cinesamples.com/products/voxos/
but the cost is too, (hm it was 1k once), better to read soundonsound or other review to know what it can't do.

sorry, my English
Glyn Barnes
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2014/03/15 01:28:16 (permalink)
Not saying they are the "best" but here are the two I have, they are excelent and reasonably priced.
For solo female vocals - Voice of Rapture: The Soprano by Soundiron
For choir Olympus Elements by Soundiron

If the quality of these is anything to go by the larger, more fully featured libraries from Soundiron will be awe inspiring.

Alternatives, I don't have these but they have a good reputation.
Strezov Sampling - Storm Choir
8dio - Liberis and Requiem 

if you are looking for something very different 8dio also have their interesting "forgotten voices" solo series. These are quite old now and would really benefit from being upgraded to take advantage of Kontakt 5 time machine features.

Non Kontakt options include East West's Symphonic Choirs, a few users frequent these forums so they may pipe up later.
post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2014/03/15 05:21:13

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
Bajan Blue
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2029
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2014/03/15 05:21:29 (permalink)
Sonokinetics do some interesting ones - Turkish - Arab voices - quite a few different types.

http://www.sonokinetic.net/

Nigel

Nigel
Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
www.devinelie.com

jimusic
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1325
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2014/03/15 14:12:46 (permalink)
stevec
I purchased Olympus Micro Choir a while back for use in SFZ format, but it can also be used in Kontakt for additional functionality - something I completely forgot about until just now!
http://www.soundiron.com/instruments/choirs/olympus-micro/

Even the limited $20 version is fun to use, so I can imagine what the "real" libraries are like!   There's a good video at the bottom of the page that's worth watching to get a better idea what $20 gets you.

Thanks for the link Steve.

Considering all the demo tracks they supply on their site, it would be nice to have at least some level of variety among them.
I'm always amazed & usually disappointed when a web site has virtually all the same sounding examples for their demos.

From what I could tell after listening to almost all of them, is that they sound like ancient latin singer templates that could, should, or even were used in 'Rosemary's Baby', 'The Exorcist' and 'The Omen', among others, anxiously awaiting to usher in the arrival of the Antichrist! 

Come on guys - more demos = more variety!

Do yourselves this one-time favor & more sales will most likely be your ongoing reward.

I was more than willing to part with the $20 clams, but I just kept hearing the same style over & over again, and yet never heard what I wanted.

Just sayin'...

stevec
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2014/03/15 14:58:37 (permalink)
I hear ya (pun intended).

The demos are very similar.  But it was the "how to" videos that gave me a better idea of how the librares can be used.  And even though the Micro version is very limited in syllables, using it in Kontakt allows cross-fading to create new variations.   Not bad for $20 even if it has somewhat limited use.   And it does sound pretty good.

Until I can afford something more I'm sure I'll find a use for it now that I have Kontakt.

SteveC

Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);

jimusic
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2014/03/15 16:50:21 (permalink)
stevec
I hear ya (pun intended).

The demos are very similar.  But it was the "how to" videos that gave me a better idea of how the librares can be used.  And even though the Micro version is very limited in syllables, using it in Kontakt allows cross-fading to create new variations.   Not bad for $20 even if it has somewhat limited use.   And it does sound pretty good.

Until I can afford something more I'm sure I'll find a use for it now that I have Kontakt.

Hey Steve,
So does it provide the basic Oohs & Ahs - both male & female for $20?

That's all I really need for some simple pop songs backings.

Sycraft
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 871
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2014/03/15 18:21:57 (permalink)
It does have that. You just pick them with drop down or keyswitch. That said, I'd look at Elements instead. Not so much because of the additional vowels, but because it sounds a lot better to me. Now, maybe Micro can be made to sound good with proper programming, but Elements sounds great just as is.

...and I don't know about you but to me that sounded like a challenge saying "Please play with your toys and make a demo!" Oh ok twist my arm :).

This is a simple example with the "ahh" sound from Micro and Elements. Since old videogame music is what I like playing with, that is what it is (Descent if you were wondering). Also it is a useful test since this is not composed or tweaked at all for the libraries, this is just an ahh choir line fed in to it with no tweaking, other than balancing the volume.

Here is Elements
Here is Micro

Same MIDI data, same everything except volume level (micro plays louder than elements). I just unmuted one and muted the other inside Kontakt.

