Helpful ReplyWhat to do with loops and samples? (answered)

Author
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
2015/03/30 14:01:54 (permalink)

What to do with loops and samples? (answered)

This is a serious question, not a jab at Sonar. In my life, real music was not the work of others that was cut and paste together. In 2015 that's no longer the case. Cakewalk seems to want us to do just that, as seen in the inclusion of loops and samples being a big part of the "membership" program.

I've tried to use these things and get nowhere. I fired up Sonar, loaded the matrix and went for it. Epic fail, as my daughter would say. I don't seem to have the requisite DNA to make music out of beats and loops. I tend to think linear and maybe that's the problem.

It seems as though that dance music is going to be Sonar's main focus going forward. Where can I get some info on modern music making so that the monthly releases have some value? 
post edited by ampfixer - 2015/03/31 03:44:24

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: What to do with loops and samples? 2015/03/30 14:04:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ampfixer 2015/03/30 14:49:02
Try taking lots of drugs and maybe hit yourself in the head with a hammer?  Electro-therapy might help as well... 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: What to do with loops and samples? 2015/03/30 14:20:27 (permalink)
I'm not very good at playing other instruments (other than guitar) and these loops do help in getting rough ideas down (until I can work on  getting the bass, drums, keys  etc...to the way I want it). Some of these loops have very useful bass lines (i.e. Hardgroove) where you can use multiple intances of the variations where you can put together something quick as well as sounding good. (BTW, those Hardgroove bass lines are pretty good sounding).

Until I get better at 'fauxing' other instruments, I've kept an open mind to using these loop tools.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: What to do with loops and samples? 2015/03/30 14:30:30 (permalink)
I didn't download them.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: What to do with loops and samples? 2015/03/30 14:59:30 (permalink)
It's possible that Cakewalk are trying to attract younger users. Is the demographic of Sonar users as old as the forum membership would indicate? If so, I don't blame them for trying..

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: What to do with loops and samples? 2015/03/30 15:11:07 (permalink)
People who make loop-based music and don't make their own loops need an ever expanding amount of such things. Hence, content providers are always going to produce and distribute more of them than other types of content.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
ampfixer
Re: What to do with loops and samples? 2015/03/30 17:15:23 (permalink)
I guess what I need is some sort of book. Do they make an idiots guide to getting ahead on the work of others? Maybe beat oriented music for old white guys?

Perhaps Craig could do a how to guide for using his content.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: What to do with loops and samples? 2015/03/30 17:32:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2015/03/30 18:08:13
I think you're missing the creative potential of loops. Yes you can just cut and paste them together, but there is also a serious art in processing and mangling loops into something musical, and usually something which bears little resemblance to the originals. You can extract anything you like out of loops, even if it's just a hit of a drum, a short phrase, a chord, a sound, or something as small as an impulse response. You can chop them into pieces and rearrange them in a different order. Reverse some. Pitch some up and down. Throw them into a sampler like Kontakt or Geist and get creative. If you have an imagination and a thing for refashioning things into new things, the creative possibilities are infinite.

There is also a fine art in choosing samples or loops which work together. Choosing a couple of loops at random and playing them together might yield interesting results but it usually doesn't. You have to be prepared to spend hours going through samples to find ones which work together musically. If you have an ear for it, you'll happen across accidental magic every now and then. What makes throwing loops together interesting (when it works) is that you have these totally separate, disconnected recordings that were made in different rooms with different reverb and processed on different gear by different people, and you end up with very interesting textures and depths. There is something very special about bringing together multiple samples and hearing them work together as if they were made for each other. Unless you've heard what's possible it's easy to dismiss loops and samples. But listen to DJ Shadow's debut album "Endtroducing," a 90's classic. Everything taken straight from albums, loaded into an Akai sampler and arranged into new music.

Is it cheating? Well, try it yourself and see how hard it is to get it right. Takes years of practice, no different to any other art form.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
webbs hill studio
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: What to do with loops and samples? 2015/03/30 17:52:28 (permalink)
jamesg1213
It's possible that Cakewalk are trying to attract younger users. Is the demographic of Sonar users as old as the forum membership would indicate? If so, I don't blame them for trying..

haha-I would actually like to see that demo.
cant remember if age is requested when you sign up for the software account but most young people I know are using mobile apps to record and IMHO would struggle just installing Platinum.
pity old software doesn`t appreciate as well as old cars.
cheers  
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: What to do with loops and samples? 2015/03/30 18:01:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ampfixer 2015/03/30 20:05:47
ampfixer
I guess what I need is some sort of book. Do they make an idiots guide to getting ahead on the work of others? Maybe beat oriented music for old white guys?

