Helpful ReplyProfessional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
BMOG
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 638
2015/03/05 17:20:55 (permalink)

Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation

I am looking to purchase a professional quality Orchestra VST that will allow me to use my keyboard for specific chord arrangements I like along with the tools of the product itself. I almost purchased Native Instruments Emotive Strings but this forum suggested it was not worth $299. I researching there are so many options I would rather make a judgement from my peers who use the same DAW as I do.  Thanks in advance for your help
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/05 18:12:17 (permalink)
Honestly, Kirk Hunter has a few libraries that are worth looking into. You may need to listen to the demos to see which fits your style/desire for strings.
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/05 18:37:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2015/03/06 02:26:36
Professional sounding is in the ear of the beholder, and to some degree dependent on the person using the library. I've heard absolute hack jobs that used the most respected libraries, and I've heard mockups that used only Garritan Personal Orchestra that sounded great.

That said, I think GPO is limiting. It is a great place to start because of those limitations, and if this is your first virtual orchestra purchase you should consider it.

Kirk Hunter's libraries are a major step up, but the sound of his samples is not for everyone. It is very close, almost aggressive. I still use his Concert Strings 2 and Concert Brass 2 libraries - they cover a very wide range of section sizes, and most of the articulations you'd want. I have not yet checked out CS3, but I will. I also use the winds from his Diamond collection, and his SpotLight Strings. Be forewarned, his libraries require a great deal of work at mix time to make them sound their best.

If you are looking for something more "out of the box" I'd suggest listening to demos from Cinesamples, 8Dio, Spitfire, Project Sam, SoundIron, Audiobro, Orchestral Tools, and others. They all sound different, they all approach articulation control differently, but they all sound wonderful!

My current template uses the Agitato and Adagietto strings from 8dio, and the core winds and brass from Cinesamples. I also make heavy use of Orchestral Essentials from Project Sam.

Which brings up an interesting division - sample libraries can be instrument based or ensemble based, with shades in between! Orchestral Essentials is similar to the Albion range from Spitfire - it is recordings of entire ensembles in situ. Can't beat if for the sound, but it makes arranging a little more challenging. The Adagietto strings were sampled by section, no soloists (you have to spring for Adagio to get that<G>!). But at least you have Violin, Viola, Cello and Bass as separate sections. The Orchestral Essentials Sustained Strings, in contrast, is the entire strings section mapped across the keyboard.

The other thing to consider is whether or not true legato is important. A lot of work goes into sampling the transitions, and it drives the cost way up. It also requires a great deal more care in sequencing.

I am not a big fan of the NI phrase based libraries (such as Emotive Strings and Action Strings) - nothing specifically wrong with them, I just don't find it easy to work with them. I do have the original Session Horns and Session Strings libraries, and they can be really useful in some settings.

Lastly, budget. Good libraries are not inexpensive. You probably need to be prepared to spend several hundred dollars or more to build up a good orchestra if you don't start with something like GPO.

That's the five cent tour, post back if it created more questions than it answered.

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
BMOG
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/05 22:18:40 (permalink)
wst3
Professional sounding is in the ear of the beholder, and to some degree dependent on the person using the library. I've heard absolute hack jobs that used the most respected libraries, and I've heard mockups that used only Garritan Personal Orchestra that sounded great.

That said, I think GPO is limiting. It is a great place to start because of those limitations, and if this is your first virtual orchestra purchase you should consider it.

Kirk Hunter's libraries are a major step up, but the sound of his samples is not for everyone. It is very close, almost aggressive. I still use his Concert Strings 2 and Concert Brass 2 libraries - they cover a very wide range of section sizes, and most of the articulations you'd want. I have not yet checked out CS3, but I will. I also use the winds from his Diamond collection, and his SpotLight Strings. Be forewarned, his libraries require a great deal of work at mix time to make them sound their best.

If you are looking for something more "out of the box" I'd suggest listening to demos from Cinesamples, 8Dio, Spitfire, Project Sam, SoundIron, Audiobro, Orchestral Tools, and others. They all sound different, they all approach articulation control differently, but they all sound wonderful!

