Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
optimus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 316
2015/03/26 02:38:56 (permalink)

Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips?

When I see screen shots of the Track View of music done on DAWs (usually Pro Tools) in magazines such as Sound On Sound, the screen shot shows the tracks populated by dozens of discrete clips separated by blank space in between the clips. I have often wondered about why this is so.

Do recording have to be chopped up to leave blank spots where there is no audio? This would ensure no noise between musical phrases, but must be labour intensive to do all that chopping up over many tracks. Or, is this something that Pro Tools does for you? And is it something that the "professionals" do to keep their recordings "pristine".

Then, why do we bounce to clips, if all audio needs to in discrete chunks? Just wondering...

Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Roland Octacapture, Windows 7, i5 processor, 8 Gb RAM, X_Touch

34 Replies Related Threads

paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/26 06:34:12 (permalink)
    Remove Silence function is your friend here - I have it set up as a keyboard shortcut so it really isn't a big deal to do it. If you keep all the "silent" parts  that still takes up space on your hard drive, which will mount up after a while.
    I also find it makes it easier to identify what's going on visually, but YMMV.
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/26 07:13:33 (permalink)
    That is an interesting question, and my "hunch" is that it may be used to avert FX that may react to audio even if it is silence (although none come to mind readily). It also allows for editing to be more discrete (which may be the real reason). Clips also allow for FX to be used on a clip-level rather than in the entire track, which can mitigate CPU-intensive plugs.

From a "disk usage" perspective, a clip is simply a window into the underlying wav file, so it is possible to have a 40GB wav file but only be using 1 MB of it (incredibly extreme example). After I get to a certain point in editing, I will bounce clips to create a new audio file for the simple reason that playing a single wav file is easy (is all Windows Media Player does) and not CPU/disk intensive at all.

From a "big picture" perspective, I think this is more a matter of taste, since machines now have enough RAM/speed that "clips all over" isn't going to cause issues unless it gets "too intense" (like the extreme example above).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/26 07:44:07 (permalink)
    I see that particularly in tutorials about using loops and samples.
    The most common subject  in hobbyist mags (like Computer Music) is how to use sampled single hits or such in projects. Those usually start with a few bar drum loop, which is split into single hits which are FX'd individually, reversed and blaablaawhatever to make them really cool :o/ and the rhythm tracks are actually build of single hits.
    Also, guitar or horn riff (loops) are dropped here there accordingly directly from the sample/loop libraries

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    optimus
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/26 08:18:41 (permalink)

paulo
    Remove Silence function is your friend here - I have it set up as a keyboard shortcut so it really isn't a big deal to do it. If you keep all the "silent" parts  that still takes up space on your hard drive, which will mount up after a while.
    I also find it makes it easier to identify what's going on visually, but YMMV.

Now I wasn't aware of this function, that is, I wasn't aware of what it was used for as I have never tried it. Must try.

mettelus
    That is an interesting question, and my "hunch" is that it may be used to avert FX that may react to audio even if it is silence (although none come to mind readily). It also allows for editing to be more discrete (which may be the real reason). Clips also allow for FX to be used on a clip-level rather than in the entire track, which can mitigate CPU-intensive plugs.

From a "disk usage" perspective, a clip is simply a window into the underlying wav file, so it is possible to have a 40GB wav file but only be using 1 MB of it (incredibly extreme example). 

I had no idea this was the case.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    I see that particularly in tutorials about using loops and samples.
    The most common subject  in hobbyist mags (like Computer Music) is how to use sampled single hits or such in projects. Those usually start with a few bar drum loop, which is split into single hits which are FX'd individually, reversed and blaablaawhatever to make them really cool :o/ and the rhythm tracks are actually build of single hits.
    Also, guitar or horn riff (loops) are dropped here there accordingly directly from the sample/loop libraries

Yes, I am aware of these situations, but in the case of SOS, they are showing completed famous recordings.

Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Roland Octacapture, Windows 7, i5 processor, 8 Gb RAM, X_Touch
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/26 08:52:52 (permalink)
    It's very rare that any of my takes run from song start to end without a break, (unless it's a live recording of course).  If you need a short guitar bit here,  here,  and here it's easy to set the now time, press record and just record that little bit (several times).

The gaps between clips are just the silence left behind where you've not recorded anything.  It's not always the result of hours of edit/delete.

