Sound card line-in audio latency

Author
TimDale
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2015/02/17 08:53:39 (permalink)

Sound card line-in audio latency

So .... my PC has suddenly decided to add about a quarter of a second latency on the sound card line-in socket (Creative X-Fi). It's not sonar causing it because the latency is there even when sonar isn't running. I know a lot of people have faced this problem before, anyone have a solution? I've fiddled with just about every sound setting on the PC, creative apps and sonar, and even re-installed the sound card drivers, but all to no avail. Makes it a nightmare to sequence external synths & drums.

22 Replies Related Threads

Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/02/17 09:47:50 (permalink)
    I'm actually surprised the latency isn't much more with Creative's Sound Blaster X-Fi as they're not made for pro audio dedicated DAWs. Are you using ASIO4All or the drivers from Creative? Either way, I'm suspecting that it's this audio card that's going to be your problem. You might want to look into getting a good audio interface that's designed for pro audio (recording/playback) and won't give you these headaches.....(i.e check out the Focusrite interfaces).

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    TimDale
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/02/17 10:08:42 (permalink)
    I'm using the Creative drivers. I have actually ordered a USB Audio interface anyway because my line-in is a little noisy. Hopefully will arrive next week. Although you say I should expect latency I haven't had any until a couple of days ago, after a month of using sonar and over a year of using Cakewalk Home Studio 9 before that, all on the same card.
    Mesh
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/02/17 10:47:14 (permalink)
    TimDale
    I'm using the Creative drivers. I have actually ordered a USB Audio interface anyway because my line-in is a little noisy. Hopefully will arrive next week. Although you say I should expect latency I haven't had any until a couple of days ago, after a month of using sonar and over a year of using Cakewalk Home Studio 9 before that, all on the same card.

That's quite impressive on Creative's part.......Sonar is genereally quite demanding in this dept. and for you to be able to use it this far is remarkable. Of course, I'm only going by all the complaints of people using SB audio cards in Sonar and the numerous issues.
    Which card did you order?

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/02/17 11:05:13 (permalink)
    The hidden issue with on board and MME drivers is that there is this drift in timing you might not notice. Your audio card is your timing master. And this is where a $5-$45 Audio card is faulty. 

Most of us who started using computers 15 or more years ago started out with on board audio. It was all there was. The fancy upgrade was to a PCI card. Good ones where made and some are still in service like the Delta or Motu. But the good ones had proper ASIO drivers. Creative claimed ASIO drivers and I so bought one in 2003. It never did run properly in ASIO mode. It worked best in MME mode, And later in WDM mode via asio4all. I was always fighting with my recordings timing. I'm picky about recording bass as example and had never had a problem using hardware recorders. I blamed it on the software which was Home Studio. 
    Midi was not a problem as that gets quantized to the grid but why did my audio tracks sound out?  
    I soon learned that each audio track I recorded was not in sync with the others.  It was actually random where they would line up. They also drifted over time, what a mess!  And just by enough that you couldn't see it unless you zoomed way in. Timing clock issues= drivers= audio card

I returned to using my Yamaha MD8 hardware and my Atari for midi for another 5 years until the Atari died. I then got smart thanks to the forum here and bought an M Audio interface and all was ,, well it was better and I could now be in sync. So it only took me 10 years to get this working :) 

Wait for your Audio interface to arrive. I hope you purchased the one you need.  
    post edited by Cactus Music - 2015/02/17 11:18:23

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/02/17 12:02:20 (permalink)
    the x-fi's are terrible for any serious audio.
    move to Plan B.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/02/18 14:17:49 (permalink)
    Equipment status symbol issues aside, the problem is that you were running the current setup with acceptable "latency" and now it has become too long. First what do you mean by latency and why do you say it is on the sound card line in? That phrase would seem to mean that if you input live audio into your sound card, there is a half second delay before it shows up somewhere. Where is that somewhere and what is it going through to get there? Note that your problem description does not even indicate if you are routing through a DAW, let alone what effects etc. might be involved.

