Helpful Replynaming your creation...

Author
synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
2015/04/18 09:59:50 (permalink)

naming your creation...

I'm sure that for most peeps here, who are accustomed to writing songs with lyrics or composing pieces with a theme already in mind, that this is not a problem.

I get most, maybe even all of my "inspiration" from my synthesizers and the sounds they can make, along with the usual reverb, chorus, echo effects etc...

So that invariably leaves me with bit of a pickle when it comes to naming my "art."

My first album was a self named affair, which is so, so common. But I couldn't think of anything else.

I was a bit more creative with my second album, which I called "Vast," and the theme, in general, was the vastness of the universe.

That was a long time ago, and since then I have been limited to creating ideas with a simple alpha-numerical system.

I then have to think of an idea for an album and then name the pieces that go into it.

Not that easy... Not for me anyway.

I was wondering if peeps could share their thought process when naming their works, especially when there are no lyrics or subject matter...

cheers

andy

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: naming your creation... 2015/04/18 10:09:22 (permalink)
Just call it something Latin or Ancient Greek and then your creation will stand out. 

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: naming your creation... 2015/04/18 10:26:04 (permalink)
Without a defined name in mind, it is often helpful to use a descriptive name, especially if you come back to it months/years later. Without a descriptive name you have to listen to them to find anything.

Downside is if playing, then get an idea, you need to "save as" to change the name (and possibly the folder). For MIDI work only, the projects can easily be saved in the same folder, and can even move them between folders to escalate what to focus development on.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
gustabo
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2591
Re: naming your creation... 2015/04/18 10:35:09 (permalink)
If no lyrics, I try to name the project according to what happened or inspired me to write the music, for instance, I have a project named Swedish Blonde...

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: naming your creation... 2015/04/18 12:25:09 (permalink)

I think andy is talking more about the ultimate name of the piece of music rather than a useful name for it while it's a project in the creation stage.

For a pop song, this is the key word or phrase of the song, which usually appears in the chorus.  This should sum up the whole idea of the song.

I think you have to find the title for an instrumental piece the same way.  Start with the purpose of the piece in general terms, narrow that down to a single phrase, then either keep the phrase or narrow it down even more to a single word or two.  Concentrate on why you wrote the piece, not how it was done or what it looks like.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: naming your creation... 2015/04/18 12:30:27 (permalink)
Usually I write instrumentals, and they're usually inspired by something or someone, so it's not a problem. Occasionally though a piece just 'falls out' with no thinking behind it, then I'll use a phrase which evokes a memory for me, like a short little rocker I did called 'Next Train's Gone', which is a line from the old Will Hay movie 'Oh Mr Porter'. Seems like an odd combo at first, but after a while it just sticks.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: naming your creation... 2015/04/19 01:01:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bluzdog 2015/04/19 18:10:10
I tend to think in the abstract when it comes to music and so most of my output has no meaning at all. It makes naming things a pain. Personally I find the "random" button on Wikipedia to be a good source of names. I've heard writers say they'll just open the dictionary at a random page to get an idea. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
synkrotron
Re: naming your creation... 2015/04/19 01:41:09 (permalink)
interpolated
Just call it something Latin or Ancient Greek and then your creation will stand out. 

Ah... I see you are familiar with my work 

mettelus
Without a defined name in mind, it is often helpful to use a descriptive name, especially if you come back to it months/years later. Without a descriptive name you have to listen to them to find anything.

Yeah, I can certainly vouch for that... Fortunately, at the moment, I'm not doing much, but in the past I could have as many as a hundred ideas on the go and I had to keep a document which kept a log on what each idea was, where it was up to, whether I thought it was worth carrying on with, and so on.

The way I store stuff now, though, will allow me to move a folder and even rename it and Sonar will still load and play as normal, providing I do not rename the CWP file.

gustabo
If no lyrics, I try to name the project according to what happened or inspired me to write the music, for instance, I have a project named Swedish Blonde...

Indeed, I wish I could do that, but I guess my motivations/inspirations come directly from where I am sitting, in front of my workstation.

