Helpful ReplySonar Mult Feature?

Author
PGM
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 66
2015/04/16 15:48:45 (permalink)

Sonar Mult Feature?

Can we do this in sonar?

creative possibilities of triggering two or more virtual instruments simultaneously via single Midi track in Pro Tools. This is accomplished using the mult feature of Pro Tools's internal routing/bussing capabilities to duplicate the outputs of a MIDI track in order to drive the inputs of two or more soft synths. This in effect combines the sounds of the individual software instruments into an entirely new one
bluzdog
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1928
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/16 15:56:06 (permalink)
The obvious would be to clone the midi track and route it accordingly. Someone did recently mention that it is possible to run multiple vstis with with drum maps in this thread:http://forum.cakewalk.com/DrumMap-Generator-for-Sonar-m3206640.aspx

Rocky
PGM
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/16 16:16:54 (permalink)
"The obvious" is debatable!
As routing is a nightmare. for me, of course!

every time, not often, when i would like to trigger another synths, i get an puzzle to solve, as audio track changes icon to instrument track, and it gets me to think, what the hell is up, and than I solve it, but in the process, I get distracted from creativity involving music!
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/16 16:24:09 (permalink)

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

PGM
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/16 16:59:43 (permalink)
Thanks, for this i will start to try...

this is my point? Let start with blank page...Insert soft Synth!
 I dialog box uncheck everything!
Click on simple instrument..you get one icon?

Start all over again, clik on midi source, midi icon

Start again, first synth out,  same icon as simple inst, but with wheel  in the top?

Insert audio track, you get a wave icon....change setting in input , and get the above icon with wheel...( changes). To get a sound with TTS1.

Perhaps, i missed something over years, but...

Not to mention, if you want triggering from one soft to another, like sd drums and kontakt....

like I said, it its my fault, as i am not non stop recording, but i doubt i am the only one who finds this difficult, especially after some time off...

Then we go to input echo, simple instrument have it, first  sunth audio out, no? In the process, you start doubting, the perhaps sound engne is not working etc....

My q, is is there is a nice tread about this in detal, so i could learn this from begining.. some manual for dummies!

post edited by PGM - 2015/04/16 17:16:24
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/16 19:07:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bluzdog 2015/04/16 20:25:39
1) Create a MIDI track with input set to your controller, output to a virtual cable (ex.  LoopBe1 or LoopMIDI)
2) Insert a synth with the new MIDI (or instrument) input set to the virtual cable input, repeat as necessary
Make sure input echo is enabled on the MIDI track created in #1
play away

bluzdog
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1928
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/16 20:22:06 (permalink)
PGM
"The obvious" is debatable!
As routing is a nightmare. for me, of course!

every time, not often, when i would like to trigger another synths, i get an puzzle to solve, as audio track changes icon to instrument track, and it gets me to think, what the hell is up, and than I solve it, but in the process, I get distracted from creativity involving music!

Bummer. I create an audio track, insert a vsti in the fx bin and select that vsti as an output for a midi track. I've never had any weirdness with it. Scook's solution looks cool.

Rocky
PGM
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/17 05:07:04 (permalink)
yep, I used to do the same.....very simple....but the moment  i wanted to add some pro routing....

There is in sonar reference guide, around page 800, detalied explanations....I will paste and copy, as I have some time..

thanks, this is not to ****, I 'd like to see where I have problem understanding, as it sholuld be simple..
lfm
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/17 06:08:19 (permalink)
I use MetapluginSynth for this. http://ddmf.eu
Load any number of synths - draw your connections i graphical interface - done.

Since you also can use the midi output in MPS - you can chain single synths rigged like that.
Just select input from track with MPS on.

But you can load any number of synths and other stuff in MPS .
musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/17 10:13:23 (permalink)
scook
1) Create a MIDI track with input set to your controller, output to a virtual cable (ex.  LoopBe1 or LoopMIDI)
2) Insert a synth with the new MIDI (or instrument) input set to the virtual cable input, repeat as necessary
play away

Nice - thanks for this one!

Dave
Songs

PGM
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/17 14:39:23 (permalink)
lfm

Since you also can use the midi output in MPS - you can chain single synths rigged like that.

EXCELLENT!  do you put it on   each  audio track, and save it as template?
PGM
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/17 14:46:19 (permalink)
scook
play away

Thanks, this is great, I have tried it, and it works.

and of course I feel less stupid..with 2 midi tracks you play soft synth, and explanation in 2 sentencens

post edited by PGM - 2015/04/17 14:53:26
lfm
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/18 06:58:29 (permalink)
PGM
lfm

EXCELLENT!  do you put it on   each  audio track, and save it as template?

