Helpful ReplySoooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5.3)?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Tripecac
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1702
2015/04/18 00:45:22 (permalink)

Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5.3)?

I'm a long-time Sonar user (since the ProAudio days).  I use it primarily for MIDI and soft synths.

My favorite version was 8.5.3.  X1 and X2 and X3 added "stuff" but didn't improve my productivity or enjoyment of using the program. 

Does the new version of Sonar significantly improve the UI for those of us who are mostly dealing with soft synths?  Does it increase the customizability?  Does it give us back some of the control that X1/2/3 took away from us?  Does it improve your overall workflow/efficiency?

Or does it just add more "stuff"?

tripecac.com
Sonar Platinum + Komplete 9
Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/18 03:59:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby John 2015/04/19 20:19:00
I wish I could give you the answer you seek, but parts of your question are kinda loaded. "Does it give us back some of the control that X1/2/3 took away from us?" implies it is a given that we lost control to begin with. Not to argue that point, since you obviously feel that way.  For me each improved my productivity and it has nothing to do with what you refer to as "stuff".  Each successive version was faster  and more stable for me.  Granted, I don't use staff view, but i do use soft synths and MIDI.  For me 8.5.3 was good product, but contained a lot of things that were good in theory but horrible for me in actual use (beatscape and matrix view come to mind). I think SPLAT is better.  How much better depends on what your usage and workflow is. Perhaps wait for the demo to become available?
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/18 06:22:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby John 2015/04/19 20:19:19
I don't know whether it is because it's a fairly fresh install for me however in the transition from X1 Producer to X4 Platinum on my system at least; I find it snappier and it easier to organise tracks. There seems to be less lag, although could be down to how I configured my drives this time and lack of internet security software. I also created a small batch file on my desktop to temporarily stop windowsupdate running in the background when I need to focus on things.

Personally I think what plug-in features are available are good however as I already own a few good convolution reverbs that wasn't my main purpose of getting the Platinum edition. It did include the majority of plug-ins I do use in X1 Producer, so that's what made my mind up about it.

I'm going to to rework a few pieces in this new platform and see if my time away from the DAW has been time well spent.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
Tripecac
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/18 14:15:15 (permalink)
Yes, I think my questions are a bit loaded.  I'm a bit frustrated with how Sonar has gone in the past few years.

Like I said, I personally felt that 8.5.3 was the "best" version of Sonar, at least for me.  It had more features than I could use, and an intuitive UI, with good customizability, and it just felt right.  X1/2/3 feels awkward, like the designers were trying to deliberately veer away from the Windows-y-ness of the previous versions.  But it's the Windows-y-ness that I clicked with.

To me, X1/2/3 feels like a girl in one of those 80s movies who starts off as the "geeky" girl next door, but then gets a "makeover" and is supposed to look hot.  But doesn't.  She just looks like a generic barbie wannabe with a dated perm.  I much preferred the girl when she had glasses and a geeky laugh.  Know what I mean?

Sonar Platinum or X4 or X999 or whatever we're supposed to call it... it's basically a girl that you RENT, correct?  You pay $149 to upgrade to Sonar Platinum, and you can only use it for a year, before you are FORCED to pay for it again?  And again, and again?  For the rest of your life? 

I don't mind paying $10 a month for Photoshop, since I use it for work.  And as soon as I stop needing it for work, I can get rid of it.  With no qualms.  So subscription-based pricing works for me there.

However, music is a lifelong hobby.  So I will be continuing to make music no matter what.  But it's just a hobby.  It's impossible for me to say my hobby is worth $X per year.  And yet, if I'm reading the whole pricing thing correctly (and I might not be), Cakewalk wants to force me to pay $149 a year (for now; I'm sure that amount will increase over time once they have us "hooked"), and if I stop paying, I cannot use Sonar, so they hold my hobby at ransom?  They don't want to let me skip versions, or to stick with what's working for me?  Instead, they want to "force" me to "date" the chick with the barbie perm and bright red lipstick?  And each year she gets another makeover (high heels, fake boobs, nose ring) I'm just supposed to shut up and "go with the flow", to keep being her sugar daddy, to keep funding the makeovers, no matter how little I appreciate them?  No matter how much I preferred the girl next door?  Is that right???

Yeah, my questions are loaded.

