Helpful ReplyPre-order Rapture Pro

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 11
Author
sylent
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 309
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/17 15:38:01 (permalink)
I see no where that it says when.... "buy now" on page means "sign up and get notified".
Is there a projected date anyone knows of?

http://twisteddrive.com
Windows 7 Pro 64, i5-3570k 3.40GHz, 32Gb ram, NVIDIA Quatro 4000, 2x SSD, 2x 2Tb Dedicated storage and misc high-capacity HHD Storage, Sonar Platinum, Adobe CS6 Master Suite, Misc 3D, video, audio software. Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56/octapre, Mackie MCU, other MIDI/control, rack effects, and more.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/17 15:42:02 (permalink)
sylent
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/17 15:45:39 (permalink)
Doh.... thanks scook, I must be blind to have missed that.

Windows 7 Pro 64, i5-3570k 3.40GHz, 32Gb ram, NVIDIA Quatro 4000, 2x SSD, 2x 2Tb Dedicated storage and misc high-capacity HHD Storage, Sonar Platinum, Adobe CS6 Master Suite, Misc 3D, video, audio software. Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56/octapre, Mackie MCU, other MIDI/control, rack effects, and more.
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/17 16:29:03 (permalink)
sylent

Maybe the eye holes in your mask are too small 

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/17 16:33:11 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
FLAC files have all the benefits of WAV but use far less hard drive space as it is compressed. The compression is not lossy so you will not lose out on quality. I don't see what there is not to like.

You have to uncompress them every time they're loaded.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
sylent
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/17 17:29:07 (permalink)
BobF
sylent

Maybe the eye holes in your mask are too small 

lol..... nice.. that has to be it, or with age, just like everything else it's sliding downward! lol

sylent
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/17 17:40:07 (permalink)
Paul P
Doktor Avalanche
FLAC files have all the benefits of WAV but use far less hard drive space as it is compressed. The compression is not lossy so you will not lose out on quality. I don't see what there is not to like.

Yes that can slow the flow, but also compatibility, even though flac is much more widely supported these days, I always prefer everything pure in any media until final render.
For some reason that is one of only a few things that I can feel ok sacrificing space and DL time .... purity. lol

CrashTag- #OldHabits

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/17 18:56:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Vastman 2015/04/17 23:27:58
This thread is far more convoluted that needs to be.  Either you like the new synth or you don't.  the idea that cakewalk owes anybody a thing is laughable. It's a good price, considering the going rate for comparable products.
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/17 19:02:31 (permalink)
I think that some don't fully understand what the SONAR membership program is vs. what they would like it to be.   Eh, it'll all fall by the wayside anyway.  Until the next new CW product.  

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/17 20:39:54 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche

Paul P

sylent
Yes that can slow the flow, but also compatibility, even though flac is much more widely supported these days, I always prefer everything pure in any media until final render.
For some reason that is one of only a few things that I can feel ok sacrificing space and DL time .... purity. lol

CrashTag- #OldHabits

I still don't see the problem, Rap Pro etc handles it for you, when doing imports most software should be able to handle FLAC fine. As to this 'pureity' concept not understandng that at all it's lossless compression. Maybe I should ring up Neil Young... And talk to some audiophile hipsters ;).
rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/17 20:40:15 (permalink)
I purchased separately Rapture, Dimension Pro, and Z3TA+ 2 and then later Sonar Platinum. I don't see pricing for all of that. :-) I'll pass on the $79.00. But great to see you are working on these synths.
Paul P
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/17 21:31:35 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
I still don't see the problem, Rap Pro etc handles it for you, when doing imports most software should be able to handle FLAC fine.

I have no idea how much time and trouble is spent uncompressing samples, but it is work being done for nothing.  Maybe conversion is actually faster since less is being read from disk.

I converted all my DimPro and SD3 samples to wavs (the ones that were flac, they're not all flac) just so that everyone would be using the same format and I could use any sample with any program.  Not all software recognizes flac, Rapture being an important one, and older Audition.  The samples do take up more space, for example DimPro stock library 6.5gb flac vs 10.9gb wav, but there is just so much disk space (even on my 128gb SSD) that size doesn't matter.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
sylent
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/17 23:09:38 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
I still don't see the problem, Rap Pro etc handles it for you, when doing imports most software should be able to handle FLAC fine. As to this 'pureity' concept not understandng that at all it's lossless compression. Maybe I should ring up Neil Young... And talk to some audiophile hipsters ;).

You are correct, it's not a big problem alone ... but could be as layers are added, just like cheap cables or an unbalanced patchbay sitting on a hot PA.
And these days most software does, but all should be able to handle flac! lol

And not as an argument brother, just to explain where I'm coming from....
Purity is a concept, and so is lossless..... it is the same thing really, I do however see it as the "bigger picture".
Every compression has some loss, even if it's nominal.
In fact, any duplication has loss right off the bat.... and as a sound-man,  we strive to capture the sound as heard.
I either want to preserve as much as possible or tweak it into another being altogether.
"Lossless compression" is a term, much like "light ice cream". lol

A carpenter will tell you a quarter inch on this end could equal a foot at the other, and as a producer I want as much control as I can dig up, whether I'm using a shovel or a toothpick.... every little bit counts, especially when doing a 23 track filmscore vs when I'm playing a 5 piece rock tune.