Micro isn't bad given the price, I don't know of anything else in that price range at all, but Elements is just far better to my ears. It also has other features like more vowels, a sort of simple phrase builder (where you specify a patter of vowels to cycle through) and so on.
jimusic
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2014/03/15 19:51:01 (permalink)
Hey Sycraft, thanks so much for the info & demos.
Much appreciated. I'll check out Elements as well.

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2014/03/15 21:22:19 (permalink)
Gotta throw in a +ya for Soundiron. I've got the Mars and Venus package. They are stellar.
ToneCarver
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1655
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2014/03/15 22:44:33 (permalink)
Realivox "The Ladies" is a nice set of female solo singers for Kontakt: http://realitone.com/realivox

Glyn Barnes
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2014/03/16 01:07:32 (permalink)
jimusic

So does it provide the basic Oohs & Ahs - both male & female for $20?

That's all I really need for some simple pop songs backings.

For basic oohs and aaahs the choir in the Kontakt factory library is not too bad, but Olympus elements is a lot better for these vowel type pads, I use them more than the phrases.

Of course what you want to do with the sounds is important, most of these libraries tend towards the epic classical choir. "The Ladies" as mentioned by Tonecarver is more pop orientated than most.

The track in my signature uses a couple of the choirs in M-Tron pro. I tried replacing them with some more realistic choirs but I thought the 'tron choirs were best in this context.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
Starise
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2014/03/18 12:34:54 (permalink)
Thanks guys. I had no idea there were so many different libraries like this out there. Some of those are are little dark sounding, at least my demo listens seemed to point to that.  Some of the higher caliber libraries that Glyn mentioned. I'm sure that they could fit into almost anything given the right programming though. 

" The Ladies" was one I checked out recently and was pretty amazed at the realism and up close feel I got with it. Like you say, would be wonderful for pop music.

Olympus looks like a home run...I plan to look into that one more. Their pricing structure is very fair and the quality of the samples is first rate. Thanks Steve for the heads up on that one.

I don't use vox samples in a big way, more like salt and pepper. Here is an example of how I usually use a vox sample.

https://soundcloud.com/starise/days-of-splendor

You almost can't hear it. In this case I used the mellotron I bought from UVI awhile back. To me it sounded better than the staple ahhs I had in Kontakt....not that they are necessarily bad but they are starting to sound too vanilla to me. Apparently someone else thought so too and made some other libraries. Soundiron is very different but I like the way it sounds.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

roalin
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2015/03/04 09:29:23 (permalink)
Ever interested in ethnic/eastern vocal libraries, this one is fresh and diverse.
Rast Sound "Mideast Vocals"
--rastsound.com/downloads/mideast-vocals/
It is for KONTAKT | WAV.
Lots inside,
* 6 Solo Playable Multisample Vocal Instruments (KONTAKT)
* 6 Long – Short Sample & Loop Players (KONTAKT)
* 37 Long Improvisations
* 38 Short Improvisations
* 32 Natural Loops
* 33 Processed Loops 
Demo Video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apCOwNmVcP8
post edited by roalin - 2015/03/09 17:31:04
skitch_84
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 480
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2015/03/06 01:05:23 (permalink)
This isn't a traditional western sounding choir, but it's one of my favorite vocal libraries. It's a Slavic Women's Choir from Impact Soundworks called Vocalisa. It sounds incredible and is a blast to play and write with. 
http://impactsoundworks.com/products/vocal/vocalisa-slavic-womens-choir/

I make heavy use of it in my track "The Oath" if you want to hear it in action from a regular user like me (not a demo from the company). 
https://soundcloud.com/ch..opher-porter-7/the-oath

