Celemony's Melodyne licensing oddity (or not)?

Author
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
2015/03/29 23:39:57 (permalink)

Celemony's Melodyne licensing oddity (or not)?

Hi-

A while back, I purchased Melodyne Editor v. 1.x, which has polyphonic capabilities. I never upgraded to version 2 of the Editor. When I purchased SONAR, I got a license for Melodyne Essential 2.x, which has ARA but is monophonic only.

The way the Celemony licensing works (I verified this with them) is that one license replaces the other and I can't have both active at the same time. This comes from Ulf Kaiser, so it's not like I can appeal to a higher authority!

I know that if I absolutely need to run Editor, I can uninstall Essential and run the singletrack app again to install it and reverse the process to go from Editor back to Essential, but that's a bit of a PITN. Isn't this an unusual way to handle licenses? I don't think I've come across it before. After all, I paid for the Editor license and I paid for the Essential license, since it was included with SONAR.

I can live with it, but it just doesn't seem right to me. Are there other products you know that work this way? That might make me feel better!

Thanks-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64

16 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Celemony's Melodyne licensing oddity (or not)? 2015/03/29 23:58:23 (permalink)
    I am surprised they do not allow you to upgrade to Editor v2 for free since it carries the same retail price as the Melodyne Essential you received with SONAR. Another possibility is selling Melodyne Essential and applying the proceeds to the upgrade to Editor v2.
    Susan G
    Re: Celemony's Melodyne licensing oddity (or not)? 2015/03/30 00:22:29 (permalink)
    scook
    I am surprised they do not allow you to upgrade to Editor v2 for free since it carries the same retail price as the Melodyne Essential you received with SONAR. Another possibility is selling Melodyne Essential and applying the proceeds to the upgrade to Editor v2.

Hi Steve-

That's a good point (two, really!) I didn't explicitly ask them before about a discounted upgrade to Editor v2 since it's the same price as Essential. I didn't see anything on their website that fit that scenario. I also haven't looked into selling Essential, but I will.

Thanks-

-Susan

Bajan Blue
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2029
    Re: Celemony's Melodyne licensing oddity (or not)? 2015/03/30 07:57:12 (permalink)
    Hi Susan
    I have had melodyne for years (upgrading as I go) and obviously got the free one with Sonar - however I have never registered the Sonar one as far as I know - this registration of the one with Sonar is not something that happens automatically is it? I take it you need to physically register the Sonar one with Melodyne?
    Thanks
    Nigel

Nigel
    Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

Susan G
    Re: Celemony's Melodyne licensing oddity (or not)? 2015/03/30 14:55:56 (permalink)
    Bajan Blue
    Hi Susan
    I have had melodyne for years (upgrading as I go) and obviously got the free one with Sonar - however I have never registered the Sonar one as far as I know - this registration of the one with Sonar is not something that happens automatically is it? I take it you need to physically register the Sonar one with Melodyne?
    Thanks
    Nigel

Hi Nigel-

Yes, you register/activate it with Celemony. It has a separate serial #, which is another reason it seems to me it should be treated as a separate product.

-Susan

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Celemony's Melodyne licensing oddity (or not)? 2015/03/30 14:57:17 (permalink)
    Bajan Blue
    Hi Susan
    Thanks
    Nigel

This^
    I have had melodyne editor 2 running for quite some time and when sonar bundled essentials with it, I just never registered the new essentials and continue to use editor 2.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Susan G
    Re: Celemony's Melodyne licensing oddity (or not)? 2015/03/30 15:02:18 (permalink)
    Beagle
    This^
    I have had melodyne editor 2 running for quite some time and when sonar bundled essentials with it, I just never registered the new essentials and continue to use editor 2.

Hi Beagle—

Right, that's what I would've done if I had Editor 2, but I don't. I have version 1 of the Editor, which has polyphonic capabilities but no ARA support.

Thanks —

Susan

Susan G
    Re: Celemony's Melodyne licensing oddity (or not)? 2015/03/30 15:13:00 (permalink)
    I just heard back from Celemony that there's no discount going from Editor 1.x to Editor 2.x for those of us who have an Essential 2.x license, so that takes care of that.

-Susan

ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Celemony's Melodyne licensing oddity (or not)? 2015/03/30 17:17:28 (permalink)
    Poor form Celemoney.  

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    Alchemy
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re: Celemony's Melodyne licensing oddity (or not)? 2015/03/30 17:59:46 (permalink)
    Susan G
    I just heard back from Celemony that there's no discount going from Editor 1.x to Editor 2.x for those of us who have an Essential 2.x license, so that takes care of that.