I just wish someone would be able to say, "Hey, I know where you're coming from, because I felt the same way about X1/2/3, and I tell you, the new version of Sonar is much more your/our type.  She has her glasses back, her geekiness back, and is actually fun to be around.  That whole 80s makeover thing was just an awkward phase, and she's back to being truly cool again.  Trust me." 

Wishful thinking, I know. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj20LKdg8-8

tripecac.com
Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/18 14:20:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2015/04/19 11:11:36
"Sonar Platinum or X4 or X999 or whatever we're supposed to call it... it's basically a girl that you RENT, correct?  You pay $149 to upgrade to Sonar Platinum, and you can only use it for a year, before you are FORCED to pay for it again?  And again, and again?  For the rest of your life?"

If you pay the full upgrade, you own it for life and get to keep everything.  You're not forced to rent it for life. 
post edited by Lynn - 2015/04/18 15:01:50

All the best,
Lynn

my songs
www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
Tripecac
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/18 14:32:03 (permalink)
Thanks for the clarification!  I was suspecting I was wrong about at least one thing! 

tripecac.com

lfm
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/18 14:45:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby John 2015/04/19 20:19:45
To some degree I know where you are coming from.
Color and toolbars customization - were more detailed in pre X series, and still is.

But I don't miss to a showstopper degree - even if I have some feature requests i in Ideas and features forum.

Colors - well, some stuff don't have a setting for you. You might have to indirectly get some things visible over clips by selecting clips for and background. Thinking of automation when track is not selected, I like to see that at all times. So I found that as a workaround.

Control bar is quite cool, and new Custom module is really good. A selection of command you put there, pretty much like a custom toolbar - but have a compact collapsed option to go away and hover mouse to let it expand, and as of now no icons for your chosen command.

Other things I appreciate are global bypass and pdc toggling in ControlBar. Really timesaver when need to do more recordings on a project that is close to final stage etc. You bypass pdc for record armed track kind of - and don't get the full project pdc while record monitoring.

Dim on solo I think is new to X-series as I remember it. Dim the overall mix unless on soloed tracks to hear what you need while recording.

Mic Recall - is really the one thing major feature that makes new Sonar shine brighter. Version of project with different plugins and settings, to use in various ways.

Member subscriptions are deeply misunderstood as you put it. You own whatever version you have after 12 months membership, downpayments by months or 12 months upfront. So it does not stop working - and you can re-enter any time to continue receiving updates and bugfixes.

The overall feel is really stable. My old lefthand reflex to save a project after each operation is pretty much gone. No worries in that department for me, anyway.

Still skeptic, rent it for a while and see what you think. It seems to be monthly releases with fixes and some new features in between as well.

Peek in Ideas and Features forum what users are missing - might give a hint too.
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/18 15:09:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby John 2015/04/19 20:19:52
I have 8.5 installed on my old XP laptop and sometimes open it to help someone on the forum. That has become pointless because to much has changed. I too liked it "better" for a long time.I totally skipped X1 and 2. I had X1 LE as well as I downloaded the demo of X1. I stayed with 8.5 until I notice mostly positive comments on the forum about x3. The opposite was true of X1&2. So I upgraded to X3 Studio just when version e came out. 

Anyhow now when I open 8.5 about all I can say is 2 things I certainly miss about it.
The Colour is way brighter. X series is gloomy.
And I find the cut /copy /paste function 100% user friendly. I hate the new system with it's weirdness. I waste more time sorting out strange behaviour every time I try and edit an audio track.  

But over all the good outweighs the bad so we carry on like we do with all software upgrades.  I also miss features of Word 2004 but suck it up and carry on with Word 2011. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

dubdisciple
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/18 15:27:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby John 2015/04/19 20:19:56
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you don't like X3, odds are you are not going to think much of SPLAT.  We already agreed on the loaded question thing and I think there are certain things you already feel strongly about that are not likely to change.  The look of Sonar was changed because the look was one of the issues that reviewers often targeted about Sonar pre-x series.  I doubt they go back to anything looking like 8.5.  Hopefully they will refine things like color options, but the bottom line is short of an entirely from scratch UI redesign, the look is going to be built on top of the current rather than an attempt at regression on something they ditched 3 versions ago.