My current template uses the Agitato and Adagietto strings from 8dio, and the core winds and brass from Cinesamples. I also make heavy use of Orchestral Essentials from Project Sam.

Which brings up an interesting division - sample libraries can be instrument based or ensemble based, with shades in between! Orchestral Essentials is similar to the Albion range from Spitfire - it is recordings of entire ensembles in situ. Can't beat if for the sound, but it makes arranging a little more challenging. The Adagietto strings were sampled by section, no soloists (you have to spring for Adagio to get that<G>!). But at least you have Violin, Viola, Cello and Bass as separate sections. The Orchestral Essentials Sustained Strings, in contrast, is the entire strings section mapped across the keyboard.

The other thing to consider is whether or not true legato is important. A lot of work goes into sampling the transitions, and it drives the cost way up. It also requires a great deal more care in sequencing.

I am not a big fan of the NI phrase based libraries (such as Emotive Strings and Action Strings) - nothing specifically wrong with them, I just don't find it easy to work with them. I do have the original Session Horns and Session Strings libraries, and they can be really useful in some settings.

Lastly, budget. Good libraries are not inexpensive. You probably need to be prepared to spend several hundred dollars or more to build up a good orchestra if you don't start with something like GPO.

That's the five cent tour, post back if it created more questions than it answered.

I am overwhelmed with information, so much research but I think what is important to me is being able to chord with my keyboard and have the software play and be recorded in Sonar. Every Demo sounds great I will look into GPO. I like Hollywood Strings and a Cintematic Strings 2 both sounded nice. I don't want to waste my investment so researching I go
Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/05 22:32:02 (permalink)
Spitfire Albion

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/05 23:41:52 (permalink)
Yeah . . . +1, Spitfire Audio, Albion Collection, best I've heard in a demo anyways . . .  kinda' pricey, how many here can afford this ?

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

skitch_84
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 480
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/06 00:45:07 (permalink)
I recommend 8Dio Adagio series as they are the clearest recordings I've ever heard. They do take some getting used to as the legato patches are 'true legato', so you'll have to do some adjusting in the piano roll view and definitely some work with the various CC data available to get the sound you want. However, the final sound is worth it.

If by "will allow me to use my keyboard for specific chord arrangements" you mean that you want to be able to play a chord and have the instrument play back all the notes in your chord on the string instruments within that range, then you'll want to get 8Dio Adagietto. There's a patch that allows you to map the strings from double basses to violins across the keyboard, and you can play it like you would a pad. It's not as detailed in terms of articulation, but you'll be able to get down your parts quickly. Great for quick mockups that you can later improve by using the individual sections in Adagio. 

For solo woodwinds I also recommend 8Dio's Claire series. Again, pristine recordings with multiple microphone positions that can be shut off or blended together. There are no 'wind section' recordings though, so you'll have to record each part separately. This is good because it affords you better control of the individual wind instruments' parts and doesn't force your whole wind section to play the same thing. The bad thing is that you'll have to handle the blending of the separate wind instruments in the mixing stage which can be a challenge. 

For brass and percussion I recommend Cinesamples. I own Cinebrass Core and Pro, as well as Cineperc Core and Pro. These are awesome sounding libraries and their mapping of articulations to the keyboard/sustain pedal become really intuitive and user-friendly once you learn how to use them. 

If you want a nice harp, the harp that comes in the Kontakt 5 factory library is actually really nice sounding. I'm sure there are better harps out there, but definitely give this one a spin since you already have Kontakt. You might find it as good as I do.

There are too many piano libraries out there for me to really recommend just one. The Giant is really nice, but I think that Pianoteq 5 is the best on the market. 

