Command Center: How do I set my install folders before starting the install process?

Author
timg11
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 137
2015/03/28 19:34:46 (permalink)

Command Center: How do I set my install folders before starting the install process?

I'm upgrading from X3 Producer to Platinum. I already have X3 installed where I want it, which is not defaults. I have a small SSD for the system drive C: and terabytes of space on other drives.

I don't want duplicates of existing libraries, suites, plugin, help, etc to get installed on the C: drive.

I don't see any place to set the installer destination other than the single path for the Command Center download path.
Is CC smart enough to use the existing folder locations from X3?
What about anything new that is not in X3? Where will that go?

Sonar Platinum Windows 10 64 bit, Presonus 24.4.2AI interface, Korg Kronos2 73

4 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Command Center: How do I set my install folders before starting the install process? 2015/03/28 21:04:31 (permalink)
    The settings page is accessed by clicking the gear in the upper right of the Command Center. This is the only redirection available ATM.  The core program will install on the C: drive. If this is not what you want, you will have to manually download and install Platinum. Since X3 Producer is already installed, the packages you need to complete a Platinum upgrade are:
    • SONAR Platinum
    • SONAR Help and Tutorials (if you want the local help or Reference Guide pdf)
    • Anderton Collection
    • Boz Digital Labs ProChannel Collection
    timg11
    Re: Command Center: How do I set my install folders before starting the install process? 2015/03/29 16:36:52 (permalink)
    OK I will ignore Command Center and install manually.  I assume the developers are aware of the importance of specifying the install locations, and that functionality will be added soon. Until multi-terabyte SSD drives are available inexpensively, many people will want to have control of the install paths to be able to optimize space vs performance.

I still have Sonar 8, 8.5, X1, and X2, and X3 installed.  I was previously advised to not uninstall older versions - is that still the case? Can I uninstall any of them?

Is there any sort of chart showing what functionality and extra packages existed in earlier versions that is not present in Platinum? That would be helpful in considering the implications of uninstalling previous versions. 

timg11
    Re: Command Center: How do I set my install folders before starting the install process? 2015/03/29 17:37:20 (permalink)
    I installed the Platinum files manually.  The primary Sonar installer SONAR_Platinum_UP2_Setup_21.2.0.21  asked me for install paths. However, most of the other suites and collections did not ask me where I wanted the data. They installed to C: without asking or giving an opportunity to redirect.

These installers did not ask for a path for their samples and content, and installed to C:
    • Classic Creative FX Suite  (a small install so not really an issue)
    • Engineering FX Suite  (a small install so not really an issue)
    • Studio Instruments Suite
    • Artist Instrument Collection
    • Platinum Instrument Collection
    • Studio Mixing FX Suite   (a small install so not really an issue)
    • Boutique FX Suite  (a small install so not really an issue)
    • Cakewalk Sound Center
    • Boz Digital Labs ProChannel Collection (a small install so not really an issue)
    • Brian Hardgroove Collection
    These installers did not ask for a path, but did install to my D: drive:
    • Cakewalk Loopmasters Content Collection
    • Cakewalk Sample Magic Content Collection
    • Cakewalk X-MiX Content Collection
    • SONAR Help and Tutorials  (mostly to D: although some was saved on C:)
    • Anderton Collection
    • NYC Showroom Impulses

At the end of the process, my C:\Program Files\Cakewalk contains 6.2 Gbytes of data. The total size of all the Sonar program folders is a few hundred MB. Session Drummer, Studio Instruments, and RXP are taking the bulk of that space with sample content. IMHO, that type of data does not belong in C:\Program Files, and the path should be configurable.

I did not install Melodyne, Rapture, and D-Pro, because the dates indicate there has been no update since X3.

AdamGrossmanLG
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1436
    Re: Command Center: How do I set my install folders before starting the install process? 2015/04/13 16:18:45 (permalink)
    I installed through Command Center, but you can pretty much move everything you need to after the fact.   See the folder settings in preferences.  Just move the files and update the folder there.  Would that help?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1