The usual way that "latency" is experienced is that there is a delay between the MIDI send from a controller until the triggered event in a softsynth produces a corresponding output at your sound card's audio out. If that is your problem, your description does not say so. You need to provide full routing information in sufficient detail so that someone can help you, otherwise all you will get is snarky Soundblaster stink. Blaming the tool is always the easiest, but often not the most accurate answer to a problem.

batsbrew
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/02/18 16:34:24 (permalink)
    i owned a X-fi card.
    i know of what i speak.

pure experience,
    without the hyperbole

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

TimDale
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/02/19 05:11:16 (permalink)
    Okay to explain the audio ......
    I have a number of external hardware synths wired through a mixer and fed into the line-in socket on my Creative Labs X-Fi sound card in my PC. The output is either on speakers or headphones. I have been using Cakewalk Home Studio 9 for 2 years on this PC with no problems. I upgraded to Sonar so I could use VSTs. That's when the problems started. There is now a noticeable delay between hitting keys on the synth and the audio coming out of the speakers. I plugged the headphones into the mixer with the PC speakers still turned on, and you can hear a distinct double hit of every note. The problem persists whether Sonar is running or not, so theoretically it's something to do with the sound card config. I had a problem with latency when I first installed Sonar so I decreased the ASIO buffer latency from 50ms to 20ms and that cured it. Suddenly now without warning the latency is back, and nothing will get rid of it. The ASIO latency was still 20ms, I tried reducing it further to 10ms but it didn't make any difference.  (The only way I can now use my external synths in Sonar is to slide the recorded notes left by 1/8th bar (at 120bpm), i.e. 0.25 seconds, and then it works. Hardly ideal.)
    TimDale
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/02/19 05:13:22 (permalink)
    What I have ordered as a experiment is an external USB audio interface by Behringer (stereo in, stereo out). I will see if this solves the problem (by essentially bypassing the sound card).

TimDale
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/02/19 05:15:57 (permalink)
    .... and to complete the answer, the SB sound card has all effects, eq, and other options all turned off.

dwardzala
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1470
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/02/19 09:28:04 (permalink)
    If the issue started happening when you migrated to Sonar, it is definitely due to the deficiency of the Creative Card.  Home Studio 9 was a more primitive program that didn't tax the sound card as much as Sonar does.

The Behringer interface is certainly a move in the right direction, but I don't have any experience with it or recall seeing anybody discuss it, so it may or may not get you all the way to where you want to be.

Dave
    Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
    MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
    Win10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
    M-Box Mini v. 2
    Win 10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
    https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

slartabartfast
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/02/19 15:56:16 (permalink)
    TimDale
    Okay to explain the audio ......
    I have a number of external hardware synths wired through a mixer and fed into the line-in socket on my Creative Labs X-Fi sound card in my PC. The output is either on speakers or headphones. I have been using Cakewalk Home Studio 9 for 2 years on this PC with no problems. I upgraded to Sonar so I could use VSTs. That's when the problems started. There is now a noticeable delay between hitting keys on the synth and the audio coming out of the speakers. I plugged the headphones into the mixer with the PC speakers still turned on, and you can hear a distinct double hit of every note. The problem persists whether Sonar is running or not, so theoretically it's something to do with the sound card config. I had a problem with latency when I first installed Sonar so I decreased the ASIO buffer latency from 50ms to 20ms and that cured it. Suddenly now without warning the latency is back, and nothing will get rid of it. The ASIO latency was still 20ms, I tried reducing it further to 10ms but it didn't make any difference.  (The only way I can now use my external synths in Sonar is to slide the recorded notes left by 1/8th bar (at 120bpm), i.e. 0.25 seconds, and then it works. Hardly ideal.)

So the routing is MIDI keyboard controller out via either standard 5pin MIDI connector or USB> unspecified MIDI interface or USB> MIDI track input of Sonar (so far there is no place to introduce latency except with a humongous MIDI buffer setting in Sonar)>Sonar MIDI track output> unspecified external synth input via MIDI cable or USB MIDI (again no place for latency)> External synth audio out> mixer in (no mixer effects or processing specified)>mixer out > sound card audio line in (still no place to add latency)> Sonar audio track with unspecified Sonar audio buffer setting (no Sonar or other software effects specified, but effects applied here is where most people get their latency) > (guessing) sound card audio line out > headphone or monitor/amp&speakers.

The usual cause of the introduced latency is that the effects applied on the Sonar audio track either require a lookahead buffer which means that the data is deliberately delayed so that data that has arrived in real time can be evaluated relative to data coming later and adjusted. This is typical of "mastering" plugins. Or that there is a very large audio buffer that holds up the data until the buffer fills and empties. When you moved to Sonar, you changed a bunch of settings by default, and you also got a bunch of new effects that might be problematic if applied in real time. Make sure there are no effects running in Sonar and see if the latency gets better, if not make Sonar's audio buffer smaller.

