Has anyone here ever used a data recovery service?

Author
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
2015/03/23 15:06:52 (permalink)

Has anyone here ever used a data recovery service?

If so... any recommendations?   

The external drive that stores all my Kontakt libraries, plugin installers, and other misc backups started clicking sometime over the weekend which I just (unfortunately) noticed this morning.   I've since turned the enclosure off, but since this is the first time I've had this type of failure I'm starting at ground zero.  The data on the drive isn't "business critical" per se, but sure would a PITA to recreate, not that I even remember exactly everything that was on there.   And no... no backups for this drive.  Hindsight and all.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

15 Replies Related Threads

Sycraft
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 871
    Re: Has anyone here ever used a data recovery service? 2015/03/23 15:49:58 (permalink)
    Yes, Gillware is who we use. They are quite good and only charge if they can recover data. However, a recovery is generally going to be $800. It is expensive because with a problem like that they actually open your drive up and replace components in a cleanroom to read the data off.
    BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Has anyone here ever used a data recovery service? 2015/03/23 15:58:09 (permalink)
    I bought R-Studio to recover a failed drive once.  Worked great for $50 or so.  This was shortly before adding a backup drive and scheduled data backups to my wife's PC 

http://www.data-recovery-software.net/

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

stevec
    Re: Has anyone here ever used a data recovery service? 2015/03/23 16:18:10 (permalink)
    Thanks, Jesse.  I appreciate the info.

Unfortunately the time required to rebuild the drive from scratch isn't quite worth $800, so if that's where rates typically fall I know what I'll be doing...   

SteveC

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

stevec
    Re: Has anyone here ever used a data recovery service? 2015/03/23 16:20:58 (permalink)
    Thanks, Bob.    I will also have a look at that one - I don't think I've come across it before.   I'm not sure if software alone will cover it, but this experience is certainly opening the door for everything surrounding the topic. 

SteveC

Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Has anyone here ever used a data recovery service? 2015/03/26 18:11:17 (permalink)
    My cat's vet had a drive crash with no backup, and they lost all kinds of billing data and customer data, so they went through a data recovery service.

They did run somewhere around $900, and did recover data, but it was a big mess, and they ended up entering it all back in manually because they found it too much of a problem to work with whatever the data recovery service gave them back.

They are now running backups per some suggestions I gave them from my days as a DBA.

That is the only set of folks I am aware of that have gone through that exercise, so I cannot tell you it would be representative of the services in general, one way or the other.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Has anyone here ever used a data recovery service? 2015/03/27 02:26:18 (permalink)
    What brand/model is the drive you have?

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Has anyone here ever used a data recovery service? 2015/03/27 08:31:48 (permalink)
    There is a freeze method.  I don't know if it really works, never tried it, but if the electronics are OK  supposedly putting the drive in the freezer for a couple of hours has worked to get data off of a crashed drive. 

This is a good example for backups.  Backups are not for "if" they are needed but for "when" they are needed.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Has anyone here ever used a data recovery service? 2015/03/27 22:50:46 (permalink)

stevec, is your hard drive just clicking and still working, or is it completely dead ?

If dead, are you sure the problem is mechanical ?  I seem to recall Craig Anderton mentioning he once swapped the circuitry from a good identical drive into a bad one to enable reading off its contents.  That shouldn't be too difficult.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    arachnaut
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1168
    Re: Has anyone here ever used a data recovery service? 2015/03/27 23:21:46 (permalink)
    fireberd
    There is a freeze method.  I don't know if it really works, never tried it, but if the electronics are OK  supposedly putting the drive in the freezer for a couple of hours has worked to get data off of a crashed drive. 

This is a good example for backups.  Backups are not for "if" they are needed but for "when" they are needed.

I don't know if that method works or not, but I have heard about it second-hand.

The 'click-of-doom' is a fairly common failure mode.