As a filmmaker, I want a flat lifeless picture style.. no added vibrance or color, that's my job to add.
When I paint, pure color and material, and as a musician I want the recording fast and while I'm in my personal sweet-spot so that is the only time to cut corners ... and any musicians performance comes first, but the rest I can control.
If I strive to keep it pure from the time I create my empty tracks, then it will be purer when it comes time to mix and master.
That way I can add the color and feeling and not have to concentrate on removing and repairing.
It's the same as using buses instead of duplicating track effects etc. ... they both work, but one is a shorter trip than the other.
Flac serves a great purpose, and arguably the next best answer to uncompressed, but it still adds a step even to the best systems.

Audiophiles are on the same tree-branch only because they also invest in high-end gear for their passion, but they sit on another limb than a producer because they want their gear to boost bass freqs etc and give them the best sound, and a $6k set of studio monitors will sound dull to them in comparison.... but that's what I need to work.... no added flavor.

I won't speak for Mr. Young, but it probably depends on which chair his butt rests at the time... pre or post.
But have him call me ... he won't return my calls! lol

Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/17 23:29:39 (permalink)
Just came from a climate change forum which is totally insane with idiots and now this... OY! is the human race just falling apart?
Ya like it, ya get it;
ya on the fense... wait....
ya don't, bug off... 
ya think the world owes you a free lunch?  Try teleporting into The Next Generation... would be nice but we ain't there yet.

I've always loved "rapture"... and it's the perfect name... look forward
to supporting the developers.

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
fantini
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/17 23:33:07 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
fantini
Are Rapture Pro's multisamples in wav rather than flac.  I certainly prefer wav files.  Originally, Dimension Pro used wav files but somewhere along the way, the newer versions began to use flac files.
I found the original DPro wav files worked for me in many Rapture projects.  To me, the DPro multisamples sound better in Rapture. 

FLAC files have all the benefits of WAV but use far less hard drive space as it is compressed. The compression is not lossy so you will not lose out on quality. I don't see what there is not to like. I wish people would use FLAC more.

Rapture does not accept flac files in it's elements, so , that's part of the problem for me.  I realize there is software that can change flac files into wav files, but I haven't had the time to try it yet.  Wav files are so cross platform and universal in nature I can load them into other synths.....say Octopus or Harmor.  Also, I'm use to editing wav files, but as of yet, I am not sure how you would loop a flac file, among other things.  Basically I'm 85% with you on the advantages of flac files. Maybe when my VLC Media Player stops making those ugly roadside cones to replace all my wav files, I'll be 100%.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/18 08:58:36 (permalink)
Thanks for the posts... Just a couple of points... 

sylent

I haven't done a null test but it should be bit perfect and should have no loss.

sylent
Rapture does not accept flac files in it's elements, so , that's part of the problem for me. 

I think it's reasonable (however not confirmed) to assume that Rapture Pro accepts Flac across the board so hopefully will resolve all your problems. For me I hope to see a day where WAV gets completely replaced by FLAC. The death of MP3 would be a good thing as well, but ain't gonna happen any time soon. Processor speeds double every year (aka Moores law) and our processors can easily decode it quickly before playback. Hard drives may be cheap but it's still a finite resource and who doesn't want to save money, but more importantly internet bandwidth (when transferring files) can be a big limitation for some.

If the world adopted FLAC is would be a better place, sadly though the world still hasn't replaced broken SMTP (how your email works) with something better, mainly down to lack of mass adoption, so I guess I'm an idealist.
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/18 09:09:18 (permalink)
AT
But no way is it a "fix" that needs to be included with SONAR...

AT, it may not need to be included with Sonar, but it does need fixing. Rapture is a regular problem for me. When I have to watch the processor levels while I play, and play slower when they approach too high because the synth will crash and I'll have to restart Sonar to fix it, that's a bug. 

Now, I want to add that I'm playing my GR20 guitar synth. I have to have a stack of those midi filters to make it so I can change patches on the Roland Gr20 without having to restart Sonar.

I love playing the synth, but it needs fixing. I don't want to pay for a wrapper of synth I have to handle gingerly already. I want a robust synth that can take what I give it. Spread the load across processors.

The cost doesn't matter to me so much. I just want it to work as I play it.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/18 09:23:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2015/04/19 11:52:54
Well we can reasonably assume Rapture and Dim Pro will not be fixed as now it's legacy (even though it's included with Sonar).

I hope however Cakewalk can now put in a policy that all their 'modern' plugins will get fixes much like Platinum, from that I mean all Pro Channel and all synths made since Z3TA+2. I suspect there will be an effort to integrate these into CCC, rapture Pro has probably already been done. Supplying the packages with regular fixes would be an excellent course of action much like Native instruments does with their plugins or indeed how Cakewalk is now attempting with Sonar.
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/04/18 09:29:45
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/18 09:37:41 (permalink)
Rapt shouldn't choke your computer, of course.