I saw a news item once, about a guy whos music was inspired by his local landscapes. I'm just not that way I'm afraid... I wish I was but there you go 

Paul P 
I think you have to find the title for an instrumental piece the same way.  Start with the purpose of the piece in general terms, narrow that down to a single phrase, then either keep the phrase or narrow it down even more to a single word or two.  Concentrate on why you wrote the piece, not how it was done or what it looks like.

I agree... And perhaps it is something I should try. An excellent example of this, that I can call to mind, is The Planets by Gustav Holst. I do not listen to much classical music, but this is one of may most favourite works that I "discovered" as a young boy of eleven. Some of those pieces fit the title so closely, no, exactly in fact.

jamesg1213
Occasionally though a piece just 'falls out' with no thinking behind it, then I'll use a phrase which evokes a memory for me

That's a good idea. I did a track, once, that was specifically for a friend that had recovered from throat cancer. It's a happy tune, as most of my stuff is, so I thought it worked quite well given the positive outcome of his treatment. Daft thing is, it's still sitting there, called SOJ, which are the initials of my friend's name, and I've yet to think of a proper title for it.

sharke
I tend to think in the abstract when it comes to music and so most of my output has no meaning at all. It makes naming things a pain. Personally I find the "random" button on Wikipedia to be a good source of names. I've heard writers say they'll just open the dictionary at a random page to get an idea. 

This is kind of where I am coming from I guess... I have done exactly the same, using a book on astronomy, for example.

And, as you say, Wikipedia is an excellent, and more accessible idea, seeing as I'm sat at my PC anyway 

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, I enjoyed reading your replies 

Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
Paul P
Re: naming your creation... 2015/04/19 09:44:52 (permalink)
sharke
I've heard writers say they'll just open the dictionary at a random page to get an idea. 

Maybe to kickstart some lateral thinking, but I'd like to think that music is created to serve some sort of purpose, otherwise why do it.  That purpose may just be simple pleasure, but then why not call it that.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
czyky
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: naming your creation... 2015/04/19 14:09:11 (permalink)
Just looking at the OP I see lots of title potential (these are all direct-or-close-to-direct quotes):

naming my creation
theme (already) in mind
"inspiration" from my synthesizers
the usual effects
a bit of a pickle [my fave so far]
naming my art
a self named affair [okay, now this is my favorite]
so, so common
I couldn't think of anything (else)
a bit more creative
the theme, in general
the vastness of the universe
That was a long time ago
created ideas with a simple alpha-numerical system
idea for an album 
the pieces that go in(to it)
Not that easy... Not for me anyway.
sharing my thought processes
naming my work
subject matter
cheers, andy

So, perhaps, when you need a title, write a couple of paragraphs about the song, then [important] put them away for a day or two and then come back to it. (Alternatively, hand it to someone else for this next step.) Go through the essay and pull out the title candidates that are lurking therein. Then the hard part is deciding which of your top ten becomes the champion and gets to go on the label.

"I can't think of a single example of where a big company buying a small company has ultimately been good for consumers." --bitflipper
www.reverbnation.com/markadamczyk
www.adamczyk.com
Paul P
Re: naming your creation... 2015/04/19 14:11:56 (permalink)

That's pretty amazing czyky.

bluzdog
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1928
Re: naming your creation... 2015/04/19 18:09:34 (permalink)
sharke

You should have never told me about this. I can't stop hitting random articles.

Rocky
synkrotron
Re: naming your creation... 2015/04/20 16:11:55 (permalink)
Wow, czyky, thanks for putting so much effort into that 

I will certainly give that some serious thought...

cheers

andy

davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
Re: naming your creation... 2015/04/22 10:08:34 (permalink)
Ooh! Ooooh! For orchestral works I usually to an order like:
WHAT does the piece sound like ==> What is the first random arrangement of words that comes to mind ==> song name

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
synkrotron
Re: naming your creation... 2015/04/22 10:18:53 (permalink)
davdud101
WHAT does the piece sound like ==> What is the first random arrangement of words that comes to mind ==> song name

LOL, I get what you're saying, but all my stuff sounds the same so I'd still be in a bit of a dilemma there haha.

My latest track was named after some search on t'interwebs, so it's just a label really. I suppose naming my tunes is a bit like naming a child...

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1