Chris Porter
www.cportermusic.com
Listen to my original work on Soundcloud and YouTube
Get my original soundtracks on Bandcamp 
Sonar Platinum "2017.04", Windows 10 64-bit, ASUS Z170-A, i7 6700K (4.0GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM, 250GB SSD 850 EVO (OS/Sonar/Plugins), 1TB SSD 850 EVO (Sample Libraries), 3TB WD Black HDD (projects/audio), Noctua NH-D14 Cooling Unit, PreSonus AudioBox USB Interface, M-AUDIO Oxygen49
Kuusniemi
  • Total Posts : 490
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/06 03:05:36 (permalink)
Choosing a path with orchestral libraries is probably the hardest thing. Most of the top libraries do the same things (in a little different ways though) so you might want to check out screencasts and tutorials on how each of them work. I know I have my favorites, my palette consist mainly of Spitfire Albions, 8Dio strings for details, Strezov Sampling and Vienna Symphonic Library for brass, Sonokinetic Da Capo for woodwind ensembles and again Strezov Sampling for Percussion. But those are the ones that suit my taste of workflow.

Soundwise the top libraries each stand up to each other and fall short of a real orchestra.
wizard71
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 836
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/06 05:33:08 (permalink)
Something else to consider is whether or not you would find Divisi handy or not. Not all libraries offer that option and depending on the complexity of your arrangements it can really make the difference between realistic and not.

http://www.youtube.com/SpaceTimeAces
https://soundcloud.com/space-time-aces
Sonar Platinum - Win 8.1 x64 - Haswell 4770k - ASrock Z87 pro3 - 32gb ram - Fractal design R4 case - 3x HDD 1 USB 2.0 external 1x cr M4 ssd for samples - Octa-capture - Sontronics Aria - Sontronics STC-1s - BX8 monitors - ARC 2 system - Kawai CA63 piano - Kawai MP6 Stage piano - Fender custom Telecaster FMT - Yamaha LL6 - Fender P bass

Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/06 08:41:34 (permalink)
+1 for Kirk Hunter Strings.....they beheld my ears and sounded professional.  

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
BMOG
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/06 09:36:48 (permalink)
wizard71
Something else to consider is whether or not you would find Divisi handy or not. Not all libraries offer that option and depending on the complexity of your arrangements it can really make the difference between realistic and not.

Divisi what is that?
BMOG
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/06 09:37:46 (permalink)
Zo
Spitfire Albion

I see there is four of them is one the base and the rest additions or each version has it's own set of sounds?
BMOG
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/06 12:09:53 (permalink)
Kuusniemi
Choosing a path with orchestral libraries is probably the hardest thing. Most of the top libraries do the same things (in a little different ways though) so you might want to check out screencasts and tutorials on how each of them work. I know I have my favorites, my palette consist mainly of Spitfire Albions, 8Dio strings for details, Strezov Sampling and Vienna Symphonic Library for brass, Sonokinetic Da Capo for woodwind ensembles and again Strezov Sampling for Percussion. But those are the ones that suit my taste of workflow.

Soundwise the top libraries each stand up to each other and fall short of a real orchestra.

Which version of Albion do you have I am trying to determine if 4 is better than 1 or just different? 8Dio sounds good but pricey

TerraSin
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/06 12:21:44 (permalink)
BMOGI am overwhelmed with information, so much research but I think what is important to me is being able to chord with my keyboard and have the software play and be recorded in Sonar. Every Demo sounds great I will look into GPO. I like Hollywood Strings and a Cintematic Strings 2 both sounded nice. I don't want to waste my investment so researching I go

Hollywood Orchestra user here. What I will say is that Hollywood is one of the most powerful libraries you will find, especially for the price, but they come with an extremely steep learning curve because the library is so versatile. It takes some time to learn how to use it before you can use it on any projects where as many of the out-of-the-box libraries wst3 mentioned are ready to throw into a project as soon as you start playing. The problem with those is they carry limitations on sound and feel so it really comes down to what will work for you and the music you make.
BMOG
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/06 13:38:38 (permalink)
TerraSin
BMOGI am overwhelmed with information, so much research but I think what is important to me is being able to chord with my keyboard and have the software play and be recorded in Sonar. Every Demo sounds great I will look into GPO. I like Hollywood Strings and a Cintematic Strings 2 both sounded nice. I don't want to waste my investment so researching I go

Hollywood Orchestra user here. What I will say is that Hollywood is one of the most powerful libraries you will find, especially for the price, but they come with an extremely steep learning curve because the library is so versatile. It takes some time to learn how to use it before you can use it on any projects where as many of the out-of-the-box libraries wst3 mentioned are ready to throw into a project as soon as you start playing. The problem with those is they carry limitations on sound and feel so it really comes down to what will work for you and the music you make.

