Helpful ReplyQuestion for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation?

Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2015/03/29 11:04:16 (permalink)

Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation?

What is the difference between an "ornament" and an "articulation"?

Wikipedia defines "ornament" as synonymous with "embellishment", meaning a musical flourish that's not essential to carrying the melody. Bends, for example.

It defines "articulation" as the method used to join notes, such as legato and glissando. If this is the proper full definition, then I've been mis-using the term by calling pizzicato an articulation. So have most makers of orchestral sample libraries. 

So, two questions for you music majors:

1. Is an articulation just the method of transitioning between notes, or does it also encompass how the note was initiated? E.g., is a hammer-on an articulation? 

2. Is a trill an ornament or an articulation? How about vibrato or using a whammy bar?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/03/29 12:06:10 (permalink)
It will be interesting to hear the pros in the know answer this even though I have been making music for almost 50 years and I've yet to use either word in conversing about said music.
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/03/29 12:23:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2015/03/30 16:24:24
bapu
It will be interesting to hear the pros in the know answer this even though I have been making music for almost 50 years and I've yet to use either word in conversing about said music.

To be fair, they probably have never used the words "Bangin'" or "Thumpin'" either. 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
SongCraft
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3902
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/03/29 15:59:09 (permalink)
Articulation can be applied to 'progression' or down to the 'note', and how well that note transitioned (left off) from the previous note to the next note.

If I said, very nice articulation with that 'progression' = all notes played superbly, nicely expressed, good control of dynamics. Slur (legato) is a curved symbol/marker, which is one of many articulations that can be applied in notation. Slur which means 'Smooth' performance, smooth transition between notes. Another popular articulation is 'Dynamics' (from pp (very soft) to ff (very loud). Can also say, that particular articulation sucks, that one note ruined the whole progression dang it. Another example, 'Trills' Tr is a rapid alternation of two notes, or more if your a bloody genius.

There a so many articulation markers in notation that I can't remember them all, but in general (overall composition) when someone says, superb articulations/nuances = well performed throughout.  I use to teach piano years ago. Have learned piano naturally from age 3, I did music theory later at school.  Anyway, when I write and perform I usually go with the feel, the vibe and try to capture it all faithfully (rec) -- I can hear in my mind how its suppose to sound and be played, but translating all that isn't always smooth sailing.

After I get an instrument recorded, I playback from the intro (taking one step/part at a time) and listen to every dang note, to make sure each note is articulated well and sounds great in and throughout the whole progression. I want to make sure I've captured the performance faithfully and to the best it can be.  In the composition; I also see how all the instruments articulate well with each other. Drums are also given careful attention to detail (all the nuances, articulations) -- I use the same step by step process to make sure the arrangements flow nicely together from start to end, sometimes a small change makes a huge difference.

I often use 'Nuance' as a distinction of all the subtleties for both performance and 'sound' combined. I suppose one explanation/example, noticeably unpleasant performance by someone learning to play guitar for the first time (worse is when the guitar is not quite in-tune), both the performance and sound sucked lol.  'But not too bad for a beginner' <---- that last line is for encouragement lol.

Post Edit: Later realized I wrote is - I meant to say is not quite in-tune.
post edited by SongCraft - 2015/03/29 22:20:41
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/03/29 16:26:38 (permalink)
I was not a music major but I did self-study Baroque performance practice at one point.

A trill is definitely an ornament, although a Kontakt orchestral library would probably invoke it via keyboard articulation, so some confusion is natural.  Early keyboard music is played replete with ornaments, although they were rarely indicated in the score.  Somewhere in the early classical period this practice largely disappeared and explicitly written ornamentation became the common practice.  So, a valid question is: if there's a mordant or trill in the score, is it an ornament in the first place or part of the composer's intent and an integral part of the music?
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/03/29 17:12:36 (permalink)
craigb
bapu

To be fair, they probably have never used the words "Bangin'" or "Thumpin'" either. 

Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/03/31 10:30:44 (permalink)
Hi,

Can a music minor respond?

From a writing perspective, the difference is blurred some. If you are an instinctive writer, you simply follow your inner movie and it's all about how well, and how fast you can articulate/translate what is in your inner movie. Later, when you are done writing it, you might want to embellish it a bit, and that would be an ornament for me.

How's this done in music? Funny you should ask ... I did a film version of the first act of TOSCA for a directing in Opera class (instructor was Peter Mark - Virginia Opera Emeritus these days) and it went really well, and the film version I had was well written and it had some very nice details ... for example ... look at the score of the aria coming up in that piece ... and you will find that in all the instruments, there is in the middle along with his tears, a single violin, that goes ... plunk, plunk, plunk, plunk, downwards like 5 or 6 times, and that was it ... and this crazy mind person, decided that was a close up of a tear falling ... hitting the beard, falling and hitting what he was wearing, then falling again and hitting his legs, and then to the ground ... to get absorbed by the straw on it.

I could say that ... this particular instrument was added to add a subtle moment to the music, that most of us will never find or hear ... but ... there it was. 

My version was a film version with the sets on film on a scrim in the backstage ... and the singing done up front, but moments like this one could be super-imposed easily enough  while he is singing, and the camera would follow that tear, even if we had to fake it some, since no one can see a tear from the 3rd row, and we do not have to place him in the front! 

The opening was even better ... men on horses, going towards the church, and all of the filming is done from ground level, so all you see is the horses' feet, until the last moments when the camera can pan out and we see him taken to the jail!

Peter's comment? ... "... just about solved every problem that opera has ever had in a stage!" .... and I said ..."let's do it!" ... sadly, it never happened. But I think it would have been a massive show and would blow out a lot of opera traditions that can better be worked on film, instead of the "make believe" sets. 

PS: I have not tried Turandot in the same spot ... but I don't know how I can top Renata Tebaldi dwelling with Birgit Nillson. And Leinsdorf directing of course!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
bitflipper
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/03/31 12:49:40 (permalink)
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I do not normally obsess over terminology, but in this case I was hoping to provide some clarification in a sample library review I'm writing.

In the world of sampled instruments, the word "articulation" is used very broadly, referring to any programmable variation. It's a direct analogy to the original application of the word, which referred to speech patterns and the pronunciation of words. 

My conclusion: In most sampled instruments, some of the programmable options are going to be ornaments and some are articulations. It would be clumsy to draw a distinction on a Kontakt UI, so vendors simply use "articulation". Except for this particular product I'm reviewing, which calls them "ornaments". Neither is correct, but both get the idea across.

My Stuff
Moshkito
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/03/31 13:41:14 (permalink)
bitflipper
My conclusion: In most sampled instruments, some of the programmable options are going to be ornaments and some are articulations. It would be clumsy to draw a distinction on a Kontakt UI, so vendors simply use "articulation". Except for this particular product I'm reviewing, which calls them "ornaments". Neither is correct, but both get the idea across.

It's all composition ... really. And it's sort of like asking Frank Zappa, why that vacuum cleaner sound was added that apparently does not do anything for the music ... until you listen to it from a distance, and then it sounds like ... hmmm ... that makes the music a bit different! 

In the rock'n'roll format, I'm not sure that this won't be visible as much ... and sometimes sound incorrect or off kilter. Jazz has the excuse that everyone can do something different, but in general ... it's the "whole piece" that has to stand up ... not just one element. I tend to look at the whole thing, rather than one thing.

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
bapu
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/03/31 14:02:58 (permalink)
I've missed Pedro's articulations.

Or are they ornaments?
UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/03/31 14:12:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2015/03/31 15:30:21
It's the end of March. It may be time to take down my ornaments. 

