ROLAND BOSS PEDALS

Author
RockaRoller89
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2015/04/15 20:45:09 (permalink)

ROLAND BOSS PEDALS

So I am starting to like the sound of BOSS SD1 over DS1. Or perhaps I was wrong on what the sound of distortion is, What's the difference between Overdrive and Distortion ?

I have BOSS DS1 any suggestions on how I could get more of a SD1 tone with it instead of distortion.?

VST Plug in I been using of BOSS SD1 I been using setting were

LEVEL 12OCLOCK
TONE 12OCLOCK
DRIVE ALL THE WAY.

Now I know VST vs real pedal would and could be different but what do you guys think ?

9 Replies Related Threads

drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re: ROLAND BOSS PEDALS 2015/04/15 22:29:51 (permalink)
    RockaRoller89
    What's the difference between Overdrive and Distortion ?

Often for those of us who make a distinction it has to do with the way the electronic circuit actually produces the distortion. 

But if you looked at the waveforms, what's called "distortion" tends to be more obviously clipped whereas "overdrive" is smoother, more touch sensitive and closer to the original.

And "fuzz" is a totally different animal. 

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re: ROLAND BOSS PEDALS 2015/04/16 08:50:28 (permalink)
    RockaRoller89
    I have BOSS DS1 any suggestions on how I could get more of a SD1 tone with it instead of distortion.?

You will not get an SD-1 tone out of a DS-1. They are technically different and would require mods to even come close. Both pedals are $40 - $50 brand new, about $25 used. At those costs don't try changing the DS-1 to sound like an SD-1, just buy an SD-1 and add it to your collection.

Just my 2 cents...

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: ROLAND BOSS PEDALS 2015/04/16 11:39:21 (permalink)
    RockaRoller89
    So I am starting to like the sound of BOSS SD1 over DS1. Or perhaps I was wrong on what the sound of distortion is, What's the difference between Overdrive and Distortion ?

Scale really and tone really. Distortions distort more and compress more, though some distortions can work well at lower gain settings. The Rat being one example, and an SD-1 with its gain set high produces quite a lot of distortion. Another way of looking at it is that overdrives are intended to hit an amp with a higher input signal to push it into distortion plus add some clipping of their own as well. Good overdrives usually "clean up" by reducing the guitar volume, distortions not so much.

Many overdrives also produce a mid boost to increase focus so soloing/lead work will cut through a mix, the Tubescreamer being a good example. The SD-1 also adds a mid boost, but it's a bit less pronounced. Distortions often have a scooped mid, the Big Muff being an example. Some guitarists use overdrives with the pedal volume set high and the pedal gain low or even off altogether, using the pedal's compression and mid boost to push their amp.

RockaRoller89

Try turning the gain down. Though the two pedals are different even though both use diodes to generate the cliping. The SD-1 produces asymmetric distortion where the two halves of the wave-form are clipped to differing amounts, which is closer to how valves behave than symmetric distortion. The Sd-1 is also less bright and more mid heavy.

RockaRoller89
    Now I know VST vs real pedal would and could be different but what do you guys think ?

No "would" or "could", they are very different. Having tried the SD-1 emulation in Amplitube and the similar effect in Guitar Rig and TH2 they sound, respond and feel completely different to the real thing. Vintage fuzz emulations, especially of the Fuzz Face are even worse. To get anywhere close to the response and tone changes you get from the real thing simply by turning the guitar's volume pot out of an emulator requires considerable eq-ing and fiddling with the gain levels throughout the software rig.

The easiest way to get the SD-1 sound is to get an SD-1. They're an absolute bargain pedal. The design is essentially the same circuit as the Tube Screamer but with assymetric clipping, flatter tonal response, a better bypass buffer and they cost about a third of the Ibanez or Maxon Screamers. If you use humbuckers the SD-1 might be a bit mid heavy, though not so much a s a Screamer. Desoldering the capacitor marked, if I remember correctly, C6 on the board can open them up quite a lot. And if you don't like the result, just put the capacitor back.
    post edited by tlw - 2015/04/19 14:19:46

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re: ROLAND BOSS PEDALS 2015/04/19 10:27:10 (permalink)
    Excellent explaination Tim.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: ROLAND BOSS PEDALS 2015/04/19 11:09:20 (permalink)
    I've put aside all my Boss pedals and have rebuilt my pedal board with Mooers. The Boss pedals are way to big so I like these new micro pedals both for tone and size. Boss Pedals are just plain outdated and overpriced.
     The Mooer green Mile is one of the best Overdrives I've used to match up with my Fender Princeton. I can now get my "11" sound at 5. I will add a Distortion Pedal next. But right now I got side tracked by purchasing a Blackstar amp. But it does not "overdrive" like my Princeton. It's all "Distortion" It seems stupid to have to use an overdrive pedal on an amp that has a zillion settings for effects. I'm keeping it and will see what can be done. 
    post edited by Cactus Music - 2015/04/19 11:18:01

