What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar?

Author
pariah223
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2015/03/29 15:36:33 (permalink)

What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar?

I was just curious what people's workarounds were for the long standing zoom bugs that arise with track folders and hidden tracks? i think its safe to say we wont see a fix any time soon since its been around so long, and maybe its not as big of an issue for other people as it is for me, so i wanted to see how people managed it.  Its almost game breaking for me so i feel like i must be doing something wrong, or the hard way.  This post may seem like an angry rant, so i want to clarify that it is not, and i am just trying to see how other people work that it is not as big of an issue as it is for me.  Should i just get used to the control arrow key moves, or is there something else i am missing? 

28 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/29 16:43:09 (permalink)
    It would help if you were to describe the exact nature of what you're seeing and what you're doing to prove it's repeatable in clear, easy to follow steps

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Vastman
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2508
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/29 16:55:23 (permalink)
    I have no idea what you're talking about...you just joined yesterday??? hmmmm...

Dana
    We make the future... Climate Change Music
    VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
    Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
    Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    Keni
    Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5769
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/29 17:04:20 (permalink)
    I believe I know what you're referring to as I have been reporting it since lanes were introduced...

I found a reasonable work around... I'm sorry I don't remember the forum member who thought of and implemented it... I did the same after reading his/her post...

I assigned the command Display and maximize track (I probably named this wrong, but I found it at the very bottom of the track view commands available) to the ctrl-alt-z key...

This way I simply have to remember to do the lasso first, then hit the ctrl-alt-z...

Difference being that didn't simply zoom it. It uses the ability to select which track(s) to display and then zooms the selected track/area maximized...

For my needs this is quite adequate (so far?)...

Now while awaiting a proper fix, what remains are the issues of zooming lanes...

In the Braintree release this appeared a little better as the system chooses to zoom all lanes for the selected area but at least it minimized the track size...

Still not what I want/expect which is to be able to have a single lane zoom the full height of my screen as we expect with any other zoom... The selected area fills the screen. If I want to see all the lanes, I would have lassoed them all instead of one!

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records
    http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
    http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
    Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/29 17:24:36 (permalink)
    I don't think he's referring to a workflow issue, Keni. He specified "horrible mouse zoom bugs." A "bug" implies some kind of coding error that yields unpredictable results. I guess we'll just have to wait for a better idea of what he's talking about.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Keni
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/29 19:11:10 (permalink)
    Anderton
    I don't think he's referring to a workflow issue, Keni. He specified "horrible mouse zoom bugs." A "bug" implies some kind of coding error that yields unpredictable results. I guess we'll just have to wait for a better idea of what he's talking about.

Hi Craig...

It is a definite slow down of workflow... And I'm guessing from what he said that this is the issue of using the Z key while doing an area lasso when a track is below a folder... It has been verified by plenty of people an The Bakers are well aware of it... Hopefully working on a fix to be released... Soon?

With the suggestion of another forum member, I now get around this problem as I explained above... Without this work around, trying to zoom many things results in a lot of extra mousing...

I guess I could be wrong about his topic, but I've got a feeling.........

;-)

The zoom issues such as the one I just described and the issues for lane zooming cause a lot of workflow slowdown... For me they do...

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    pariah223
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/29 21:37:48 (permalink)
    im sorry i thought it was a well known bug, ill try and explain more.  When using alt+mouse wheel to zoom, it works fine until there are folders or hidden tracks, then the view zooms to the top or to the bottom everytime i try and zoom in or out with alt+mouse wheel.  its the same as the z lasso zoom, just with alt+mousewheel.  does that clear it up at all? 

EDIT: I found this link kind of better explaining my issue, i found this link a while back so i knew it wasnt just me. 
    (cant seem to paste hyperlinks, search for sonar x3 strange zoom behavior and it will come up)

If i can supply any more details let me know.  What i am really looking for is how people zoom efficiently around there projects if not with mouse wheel or z lasso?  I found the trick with selecting and then hitting z after rebinding the key, and that kinda works, so im looking for more tricks like that if theres no fix in site for the zoom bugs im talking about.
    post edited by pariah223 - 2015/03/29 21:59:49
    FidelityMusic
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 138
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/29 21:55:27 (permalink)
    This issue is already reported plenty of times and I hope the devs are well aware of it by now. I've went back and forth with support about this and upgraded because it was supposedly fixed, but it wasn't. All we can do is wait. I posted this very same question looking for workarounds on here, Image-Line forum, and KVR, never got an answer from anyone. What I did was stopped using the mouse for vertical zooming and stuck to using the keyboard for that, it kills the workflow but I got over it at this point. One good thing about not being able to Vertical Zoom with the mouse is that Sonar handles it horribly anyways, it only zooms into one track rather than all tracks at once.