My neighbors have articulated their feelings to me. 
rumleymusic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1533
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/03/31 14:25:40 (permalink)
Yeah, articulation is reserved for the attack and release of a note (accent, staccato, legato, marcato etc.).  Ornaments are added notes like trills, grace notes, and quick runs and are usually notated with a symbol (or improvised in many cases).   There are other special techniques that do not fall under either category such as muting or bowing alterations.  

Daniel Rumley
Rumley Music and Audio Production
www.rumleymusic.com
craigb
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/03/31 14:38:04 (permalink)
bapu
I've missed Pedro's articulations.

Or are they ornaments?

I'm just waiting for the thread about accidentals.  That's apparently my best musical talent. 

UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/03/31 14:46:48 (permalink)
Craigb, BayouBill already started that thread.

michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/03/31 14:57:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2015/03/31 15:30:55
Not sure, but I once wrote an abomination.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
bapu
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/03/31 15:28:33 (permalink)
michaelhanson
Not sure, but I once wrote an abomination.

Yeah, abdomen songs are the breast.
bitflipper
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/03/31 17:49:23 (permalink)
rumleymusic
Yeah, articulation is reserved for the attack and release of a note (accent, staccato, legato, marcato etc.).  Ornaments are added notes like trills, grace notes, and quick runs and are usually notated with a symbol (or improvised in many cases).   There are other special techniques that do not fall under either category such as muting or bowing alterations.  

Good answer, thanks. And pretty much what I'd guessed. So hammer-ons and pull-offs would be articulations, since they don't add notes but instead refer to how the note is generated. I'm guessing slides fall into that category, too. But not mutes? What is the musical notation for a mute?

My Stuff
craigb
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/03/31 18:44:50 (permalink)
bitflipper
What is the musical notation for a mute?

I'm used to seeing something like "P.M. ...................................." under the staff (for palm muting).

Now you've got me wondering what a pinch-harmonic falls under since you kinda need both parts (a different type of attack and an additional note).

Moshkito
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/04/02 21:18:17 (permalink)
Hi,

Sorry ... didn't think this was a detail on a synthesizer or the like. I thought it was a more generic music question!

SongCraft
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/04/02 21:55:18 (permalink)
Bitflipper: What is the musical notation for a mute?

E rotated right, looks similar to the letter M

Since you do play piano, next question you (or anyone else who happens to stumble on this topic) might want to ask is, what's the musical notation for 'Piano Pedals'? Sustain Pedal marker is a 'Shallow curve between note/chord' to mark start and end points. Not to be confused with the Slur marker (legato)!   Damper Pedal, Ped is on/start, and * (asterisk) marker means damper off/end.

Truckermusic
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1924
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/04/03 09:44:11 (permalink)
Bit

Articulation is how the note (or sound) is actually produced.
Ornamentation is how you decorate a note.

KISS Method

Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
16 Gig of Ram 
4.5 Gighz
Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
Unibrain Firewire Card
Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
Mackie Big Knob
NI Komplete 8
Machine 2
Truckermusic
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/04/03 09:44:57 (permalink)
now if you want a long and drawn out answer.....I can go there......but I like simple best.

Most of what everyone is giving you is "Technique"
Legatto vs Stacatto
Palm mute vs open string

ETC....
Just think of it as
Articulation is the "HOW"
Ornamentation is the "Fancy or Icing"

Hope that helps ......

If you are still wondering and want to satisify a deeper understanding Please refer to the "Groves Dictionary of Music and Musicians"......As Hermione Granger would say.....Only take that out as a bit of "Light" reading.

post edited by Truckermusic - 2015/04/03 09:54:48

16 Gig of Ram 
4.5 Gighz
Unibrain Firewire Card
Mackie Big Knob
NI Komplete 8
Machine 2
bitflipper
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/04/03 10:40:07 (permalink)
Thanks for the education, everybody!

My question arose as I was reviewing a Kontakt instrument that listed playing variations as "ornaments", while most sampled instruments call them "articulations". That got me thinking about what the difference is, and if one term is more appropriate than the other.