If the sound card or processor was being strained by the higher demands of Sonar the symptom would not be that latency was increased, it would be that audible dropouts would occur as the data stream ran dry. In such a case, you would be advised to increase Sonar's buffer to avoid the dropouts, and it would be that increased buffer, not the "weak" sound card that would introduce the latency.

Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/02/20 20:10:20 (permalink)
    What I have ordered as a experiment is an external USB audio interface by Behringer

Oh my. I bet it doesn't come with ASIO drivers either. I have one of those too, it came with a mixer. It works fine for anything but Sonar. I use it for live playback at gigs. It won't solve your problem at all. 

And Bat and me are not just being interface snobs,,, my advice comes from wasting years fighting PC audio and the problem all along was poorly written audio drivers. 
    There is no solution other than purchasing a proper audio interface with proper ASIO drivers... go ahead and chase your tail for another year.. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

TimDale
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/03/03 09:53:24 (permalink)
    Let's try a different angle :
    Leaving Sonar out of the equation (it's not running), any external audio being routed to my sound card speakers/headphone experiences a latency that wasn't there until recently.
    My PC also has on-board audio (Realtek on ASUS motherboard), if I use the line-in and line-out of that, I get no latency. However, if I route the on-board audio line-in to the main speakers (on the sound card), latency is back. 
    Any audio from the PC itself (samples, media players, VSTs) experiences no such latency.

Unfortunately I can't use the on board sound all the time as Sonar doesn't support it.

p.s. I had already ordered the Behringer audio interface because of another issue, that of noise on the line-in. However, if anything, the Behringer is worse. And still got the audio latency.

> There is no solution other than purchasing a proper audio interface with proper ASIO drivers... 
    Can you recommend any (that won't break the bank) ?

bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/03/03 10:35:51 (permalink)
    Does it make any difference whether the card is set to 48K vs 44.1K, or bit depth 16 or 24?
    dwardzala
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1470
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/03/03 11:45:13 (permalink)
    The only thing I can think of is that the Creative card is sharing an IRQ with something else that is blocking it frequently.  Dealing with IRQs is getting very deep into the O/S.

Dave
    Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
    MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
    Win10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
    M-Box Mini v. 2
    Win 10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
    https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

Mesh
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/03/03 11:55:50 (permalink)
    TimDale

> There is no solution other than purchasing a proper audio interface with proper ASIO drivers... 
    Can you recommend any (that won't break the bank) ?

If the inputs/outputs match your needs, I can highly recommend the Focusrite_2i4. Excellent driver support from Focusrite and I got mine for under $150. Check with AudioDeluxe, JRR shop, Sweetwater etc...and see who can offer the best deal.

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    slartabartfast
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/03/03 12:48:47 (permalink)
    TimDale
    Let's try a different angle :
    Leaving Sonar out of the equation (it's not running), any external audio being routed to my sound card speakers/headphone experiences a latency that wasn't there until recently.
    My PC also has on-board audio (Realtek on ASUS motherboard), if I use the line-in and line-out of that, I get no latency. However, if I route the on-board audio line-in to the main speakers (on the sound card), latency is back. 
    Any audio from the PC itself (samples, media players, VSTs) experiences no such latency.

p.s. I had already ordered the Behringer audio interface because of another issue, that of noise on the line-in. However, if anything, the Behringer is worse. And still got the audio latency.

I expect you need to solve the problem that exists in your setup before you are going to get any audio interface to work. And before you are going to do that you need to be able to explain the problem to yourself and others. The description above of what is happening is completely ambiguous. Again I am not even able to understand what you mean by the term latency. You have left Sonar out but you have given no description of what is still in. What is the source of external audio? How is external audio getting into the system to be routed to the sound card? How is it being routed to the sound card? Generally if you take the hour or two that may be necessary to analyse and explain exactly what you are doing at each stage of the signal chain both outside the computer and in the software that handles the data in the box, the answer will become obvious to you, or the problem will be solvable by someone with more experience.