I have been listening to Albino 1 and 2 demos, Agiato sounds nice but so far my favorite has been ProjetSam Ochestra Essentials 2. Like the addition of the choir voices in the patches it is appealing to my creativity but I can't figure out if it uses the free Kontact 5 or not.
KONTAKT PLAYER REQUIREMENTS
  • Minimum Kontakt version: 5.4.2
  • Mac: OS X 10.8 or higher
  • Windows: Windows 7 or 8
  • Supported plug-in interfaces: Stand-alone, VST, Audio Units, AAX (Pro Tools 10 or higher), ASIO, Core Audio, WASAPI
  • Comes with Kontakt Player license
  • Also works with full version of Kontakt
Kuusniemi
  • Total Posts : 490
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/06 14:03:48 (permalink)
BMOG
Kuusniemi

Which version of Albion do you have I am trying to determine if 4 is better than 1 or just different? 8Dio sounds good but pricey

I have volumes 1-3. Albion is Spitfire Audio's general label. They contain ensemble collections and each of the Albion has different content. Albion is the basic set, Albion II Loegria contain smaller ensemble, Albion III Iceni contains only low instruments. They compliment each other. Each of the Albions also have a lot of sound design / synth kind of stuff.

The Albion libraries are not really that detailed. They're the kind of libraries you use to give mass and the feel of a large orchestra. I use the 8Dio Agitato strings and Adagietto for more detailed stuff. Especially the Agitato's on top of Albion is good... If I'd gone fully Spitfire then I'd be putting their Mural and Sable libraries on top of Albion (for strings that is). Personally I chose 8Dio Agitato because of the dynamic bowings they have, they're simply fantastic.

This is a thing to consider as well. You mention Orchestral Essential as well and it's another "stripped" package. It's a starter which has only the basics. Albion is basically the same thing, it contains rudimentary elements to writing orchestral music but nothing too detailed.

I'd look carefully at the content of what you're thinking of buying an considering how far can you get with that and what do you want ot write. If it's backing stuff for pop music then a less detailed library will do, as with hydrib scoring a less detailed library carries a long way. But for pure orchestral writing you need articulations, details, velocity layers and round robins. For purely orchestral writing it's still hard to beat Vienna Symphonic Library. They also have their stripped down versions called Special Editions. They're also a great place to start.
BMOG
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/06 15:06:17 (permalink)
Sorry about that my reply got placed in the wrong area

Great information and great food for thought, I am creating a unique style of music so I think any way which is a cross between meditation style music, with a cross of Neo soul.  At times if a client wants I will do some pop tunes and I have a desire to have the film type music added in a creative way. So I need the padding style strings out of the box, I like the extra's from Orchestra Essentials 2 with the choir voices and elements just to keep adding to my creative nitch. So you have given me a lot to consider and I appreciate the advice

Kuusniemi
BMOG
Kuusniemi

Great information and great food for thought, I am creating a unique style of music so I think any way which is a cross between meditation style music, with a cross of Neo soul.  At times if a client wants I will do some pop tunes and I have a desire to have the film type music added in a creative way. So I need the padding style strings out of the box, I like the extra's from Orchestra Essentials 2 with the choir voices and elements just to keep adding to my creative nitch. So you have given me a lot to consider and I appreciate the advice

I have volumes 1-3. Albion is Spitfire Audio's general label. They contain ensemble collections and each of the Albion has different content. Albion is the basic set, Albion II Loegria contain smaller ensemble, Albion III Iceni contains only low instruments. They compliment each other. Each of the Albions also have a lot of sound design / synth kind of stuff.

The Albion libraries are not really that detailed. They're the kind of libraries you use to give mass and the feel of a large orchestra. I use the 8Dio Agitato strings and Adagietto for more detailed stuff. Especially the Agitato's on top of Albion is good... If I'd gone fully Spitfire then I'd be putting their Mural and Sable libraries on top of Albion (for strings that is). Personally I chose 8Dio Agitato because of the dynamic bowings they have, they're simply fantastic.