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

optimus
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/26 09:39:20 (permalink)
    Karyn, yes I do that too. But I was under the impression that you then bounced all the clips to one contiguous clip.
    Guess I was wrong. As mettelus explains, it save disk space by leaving gaps.

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/26 10:03:59 (permalink)
    optimus
    Now I wasn't aware of this function, that is, I wasn't aware of what it was used for as I have never tried it. Must try.

There's a current thread about some problems with this function :  Remove Silence Question.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    paulo
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/26 10:12:41 (permalink)
    Paul P
    optimus

There's a current thread about some problems with this function :  Remove Silence Question.

I must be doing something wrong then as it has never caused me any problems.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/26 12:16:42 (permalink)
    Many engineers in a pro studio (from where most of these PT screen shots are taken from) will cut out the dead spots for miked stuff.  There is always noise and it is an old habit.  Besides, it keeps them occupied while the producer stokes the lead singer's ego for the next take, or the band argues over doing a bass solo or something inane the engineer doesn't want to get into.  You hide your head in the work since you already know the answer and have seen this scene play out a hundred times.  It is like smoking or doodling, something to pass the time while getting rid of noise without setting up gates.

I find myself doing it at home while I'm thinking, since it is a very mechanical process like driving, taking virtually no human cpu cycles.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/26 13:20:50 (permalink)
    ^^^ Best answer.

Sadly, a big part of the explanation is also that modern pop productions are increasingly assembled Lego-style by cutting and pasting the same clip over and over, often a canned loop.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/26 14:52:37 (permalink)
    After recording, I usually tweak the timing of individual phrases. Split clips with blank spaces between are an inevitable consequence of this.

post edited by Kev999 - 2015/03/27 05:17:34

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/26 15:38:17 (permalink)
    I have noticed this with PT tutorials as well. I always wondered because it seems to be that the clips are split into musical phrases, rather than just chunks of the song like "chorus" etc. I could understand if the phrases had been punched in one at a time, but I'm guessing it's more likely that the parts were recorded in full and then split into phrases manually. I was watching one with a wah-wah guitar part split into phrases and I thought there's no way they were punched in separately.

I'm not sure I buy the disc saving explanation, seems like a pretty weak effort/reward trade off. Personally I've always wondered if some people just like to have their set out as split clips so that they have an instant overview of which instruments are playing when. If every track is one long clip, this is harder to see at a glance.

Did you notice if any of the clips were from VSTi's? If so then that would be significant since you know they would have bounced to one long clip and then split it manually. Unless of course they bounced little sections at a time with different synth settings to save having to automate it (I do that myself sometimes).

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Kev999
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/27 05:18:30 (permalink)
    sharke
    ...I'm not sure I buy the disc saving explanation...

I agree. It won't save anything if the WAV file corresponding to the original large clip is still in the Audio folder.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    paulo
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/27 05:53:52 (permalink)
    Kev999
    sharke

I agree. It won't save anything if the WAV file corresponding to the original large clip is still in the Audio folder.

When I'm done with the tracking side of the project, I "save as" to another location. I have always been under the impression that this copies only the audio that is actually used in the project and discards the rest. Are you saying that this is incorrect ?

mettelus
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/27 06:01:56 (permalink)
    When you bounce a clip, SONAR creates a new audio file, so the old one is "released" and no longer required by the project. AFAIK, if you slip-edit a wave file to a small clip, the save as is going to copy the entire wave file (not the clip window). This is something easy to check though, simply expand a clip edge and see if there is audio data behind it.

The only way to create a new file is bounce it. Again, if they are bounced together you get silence between them; the only way to make them "smaller" is to bounce each individual clip.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    paulo
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/27 06:34:36 (permalink)
    mettelus
    When you bounce a clip, SONAR creates a new audio file, so the old one is "released" and no longer required by the project. AFAIK, if you slip-edit a wave file to a small clip, the save as is going to copy the entire wave file (not the clip window). This is something easy to check though, simply expand a clip edge and see if there is audio data behind it.

The only way to create a new file is bounce it. Again, if they are bounced together you get silence between them; the only way to make them "smaller" is to bounce each individual clip.