For all practical purposes it is impossible to introduce significant delay in an analog signal chain, the signal travels miles in a few milliseconds in copper and silicon. As a general rule a delay in a digital signal chain can only be due to the operation of a buffer somewhere in the system. If the signal is interrupted (because there is no buffer and processing cannot keep up with the data delivery), the symptom is not that normal sound is delivered later, but that the sound is distorted as samples are lost from the data stream--so called dropouts. The distorted sound will still usually be delivered without a noticeable delay. An undistorted delay is introduced when the data is stored in memory somewhere, and then released to the next process in the chain after a period of time. When you understand the external and internal path of the signal/data you can track down the problem.
    TimDale
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/03/06 09:05:40 (permalink)
    Okay Slartabartfast, I'll have a go ......
    I have a PC with a Creative X-Fi sound card. It has a switchable line-in/mic-in socket, and a line-out socket into which I have plugged my speakers (no surround stuff, just stereo). The PC also has built-in audio (Realtek, on an ASUS motherboard). This provides me with an alternative line-in and line-out (both normally disabled) and a front panel headphone socket, into which I have headphones plugged, configured not to cut off the speakers when plugged in.
    Externally I have 3 hardware synths (1 keyboard, 2 rackmount), running through an analogue mixer, giving a stereo out which is plugged into the line-in socket of the soundcard.
    This is how my system has been wired since I built this PC two years ago, and on my previous PC for 8 years before that. If I want to just play the keyboard, I listen through the PC speakers, or headphones if other people in the house are asleep. And this has all been fine.  For music composition, I was using Cakewalk Home Studio 9. On this I would control the 3 external synths, and possibly add audio tracks which were samples.  There was no latency (audio delay) in the system, and the midi and audio tracks always lined up fine.
    However, this meant I didn't have the option of using VSTs, so I upgraded to Sonar X3. Initially Sonar would hang the PC every time I tried to create or load a project. I upgraded to version X3b and that solved that one.  I initially had some audio delays so followed on-line advice and reduced the size of the ASIO buffer (from within Sonar) from 50ms to 20ms and that solved that one. All was fine for a few weeks, I was able to compose tracks using both VSTs and the external synths, and the audio always lined up.
    Then for no readily apparent reason, an audio delay appeared on the external audio. If I plugged headphones into my mixer and also had the PC playing through the speakers, a double hit was noticeable. I measured the delay at 0.25 seconds. Therefore, in Sonar, the only way to get the audio to sound right was to slide the midi events for the external synths 250ms to the left.  The fact that any audio generated in the PC was fine, but the external audio was delayed suggested the latency/delay was only on the line-in socket.  I tried reduced the ASIO buffer further to 10ms but that didn't change anything.  The Sonar properties screen is showing total audio latency of something like 22ms, which would be un-noticable.  I tried updating Sonar again (to version X3e) but all that did was break a couple of my VST plugins.
    Right, now ignore Sonar for a moment, as the problem occurs whether Sonar is running or not. I believe the problem to be either in the PC's audio routing or the soundcard. I tested using the PC's onboard sound rather than the Creative sound card: the synths were fed into the on-board line-in socket, and the speakers plugged into the on-board line-out socket. No audio delay. If I used the on-board line, and routed that to the sound card, there was a delay. As a result of this test, I would switch to using the on-board sound, but since it doesn't have ASIO drivers, Sonar doesn't support it. (Yes I know I could switch Sonar to a non-ASIO mode but that doesn't seem to be recommended by people.)
    You asked how I was "routing" the audio. From the windows control panel (I'm on Windows 7 btw), I select "Sound", a window appears called "Sound" with tabs labelled Playback, Recording, Sounds and Communication. On the playback tab, the creative speakers are selected as the default output. On the recording tab, the creative line-in is selected as default output, and on its properties page, "listen to this device" is ticked, and the output is selected as "default output device".  I normally had "What U Hear" as the default output device, but switched it to the speakers to rule that out as a cause. It's as simple as that.  That's what makes this incredibly frustrating, as there don't appear to be any fancy audio paths going on here.
    As other responders have pointed out, the Creative X-Fi has switchable modes, including "game" mode (which I always have used) and "audio production" mode which has ASIO support and (apparently) low-latency. Switching mode doesn't seem to make any difference.
    So that's it, with no Sonar running, and no-other audio software, and with the Windows 7 "sound" control panel routing line-in to line-out (i.e. speakers), there is a 250ms delay between the two, that wasn't there until last month. 250ms doesn't sound a lot, but it's really distracting when just playing music, and makes composition difficult and frustrating. All sound card audio processing (effects, eq, etc) is turned off, before anyone asks.  
    Any detail I've missed?

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/03/06 09:22:32 (permalink)
    Unless I missed it, I don't see what Operating System you are using. 

