Audio Interface for a Laptop

Author
BMOG
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 638
2015/03/27 13:26:33 (permalink)

Audio Interface for a Laptop

If you are using Sonar with a laptop what audio interface are you using and how well is it performing on your laptop?

12 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Audio Interface for a Laptop 2015/03/27 16:39:37 (permalink)
    There are plenty of USB2 audio interfaces that work well with laptops.
    What type of I/O do you need?
    Will you be monitoring thru software in realtime (in which case you need lowest possible round-trip latency)?

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Audio Interface for a Laptop 2015/03/27 18:37:21 (permalink)
    Yes , that right, it would depend on what you will be doing. I use my netbook or an old P4 Laptop at gigs for music playback and either use the on board or this funky Behringer interface which is about as bad as they get for performance. But it is all you need for that. 
    If your going to work with Sonar then I would use one like my Scarlett 6i6 which performs well and is very portable. 
    If your going to run Guitar rig or heavy use VST's then your going to want a top of the line interface with low RTL as Jim say's. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

dwardzala
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1470
    Re: Audio Interface for a Laptop 2015/03/27 19:49:47 (permalink)
    Also, if its a new laptop make sure it has a true USB 2.0 port, or a USB interface may not work well with it.

Dave
    Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
    MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
    Win10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
    M-Box Mini v. 2
    Win 10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
    https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: Audio Interface for a Laptop 2015/03/28 01:22:07 (permalink)
    I have a laptop and everything is fantastic with Sonar, even with 120+ tracks and lots of busses.

I think Focusrite audio interfaces are strong. I have 2 Scarletts.

But what gets me excited when mentioning audio interfaces is the KB-37. That's my mainstay for guitar and vocals recording with no latency issues. I use Amplitube (not PodFarm) with it and I can input dry guitar to a track and hear it fully loaded with effects while playing it with no latency. Same for vocals with a mic. And that's just the starting point of good things to say about it. It just works.

In sum, I have Focusrites and really like them. I use the KB-37 as my mainstay.

A couple of clips on it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwBR1OfHRtM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRpCXWSC8TE

P.S. I'm a laptop Sonar user. Since I switched to a laptop I can't imagine ever going back to a desktop.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    BMOG
    Re: Audio Interface for a Laptop 2015/03/28 07:56:25 (permalink)
    My goal is to be able to record vocals and instruments and then dump that into my main computer
    BMOG
    Re: Audio Interface for a Laptop 2015/03/28 12:29:11 (permalink)
    I have the old Motu MK3 ultralite and it works great so I bought the hybrid so that I can be mobile and I have been extremely dissapointed with. For whatever reason the audio is defaulting to SPDIF outputs. I taking it back and looking for something else. I want to be able to record quality vocals on the level of the Motu MK3 and be mobile. I am still thinking of buying a better laptop for this so any spec reccomendation.
    BMOG
    Re: Audio Interface for a Laptop 2015/03/28 12:46:00 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry
    There are plenty of USB2 audio interfaces that work well with laptops.
    What type of I/O do you need?
    Will you be monitoring thru software in realtime (in which case you need lowest possible round-trip latency)?

Windows and USB I think firewire connections are better but that would mean buying a laptop that have a firewire connections. There is a possiblity I could use the same interface for live gigs
    Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re: Audio Interface for a Laptop 2015/03/30 12:59:42 (permalink)
    I have the ultralite for my laptop and the 828 for my desktop..

The only way that spdif is set as the default main output for the computer is if you set this up in your control panel/sounds/playback to be the default mains out device...its not an ultralite issue per se.

Other than that, the only flaw with these interfaces is that you cannot use the computer mains audio output as an input to one of the 8 output bus, and the one easy way to overcome this is to have mains out set to spdif and use a short cable to connect spdif out>spdif in.

BMOG
    I have the old Motu MK3 ultralite and it works great so I bought the hybrid so that I can be mobile and I have been extremely dissapointed with. For whatever reason the audio is defaulting to SPDIF outputs. I taking it back and looking for something else. I want to be able to record quality vocals on the level of the Motu MK3 and be mobile. I am still thinking of buying a better laptop for this so any spec reccomendation.

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
    Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
    BMOG
    Re: Audio Interface for a Laptop 2015/04/01 12:12:51 (permalink)
    Mystic38

The only way that spdif is set as the default main output for the computer is if you set this up in your control panel/sounds/playback to be the default mains out device...its not an ultralite issue per se.

Other than that, the only flaw with these interfaces is that you cannot use the computer mains audio output as an input to one of the 8 output bus, and the one easy way to overcome this is to have mains out set to spdif and use a short cable to connect spdif out>spdif in.

BMOG

I ended up getting a new unit and things seem to be working properly.  What I believed happen is I was told by Motu support that I could install both devices the Old MK3 and the Hybrid on the same computer.  After doing that is when the audio started defaulting to Spdif. Going back to Motu support they told windows can't handle both devices on one workstation, so I believe the drivers got all out of wack.  To fix my old MK3 I had to restore my computer back to a restore point before installing the Hybrid.  Now I only use the Hybrid for my Laptop and I am not having any issues

Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re: Audio Interface for a Laptop 2015/04/01 16:36:13 (permalink)
    cool, glad you got it sorted!

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
    Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Audio Interface for a Laptop 2015/04/04 06:16:47 (permalink)

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Audio Interface for a Laptop 2015/04/04 06:18:40 (permalink)
    BMOG
    Mystic38

BMOG

I ended up getting a new unit and things seem to be working properly.  What I believed happen is I was told by Motu support that I could install both devices the Old MK3 and the Hybrid on the same computer.  After doing that is when the audio started defaulting to Spdif. Going back to Motu support they told windows can't handle both devices on one workstation, so I believe the drivers got all out of wack.  To fix my old MK3 I had to restore my computer back to a restore point before installing the Hybrid.  Now I only use the Hybrid for my Laptop and I am not having any issues

It's a limitation of ASIO drivers. They can only support one device unless the devices are from the same manufacturer and the software allows you to join the 2 together.

Maybe that's why it kept defaulting to SPDIF because you would need to connect the 2 SPDIF connections to provide a synch signal for the 2 devices.

General info. I now have an RME UFX which has both Firewire and USB connections. Both provide equal extremely low latency settings. There no reason why USB can't be as efficient as Firewire but the drivers need to well written.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1