- Jim Hurley -
    SONAR Platinum - x64  - Windows 10 Pro 
    ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0;  Core i7-2600K@4.4GHz; 16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X;
    GeForce GT 740; Saffire Pro14 MixControl 3.7; Axiom 61
    64-Bit audio, SR: 48kHz, ASIO 256 samples latency, Rec/Play I/O Buffers 512k, Total Round Trip Latency 13 ms, Pow-r 3 dither 
    Bajan Blue
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2029
    Re: Has anyone here ever used a data recovery service? 2015/03/28 04:12:17 (permalink)
    Many years ago I did use a data recovery service for a business problem - unfortunately we had exactly the same experience as Bob's Vet did!! Yes they got much of the data back, but it was in such a mess that it was virtually unusable.
    Needless to say that both business wise and personally I am now very anal re backups!!!!!!!!
    Nigel

Nigel
    Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Has anyone here ever used a data recovery service? 2015/03/28 14:04:56 (permalink)
    I think that freezer thing might cause metal within to contract, possibly moving heads that were out of alignment - I think at best that it would be a crap shoot.

I much prefer taking the backups I currently do, secure in reasonable protection for my data.

Most folks that have experienced a profound data loss don't let it happen a 2nd time, by moving to some sort of backup plan.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Has anyone here ever used a data recovery service? 2015/03/30 14:25:47 (permalink)
    HDDs are all similar in that the media is an optical flat (incredibly smooth), so if the heads come to rest on them they can actually stick (called stiction). The media is coated with an oil, so it can cause this to be even worse. Heads actually "fly" 1-2 micro-inches from the surface of the media and in the days of old, the parking area was on the inner region which was purposefully pitted with a laser to make it not smooth (reduce stiction). Nowadays the arms are actually parked up a physical ramp which is driven by a capacitor in the event of a power failure to keep the heads from ever touching the media.

Depending on the year/model, the failure cause by stiction can actually rip the head off the arm (worst failure there is), since the head cannot achieve flight without the disk spinning, but there are several other less destructive modes of failure. If the media is not scratched from a failure, the data can be recovered, but the drive cannot be powered on if not reading (since it can potentially scratch more). With newer heads (MR technology), a head bumping the disk can cause a thermal spike (thermal asperity) which can cause it not to read properly for a few seconds... or actually rip/damage the write head itself. From a read perspective, neither with promote "disk failure" and the head may still be capable of reading.

Most drives will show degradation rather than catastrophic failure, so clicking (from excessive seeking) is a good indicator to 1) leave the drive spinning to prevent a catastrophic failure and 2) backup the drive immediately (even if simply copying it).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Has anyone here ever used a data recovery service? 2015/04/04 05:35:46 (permalink)
    I once made use of a data recovery service and they were able to successfully recover the data.

The problem is that if the file table can't be recovered you'll end up with a seemingly endless list of files that you'll have to go through to get the data you need. Fortunately they were able to tag the files that were part of the Operating system so that took care of about 1 million files I didn't need to go through but it was a lot of work.

In the end I decided to look for files of a specific type and be done with saving just those.

Since then I've always saved created data on separate drives so that I can easily ask it up.
    post edited by mudgel - 2015/04/04 05:48:06

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    stevec
    Re: Has anyone here ever used a data recovery service? 2015/04/04 10:45:25 (permalink)
    Thanks, everyone, I didn't realize this thread had more responses!

The drive is (or was) a 1TB 7200RPM Seagate SATA III drive used in an external enclosure.   It began with a consistent clicking sound that I happened to notice when walking into the studio one morning.   After unsuccessfully getting it up and running I turned it off.   I later tried again in a different enclosure but after a few seconds of clicking it went silent...   That's about where I stopped.

I fortunately had a second matching drive (also bought in 2011) that I never wound up using so I've since collected all my sample data back on that one.  I've also backed up everything copied over as I've went along, to a second internal drive and an external 1TB WD drive.   I plan to get a 2-3TB drive to act strictly as a backup, otherwise turned off and disconnected to preserve its lifespan.

FWIW, the cheapest clean-room service I found was $500, and there was no guarantee.  Everything else was in the $800 and up range.   Needless to say, I couldn't justify the cost, and based on some of the comments above regarding the lack of a TOC, sample libraries could be way more of a mess than not.  

Anyhow, thanks again for all the responses, I most definitely appreciate it.    Good discussion!

SteveC

Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);

YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 703
    Re: Has anyone here ever used a data recovery service? 2015/04/07 09:36:18 (permalink)
    The click of death is usually definitive.

"Easy" data recovery can work if the disk is seen as a disk, but the file system is poop.

Clicking means the head motor is not happening.

For way important stuff, the disk is moved to another same, or a way expensive drive.

A friend was able to move a disk for me. I was lucky to find a 2nd drive with the exact same model numbers.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1