What do I need to know before buying a Rack?

Author
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
2015/03/06 09:02:01 (permalink)

What do I need to know before buying a Rack?

I'm about to buy a 4u or 6u portable Rack.

I really only need 4, but 2 of the items get how. I was thinking I might get 6 to leave empty space above the items that generate heat.

I was thinking SKB and maybe one with wheels. Thoughts?

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.

6 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: What do I need to know before buying a Rack? 2015/03/06 09:26:09 (permalink)
    If you've got units that generate a lot of heat, I'd leave space above and below them.
    SBK racks are good quality... and aren't overly heavy.
    Wheels are always helpful...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    fwrend
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 709
    Re: What do I need to know before buying a Rack? 2015/03/06 11:01:14 (permalink)
    The only other consideration should be obvious but isn't always (personal experience).  That is the depth of the rack. 

Gator also makes nice cases as well depending on what you want & need.  I use this one currently (my 2nd) - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GRB3. Caveat: the end flaps are attached so have to be folded under or hanging which may or may not be a problem where/how the rack sits during use.  Pros: well made, extra storage for cabling, good protection, & easy to carry like a suitcase (tho handles are bulky).
    gswitz
    Re: What do I need to know before buying a Rack? 2015/03/06 12:27:43 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. Jim, that settles me on the six u. Any preferred shop? Where are the deals and coupons?

I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Beepster
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: What do I need to know before buying a Rack? 2015/03/06 13:08:35 (permalink)
    Hi, Geoff... you going for a flight case type set up for your live gigs? Some nice stuff out there for that kind of thing and you can get them customized. If I were going that route (and have dreamed about such things) having an in case conditioned power strip and even onboard cooling fan or having the option of removing panels for extra air flow are things that, to me, would be worth the extra cost. I'd even see if my metal worker buddies could weld together/rivet something with some tap and dye work so I can install fans and a power supply set up.

That is luxury though and probably more expense/PITA than you want to deal with so defintiely... extra room = better and wheels... definitely. I'd also make sure you have good sturdy handles strategically positioned and check out shock absorbing features to keep the guts of your gear from getting jostled around too much.
    Beepster
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: What do I need to know before buying a Rack? 2015/03/06 13:13:32 (permalink)
    BTW... my old DAW is in a rackmount case. It's a pig and I never got to mount it into anything but eventually I'd like to maybe gut it and fill it with a more modern build. The existing guts could go into just a cheapo case so I could still use the system as is (although I do need to replace some components... it is oooold).
    gswitz
    Re: What do I need to know before buying a Rack? 2015/03/06 17:43:03 (permalink)
    Got a six u skb with wheels. Thanks for all your input.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1