Sonar Platinum, FL Studio 11 Signature Bundle, Windows 8.1 Pro
    M-Audio Firewire 410, KRK Rokit 5 G2
    Akai MPK49, Maschine Mikro MK2, Korg NanoKontrol
    GA-990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-8320, 8GB 1886Mhz, 240GB SSD, 500GB HDD
    AMD 6750, Acer S2000HL x2
    southpaw3473
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 782
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/29 22:25:47 (permalink)
    I pretty much only use Ctrl + arrow keys to zoom in and out and to increase/decrease track size. That plus F and Shift+F to resize the whole project.  Ctrl+Scroll will move the track view left and right both in track and console view. I never really incorporated dragging the timeline to zoom.

We'll not risk another frontal assault-that rabbit's dynamite!!!

Tommy Byrnes
    Sonar Platinum
    Win 10 Pro x64 AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core 4.00GHz/ ASRock 970 Extreme4/ 16 gigs RAM
    UA Apollo Firewire/UA 2 Quad Satellite/ Focusrite OctoPre/Makie Onyx1220i Mixer  
    THANK YOU!!!
    tlawhon
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/30 00:21:22 (permalink)
    Anderton

Craig, I know exactly what he's talking about, and I would call it a bug.  Or perhaps a number of bugs, when it comes to actually fixing the problems.  And unpredictable results are a common feature of bugs, but not always.  Sometimes the results are simply inconsistent and unhelpful, as is the case with using the z key/mouse select zoom function.  Over the years I've become accustomed to working with that functionality when editing in track view, but as of the last few releases, the results are often not very helpful.

Try this:

1. Open a project with a couple of audio tracks with content.
    2. Hold the Z key down and select a portion of one track's contents.
    3. The content fills the track view, right?
    4. Press the U key to return your zoom level
    5. Open the take lanes for the track, using the button
    6. Now attempt to use the Z key/mouse select to zoom the contents of the take lane
    7. ?

This is just one manifestation of the anomalies that can be encountered with this function.  I have a more complex project right now, that will sometimes simply dump me at the bottom of my track view when I try to zoom, or some other random zoom position.  If I understood all the conditions to bring that about I would tell you, but I don't, but that does not invalidate the case, or the need for some attention by a developer.

I haven't posted about this before, mainly because it's only at the level of an irritation for me, and not a show-stopper, but it seemed like the OP needed a little support.

Dell Studio XPS 8000, Intel Core i5-750 processor(8MB Cache, 2.66GHz)
    6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz-2X2GB/2x1GB
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit
    Mackie Onynx 1640i
    Sonar X3e

icontakt
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4266
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/30 01:39:02 (permalink)
    Only two people (including me) have given the original post in this thread 5 stars so far, so vote it if you haven't.
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/CWBRN566789-Zdrag-zooming-bug-m3162434.aspx

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
    Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
    DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
    Keni
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/30 01:42:21 (permalink)
    The issue with zooming lanes is a whole other bag of worms as it is intentionally limited... That unto itself is a royal pain for me...

In Braintree there was a so called fix for the lane zoom but it seemed they decided that zooming a single lane/clip means to zoom the whole track with all the lanes... Still not right but I could see it a handy shortcut when comping...

But now Cambridge seems to have reverted this new behavior back to the less useful zoom we we're getting before...

Anyone else notice this?

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

Lord Tim
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 837
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/30 03:08:08 (permalink)
    I have to agree with Keni re: lanes zooming.

I've been giving SONAR a huge workout lately with a massive track I'm working on. Just zooming in on a vocal track to do comps is annoying for me because you can't actually lasso anything properly - the main track zooms but the lanes don't actually expand when I use the Fit Tracks to Selection workaround that I'm using while the Z-drag bug is fixed.

If I want to expand the lanes themselves, I have to drag the size up of the lanes and zoom horizontally if I want to do any tight editing work, which might actually be for a cross fade or to check to see if a transient isn't being cut off. Doing that with a working zoom lasso is literally half a second's work. This way, it's very fiddly to get it where you want and really adds a lot of time to an editing session for me.

Related to this, lanes in generally slow me down a lot anyway due to how fiddly it is finding the hot spot to change the smart tool, and many a time I'll find that I've muted a lane rather than selecting it, which means even more work. Frustrating. I'm aware I can use the HUD to change tools to fix a lot of those things but that's kind of passing the annoyance from one place to another for me.

This stuff aside, SPlat has been really great to work with overall. Solid and intuitive and is really getting the job done with whatever I throw at it.

WWW: www.lord.net.au  FB: www.facebook.com/lordtimofficial
    Bandlab: www.bandlab.com/lordtim

Cakewalk by Bandlab / DAW: i7 M620 @ 2.67 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win10 64 Bit [eng], TASCAM US-16x08 @ 5.8ms (22.7ms RTL) ASIO, Behringer UMX61 Keyboard Controller.
    Ben Staton [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 93
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/30 08:20:47 (permalink)
    Hi all,
    Earlier this month I fixed a problem that occurred when Windows is set to scale text to 150% or higher. See Control Panel -> Display -> 'Change the size of all items' on Windows 8.1 (might be slightly different on Windows 7 if I remember correctly).
    I'm wondering if it's a similar issue. Can you tell me if you have 'Change the size of all items' set to anything other than 100% (or 'Smaller' if you see a 'Smaller' to 'Larger' slider)? If so, which version of Windows are you using, and do you have a multi-monitor setup?
    Many thanks,
    Ben
    williamcopper
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/30 09:54:35 (permalink)
    Not sure this is the same thing, but I have frequently had Sonar (platinum, and I think since forever) jump a display to the top or bottom when I am trying to adjust one simple thing.   and as others say, it's irritating and time wasting. 
    Lord Tim
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/30 10:41:06 (permalink)
    Hey Ben, did you mean to reply to THIS thread RE: Font sizes instead of this one?