I thought that checking the "split clips" box in the Remove Silence dialogue took care of this ?
    mettelus
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/27 07:30:31 (permalink)
    I have never used that function so not sure. Unless a bounce is involved, I suspect it just makes the clips (windows) discreet, but the underlying wave file is unaltered. Easy to verify though, just look in the project audio folder when doing.

One wave file per track is not "bad" as it eliminates the need for broadcast info of each one, and audio isn't destroyed outside the clip boundaries. With today's processing power, it is actually rather minor and more preference (nothing more).

optimus
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/27 07:33:31 (permalink)
    Whoa! This is getting far too complex for my meagre brain.

paulo
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/27 08:18:43 (permalink)
    mettelus
    I have never used that function so not sure. Unless a bounce is involved, I suspect it just makes the clips (windows) discreet, but the underlying wave file is unaltered. Easy to verify though, just look in the project audio folder when doing.

One wave file per track is not "bad" as it eliminates the need for broadcast info of each one, and audio isn't destroyed outside the clip boundaries. With today's processing power, it is actually rather minor and more preference (nothing more).

Yeah, I'm not saying it's "bad" to not do it, just that there is a benefit IMHO visually speaking with the added bonus of cleaning up the audio that's going to live on my HDD. On the occasions where I need to send any tracks to someone else for a collab project, which is not all that often in my case, then it's easy enough to "bounce to track" to restore the full track  so that it's easy for the recipient to line up.

Anyway, some guy called Craig Anderton (whoever that is) seems to think it is worthwhile.....

"At first glance, this might just seem to be a noise gate, and noise gating is one thing Remove Silence can do, but it can also save space on your hard drive. This is because Sonar won't store periods of silence within a track as audio if you tell it what you mean by 'silence'. The Remove Silence function can also physically remove the parts of a clip that contain silence, leaving a series of isolated clips.

Removing silence can recover quite a bit of space in the case of vocals, where you record a take from the beginning of the song to the end, but there are lots of long, silent spaces during the take. Just be conservative with your settings (low Open and Close values, a couple of hundred milliseconds of Hold time, no Attack, 12ms or so of Lookahead time and about 250ms of Decay), so you don't remove wanted material. And if you do wholesale silence removal on tracks, make sure you're happy with the result before it's too late to Undo."

from http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun06/articles/sonartech_0606.htm

post edited by paulo - 2015/03/27 08:27:19
    paulo
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/27 08:23:49 (permalink)
    optimus
    Whoa! This is getting far too complex for my meagre brain.

Well, you did ask......
    Kev999
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/27 09:07:18 (permalink)
    paulo
    Kev999
    sharke

When I'm done with the tracking side of the project, I "save as" to another location. I have always been under the impression that this copies only the audio that is actually used in the project and discards the rest. Are you saying that this is incorrect?

No, that's certainly correct. But it only saves HDD space if you delete the original project.

paulo
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/27 10:35:31 (permalink)
    Kev999
    paulo
    Kev999
    sharke

When I'm done with the tracking side of the project, I "save as" to another location. I have always been under the impression that this copies only the audio that is actually used in the project and discards the rest. Are you saying that this is incorrect?

No, that's certainly correct. But it only saves HDD space if you delete the original project.

Yup, obviously.
    mettelus
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/27 15:10:03 (permalink)
    I just tested remove silence and it does not perform a bounce, so the file size is unchanged. Simple test to prove to yourself:
    1.  Create a project, insert the same discrete audio clip from the media browser (I grabbed an 8 bar loop and inserted it once at bar 3, then again at bar 30 - clip used was "DMS CPC PT2 05 E MINOR CHORDS 138 BPM.wav").
    2. Check the audio folder, two discrete clips (these are identical, both 2401KB).
    3. Select both clips and bounce to new clip (creates one file, size 24.122MB).
    4. Save As (checking "copy all audio with project", and the 24.122MB file moves).
    5. Run Remove Silence (I used default settings), clip size changes, but no bounce occurs (audio is still 24.122MB).
    6. Save As (but this time check "copy all audio with project" and "Create one file per clip").
    7. This save as renders new audio files (one per clip) (clip 1 = 6387KB (due to the silent tail), clip 2 = 5517KB (as at the end of the track so has no tail).
    Again, "Remove Silence" unto itself does nothing to the underlying audio (no bounce occurs). What does change file size is the "Create one file per clip" in the save as dialog (render does occur for this).