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

tlw
    Re: ROLAND BOSS PEDALS 2015/04/19 14:29:49 (permalink)
    Like everyone else old enough to remember when Boss were pretty much the "industry standard" I own a few Boss pedals, but the only ones I actually use these days are an SD-1 and (sometimes) their noise gate. The Sd-1 is a decent overdrive with slient switiching and is also useful for buffering some of the pedals after it which have less than ideal bypass or buffers with too low an input impedance. For some reason putting a Boss buffer in front of some MXR and EHX modulation seems to cure the "tone sucking"  volume drop you sometimes get with them.

I've a Mooer tremelo (the little black one) and it's pretty good. It's in my live blues/r'n'b rig because I rarely need to adjust the waveform or depth (both on micro-pots), just the rate and it's conveniently tiny. I'm less impressed with Mooer's digital gear though to be honest. For delay and reverb I prefer TC Electronic, and for octave effects either an analogue octave fuzz or EHX HOG.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: ROLAND BOSS PEDALS 2015/04/20 16:06:35 (permalink)
    VST's never feel right to me.

might SOUND right,
    but never feel right.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

tlw
    Re: ROLAND BOSS PEDALS 2015/04/20 20:33:54 (permalink)
    I have enough trouble getting them sounding right, never mind feel :-(

And what sounds right today often doesn't sound right tomorrow :-(

And believe me I've tried. It would be very convenient for me to be comfortable with software emulation for tempo matching and reproducability, but there's just something about the sound and feel of digital emulation of distortion, valve harmonics and filters that feels uncomfortable and "wrong" when I use it. I can live happily enough with some digital delays, modulation and reverb though.

I have heard guitarists who can work really well with digital emulators. I saw Steve Hillage (System 7) and Dave Brock (Hawkwind) over Easter and both use emulators (Hillage software, Brock a Pod into a Jazz Chorus) and sounded really good. It has to be said though that both have quite a "synthy" tone and feel. Just doesn't seem to work for my playing.

RockaRoller89
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: ROLAND BOSS PEDALS 2015/04/30 01:30:42 (permalink)
    tlw
    RockaRoller89

Scale really and tone really. Distortions distort more and compress more, though some distortions can work well at lower gain settings. The Rat being one example, and an SD-1 with its gain set high produces quite a lot of distortion. Another way of looking at it is that overdrives are intended to hit an amp with a higher input signal to push it into distortion plus add some clipping of their own as well. Good overdrives usually "clean up" by reducing the guitar volume, distortions not so much.

Many overdrives also produce a mid boost to increase focus so soloing/lead work will cut through a mix, the Tubescreamer being a good example. The SD-1 also adds a mid boost, but it's a bit less pronounced. Distortions often have a scooped mid, the Big Muff being an example. Some guitarists use overdrives with the pedal volume set high and the pedal gain low or even off altogether, using the pedal's compression and mid boost to push their amp.

RockaRoller89

Try turning the gain down. Though the two pedals are different even though both use diodes to generate the cliping. The SD-1 produces asymmetric distortion where the two halves of the wave-form are clipped to differing amounts, which is closer to how valves behave than symmetric distortion. The Sd-1 is also less bright and more mid heavy.

RockaRoller89

No "would" or "could", they are very different. Having tried the SD-1 emulation in Amplitube and the similar effect in Guitar Rig and TH2 they sound, respond and feel completely different to the real thing. Vintage fuzz emulations, especially of the Fuzz Face are even worse. To get anywhere close to the response and tone changes you get from the real thing simply by turning the guitar's volume pot out of an emulator requires considerable eq-ing and fiddling with the gain levels throughout the software rig.

The easiest way to get the SD-1 sound is to get an SD-1. They're an absolute bargain pedal. The design is essentially the same circuit as the Tube Screamer but with assymetric clipping, flatter tonal response, a better bypass buffer and they cost about a third of the Ibanez or Maxon Screamers. If you use humbuckers the SD-1 might be a bit mid heavy, though not so much a s a Screamer. Desoldering the capacitor marked, if I remember correctly, C6 on the board can open them up quite a lot. And if you don't like the result, just put the capacitor back.

Thanks for the Info. I just scored a REAL SD1 Mint still has box for $30 on EBAY.

Yeah another thing is, I now use Very Light Gauge Fender Strings so I think since they are thinner strings I am simply not getting the FULL DS1 Effect, As Distortion I was once told works best with heavy Strings. The SD1 with Thin Strings I think would be alot different Ball Game.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1