Samsung 850 Pro SSD Harddrive-Test Findings

Author
BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
2015/03/21 04:03:39 (permalink)

Samsung 850 Pro SSD Harddrive-Test Findings

Hi guys, I've been meaning to finish this now for almost a month, I thought it might be of interest to all.  I recently brought a 128 gig Samsung SSD 850 pro, which plugs into an external USB 3 port-this "portable" drive, I've been using for all my audio and video recording projects and I'm amazed.  It is a cheap and in my opinion better alternative to any external 7200 spindle drive on the market, and I've used Esata and various other external solutions for over 5 years-since I dropped bulky desktop systems in favor of laptops.  Nothing comes close to bettering the performance-it's even better than an internal drive-again IMO.

Here is the review I've done on my blogsite it contains all the details including my rigorous tests.
https://technicallingo.wo...o-850-pro-vantec-case/

Please note this is not spam, I'm just an independent "blogger" (ugh what a horrible term, for want of a better one) I have no affiliation with any company mentioned on blog.
Ben
 PS...sorry about the blandness of my blog, still working on this.

If your interested in Android Wear smartwatches I've been using the Sony Smartwatch 3 now for over two months and have written about this here https://technicallingo.wo.../02/13/26/  
post edited by BenMMusTech - 2015/03/21 04:14:35

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks

14 Replies Related Threads

kakku
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1646
    Re: Samsung 850 Pro SSD Harddrive-Test Findings 2015/03/30 10:25:58 (permalink)
    Very interesting stuff. I have thought about ssd things but somewhere I have heard about ssd:s not being so durable in, iirc, work that requires really numerous write operations. I have not found much evidence to support this on the internet though but it still has made me a bit wary of ssd:s. Also smaller capacity and bigger price have both made me wanting less to get one one of these. Your newly acquired device sounds like a very good product with a great guarantee. Good work on the review.
    post edited by kakku - 2015/03/30 10:48:21

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
    kakku
    BenMMusTech
    Re: Samsung 850 Pro SSD Harddrive-Test Findings 2015/03/31 18:47:36 (permalink)
    Hey Antti, yea I read all the stuff about SSD's and reliability too...the difference with the pro is the 10 year and 40 terabyte guarantee...touch wood the drive seems to be reliable.  Don't forget that technology marches forward and the stuff on the net can be obsolete before it is written.

Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Samsung 850 Pro SSD Harddrive-Test Findings 2015/03/31 22:13:41 (permalink)
    There used to be some concerns about SSD's and recording audio but even with this article in 2009 there does not seem to be an issue.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec09/articles/applenotes_1209.htm

I have just built a new machine and I have got a SSD as the C drive.  (At this stage I am running a ITB SATA drive as my audio drive though.)  I believe Samsung make the best SSD's.  Mine is a 250G and it flies.  Windows 7 boots up in no time at all.  And Studio One also boots up so fast I cannot believe it either.  They are pretty cool.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    BenMMusTech
    Re: Samsung 850 Pro SSD Harddrive-Test Findings 2015/03/31 23:00:32 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans
    There used to be some concerns about SSD's and recording audio but even with this article in 2009 there does not seem to be an issue.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec09/articles/applenotes_1209.htm

I have just built a new machine and I have got a SSD as the C drive.  (At this stage I am running a ITB SATA drive as my audio drive though.)  I believe Samsung make the best SSD's.  Mine is a 250G and it flies.  Windows 7 boots up in no time at all.  And Studio One also boots up so fast I cannot believe it either.  They are pretty cool.

Hi Jeff...nice to hear from you again...I'm getting there...not quite as mad as I was...it's amazing what education does to rewire the brain...that and stimulant medication lol...just know I've always enjoyed our chats...

SSD's are amazing if you read my review you will notice I'm using it for video editing too, it blew my mind...no more bottle necking...no more crashing rendering with full effects in minutes not hours...of course it could be the 8 core laptop with 16 gig of ram lol but truly amazing.  Latency almost non-existence even with 50 odd tracks of audio and effects/instruments...it was so much fun playing guitar rig over the last track I posted.  And the SSD needs no external power supply and USB 3.  Honestly a truly portable rig...although power is still needed.  But I'm certain if you had to record a full band or orchestra at 96khz 32 bit fp then this hard-drive could do it.

I would not recommend any other brand at this stage guys but Samsung 850 pro's are cheap enough and reliable enough now to do away with any other hard drive.

Ben 

kakku
    Re: Samsung 850 Pro SSD Harddrive-Test Findings 2015/04/01 09:56:53 (permalink)
    I am glad the durability issues are not a reality then and your drive has an impressive guarantee anyway so not much to worry. If I ever get enough loose money I will get a puter with a big ssd. Of course this might take a while...

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
    kakku
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Samsung 850 Pro SSD Harddrive-Test Findings 2015/04/01 12:30:15 (permalink)
    kakku
    If I ever get enough loose money I will get a puter with a big ssd. Of course this might take a while...

In the meantime, a 128 gb SSD is more than enough if you keep your projects, samples and loops on a hard drive.
    I even have all my samples on my SSD.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    kakku
    Re: Samsung 850 Pro SSD Harddrive-Test Findings 2015/04/01 13:34:56 (permalink)
    Paul P
    kakku
    If I ever get enough loose money I will get a puter with a big ssd. Of course this might take a while...

In the meantime, a 128 gb SSD is more than enough if you keep your projects, samples and loops on a hard drive.