This is a thing to consider as well. You mention Orchestral Essential as well and it's another "stripped" package. It's a starter which has only the basics. Albion is basically the same thing, it contains rudimentary elements to writing orchestral music but nothing too detailed.

I'd look carefully at the content of what you're thinking of buying an considering how far can you get with that and what do you want ot write. If it's backing stuff for pop music then a less detailed library will do, as with hydrib scoring a less detailed library carries a long way. But for pure orchestral writing you need articulations, details, velocity layers and round robins. For purely orchestral writing it's still hard to beat Vienna Symphonic Library. They also have their stripped down versions called Special Editions. They're also a great place to start.

post edited by BMOG - 2015/03/06 16:03:12
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/10 00:41:40 (permalink)
I agree with a lot of the above... have Kirk, Albion, OE 1/2 and the other stuff like all the NI stuff I don't appreciate anymore...

Just to muddy up the waters, "Capriccio" Check it out... very innovative, beautifully done, and at your budget price point... It will be my next purchase... the videos are great and will show you whether this might suit your needs.  A full on orchestral package like Albion is pretty mindboggling and this might be something to get you started which sounds fantastic...

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
BMOG
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/10 13:57:03 (permalink)
So here is my story first I decided that what I wanted strings for was turned out to be more from a pad perspective and I can grow into the real orchestra oriented later. I listen to so many different strings demo's all of them sound amazing and I had a hard time deciding until my wife said, make a decision. If this is going to help you get what you need. My ear loved this demo so I went with this project http://8dio.com/instrument-category/orchestral/#instrument/adagietto/ To my understanding I already had the Kontakt 5 player so I thought I good to go. WRONG!!! Turns out you need the full version of Kontakt for this software so I was stuck.  I wanted to send it back but once it is downloaded you can't. So now researching the full version of Kontak5 it was $399 and included a version of Vienna String instruments in it. I was sooooo pissed because those Vienna libraries sounded great but to expensive. So I go to buy the Kontak 5 full version and they are out of stock. I was not happy about that so I was like how can get around this.  Only one way made since to me, the full version of Kontak5 cost $399 and the Komplete 10 cost $499 which included Kontak5 plus tons of other stuff. So i decided to buy Komplete 10 and now I have spent way more money than I planned and whatever I have at this point damn it I will find a way to make it work.  Thanks for all the advice to everyone here and all of you were right this is by far the toughest choice to make
Mesh
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/10 14:22:00 (permalink)
Sorry to hear that BMOG. However, I think most of the 3rd party libraries do require to have the full version of Kontakt. In a way, you have opened up a door to a LOT of 3rd party instruments (very good instruments) which will really make a difference in your music creation.

You also have a wealth of synths with Komplete 10 and there's enough stuff in there to keep anyone buys for a life time (Reaktor alone will do that).

If you posted earlier that you were looking for Kontakt 5 only, you could've found some really good deals over at KVR_Marketplace.....prices are at least around 50% or less than the going market price. Anyway, that's not to be. Also, if you have software/hardware you're not using, you can sell it over there and try to make some cash back......but, rememeber most people are looking to get a good deal......so that 50% off price tag comes into play.

Enjoy your new toys!!  

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
BMOG
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/10 16:35:37 (permalink)
When I started my search I had no idea what the difference was between Kontatkt 5 player and  Kontakt5 was really, so I guess it is my fault for not seeing that it required the full version, I downloaded the free version some time ago to play with and did nothing with it.  I don't even know where to begin sore the modules outside of Kontatk 5 I have a big learning curve that is for sure. In regards to selling how would I break the software up to sell when it call came bundled together?

Mesh
Sorry to hear that BMOG. However, I think most of the 3rd party libraries do require to have the full version of Kontakt. In a way, you have opened up a door to a LOT of 3rd party instruments (very good instruments) which will really make a difference in your music creation.

You also have a wealth of synths with Komplete 10 and there's enough stuff in there to keep anyone buys for a life time (Reaktor alone will do that).