I say this as respectfully as possible because I know text can often get read the wrong way.  You seem like a cool person so please don't get offended:

Part of your problem is attitude.  Statements like this "getting ahead on the work of others"  seem to indicate an attitude that inherently makes it difficult for you to utilize these tools.   Is the guy who does not hollow out a log, skin an animal and stretch it to make a drum "getting ahead on the work of others?  or better yet, is the guy who brings in a musician to play a simple element that is pretty much the same used and re-used chord progressions getting by on other people's work?  No matter how many loops you have, the odds of becoming successful by simply tossing a few loops together are slim to none. People who actually use loops for production often put just as much work into creating their style of music as any other creator of music. Yes, occasionally there is the hit that is a blatant sample loop, but the cost of creating such a hit has made doing so too expensive for most. The peak of "throw a beat under a loop and have at it" passed in the 90's and will likely never return. Today most artists either use loops for idea generation or as extremely raw elements that are but a very small part.

There are many ways to use sample loops.  I will start with an example of a simple loop being turned into something the originator could not have possibly conceived.  I am guessing this is not a style of music you would listen to but it is for illustrative purposes. The original is a funk/soul break from "Amen Brother".  This break has been twisted into literally thousands of songs within several genres

Original sample:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQLk7NcpO4
Turned into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8uTXOlACmU#t=80
and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnMFIeDhT5Y#t=99

The latter uses a section of the break almost like a percusssion instrument where as the former preetty much tosses the loop into a Ninja blender and spits it out in an altered form that does not resemble the original loop rhythmically in any way. It takes a lot of work, especially if one is going old school and manually  slicing every element of break into sub-elements.  Again, not everyone's cup of tea, but far more difficult than the casual observer can imagine.

As far as Cakewalk including these loops to appeal to younger, EDM audiences, nothing could be further from the truth.  The loops included are old, having been included with Sonar for years.  When hardcore EDM enthusiasts come to this board they are loaded with complaints about how "Sonar is geared towards old guitarists" .   Truth likely lies more in the middle.  Sonar tries to appeal to a wide variety of users and can certainly be used for any genre. For an artists doing strictly EDM, Ableton, FL Studio and even Reason are probably better choices.  For hip-hop creators, Sonar is certainly low on the wishlist even though it is more than possible to create either.

I think it is hard to understand how to make music of any type if you are not really a fan.  The types of music you do play, you likely listened to the pioneers and stars of that genre with respect and admiration for decades.  To expect to have it work any differently for any other genre is unrealistic. Using loops can be as straightforward or abstract as you choose, but if you are fixated on thinking of it as "work of others that was cut and paste together" you are doomed to find these things useless.

ampfixer
Re: What to do with loops and samples? 2015/03/30 20:02:50 (permalink)
Thanks for your thoughts guys, you're starting to get through my thick skull. I am the problem! The only recording I have made with loops and synth drums etc., is something from Todd Rundgren called New World Order. I loved that record, particularly while bike riding. I would be honoured to accomplish something like that.

I've been mulling it over since the OP and I've come to realize that I'm the weak link. I don't have the skills to do something with the materials at hand and it bugs me. Now I have to learn and move forward. Hopefully Cakewalk will produce some material on the basics. I've looked at a couple video's on using the matrix and they didn't really help.

After messing with the Matrix and failing, I loaded a repetitive but interesting midi pattern into Battery and fired up Z3ta+2. I added the drum track with an arp setting from Z3ta and just went for a rolling pattern. I don't know if I'd call it music but it was pleasing, so maybe there's hope.

I have to say I found trying to get a usable sound out of a violin was easier than stringing loops together.

Regards, John 
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: What to do with loops and samples? 2015/03/30 21:56:01 (permalink)
We all have things we find more intuitive than other things. Can't stress enough the importance of listening to things that inspire. I think it's hard for anyone to grab a loop and make something pleasant that is not repetitive. See if you can find something you like thaty uses loops and try recreating it. I gave some kids an excercise once to to make a song using nothing but the james brown funky drummer loop as the sound source for every element. Some pretty much looped it, but others went so far james brown would not recognize. 
ston
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 965
Re: What to do with loops and samples? 2015/03/31 03:48:29 (permalink)
ampfixer
I guess what I need is some sort of book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-gB_LQZnlY

Remember to add the melodic content
olemon
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 768
Re: What to do with loops and samples? 2015/03/31 04:48:03 (permalink)
Like you, I was looking for a way to create music from loops and samples.  I sing and play guitar, but had little experience with any of this 'in the box' music production 18 months ago.

If you click on my profile links and listen to a few bars of some of my songs, you'll hear PG Music's Real Tracks from Band In A Box.  There are several Youtube videos on using BIAB with Sonar or other DAWs.

