Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for

Author
letyourlightshine
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 110
2015/03/27 00:40:23 (permalink)

Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for

The qwerty keyboard,this has always been an issue for me,i bought an interface(ua-25)and a huge casio keyboard with midi but it was so big sometimes it would be a hassle.Then I got a few other midi keyboards and controllers but at some point the usb midi ports on all my controllers started going in and out and eventually not making the connection at all.And I wanted  QWERTY midi key function so bad,like when your at a coffee shop and don't want to bring a midi controller.
And now it is here!
So what I am trying to say is thank you,this user truly appreciates it!

25 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/27 00:59:27 (permalink)
    it will make life MUCH easier on airplanes!! I've been using a third party virtual keyboard...it's okay, but the lack of integration is an issue. Sometimes it's not sure what has the focus, and sometimes it's just squirrely. No problems so far with SONAR's.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Bflat5
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 421
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/27 01:43:26 (permalink)
    Very cool addition! I've always wondered why you couldn't use your qwerty keyboard for midi.

Custom PC running Windows 10 64, i7 CPU, 32gigs of RAM, Focusrite 18i20, Sonar Platinum.

Jackson USA and Custom Shop Guitars and Basses
    Takamine And Fender Acoustics
    Marshall JVM 410H and JCM 800
    BOSS FX (Mostly)
    Gain Junkies Forum << Come join us. It's all about Rock & Roll!
    TomHelvey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 537
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/27 02:20:51 (permalink)
    The QWERTY keyboard is a nice addition but it's still a parity feature. IMO the only way the 'bakers'/coders will know they have really won is when people posting to the feature request section can no longer come up with anything obvious. It's not going to happen overnight but if Cakewalk keeps doing what they're doing now it might actually happen. There's still a lot of work to do to bring Sonar up to date. Good job so far.

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
    PCIe: UAD Octo
    USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
    DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
    Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
    Bflat5
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 421
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/27 03:21:25 (permalink)
    Up to date? What's missing?

Custom PC running Windows 10 64, i7 CPU, 32gigs of RAM, Focusrite 18i20, Sonar Platinum.

Jackson USA and Custom Shop Guitars and Basses
    Takamine And Fender Acoustics
    Marshall JVM 410H and JCM 800
    BOSS FX (Mostly)
    Gain Junkies Forum << Come join us. It's all about Rock & Roll!
    TomHelvey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 537
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/27 03:40:03 (permalink)
    Bflat5

Duplicate, Warping, Chord Tracks, Notation functionality, Grouping, check the feature request forum for more.

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
    PCIe: UAD Octo
    USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
    DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
    Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
    orhanproject
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 154
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/27 04:38:10 (permalink)
    TomHelvey
    Bflat5

Duplicate, Warping, Chord Tracks, Notation functionality, Grouping, check the feature request forum for more.

Collapse/expand all track take/automation lanes at once, better active track highlight... :)

my music: soundcloud/orhanproject
    orhanproject
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 154
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/27 04:39:00 (permalink)
    Looking forward to try out qwerty keyboard addition on the laptop...

my music: soundcloud/orhanproject
    Anderton
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/27 14:48:37 (permalink)
    TomHelvey
    Bflat5

What do you mean by "duplicate" and "grouping"? You can clone tracks and group clips, group parameters, and quick group parameters for multiple quick changes, so I suspect you mean something else.

As to missing features, although it would be convenient I doubt any program will ever incorporate all features from other programs...you could come up with a list of things SONAR has that other programs don't have, and consider those programs to have "missing" features. For example Cubase does have a chord track feature, but it doesn't have a Matrix View, doesn't offer FX chains, can't create or edit Acidized files, etc. Are those "missing" features in Cubase, or simply features SONAR has that Cubase doesn't? Reason has a really nice sampler and SONAR doesn't, but does that mean SONAR has a missing feature or that SONAR gives you the option to use the 3rd party sampler of your choice? Is Live not doing comping a missing feature, or is it not as necessary to Live's paradigm as advanced warping, which Live does have?

The people working at these software companies are creative folks, and will always be coming up with new features. They do this to try and differentiate their programs and have unique selling points. I highly doubt there could ever be "one DAW to rule them all" although if there is, I'd be okay with it being SONAR 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/27 15:07:13 (permalink)
    I love the new keyboard. It is very handy!

Best
    John
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/27 23:12:40 (permalink)
    John
    I love the new keyboard. It is very handy!

+1    I honestly had no interest when it was mentioned, but I've quickly found it's a great way to audition VSTi patches.  Much more ergonomic for me than trying to play a real keyboard off one side while twisting in the other direction to mouse click through patches. 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/27 23:34:45 (permalink)
    Anderton

As to missing features, although it would be convenient I doubt any program will ever incorporate all features from other programs...you could come up with a list of things SONAR has that other programs don't have, and consider those programs to have "missing" features.

>>>>>>>>>>
    The people working at these software companies are creative folks, and will always be coming up with new features. They do this to try and differentiate their programs and have unique selling points. I highly doubt there could ever be "one DAW to rule them all" although if there is, I'd be okay with it being SONAR 

I've never had it run thru my brain with this explanation, but what a great comment.  I suppose if Sonar had "everything", then the "too many bells and whistles" crowd would come out of the woodwork and groan....