-Susan

That makes absolutely no sense.  Don't they want your money?  You couldn't tell them to void your Essentials 2.x license and restore your Editor 1.x license? They act like it's some sort of software limitation with their registration server, but they really should make some changes to it.  With the cost of their products they should have some money lying around to make a trivial change to their software so it can store multiple serials. 

Celemony seemed rigid when I asked for an extension of the upgrade offer that I got when I installed Essential from X3 Studio.  I caved and bought it anyway at the upgrade price.  I imagine if you complained a little louder, even if the CEO of the company told you "no" you could convince him to go into the database and fix whatever.  It's not like you're even asking for free software, just the ability to get the upgrade offer that is plainly listed on their site.
    Susan G
    Re: Celemony's Melodyne licensing oddity (or not)? 2015/03/30 19:16:20 (permalink)
    Hi-

I just realized I maybe wasn't clear about the upgrade price in my last post. I was thinking about Steve's comment from post #2: "I am surprised they do not allow you to upgrade to Editor v2 for free since it carries the same retail price as the Melodyne Essential you received with SONAR."

I'm sure I could still get the $99 upgrade going from Editor 1.x to 2.x, but the fact that I now have an Essential 2.x license doesn't sweeten the deal any. There's no extra discount.

I still think that since I have licenses for two separate Celemony products with two separate serial numbers I should be able to used them both without going through hoops to uninstall/reinstall, but c'est la vie.

Thanks-

-Susan

kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: Celemony's Melodyne licensing oddity (or not)? 2015/03/30 20:16:11 (permalink)
    I register my many copies of free melodyne but I don't install and activate it.  I also have Melodyne editor with the option of it transfered to an iLok.  I may do that so it isn't locked down to two machines. 
    Bajan Blue
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2029
    Re: Celemony's Melodyne licensing oddity (or not)? 2015/03/31 01:18:15 (permalink)
    Susan
    Thanks, think I understand their somewhat incomprehensible policy now!
    Cheers Nigel

Nigel
    Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

bobguitkillerleft
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 944
    Re: Celemony's Melodyne licensing oddity (or not)? 2015/04/13 04:01:33 (permalink)
    Great Product...Terrible Policies

Iv'e only been digitally recording my own things,and never used any computer before April 2011,what have I got myself into?
    Despondent Bob

https://soundcloud.com/rks26https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitmen Lenovo W540 Factoryrefurb SONAR PLATINUM,Ozone 7 N.I. KA6 Komplete 9 SSD4 Platinum Epi L/H LP Custom Headstock broken twice and fixed.Gibson L/H Les Paul 2010 Wine Red Studio stupid Right Hand Vol.Tone for Left Hand?LH84Ibanez RS135 gen.FloydRose JB Marshall 100w 2203 4x25w Celestion Green backs
    "You are what you is"-Frank Zappa "But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high"-Jimi Hendrix    
    forkol
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re: Celemony's Melodyne licensing oddity (or not)? 2015/04/14 14:06:19 (permalink)
    Susan G
    Hi-
     I'm sure I could still get the $99 upgrade going from Editor 1.x to 2.x, but the fact that I now have an Essential 2.x license doesn't sweeten the deal any. There's no extra discount.
     -Susan

I remember having a similar issue, when they had their 50% off sale, I picked it up for $49.00.  I just looked at the invoice, and that sale occurred around 6/2013, so they  may have it again.

OR, looks like Sweetwater has it for sale right now at $69.00.  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MeloEd2Up

Susan G
    Re: Celemony's Melodyne licensing oddity (or not)? 2015/04/16 02:27:10 (permalink)
    forkol
    I remember having a similar issue, when they had their 50% off sale, I picked it up for $49.00.  I just looked at the invoice, and that sale occurred around 6/2013, so they  may have it again.

OR, looks like Sweetwater has it for sale right now at $69.00.  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MeloEd2Up

Hi Michael-

That Sweetwater deal is pretty tempting, but a 50% off sale is even more so! I can certainly wait a bit. It still irks me when I think about it, though. I can't think of any other product I own that forces an uninstall/reinstall to switch between versions. Think of the uproar it would cause if Cakewalk operated that way! 

Thanks-

-Susan

Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    Re: Celemony's Melodyne licensing oddity (or not)? 2015/04/16 10:44:38 (permalink)
    Have to agree. Offer an additional discount or don't, but to not be able to use both products you legitimately own is - low.
    Problem (like for Cake's CC, and XLN's online installer) is that developers design their umbrella installation apps a certain way that covers 80-90% of use cases- but fails to consider the other unique needs. Say what you will about Cake, but they seem to be listening/responding.

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1