Moving To New Computer

Author
LarryPD
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2015/03/26 16:17:16 (permalink)

Moving To New Computer

Hi.
I have Music Creator 6; just updated to ver. 7 and am now wanting to move it to a new computer. Old is Windows 7. New is Windows 8.
Do I need to install ver. 6 first? Or with my product key for ver. 7, it will just install the whole thing? Being a one use license (I think), is there a way to disable Music Creator on the old computer or does it need to be uninstalled? I'm wondering if I can enable/disable so it's only active on one computer at a time, but still have it on both?

I also bought the mp3 encoder software as well as a couple other plug-ins from Music Creator. Once I have ver. 7 up and running on the new computer, do I just go to my account/purchased products, and re-download/install?

Thanks .. and yes; I'm new to all this. :)

Larry

8 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Moving To New Computer 2015/03/26 16:31:47 (permalink)
    Each version of MC is a full version and does not depend on the prior release. I believe some plug-ins were discontinued between versions and MC7 ships as both a 32 and 64bit application. From a quick look at http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Music%20Creator%206%20Touch&language=3&help=Comparison.html and http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Music%20Creator%207&language=3&help=Comparison.html several of the plug-ins dropped from MC7 will only work in 32bit MC. It will be necessary to run the unlock program for the mp3 encoder on the new machine after installing MC.

So you have a few decisions. If Win8 is 64bit, the Cakewalk Command Center will install the 64bit version of MC7.

Do you want access to the old plug-ins? Do old projects use discontinued plug-ins?
    • If so, you will need to install a 32bit version of MC. If this is the case, it may be easiest to install MC6 to get the 32bit version and use it for old projects and install MC7 64bit for new projects.
    • If not, install MC7 and forget about MC6.
    LarryPD
    Re: Moving To New Computer 2015/03/27 22:54:18 (permalink)
    Thank you scook for your help so far. I got MC 7 installed on my new computer. Apparently the only way to register it is via the Command Center? I installed that, as I also did just a week or so ago on my old computer when I originally bought MC 7. However, I cannot do anything with it. I have to log in to use the Command Center, but it won't accept my login. As I am able to post here in the forum, downloaded MC 7 via my "purchased products" page, etc. you can see that I can log on here. How in the world do I log into the Command Center? I do a lot of stuff online with accounts, other software, etc. but find all the logging in at Cakewalk rather difficult. It's probably not, but I'm sure getting stumped. :) Help? Also, where do I find in MC 7, where to insert the product key? I copied it from "my products" page.

I also have purchased a little over a year ago, "Digital Sound Factory CSC Bundle Cakewalk Sound Center Expansion Pack". Will that work with MC 7? Also, Amplitude 3 CS?
    Thanks,
    Larry ..
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Moving To New Computer 2015/03/27 23:29:33 (permalink)

LarryPD
    Thank you scook for your help so far. I got MC 7 installed on my new computer. Apparently the only way to register it is via the Command Center?

I used the Command Center (aka C3). There appears to be a process for machines not connect to the internet. Here is the documentation about installing MC7 http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Music%20Creator%207&language=3&help=Introduction.27.html 

LarryPD
    I installed that, as I also did just a week or so ago on my old computer when I originally bought MC 7. However, I cannot do anything with it. I have to log in to use the Command Center, but it won't accept my login. As I am able to post here in the forum, downloaded MC 7 via my "purchased products" page, etc. you can see that I can log on here. How in the world do I log into the Command Center?

C3 uses the same credentials. Cakewalk has implemented a Single Sign On which is used by C3, the forum, your personal account and the CW store. The link above has additional info about C3.

LarryPD
    I do a lot of stuff online with accounts, other software, etc. but find all the logging in at Cakewalk rather difficult. It's probably not, but I'm sure getting stumped. :) Help? Also, where do I find in MC 7, where to insert the product key? I copied it from "my products" page.

This is done automatically with C3. See the link above for machines not connected to the internet.

LarryPD
    I also have purchased a little over a year ago, "Digital Sound Factory CSC Bundle Cakewalk Sound Center Expansion Pack". Will that work with MC 7? Also, Amplitude 3 CS?

Yes, they should work with MC7.
    LarryPD
    Re: Moving To New Computer 2015/03/27 23:55:56 (permalink)
    A smack my forehead with my palm moment. Thanks scook. Apparently I can log onto your site with my email and password and that is what I was doing .. habit .. with the Command Center. But I have a username .. duh! .. and can log into Command Center now. Now I see MC 7 in there with the appropriate serial number. A bit puzzled that at the top of the Command Center window, it says "Trial Products" .. but maybe that will eventually go away.

I think I'm good now. I truly appreciate your patient answers .. and fast answers.

Larry
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Moving To New Computer 2015/03/27 23:59:08 (permalink)
    There are two categories at the top of C3, "Connected Products" and "Trial Products." It may not be obvious but you are probably looking at your connected products. I do not believe there are any trial products ATM.
    LarryPD
    Re: Moving To New Computer 2015/03/28 00:24:06 (permalink)
    sheeesh ... yes, I was seeing connected products. Should I be seeing in C3 what I have in "My Products" online? i.e. the mp3 software (I already got that to install from online before I had C3 working) and the "Digital Sound Factory CSC Bundle Cakewalk Sound Center Expansion Pack." I logged out of C3 and back in, but I only see MC 7 in there.

Larry
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Moving To New Computer 2015/03/28 00:35:57 (permalink)
    Only MC7 and the new SONAR are available as connected product. Legacy products need to have installers rewritten before they will show up (not sure if this will ever happen though). Legacy products will need to be downloaded as before. Unless instructed to by tech support, it should never be necessary to log out of C3, just close out the app.
    LarryPD
    Re: Moving To New Computer 2015/03/28 01:00:27 (permalink)
    Ok. I may have another question tomorrow.

Larry

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1