http://forum.cakewalk.com...e-issues-m3199131.aspx

Cakewalk by Bandlab / DAW: i7 M620 @ 2.67 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win10 64 Bit [eng], TASCAM US-16x08 @ 5.8ms (22.7ms RTL) ASIO, Behringer UMX61 Keyboard Controller.
    Ben Staton [Cakewalk]
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/30 11:39:43 (permalink)
    Lord Tim
    Hey Ben, did you mean to reply to THIS thread RE: Font sizes instead of this one?
    http://forum.cakewalk.com...e-issues-m3199131.aspx

Yes, I did mean to post here  
    The thread you mention describes another issue related to the Windows font size setting. I was just wondering if this problem was also related to it. I'm guessing not, but I'd like to know for sure.
    Lord Tim
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/30 12:04:24 (permalink)
    Well in that case, to answer the question, I'm on Win 7 (32bit), standard font sizes but running 2 monitors. 

tlawhon
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/30 12:07:56 (permalink)
    Win 7, 64bit, single monitor, standard font sizes

Dell Studio XPS 8000, Intel Core i5-750 processor(8MB Cache, 2.66GHz)
    6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz-2X2GB/2x1GB
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit
    Mackie Onynx 1640i
    Sonar X3e

Keni
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/30 12:08:03 (permalink)
    Win7 standard sizes here too...

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

Ben Staton [Cakewalk]
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/30 12:12:48 (permalink)
    OK, so not related to Windows font size settings then. Thanks anyway 
    I'm going to raise this with QA. If we haven't already logged it, I'll make sure it gets added.
    Keni
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/30 12:18:44 (permalink)
    Ben Staton [Cakewalk]
    OK, so not related to Windows font size settings then. Thanks anyway 
    I'm going to raise this with QA. If we haven't already logged it, I'll make sure it gets added.

Thanks Ben...

I'm sure there are many logged reports about these issues. I alone have reported them continuously since the loss of layers... And many others have done so as well...

But I'm glad you're looking into it...

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

Jyri T.
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/30 12:30:12 (permalink)
    I know this mouse zoom bug has scared the crap out of my cat!!!

Sorry, could not resist...
    FidelityMusic
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 138
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/30 12:40:41 (permalink)
    williamcopper
    Not sure this is the same thing, but I have frequently had Sonar (platinum, and I think since forever) jump a display to the top or bottom when I am trying to adjust one simple thing.   and as others say, it's irritating and time wasting. 

Yes, that's the bug the OP is talking about. To avoid it completely you have to stop using the Track Manager, it's only present when tracks are hidden. 

Sonar Platinum, FL Studio 11 Signature Bundle, Windows 8.1 Pro
    M-Audio Firewire 410, KRK Rokit 5 G2
    Akai MPK49, Maschine Mikro MK2, Korg NanoKontrol
    GA-990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-8320, 8GB 1886Mhz, 240GB SSD, 500GB HDD
    AMD 6750, Acer S2000HL x2
    pariah223
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/30 21:55:11 (permalink)
    I have the strange behavior if i hide tracks, or if i have folders.  I think i may have narrowed it down though.. If i turn off zoom horizontal and vertically together, and use control+alt mouse wheel it seems to zoom horizontially as intended. But if i use only alt+mouse wheel to zoom the tracks vertically, it jumps to the top or bottom of the view.   So the bug seems to be involved in the vertical zoom.  I will continue to work in sonar and report anything more like this that i find, or if the horizontal zoom gets weird after extended use. 
    williamcopper
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/31 04:44:53 (permalink)
    Right: closing a folder is when I hit this one most often.    You want to close three folders at the bottom of your track list, it pops to the top three times, and you have to bring it back down over and over.   As to the original question, what is your solution?  .. generally, this is one I just shrug about or curse at the software.  It has been sonar style ever since  forever. 
    Ben Staton [Cakewalk]
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/03/31 06:25:18 (permalink)
    I checked, and QA informed me that these issues are already logged in our system. It looks like one of my colleagues started working on a fix (or a partial fix, at least) yesterday. I can't promise anything, but hopefully you'll see some improvements in the next drop.
    Notecrusher
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 579
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/10/31 19:26:22 (permalink)
    The zoom bug I always encounter is when editing a maximized track and zoomed way in. Snap to grid doesn't have to be on. There don't need to be hidden tracks. It happens when horizontal zooming by click dragging up/down in the time line. Suddenly I will be zoomed way out and the track I had maximized will be minimized. It happens early and often. Have others seen this?
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: What is your solution to the horrible mouse zoom bugs in sonar? 2015/11/02 10:14:49 (permalink)
    No, never.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1