I hope I don't sound lacking in compassion.  I know what it is like to have a product i like change in a way i don't like.  I also know that it is very rare that companies do a 180 on that sort of thing, particularly when those things involve minority.  Even among  those who dislike the X series UI, most find the workflow and stability better.  There will always be as sect of those who long for the past.  I'm sure there is someone lurking who wishes the look and workflow was still like pro audio 9.  I can only offer my experience, as everyone else can.  Your situation seems like a catch-22 in the sense that the only way you will likely adapt to X series/SPLAT workflow that increases your productivity would be to spend enough time on it to see the benefits...which of course you would not do without first being convinced that they exist. In other words, it sounds like you need a verbal convincing for a problem that will take actual experience to resolve. Not saying that's a bad thing.  Perhaps if you live near a user, you could shadow that person long enough to make a better evaluation than just reading marketing material and anecdotes. 

I can see how you would think the improvements are mostly "stuff" because of the vast list of plugins and attention paid to such things but the actual experience is so different.  My work requirements mean I often find myself looking at the stuff quickly and then settling back into my regular workflow.  New features, unless they are blatant game changers or I luck out and something just works right from the beginning, tend to take a long time, if ever to integrate into what I do. For me simple things like being able to set up tracks to automatically take on the color assignment of the buses they are routed to is helpful for me and got used instantly. Other things like vocalsync may take awhile to actually become a go to tool.
dubdisciple
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/18 15:29:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby John 2015/04/19 20:20:04
PS- mix recall became useful day of installation.  I can sit down with an artist and show them vastly different mixes very rapidly.

declan
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/18 15:55:12 (permalink)
lfm
To some degree I know where you are coming from.
Color and toolbars customization - were more detailed in pre X series, and still is.

But I don't miss to a showstopper degree - even if I have some feature requests i in Ideas and features forum.

Colors - well, some stuff don't have a setting for you. You might have to indirectly get some things visible over clips by selecting clips for and background. Thinking of automation when track is not selected, I like to see that at all times. So I found that as a workaround.

Control bar is quite cool, and new Custom module is really good. A selection of command you put there, pretty much like a custom toolbar - but have a compact collapsed option to go away and hover mouse to let it expand, and as of now no icons for your chosen command.

Other things I appreciate are global bypass and pdc toggling in ControlBar. Really timesaver when need to do more recordings on a project that is close to final stage etc. You bypass pdc for record armed track kind of - and don't get the full project pdc while record monitoring.

Dim on solo I think is new to X-series as I remember it. Dim the overall mix unless on soloed tracks to hear what you need while recording.

Mic Recall - is really the one thing major feature that makes new Sonar shine brighter. Version of project with different plugins and settings, to use in various ways.

Member subscriptions are deeply misunderstood as you put it. You own whatever version you have after 12 months membership, downpayments by months or 12 months upfront. So it does not stop working - and you can re-enter any time to continue receiving updates and bugfixes.

The overall feel is really stable. My old lefthand reflex to save a project after each operation is pretty much gone. No worries in that department for me, anyway.

Still skeptic, rent it for a while and see what you think. It seems to be monthly releases with fixes and some new features in between as well.

Peek in Ideas and Features forum what users are missing - might give a hint too.

I envy you.  8.5 was so bullet-proof for me, I didn't like X1, X2 was fine and X3e was great (with Duckbar).

I upgraded to Platinum because:

1) I really, really wanted the AD2 kits, packs etc.

2) The new business model sort of freaked me out so I bit.  But the new features are somewhat "clunky" for me (ymmv) but I love mix-recall (when it works) and I might be comfortable with all this someday.

The conversation has come up with 3 friends about this new version of Sonar and my general opinion is there's nothing wrong with using 8.5 as far as I know, X3 is great and I really haven't derived a great benefit for using "2015" yet (I don't need "content") but it's solid.

I've always rooted for CW, so hopefully all is well.
konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/18 16:04:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby John 2015/04/19 20:20:31
I find the Skylight interface introduced in X1 to be a huge improvement for workflow (after a few days of understanding it).  That is personal, of course, and it seems you don't feel the same way.

I hate the iPhone interface.

Konrad
Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 05:04:54 (permalink)
konradh
I hate the iPhone interface.

I'm not sure why that's relevant however I just hate anything to do with Apple in general. 

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 10:52:15 (permalink)
I really like the way each responder have addressed the issues the OP brought up. Dubdisciple was fantastic in the thoughtful way he answered questions.  

This is an example of the very high quality answers this forum has to offer. It was a pleasure to read this thread. 