Chris Porter
www.cportermusic.com
Listen to my original work on Soundcloud and YouTube
Get my original soundtracks on Bandcamp 
Sonar Platinum "2017.04", Windows 10 64-bit, ASUS Z170-A, i7 6700K (4.0GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM, 250GB SSD 850 EVO (OS/Sonar/Plugins), 1TB SSD 850 EVO (Sample Libraries), 3TB WD Black HDD (projects/audio), Noctua NH-D14 Cooling Unit, PreSonus AudioBox USB Interface, M-AUDIO Oxygen49
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2015/03/06 12:30:51 (permalink)
Vocals are really hard to do well. Especially solo voices. Things like Realivox Blue do alright on sustained and drawn out parts, but the quick changing articulations sound robotic to me.
roalin
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2015/03/06 17:47:24 (permalink)
That is true because human voice is so diverse and reflects quickly even if there is a little non organic movement.
And this is why we produce not just solo instruments but improvisation-phrase instruments as well.
When you blend those, it becomes more natural-organic.
At least this is where we ended up in Mideast Vocals library for KONTAKT.
post edited by roalin - 2015/03/09 17:30:21
bogdank
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2017/02/01 20:24:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2017/02/06 12:05:11
I use a lot of choir samples for the classical/Russian liturgical pieces. It may sound strange but the SOV by Spectrasonics so far gave me the best performance for this type of music. It is a legacy library that still seems to be available from them in Akai format (I converted first to Gigastudio and recently to Kontakt using the Chicken Systems Translator).

I just tried Soundiron Olympus (full version) and was very disappointed with the quality of the voices. They also did a bit of false advertising for the full chorus claiming that they have "4 Multi-dynamic True Legato Vowels: Ah, Eh, Oh, Oo" (as well as soft 'mm'). That is true for the women's choir (Venus), but not for the men's choir (Mars). The men's choir has only Oo and Mm in soft version (piano). The other vowels are forte (or perhaps ff since they really yell).

So, if you are looking for Carmina Burana type of experience, you might be happy. For anything else it would be terribly overpriced. (full version is $549 at the time I'm writing this). I can only guess how pathetic the $20 version would sound...

The only possible value from Soundiron could be true legato (for Venus choir) since you can also do it in soft version as well as ability to create phrases and go beyond simply vowels. However, due to low quality of the singers in the choirs they sampled you may not be happy in all registers. For example, the sopranos lacked proper vocal technique and in the upper registers they did not have overtone mostly because they did not have their voice positioned properly (instead of resonating in the head, they were signing mostly from the throat and were a bit squeaky). They would also have a bit weird and strong vibrato in the high register which is not welcome in Renaissance or liturgical pieces. Their range was also below hi-C as far as I could tell.

I did not expect the quality to be like the Tallis Scholars, but I at least expected female singers that can reach high notes without effort and have proper pitch without vibrato. You can easily add vibrato when you need it, but you cannot get rid of it once it is sampled in.

Finally, the men's choir (Mars) did not have much range at the bottom. Apart from having those extremely loud yelling like notes that you can use a few times after which it starts sounding like some extremely loud Army choir singing military music. For liturgical music and Gregorian type pieces you need very deep steady notes in both piano and forte but not too loud dynamic. Using volume/velocity and (linear) filtering cannot dig you out of that hole.

I did not try EW Symphonic Choir. I was actually thinking of getting that one, but took Soundiron since it appeared that it had a better interface for phrase creation. However, I'm afraid the EW might also be with very limited dynamic range. It seems that most of these choirs provide cheap loud yelling voices and a bunch of useless "effects", "swells", "screams", "noises", etc., which you cannot use too much in the Choral music. For Choral music you need very rich selection of dynamics, ALL vowels (Ah/Oh/Oo/Eh/Ii/Mm), without vibrato and as large as possible vocal range (both low and high notes).

I am not aware of a single choral library that could satisfy those MINIMUM requirements. It's nice to be able to add phrases, staccato, etc. to the mix. But if the raw material is cheap, dull, and low quality, your end product would sound the same...

If you know of any library that could live to the above standards I outlined, I'd like to hear about it.

Bogdan Kosanovic, www.reverbnation.com/mysteriouswaysmusic/
Dell Precision T5500, 72GB RAM, Dual X5670 @ 2.93GHz, 12 cores, 2x1TB SSD (Samsung 850 EVO), Windows 7 Pro 64bit, SONAR Platinum
Emu 1820m, MOTU 828mkII FW, MOTU MTPAV/USB, Mackie D8B, Alesis HD24, Behringer Ultra-Curve PRO, Mackie HR624mk2
Emu Proteus 2000, Alesis QS8, Emulator X3, Kontakt 5.6.5, Arturia V Collection 5, Hellicon VoicePrism+, TC Electronic R4000

Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Best Vocal Libraries for Kontakt 2017/02/03 23:31:51 (permalink)
Spitfire is supposedly working on one.  While I have several of the above, this is what I'm waiting for...Lotta folks are.

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1