Also, do not have both the SoundBlaster and the On-Board audio enabled at the same time (generally best to disable the on-board in the BIOS when using a separate sound card).  There can be conflicts.  Vista/Win7/Win8 only allows one Default Audio Playback device, anyway.  The "What You Hear" (Stereo Mix if you use the on-board audio) is normally what is set as the Default Recording Device, then whatever input is used it can be used by other programs.  However, Sonar may want to see individual devices rather than the What You Hear.

But, get the basic audio issues sorted out first, before going on to Sonar. 

Some of the Xfi cards (the original cards) are not fully Win7/Win 8 compatible and some of these older models are not supported by Creative for Win 7/8 (and 8.1 can have its own issues as Win 8.1 specific drivers are needed for some sound cards).    

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    slartabartfast
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/03/06 20:55:46 (permalink)
    Still a lot of unanswered questions, but the description of the symptoms is sufficient to let me make some possibly helpful comments.

If you are designing the Windows OS you recognize that 999 out of 1000 users will only be using the audio system to listen to music. They will not care that there is any delay from the time that an audio signal is received somewhere in the computer to the time that it comes out the computer speakers, but they will be very unhappy if the sound is distorted by dropouts. So, since you want them to be able to play their music DVD, use Facebook, check email and run a spreadsheet all at once, you build a humongous audio buffer into the basic audio system. Basic Windows audio is s--l--o--w. And you want to be sure that the average user, not only cannot change the size of that built in buffer, but will not even be able to see it. ASIO, and other low latency drivers are designed to completely bypass the standard Windows audio system and communicate directly with audio applications and the processor (low level access) in order to avoid the latency inherent in the Windows audio system.

Onboard audio typically has the same design constraints and uses a higher latency driver to communicate to Windows. But when you put an audio signal into the audio in of your motherboard and listen to audio out of the motherboard you have little delay. The most likely explantation is that your onboard audio chipset is able to do a connection between its own input and output without actually going through the Windows audio system and its big buffer. That feature is called "direct monitoring" or "zero latency monitoring" when it is described as a feature of an audio interface. The routing looks like this:
    audio signal>line in>fast on audio chip turnaround>line out.

The sound setting in Windows control panel box labled "listen to this device" actually should be labeled "listen to this device using the (slow) standard Windows audio system." So checking that box results in a data routing that looks like:
    data from input device>Windows audio system>big hidden buffer>Windows audio system>target output device> target device line out. So if that is how you are routing from your onboard audio to the soundblaster, the hidden buffer we were trying to find is built in to the Windows OS itself. No delay until you try to route from the MB input to the soundblaster using Windows. Message: do NOT check "listen to this device" unless you want to add a lot of latency. The test of input into your MB inputs and output via the soundblaster is just uncovering the built in Windows OS buffer.

But if you do not check that "listen to device" box, how will you hear the output? You will not be able to hear it using Windows, but you can still get in and out using a completely separate computer program (more often two programs) that run under windows, like Sonar(1) and an ASIO driver for the soundblaster(2). The routing you want is:
    audio signal>Soundblaster line in> ASIO driver>buffers that can be adjusted in size via Sonar>Sonar>CPU for processing with calls to effects and softsynths>Sonar audio track inputs>audio out of Sonar>ASIO driver>Soundblaster>line out of Soundblaster. The Windows standard audio system is not in the routing at all, and you can adjust the ASIO/audio buffers as low as you want so long as your computer can do the processing needed in the time allotted without dropping out.

As fireberd says, there can be complications with using multiple audio interfaces even active at the same time, and it certainly makes troubleshooting more difficult. So if clearing the "listen to device" boxes everywhere is not helpful, open an account with administrator priveledges, go into device manager find and disable any audio devices that are not the Soundblaster driver. If you delete the devices they will not stay deleted when you restart, just disable them. If you have an HDMI video output, you will likely find one or more audio devices you did not know you had, which are the video system audio drivers to send sound over the HDMI cable.

Then to simplify your test setup, just connect the audio out (not USB, not MIDI connector) from your keyboard directly to the soundblaster line in (not to the mixer), create a new project in Sonar that has only one audio track, (no effects) set its input to the Soundblaster, check input echo in Sonar, set the track output to the soundblaster, and connect the Soundblaster line out to the speakers. Hit a key. The delay you hear is all the delay you can blame on the Soundblaster, the ASIO driver, or Sonar. Keep adjusting the buffer in Sonar lower and lower until you get it short enough or you get crackles.

If the system is working in that simple state, start adding things back and testing.
    batsbrew
    Re: Sound card line-in audio latency 2015/03/13 14:39:08 (permalink)
    i think that card only works at 48khz

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1