If you posted earlier that you were looking for Kontakt 5 only, you could've found some really good deals over at KVR_Marketplace.....prices are at least around 50% or less than the going market price. Anyway, that's not to be. Also, if you have software/hardware you're not using, you can sell it over there and try to make some cash back......but, rememeber most people are looking to get a good deal......so that 50% off price tag comes into play.

Enjoy your new toys!!  

skitch_84
  • Total Posts : 480
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/10 19:31:27 (permalink)
BMOG
So here is my story first I decided that what I wanted strings for was turned out to be more from a pad perspective and I can grow into the real orchestra oriented later. I listen to so many different strings demo's all of them sound amazing and I had a hard time deciding until my wife said, make a decision. If this is going to help you get what you need. My ear loved this demo so I went with this project http://8dio.com/instrument-category/orchestral/#instrument/adagietto/ To my understanding I already had the Kontakt 5 player so I thought I good to go. WRONG!!! Turns out you need the full version of Kontakt for this software so I was stuck.  I wanted to send it back but once it is downloaded you can't. So now researching the full version of Kontak5 it was $399 and included a version of Vienna String instruments in it. I was sooooo pissed because those Vienna libraries sounded great but to expensive. So I go to buy the Kontak 5 full version and they are out of stock. I was not happy about that so I was like how can get around this.  Only one way made since to me, the full version of Kontak5 cost $399 and the Komplete 10 cost $499 which included Kontak5 plus tons of other stuff. So i decided to buy Komplete 10 and now I have spent way more money than I planned and whatever I have at this point damn it I will find a way to make it work.  Thanks for all the advice to everyone here and all of you were right this is by far the toughest choice to make

Don't regret even for a moment that you bought Kontakt 5. You are so much better off having the full version. The majority of my Kontakt instruments require the full version to run. 

My first suggestion to you is to learn how to use the Quick Load feature in Kontakt. This will really help your workflow. Loading your instruments through the browser on the left side is a pain in the butt. I have all of my instruments arranged by company -> instrument (For example 8Dio -> Adagio -> Violins -> "individual patches"). You can arrange them however you'd like, but this is just one way that works for me. 

Just do a quick search of Kontakt 5 Quick Load and you'll find videos and tutorials. :)

Chris Porter
www.cportermusic.com
Listen to my original work on Soundcloud and YouTube
Get my original soundtracks on Bandcamp 
Sonar Platinum "2017.04", Windows 10 64-bit, ASUS Z170-A, i7 6700K (4.0GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM, 250GB SSD 850 EVO (OS/Sonar/Plugins), 1TB SSD 850 EVO (Sample Libraries), 3TB WD Black HDD (projects/audio), Noctua NH-D14 Cooling Unit, PreSonus AudioBox USB Interface, M-AUDIO Oxygen49
BMOG
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/10 21:10:47 (permalink)
Thanks for the tip now I have a question, the string patches such as Adagio are those patches stereo or mono output patches?  Or how can I tell?

skitch_84
BMOG

Don't regret even for a moment that you bought Kontakt 5. You are so much better off having the full version. The majority of my Kontakt instruments require the full version to run. 

My first suggestion to you is to learn how to use the Quick Load feature in Kontakt. This will really help your workflow. Loading your instruments through the browser on the left side is a pain in the butt. I have all of my instruments arranged by company -> instrument (For example 8Dio -> Adagio -> Violins -> "individual patches"). You can arrange them however you'd like, but this is just one way that works for me. 

Just do a quick search of Kontakt 5 Quick Load and you'll find videos and tutorials. :)

Mesh
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/11 15:36:46 (permalink)
BMOG
 In regards to selling how would I break the software up to sell when it call came bundled together?

As far as Komplete is concerned, you won't be able to break it up for a sale.......it'll have to be the....errmmm.....complete package.

You can sell stuff if you have the individual licenses for software that you have, and of course, you need to make sure from the vendor/developer that these items are resaleable.

As far as NI stuff, people usually sell the individual instruments/plugins they had bought seperately.....ie....I was able to sell Reaktor 5 and Battery 3 (which I had bought sometime back) after I bought Komplete. I also sold a lot of other software that I wasn't using regularly or just bought because I had GAS and was able to get some cash back.