I just put common combinations of synths in an instance of Metaplugin on a track - and save as a track template.
I use some VST midi plugins like those free from InsertPizHere as combinations with synths too, like brass section, string session etc and having midi split among those i various ways.

And I activate 2xoversampling in Metaplugin on some template where sound quality increases by that - meaning synth internally in Metaplugin running 96k if project run on 48k - without you having to run full project in higher samplerate.

Even loading every VST synth you've got into an MPS instance alone, and also routing midi in to midi out doing that - you get the benefit to combine and layer these synths in Sonar by adding them on another track, and taking midi input from output of the other track. Save as track template - and resuse and load the preset of each synth that you want for that instance.

I found a while back that many synths like Dimension Pro have a midi out, but you never get anything on it - so it's fake really. So loading DP inside Metaplugin, and routing midi in to midi out - you suddenly have the ability to layer synths, one by one as you please, but on different tracks all taking midi from one track.

Or make full sets of synths in combinations inside MPS with arpeggiators on some, and different patterns on some of them etc. You can get really interesting patterns from a single midi clip. A world of creativity open up, really.
post edited by lfm - 2015/04/18 08:13:31

Cubase Pro 9 with SA2015 as backup - W7 i7 2.8GHz 16G GeForce GT 730 - RME HDSP 9632 + AI4S
Kylotan
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 995
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/18 17:37:34 (permalink)
PGM
Can we do this in sonar?

creative possibilities of triggering two or more virtual instruments simultaneously via single Midi track in Pro Tools. This is accomplished using the mult feature of Pro Tools's internal routing/bussing capabilities to duplicate the outputs of a MIDI track in order to drive the inputs of two or more soft synths. This in effect combines the sounds of the individual software instruments into an entirely new one

No... this is a feature myself and others have been requesting for years now. Unfortunately Sonar's way of handling MIDI and synths seems to make this a difficult feature to implement. MIDI tracks 'push' output to a specific synth input, instead of being 'pulled' by the synths (which would allow several synths to pull one 1 MIDI track).

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/19 03:53:26 (permalink)
lfm

Metaplugin (and your explanations further in the thread) look really interesting ... I did not know this exists ... will demo as this seems to open a lot of creative options :-)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
PGM
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/19 06:46:37 (permalink)
Kylotan
PGM
Can we do this in sonar?

No... this is a feature myself and others have been requesting for years now. Unfortunately Sonar's way of handling MIDI and synths seems to make this a difficult feature to implement. MIDI tracks 'push' output to a specific synth input, instead of being 'pulled' by the synths (which would allow several synths to pull one 1 MIDI track).

This is what I am talking about...and rather than ****ing about it, it would be prudent to talk about how to find ways around it..

I was always puzzled about dimension pro...instead of making it as a sound module, GM, multitimbral....all we ever hear about is routing problems. Why they could not make it as simple as tts1....

Second why they don't tell you...ways around it...like with midiloop etc? Upfront

as owner of v studio 100, which could be a great moxer, recorder, interface, they purposly made limitations to the product, a 4 ch recorder, for boosting sales to Boss product...I can bet, the same thing is with Dimension Pro, and Midi out!!!!

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/20 01:24:22 (permalink)
lfm

How does licensing @ DDMF work (iLok?) - I couldn't find it on the web. Can you authorize more than one workstation?

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
lfm
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/20 03:44:16 (permalink)
FreeFlyBertl
lfm

How does licensing @ DDMF work (iLok?) - I couldn't find it on the web. Can you authorize more than one workstation?

You get a personal link to do downloads and updates etc.
Your credentials are burned into installer/plugin as I understand it.
Nothing else you have to do(just save this link somewhere).

Haven't done on more than one machine, but I'm sure you can use it on any machine.
I guess the regular rules apply, use on one machine at a time.
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/20 17:16:13 (permalink)
Another plugin option is MUX from Mutools: http://www.mutools.com/mux-product.html

Although I've never used them, it includes some decent synths and FX of its own that can be used alongside VSTs. 

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: Sonar Mult Feature? 2015/04/20 21:36:18 (permalink)
BobF
Does this work?

https://www.cakewalk.com/...-create-layered-sounds

Yes, I have been using it this way for years but it uses two midi tracks e.g. two synths. I guess some people desire to use just one. Two fine examples have been given as a work around.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1