The proper name as best as I can figure it is this year is Sonar 2015. Sonar Platinum being the flagship version. 

post edited by John - 2015/04/19 10:58:31

Best
John
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 11:56:31 (permalink)
I think that the true name is either Artist, Professional or Platinum. With the way we will always going to be up to date from now on, there is no reason to continue using numbers or dates. # years from now all users of Platinum will be using the most up to date version. With the odd exception of a few who opt out at some point. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 12:21:42 (permalink)
Tripecac
I'm a long-time Sonar user (since the ProAudio days).  I use it primarily for MIDI and soft synths.
My favorite version was 8.5.3.  X1 and X2 and X3 added "stuff" but didn't improve my productivity or enjoyment of using the program. 

If the comping feature in X3 didn't improve your productivity, that's unfortunate. A lot of folks really like it.

Tripecac
Does the new version of Sonar significantly improve the UI for those of us who are mostly dealing with soft synths? 

No.

Tripecac
Does it increase the customizability? 

No. X3 added some color options. SONAR 2015 does not add to that.

Tripecac
Does it give us back some of the control that X1/2/3 took away from us? 

I reject the premise of the question; and no.

Tripecac
Does it improve your overall workflow/efficiency?

VocalSync is pretty nifty, I've used it quite a bit. So, Yes.

Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 12:24:19 (permalink)
I agree with dub... lots of loaded implications that are totally unspecified in the OP's questions...

I'm anything but a pro user unlike many of the amazing folks who contribute to this forum... I'm mostly just a songwriter and have been dabbling with Sonar since  5 or 6 (it was soooo long ago).  I have to say, my first reaction to your OP and followup comments is "what an idiot!"  Why?  Well, from a casual users standpoint I feel Platinum is totally rad, unbelievably awesome and something dreams are made of.

I haven't begun to plum the depths as others who've responded here.  It's been a busy time in my life lately so I haven't had much time and when I do have a moment I fire it up and just write.  It's beautiful and so far beyond all the previous incantations I am in a steady state of bliss.  Just yesterday I was working on remixing my most recent creation which was way too long... saving fadeouts at different points while fixing some playing errors along the way, realizing this is frustrating as error correcting and mixing are two separate things and keeping track is a pain... Then I remembered the new MIX RECALL function. Here I am, cluttering up my hard drive with multiple saves of the same project at different lengths and I said to myself, "idiot!  time to try the mix thingy"  OY!

It is beautiful... I now have ONE version with multiple fades/setups that I can recall and squirt to mp3 in a second.  This radically changes my entire saving approach... and it is soooo smart.  If I correct an error in an orchestral part in this song, it's immediately a part of all the mixes.  This one little advance, to me, is just totally awesome. And there a a zillion such improvements since 8.5...And ALL the changes, improvements in Platinum since X3 have been detailed and if you really consider them nothing, you're brain is a bit unhinged...

Playability, power, stability, intuitiveness... every time I fire it up I thank the cosmos it provided my universe with the wonderful bakers who are actively working every day to make my songwriting more effective.

I really can't relate to anything you say. You talk about "fluff" and all I think about is all the stupid focus on "colors"... that to ME is "fluff"... Sonar 8.5 is a dog compared to the advances that have resulted in Platinum...I couldn't care less about the additional perks/toys although they are wonderful in themselves.  The platform is amazing.

Really your entire OP reflects a degree of ignorance and lazyness... all the baloney you say has been extensively discussed and shown to be idiotic endless numbers of times...I'm always impressed by the time and patience shared so freely by all the amazing folks here on this forum... answering and clarifying the same question over and over again to people who don't bother taking the time to check their assumptions before posting.  Sorry if I'm a little caustic but I just really am amazed at your post...
post edited by Vastman - 2015/04/19 12:42:35

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
ChristopherM
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1921
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 13:08:22 (permalink)
The best workflow improver is the enhanced Control Bar. Unfortunately, Cambridge broke this, and we have to hope that it will be fixed by the next periodic update.
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 13:15:47 (permalink)
I really don't understand this fixation with 8.5.3

It was a good enough version, but visually it was a bit of a mess.

I had cause to fire up my old machine the other day and while I was there, launched 8.5. 
It was a visual assault on my senses! Not at all pretty, and trying to navigate a multitude of almost identical icons in an equal number of toolbars left me reeling!