I've concluded that neither is accurate as they're commonly used with sampled instruments, but it's not convenient to separate them. If it was me, I'd called them "variations". Or "de-boreifiers".

My Stuff
craigb
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/04/03 13:15:30 (permalink)
The "Bitflipper Variations." 

Come up with an equation that is true when x = 3.
Come up with an equation that is true when x = 5.
Come up with an equation that is true when x = 8.

SongCraft
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/04/03 16:03:49 (permalink)
Fascinating in regards to many articulations markers for the 'Bow' (i.e.violin), butt even more fascinating are wind instruments, which involves many clever uses of the 'Tongue'.
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/04/03 19:03:52 (permalink)
SongCraft

Since you do play piano, next question you (or anyone else who happens to stumble on this topic) might want to ask is, what's the musical notation for 'Piano Pedals'? Sustain Pedal marker is a 'Shallow curve between note/chord' to mark start and end points. Not to be confused with the Slur marker (legato)!   Damper Pedal, Ped is on/start, and * (asterisk) marker means damper off/end.

Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_symbols

Your question is answered nearly at the bottom of the rather lengthy page.  Interesting - I studied piano for six years when I was young and managed to never learn what the markings for either sostenuto or soft-pedal was.
SongCraft
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/04/03 20:51:46 (permalink)
Hi dmbaer,

Nice find, there's a lot of content I would not be able to remember all that, but thanks for that link.   No matter the years of experience, I'm always learning something

My nephew is studying to be a music teacher, and plays guitar in heavy metal bands.  Its been years since I last taught music (piano)!  Anyway, I record, keep notes, lyrics/notation, including project notes such as, track list, virtual instruments + special notes i.e. techniques used... all that including my songs recorded on (CD/DVD). Therefore I won't shed a tear if all hard drives (and backups) fail.  I really don't care if I had to re-record my songs, I love challenges and always strive to better my last effort.

I should call my home recording studio, 'Neanderthal' or something like that.
bitflipper
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/04/04 11:07:37 (permalink)
I wonder sometimes if sight-reading sheet music won't eventually become an arcane skill, like reading Latin or tanning hides.

My Stuff
SongCraft
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/04/04 17:40:49 (permalink)
bitflipper

I wonder sometimes if sight-reading sheet music won't eventually become an arcane skill, like reading Latin or tanning hides.

I started playing without the need for sight-reading and I prefer to write/play with feel, I love music, music is my life.  I guess most musicians are like this, aww heck some of the greatest musicians can't sight-read at all 

My mother inlaw can sight-read really well but her performances are not so great. Most of her years (time) was spent studying health care instead -- she worked at the local hospital for more than 30 years and is now happily retired, she's a wonderful lady   Anyway, another example would be a brother and sister (young students - under 12 years old), the sister loved playing piano and practiced every day, she is extraordinarily talented, highly skilled at both sight-reading and performance. Whereas her brother did not really want to learn how to play piano, his performance was average at best. I blame the parents for forcing him to continue learning the piano (the kid didn't want to play piano or any other instrument) -- you can't just learn how to sight-read and that's it (no daily practice; no honing actual performance skills). Nonetheless, that kid might go on to be a music teacher but his actual playing/performance skill will not be extraordinary.

Truckermusic
Re: Question for the music majors: ornament vs. articulation? 2015/04/06 08:49:41 (permalink)
I would imagine that Yo-yo Ma can sight read extremely well and would have a different opinion.

Also take the classical guitar players David Russell and John Williams whom I KNOW sight read like you would not believe....in fact John Williams has in the past gone into a studio and read thru a score he was unfamiliar with a few times and then recorded it in just a matter of a few takes.......He was not there more than and hour if that.....

Any way, these are three extreme cases of quality sight readers.....most of us mere mortals can sight read between fumbling and not too bad....

I fumble thru

16 Gig of Ram 
4.5 Gighz
Unibrain Firewire Card
Mackie Big Knob