My desktop comp has a terabyte hard drive and I have dedicated 100 gigs to the system partition and there is only about 9 gigs free on the system partition and about 330 gigs free on the data/program partition. I think that I need more than 128 gigs for the system drive. I have read about hybrid drives. I am not sure how good those are but they have bigger capacities although, ofc, they are not as fast as full ssd thingies. I think one of those hybrids might be good for me. Then again both of my computers suck b***s so I really should get a new i5 desktop puter and an i3 laptop. I am just waiting for a 1000 euros to fall on my hands:)

kakku
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Samsung 850 Pro SSD Harddrive-Test Findings 2015/04/01 14:06:45 (permalink)
    kakku
    I think that I need more than 128 gigs for the system drive.

On my pc with windows 7 ultimate, the C: partition is 55gb used, 33gb of which are for the C:\Windows folder.
    Then 10gb for program files and 2gb for program data , 6 gb for Users, 4gb for pagefile.sys and 1 gb for the rest.

Still on the SSD, I have a D: partition with 11gb of programs and an E: partition with 24 gb of everything DAW (including samples) that is not projects or loops.

All this on my 128 gb SSD and I still have 27gb free.

I did move everything I (easily) could that did not require rapid access, to hard drives (no user symbolic links yet).

All of the above will obviously vary from person to person, but it shows that you can get by with a smaller, cheaper SSD.

TreeSize Free is great for finding out where all your capacity is going.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    kakku
    Re: Samsung 850 Pro SSD Harddrive-Test Findings 2015/04/01 14:47:01 (permalink)
    Paul P
    kakku

On my pc with windows 7 ultimate, the C: partition is 55gb used, 33gb of which are for the C:\Windows folder.
    Then 10gb for program files and 2gb for program data , 6 gb for Users, 4gb for pagefile.sys and 1 gb for the rest.

Still on the SSD, I have a D: partition with 11gb of programs and an E: partition with 24 gb of everything DAW (including samples) that is not projects or loops.

All this on my 128 gb SSD and I still have 27gb free.

I did move everything I (easily) could that did not require rapid access, to hard drives (no user symbolic links yet).

All of the above will obviously vary from person to person, but it shows that you can get by with a smaller, cheaper SSD.

The funny thing is that I have tried to not use c:\ for silliness or stuff that could go to d:\ but still my system drive is too full. I have also tried to use 'tricks' I read from some web sites to ease the pain but not with much luck. I do not know what went wrong with my '100 gigs is plenty' plan. Maybe I will take, with software you recommended, a new look at my drive to find out if something is still left to be done.

kakku
    jimkleban
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1319
    Re: Samsung 850 Pro SSD Harddrive-Test Findings 2015/04/01 21:32:52 (permalink)
    I use multiple Samsung 850 pros in my DAW to spread the sample libraries around and get amazing results in not only how much data can stream in real time without coming close to drop outs during playback but in loading these projects with multiple huge sample libraries (KONTAKT, BFD3, MTRON PRO, etc.).  Before going SSD, some of my projects would take up to 5 minutes just to load the sample libraries, now these large projects load in seconds (less than 1 minute) which to me, is simply a pleasure for I have limited time to work on my personal music projects.

BIG BIG SSD Fan here and finally the price and reliability of these SSDs has made this feasible.  However, I still use old fashion platter drives for my recorded audio tracks for fear of "wasting" my capacity on these SSDs with all the updating that happens to these dynamic data tracks verses sample library fixed audio files.

My new DAW build had only 1 SSD as the C drive but this worked so well, I decided to add 3 more of these drives to my system and I haven't looked back.  Oh and my DAW computer (already built to be quiet) is virtually SILENT in my studio.

Life is good in my little personal studio.

Jim

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
    www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
    Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
    4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
    Splat (latest version)
    kakku
    Re: Samsung 850 Pro SSD Harddrive-Test Findings 2015/04/03 16:08:26 (permalink)
    Paul P
    kakku

Thanks for the software tip. Now I have about 18,6 gigs of free space in the system partition. Evidently I had downloaded a lot of apps on the desktop and after I moved that junk to d:\ I miraculously now have recovered a lot of space. Nice!

kakku
    kakku
    Re: Samsung 850 Pro SSD Harddrive-Test Findings 2015/04/11 18:52:25 (permalink)
    Update:After I did a little defragmenting there is now nearly 24 gigs free space in my system partition. Hooray:D

kakku
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: Samsung 850 Pro SSD Harddrive-Test Findings 2015/04/11 20:40:21 (permalink)
    Well my first attempt at SSDs was last year around this time. It didn't go well. Don't know what I did,( but it sure was me.) So I didn't put the 250gb Samsung in my music PC. Only.in the home pc

No all my trouble I had has been worked out and my BS home/internet PC has the SSD in it and runs Sonar great. Well, as good as a realtec driver can work (and it ain't that great!)

I have just read a lot of good news for these new Samsung 850's. I have also read that SSD's aren't as likely to give up the ghost as much as we thought they would just a year ago. IOW, they are much more durable than we thought they were.

And the 850's are even better! And the price has come down.

So like you Ben, I thought of using the 250gb 840 for a system drive, get two 128 gb 840's for audio and sample drives. I am formulating a plan as to where I want to put things such as 64/32bit Vst's, what programs can go on system drive, and what back up plan to follow as I am installing everything.

It will be a daunting task. But it's time. Also wondering if Win10 will play a part in this or not.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Samsung 850 Pro SSD Harddrive-Test Findings 2015/04/16 10:14:36 (permalink)
    Apparently one shouldn't defragment SSDs.

I have 256GIG of SSD by OCZ and it's great. 2 years nearly and despite having so much software I still barely have 60% used. It's good to not fill drives though as they need room to breathe so to speak.

I have 2 x 1 TB and 1 x 2 TB 7200 rpm SATA 3 drives and it just all hums along fine.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1