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
John
Forum Host
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 13:21:01 (permalink)
Cactus Music
I think that the true name is either Artist, Professional or Platinum. With the way we will always going to be up to date from now on, there is no reason to continue using numbers or dates. # years from now all users of Platinum will be using the most up to date version. With the odd exception of a few who opt out at some point. 

I think we will still need to know which year version a question is regarding just as we do with older versions now. We will also need to indicate if we are talking about Cambridge or Braintree.  

Best
John
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 14:04:27 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey
I really don't understand this fixation with 8.5.3

It was a good enough version, but visually it was a bit of a mess.

I had cause to fire up my old machine the other day and while I was there, launched 8.5. 
It was a visual assault on my senses! Not at all pretty, and trying to navigate a multitude of almost identical icons in an equal number of toolbars left me reeling!

Although I was a reluctant convert to X series (skipped 1 & 2) I bought X3 mainly because of melodyne ARA. I always liked the less cluttered look of the track view in X, but the console view I would still swap for the 8.5 version were it possible.
Dave Modisette
  • Total Posts : 11050
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 15:04:29 (permalink)
For me, it is that I can now see more sends (in SPLAT) than X3 or 8.5 was able to show in the console view.  That's also the case with FX in the console.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
Tripecac
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 17:42:57 (permalink)
It's interesting to see the variety of responses. 

I appreciate everyone's input, even the poster(s) who were irritated at my somewhat negative opening post.

I've become increasingly negative toward Sonar since the switch to X1.  Not like forum troll negative, but just internally grumpy.  It's like those makeover "before and after" photos; some people prefer the "before" photo, and other people prefer the "after".  I personally prefer "before" in the case of the 8.5.3 vs X1 change.  In my case, it's a purely subjective preference based on my personal experiences with the pre- and post-X1 versions; I had experienced fewer frustrations before X1 than after.  That's all. 

Anyway, thanks again for the input.  I'll almost certainly end up upgrading to the new version at some point.  It's just a matter of how long I'll stick with X3 before taking the plunge.  The longer I wait, the more money I'll save, but if there are significant fixes to the UI in the things that I do, I would be willing to upgrade sooner rather than later.  I'm guessing I'll have to drill down into specific issues to see if they're fixed in the new version; there doesn't seem to be a general declaration that the new version completely fixes people's problems with the old version.

tripecac.com

John
Forum Host
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 18:49:51 (permalink)
Actually the longer you wait the less you get. Content is release dependent. Each month we are promised additions and features plus content.  The Anderton additions for example are only specific to a release. 

Best
John
dubdisciple
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 18:55:37 (permalink)
One thing i hate about text is that tone can be misconstrued . I was not irritated at all and i doubt anyone else was. I just pointed out that the way the question was phrased made the answer more complicated for me to answer. I hope that you are able to make the leap to the current version and find a workflow in it that is better than your expectations :)
John
Forum Host
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 19:00:46 (permalink)
Dub I thought you posts were excellent. I did not see them as being "irritated" at all. Thats why I praised it and others for the high quality they were. You addressed the questions well. This is the best a forum of this sort can be.     

Best
John
dubdisciple
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 19:14:40 (permalink)
I think a lot of the issues those on the fence will be helped somewhat when demo is available.
Tripecac
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 21:05:30 (permalink)
Dub wasn't the one who came across as irritated.  I was referring to a different poster.  Just control-F the words "idiot", "stupid", "ignorance", "lazyness", or "baloney".  ;)

Each month we are promised additions and features plus content.

Good point.  How's the content going so far?  Is there a list somewhere of what monthly content people have received? 

tripecac.com

dubdisciple
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 21:34:27 (permalink)
So far it has been a mixture of loops, synth presets, reverb impulses, pro channel modules (bark of dog and panipulator are awesome freebies already, but having them as PC modules helps those who have abandoned regular fx bin) and custom fx chains from Craif Anderton.  Obviously, the degree of usefullness for each of these things will vary from person to person.  this is also in addition to various bug updates and tweaks to existing features.
konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
Re: Soooo...... Anything new and improved for those of us still using X3 (and missing 8.5 2015/04/19 22:36:01 (permalink)
I mentioned the iPhone interface to point out that a UI--like Sonar's Skylight--can be a breakthrough design with millions of users and still not please everyone. I *do* think, however, that Cakewalk listens to users far more than Apple does.

Konrad
Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1