Somehow I doubt we'll be seeing regular fixes of Rapt 2 once they get it stabilized.  I do hope they put time in for new libraries, which always helps keep a synth contemporary and in the front of mind.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/18 11:02:02 (permalink)
AT
Somehow I doubt we'll be seeing regular fixes of Rapt 2 once they get it stabilized.

If they just stabilize it and get it sort of working like they did with Dim Pro or Rapture and leave it without supporting/fixing other stuff, in other words business as usual, then I'd probably end up opting for using other synth/samplers with more support and stick with the old versions until I drop them. I hope however with the new "Splat" philosophy that won't happen so maintain an open mind, so far though no word yet, I shall be patient.
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/18 12:35:34 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
sylent

I haven't done a null test but it should be bit perfect and should have no loss.

Yes - compression need not have any loss. Otherwise any .exe program downloaded inside a .zip file or other compressed format would crash.

Flac is just a form of completely lossless compression that is optimized for audio files.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
sylent
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/18 16:52:26 (permalink)
drewfx1
Doktor Avalanche
sylent

Yes - compression need not have any loss. Otherwise any .exe program downloaded inside a .zip file or other compressed format would crash.

Flac is just a form of completely lossless compression that is optimized for audio files.

My point was that you must extract the zip first to run the exe, (or to save argument must run the zip code first), and that even today that nominal time adds up across bigger projects... and only to explain what I meant by "purity" as a concept and workflow previously.

Compression works by removing blank space, authors notations etc, and optimizing common instructions from the text in the code.
The computer still must read the code to execute it, and if an exe or sound uses 1000 lines, wrapping it means adding code after removing some.
Flac is another animal than zip.... not even close other than they both use a form of compression.

Some formats are considered "lossless" because the wrapper they use is also more optimized, flac being lean and mean because it uses a container with only one purpose, so it adds much less than a rar, which is considered leaner than zip, or at one time was.
A system that recognizes flac, already knows its a sound, zips etc must recognize the compression then read what it is inside before it can determine what to do next. Flac can better predict and start before the data is read... at least in theory, since I'm more of an expert in web scripting than compiled code. lol

These days, as opposed to just 5 years ago, computers are faster and handle tasks faster and unnoticeable for the most part, and that's why it becomes "old habit", but in the long run, until computers can read a million instructions instantly, even with my beefy machine, it's still good practice within the "big picture". IMO

I'm excited about the new synth, and that is the best format to use if not uncompressed, and if I must convert and have two copies of the sample I will ... at least it's not mp3! lol

Much love for CW and all the "desert munching" members here ... coffee, cake, and good conversation is a great thing.

jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/18 20:34:09 (permalink)
It sound's good to me. I'm sure it will sound even better to me when I get it!

J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
MANTRASKY
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 170
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/19 07:18:15 (permalink)
Hello, is this the same "Rapture Pro" that's available with Sweetwater:  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RaptureProUp

Just wondering, thanks!

ShellstaX
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 502
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/19 11:25:44 (permalink)
MANTRASKY
Hello, is this the same "Rapture Pro" that's available with Sweetwater:  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RaptureProUp

Just wondering, thanks!

It certainly is. As to it's actual availability just now - well, It's still not available from Cake - so I have my doubts - imminent though.

As a Platinum owner you can get it for $79 from the CakeStore.

Bob In Portland
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 53
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/19 15:29:23 (permalink)
Okay, I read the blurbs a little more. It appears all the third-party libraries I bought for DimPro will migrate to the new beast. Is that so? And with the new engine I should be able to make the old patches wiggle a little more. 

But I'm going to have to clear off space on my C-drive. Guess I'll do that in preparation for RapP going on sale. 
Paul P
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/19 16:19:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Bob In Portland 2015/04/19 17:54:21
Bob In Portland
But I'm going to have to clear off space on my C-drive. Guess I'll do that in preparation for RapP going on sale. 

Historically, the big piece was Dim Pro's Multisamples folder and that could be put elsewhere than on C.

If RapturePro can be installed through an installer and not through the CCC, then maybe you'll still be able to.

EDIT : I see that some third-party libraries for Rapture can be pretty big as well.

rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/19 16:23:01 (permalink)
don't know if this has been addressed; has rapture pro dropped support of the SFZ file format?
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/19 17:10:34 (permalink)
Given that RPro plays DPro and original Rapture factory and 3rd party content, it must support the sfz file format.
Bob In Portland
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 53
Re: Rapture Pro Announced 2015/04/19 17:53:44 (permalink)
Paul P. Thanks. I put an additional 4 terrabyte drive on my computer a while back for just such circumstances, and have moved a folder with 135 G over there, so I've got plenty of room now. 
post edited by Bob In Portland - 2015/04/19 18:19:45
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 11
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1