Guitarhacker, an experienced user of both applications, explained his process and it is working well for me.  You can find his music online as well at:  http://www.herbhartley.com

Some more links:

http://www.pgmusic.com

At PG Music go to Forums, User Showcase.  Folks there are using BIAB, Real Band (DAW) and other DAW's to do what I believe you'll find very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qCscIjxkuI

The Youtube video covers the steps many people are using to arrange songs and import complete wav files (samples) into the DAW of their choice.  Afterwards you can use Sonar and all of its tools and plugins to edit the imported wav files and arrange and export the song.

https://www.reverbnation.com/scottholson

Platinum, Studio One 3 Pro, Win 10 (x64), AMD FX-8350, ASUS M5A97 R2.0, 16GB, RME UCX, Digimax DP88, Faderport 8, Revive Audio Mod Studio Channel, Vintage Audio M72, Summit Audio TLA-50, KRK Rokit 5 G2 Monitors, Guitars

"If you wait till the last minute, it only takes a minute."
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: What to do with loops and samples? 2015/03/31 05:54:40 (permalink)
ampfixer
Thanks for your thoughts guys, you're starting to get through my thick skull. I am the problem! The only recording I have made with loops and synth drums etc., is something from Todd Rundgren called New World Order. I loved that record, particularly while bike riding. I would be honoured to accomplish something like that.

Pink Floyd - Money. Say no more, and long before the days of digital.
back in the early 70's I remember watching some guys in a Art school music department stringing a massive tape loop around microphone stands.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
tbosco
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 903
Re: What to do with loops and samples? 2015/04/07 06:42:33 (permalink)
sharke
I think you're missing the creative potential of loops. Yes you can just cut and paste them together, but there is also a serious art in processing and mangling loops into something musical, ....

There is also a fine art in choosing samples or loops which work together. Choosing a couple of loops at random and playing them together might yield interesting results but it usually doesn't. You have to be prepared to spend hours going through samples to find ones which work together musically. If you have an ear for it, you'll happen across accidental magic every now and then. What makes throwing loops together interesting (when it works) is that you have these totally separate, disconnected recordings that were made in different rooms with different reverb and processed on different gear by different people, and you end up with very interesting textures and depths. There is something very special about bringing together multiple samples and hearing them work together as if they were made for each other. ....

Is it cheating? Well, try it yourself and see how hard it is to get it right. Takes years of practice, no different to any other art form.

+1 Sharke.   Totally agree.  And often, for me anyway, a loop might provide a spark of inspiration for a creative concept or motif for the next piece I write.  The little 8-note flute line (loop) at the very beginning of my tune "Ethereal Funk" was the theme for it, and you can hear it in the other instruments I played.

I think finding ways to make loops musical is creative art in itself, and I'm not sure why so many people are "against" them.  For me, they're just another tool in the musician's toolbox.

Cheers!

Tony

SONAR Platinum
JNCS Computer with Asus X99 Motherboard (i7)
Win10 Pro 64bit, 32GB RAM
Motif XF7, Komplete 11, Ozone 7, 
Komplete Kontrol 88 keys,
Softube Console 1,
PreSonus Faderport 8,
Focusrite ISA 430 Mk 2 Mic Pre,
Yamaha HS8s and Sub
Drawmer 3.1 Monitor Controller
Fractal Axe FX 2 XL Guitar Processor
Lots-o-Guitars
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: What to do with loops and samples? 2015/04/07 07:02:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2015/04/07 08:52:01
Some of the most interesting loops you will ever hear is in Alchemy. Moving the mixpads around gives almost unlimited variations on them too.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: What to do with loops and samples? 2015/04/07 09:00:06 (permalink)
I love Alchemy and sadly, people over at KVR are getting rid of it like no tomorrow. Now would be a great time to buy it for dirt cheap (lowest I've seen is $75.......of course you do need to have a Camel account already set up). I picked up a few libraries for a fraction of the cost. It seems people are losing hope after Apple bought out Camel.........and Windows support might be null & void, but the product works flawlessly and there's a good backup system set up.
The loops in Alchemy are truly unlimited when you tweak/mangle the sounds to your liking and there's just so much in there for your creating inspirations. 

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Truckermusic
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1924
Re: What to do with loops and samples? 2015/04/08 13:24:10 (permalink)
ampfixer

GOOGLE it!
Ton of information out there and well as artists who use loops.....

they slice and dice and chop and corrorupt them....they beat them down and beat them up...resize them....take bits and pieces....retune them....reorder them.....grind them down and up....stretch them to fit.....shrink them to fit....layer them......strip them....rip them apart and sew them back together backwards and sidways.....

All this before breakfast!

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
16 Gig of Ram 
4.5 Gighz
Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
Unibrain Firewire Card
Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
Mackie Big Knob