Just to be clear on the original point for folks this is confusing - a "clip" is a window into an underlying wav file (what you are telling the DAW to use). Manipulating this window does not change the underlying file unless it is bounced/rendered, which is a "destructive edit" (the clip will no longer have access to the original file). "Destructive edit" in this case does not actually delete the original file (it is still in the audio folder), but does assign the clip (window) to a different file.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/28 08:32:16 (permalink)
    Yup.... I have seen those kind of pics and screen shots and many of them look, quite obviously to be loops that were dragged in and placed.

And yeah.... if I have the time to spare/waste, or it's noticeable.... I will use one of several methods, depending on the mood I'm in, to remove the noise between phrases with a mic recording..... I generally either process audio/mute, or use envelopes .... both have the same effect as deleting a clip without making the wave look all chopped up in the track view with a bunch of clips.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Paul P
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/28 08:47:48 (permalink)

When I asked the forum about this after watching the speed comping video it was explained to me that songs may indeed be assembled from a bunch of short separate takes.  One reason was to save the singer's voice, no point having them repeat an enter song to develop or fix a phrase.

I can't help but think that if you assemble a song from a bunch of blocks, it'll sound like it.  That's fine for something like EDM which is obviously built from blocks, but I wouldn't apply the process to something like classical music where any change to the noise floor is very apparent.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/28 10:07:43 (permalink)
    Most pop songs look like they do in PT because it can.  There are a couple of things you don't want to see getting made - legislation, sausage and pop music.  Everything is beat matched - nothing can be off the grid.  Nothing not the slightest untuned, no accidents (and we aren't talking about notes).  A lot of the tools that exist were to fix mistakes.  Now it is used to fix what is right.  So what is integral to EDM and DM is now mainstream and squeezes the life out of rock and even pop, cause life is slop.  Or at least rock and roll was.  It was about emotion much more than precision.

Of course, major productions used to have great players.  I think the Wrecking Crew movie is out - everyone should see it.  Them boys can play.  And they also added that indefinable something that is what music is about.  The walking bass line from "These boots are made for walking" was something Carol Kane, the bassist, came up with on the spot.  And basically defined the song and walking bass lines forever more.  Now even I can sound as tight as Ms. Kane, but it doesn't mean PT will come up with the intro to the song on its own.  But if that walking bass got played in the break, it is easy as pie to copy and paste a walking bass line for the intro.  Maybe fix a few notes up so it doesn't sound exactly the same or put it in a better key going in.  But it won't provide the genius to do it.  And for that you have to cut it into a phrase or bar.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/28 11:02:13 (permalink)
    It's not an entirely dismal outlook, AT. I'm a regular fan of a TV show called "Later with Jools Holland". Look for it if you're not familiar with it. Live music at its best.

The fact that nobody buys recorded music anymore has a potential silver lining: live music might make a comeback as a result, and not just mega-acts in mega-venues.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Paul P
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/28 11:26:29 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    The fact that nobody buys recorded music anymore has a potential silver lining: live music might make a comeback as a result, and not just mega-acts in mega-venues.

Having attended a few very small venue concerts in recent years, there's an incredible richness to the experience that has nothing to do with precision or mistakes or anything technical.  It all happens at the level of the relationship with the performer/s, something completely absent in recorded music.

czyky
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re: Why do screen shots of Track View in magazines always show dozens of discrete clips? 2015/03/29 14:45:38 (permalink)
    Video editing software screen shots and tutorials have the same "clip-confetti" look as the DAW screens. Granted, a video (the art formerly known as film or cinema) is practically always a bunch of clipped shots taped together (well, not "Russian Ark" or "Rope"), but for visual arts the age of linear A and B roles is long gone. It's the age of Non-Linear Editing and that applies not only music and video--it may not be so visually apparent in a word processor tutorial, but NLE is there in the typed word as well. (Hah, what is the essence of blogging, if not a rebellious (and futile) linear throwback away from the totally NLE internet?) The arbitrary lines between pre- and production and post- (in music, in video, in publishing in--you name it) have blurred and are melting away (3D printers for sculpting, anyone?). "Non-Linear" is certainly a different approach to creativity (NLC), but is it a lesser approach? Was linear better?

"I can't think of a single example of where a big company buying a small company has ultimately been good for consumers." --bitflipper
    www.reverbnation.com/markadamczyk
    www.adamczyk.com
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1