There are a couple small items I've purchased outside of Cakewalk (gotta love my Toontrack) that I use consistently, but otherwise I'm not missing any features.  Besides, most of the features that seem wanted, just seem to be a way to do something with 3 less mouse clicks.  How lazy is that?

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/28 09:11:07 (permalink)
    stevec
    I honestly had no interest when it was mentioned, but I've quickly found it's a great way to audition VSTi patches.  Much more ergonomic for me than trying to play a real keyboard off one side while twisting in the other direction to mouse click through patches. 

I've been using a third party virtual midi keyboard and while I find it handy try out simple things and audition patches, it's not very useful for creating actual music.  The problem is that the minute I click on a softsynth to adjust a parameter with the mouse the virtual keyboard loses focus and has to be clicked on again to get it back.  A note can get stuck on in the process.

With the new Sonar keyboard, can you click and manipulate things in a softsynth with the mouse while still playing the synth through your computer keyboard ?

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    letyourlightshine
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 110
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/28 18:48:50 (permalink)
    When someone wants new features,or other features users should not take it like it is personal.I find that so frustrating about the internet in general.I love sonar,but it isn't infallible,don't give it god status.It is my favorite DAW but there are definitely things that many people could use,features i mean.If you disagree that is ok,but don't start defending sonar when no one is attacking it.
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/28 19:21:05 (permalink)
    I'm using it all the while while remote debugging :)
    I frequently connect to my work PC to do stuff and I can now easily do realtime MIDI input via remote desktop using this.

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/28 19:32:46 (permalink)
    I was impressed with how playable it is.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/28 19:37:04 (permalink)
    Yeah, really useful feature. I've got a nice full size keyboard about five or six feet to my right that I use for serious playing. But I've already been using the virtual keyboard for tapping in basic patterns for things. Really handy to be able to do that right where I'm sitting.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    Cakewalk Staff
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/28 19:42:49 (permalink)
    gswitz
    I was impressed with how playable it is.

Its very playable. Keith who implemented the feature spent a lot of time on exact measurements to ensure that the touch keyboard was accurate and playable. He's a Juilliard trained classical pianist so if he can play it I assume most keyboardists will like it :) Its adaptive so on a big touchscreen laid flat you can actually perform with it.

Noel Borthwick
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/28 20:04:45 (permalink)
    Noel, I've already been having good fun. It's going to be used regularly by me. I think it was a genius addition and takes great advantage of the multi-touch!!

Bravo!

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/28 22:23:22 (permalink)
    I have to admit I didn't really thnk much about this feature when it was first announced. I've got a controller keyboard just as John T said. But for noodling around or doing a bit quickly I don't have to worry about setting up my controller keyboard. It just there and does what I tell it. Thanks bakers.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Anderton
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/29 00:22:11 (permalink)
    letyourlightshine
    When someone wants new features,or other features users should not take it like it is personal.I find that so frustrating about the internet in general.I love sonar,but it isn't infallible,don't give it god status.It is my favorite DAW but there are definitely things that many people could use,features i mean.If you disagree that is ok,but don't start defending sonar when no one is attacking it.

Of course SONAR could use new features...that's the whole point of the Membership program, to make them available sooner. However, it does seem the comment "There's still a lot of work to do to bring Sonar up to date" could be said about any DAW, because a lot of them don't have features SONAR does have...but that doesn't make them not up to date. It makes them different.

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/29 01:14:00 (permalink)
    One thing that has gone unsaid yet seems obvious is that CW is releasing things as they are ready not just because it has to be there with the new release. All at once release. I think this has so far paid off. I look forward to what is next. It may not be something I need often but I believe someone somewhere will find it very useful indeed. Then again I may find it highly useful. This has happened to me before. Thinking I have no use for that and later couldn't do without it!

Just keep on doing what you are doing CW. Things are looking up.

Best
    John
    stevec
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/29 12:27:17 (permalink)
    Paul P
    stevec
    I honestly had no interest when it was mentioned, but I've quickly found it's a great way to audition VSTi patches.  Much more ergonomic for me than trying to play a real keyboard off one side while twisting in the other direction to mouse click through patches. 

I've been using a third party virtual midi keyboard and while I find it handy try out simple things and audition patches, it's not very useful for creating actual music.  The problem is that the minute I click on a softsynth to adjust a parameter with the mouse the virtual keyboard loses focus and has to be clicked on again to get it back.  A note can get stuck on in the process.

With the new Sonar keyboard, can you click and manipulate things in a softsynth with the mouse while still playing the synth through your computer keyboard ?

Good question...   I've only used it so far to audition patches so I'm really not sure.  I will certainly have to try that though.

SteveC

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Cakewalk Staff
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/29 12:39:15 (permalink)
    Yes mouse and keyboard are independent so you can continue to use the mouse to change the synth params.

Noel Borthwick
    mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/29 16:42:24 (permalink)
    I'm going to have to either learn how to use my computer keyboard or operate my mouse with one of my feet! 

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

stevec
    Re: Just have to give a HUGE thank you to cakewalk for 2015/03/29 22:03:43 (permalink)
    Yes mouse and keyboard are independent so you can continue to use the mouse to change the synth params.

Nice!    Thanks for confirming, Noel.    I already like it for auditioning patches, but it's nice to know that it can go even further than that. 

So for the OP:  +1 

SteveC

Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1