I'm trying to be more cautious when buying now and only get software that I'm sure I'll keep for a long time, but then I end up in the Deals Forum and the vicious cycle begins again.

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
R.Cato
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/20 18:33:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Kuusniemi 2015/03/20 19:48:24
I won't tell which libraries I personally find to be the best, but for everyone starting out or searching for a good orchestral sample library always consider to buy Kontakt 5 first, so you have access to all the great libraries out there.

There are some incredible deals out there compared to what was available years ago. With most of them you really can't go wrong. In the end it's always about how passionate you are to learn all these tools. A skilled composer can write awesome sounding orchestral music with samples from 20 years ago and always remember people couldn't tell the difference between virtual and real 20 years ago, too, if the music was well written and especially well performed. Performance always goes before pure sound. Ease of use and playability inspires and lets you keep on realizing the idea you first had in your head, so do yourself a favor and always look for libraries which are really easy to use and fit to your personal workflow.

Robin Birner
STREZOV SAMPLING

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/28 02:26:15 (permalink)
 The included library is Kontakt is fine.  Sampletank's Miroslav is great in the hands of one who knows how to use it.
Some developers offer smaller versions that work well if you don't need extreme detail.
 EWQL libraries are great but they are not resource friendly. 
DRanck
  • Total Posts : 608
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/30 09:45:49 (permalink)
Just another hint for Kontakt. Learn to use the database too. You can group your different library instruments so when you are looking for Flutes for example, you can see all the flutes in all of the Kontakt libraries. 

My Sound Cloud
Website
Youtube Channel
The way that I've always gone about making music, the rule of thumb, has just been to make what I love.
Amy Lee

Sonar Pro 64 (Newburyport), Akai Pro MPK 88, i7-4770K, ASUS Z87-PRO V,  32GB SDRAM 1866, SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500GB SSD, 2 - WD BLACK 2TB, Samsung USB 3.0 SSD, Win 10 Pro 64, Radeon R9 270 Video 2GB, Dell P2314T 23" Touchscreen, Gateway 23" monitor, Presonus USB Audio Interface, Surface Pro 2 w/ Xotopad as a control surface
pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/30 10:05:16 (permalink)
Excellent point, DRanck. Thanks for the reminder. I was checking out some Ironsound choirs, the other day and started thinking about Kontakt5 being such a wide base for all kinds of libraries, so I appreciate that "value".

Michael 

i7 4790k 4Ghz 16gb+4HDD, Win10, ASUS G74s Laptop i7 2670QM 2.2ghz-16gb, Win10. CbB, Mixbus4, Studio One3 Artist, Z3ta2, RapturePro, GPO5, GS2, EP4, IK TR5, AT4, MP2, Melodyne Stud4, PSP(22), PS kits, BFD2, GA4, 18i20, PreSonus MP20A(BurrBrown), ISA One, Warm Audio WA76, ADK Thor, M160, RAB1, MA200, MA101fet, E100s, e835, EquatorD5, YSM-1, GoldDigger, CherryPicker, Kurz K2500, Aura Spectrum, ControlPad, PRRI, 17 ac & elec gtrs-mandos+bass, lap steels, banjo, fiddle, harmonicas+perc
ltb
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2707
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/30 12:18:35 (permalink)
Check the new Orchestral Suite from UVI. If I was looking for my first & inexpensive basic orchestral library I'd be all over this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq_9JPjpXho
http://www.uvi.net/en/orc.../orchestral-suite.html

wst3
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation 2015/03/30 13:23:01 (permalink)
not to further muddy the waters, but I've been experimenting with the VSL Special Edition Volume 1 for about a week now... and it really is quite remarkable!

The instruments, especially the woodwinds, are just plain lovely. Did I mention the woodwinds?

These are not going to replace my Cinesamples, Project Sam, or 8Dio libraries, but they are a very nice addition to the toolkit.

I'd offer two cautions: First is that the user interface is quite a bit different than Kontakt. It provides tremendous control over articulations, but it is tricky, I'm still figuring my way around. Second, the sounds NEED reverb, although I do like the default placement, which can also be changed. So a really well behaved reverb will be required.

Certainly worth looking into...

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1