How to handle input gain variations on voice recording ?

Author
J-War
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
2015/04/20 08:30:50 (permalink)

How to handle input gain variations on voice recording ?

Hello all,

I am using Sonar X3, a Fireface UC and a M-Audio Sputnik Mic.
When recording vocals that have a lots of volume variations (Whispering > loud singing > Whispering > normal singing for example) i have to manualy change the input gain on the audio interface all the time in order to avoid either " clipping " or low signal.

I'd like to know if there are any solutions (beside managing the distance between the singer and the mix) to get rid of those annoyances ?

I was thinking about using a hardware limiter between the mic and the card but i was told those hardware weren't fast enough to handle the signal variations accurately.

Any idea or hardware suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.

12 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: How to handle input gain variations on voice recording ? 2015/04/20 09:28:21 (permalink)
    Ideally, you do adjust the interface's gain as needed, and avoid combinations of whispers and shouts in the same take. But if you are both singer and engineer, it's not possible to pay adequate attention to both tasks at the same time, in which case a hardware compressor/limiter can help immensely. Their speed is not a limitation.

Where you get into trouble is depending entirely on a compressor/limiter to take care of it all. You'll end up with accidentally over-compressed takes, or record too quietly because you assume it's all automatic now. Even with the compressor on you still have to remain cognizant of the interface gain and adjust it as needed.

I read about an interesting technique that was used to record a David Bowie tune in which he wanted to sing a wildly-dynamic vocal track in one take. They set up two microphones, one close, the other far, and recorded both of them simultaneously. In the mix, they crossfaded between them when transitioning from loud to quiet and back. I thought that was a clever solution, even if not practical for everyone (you need a very nice-sounding room to record far back from the microphone).

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    J-War
    Re: How to handle input gain variations on voice recording ? 2015/04/20 09:49:32 (permalink)
    Thanks for your clever answer bitflipper ! ;)

I do 100% agree with you, as you said i have to be both the singer and engineer at the same time, which is why a piece of hardware between the mic and the audio interface would help a lot... :)

Although it's indeed a clever idea, because of the problem explained above, i won't be able to use two mics at the same time.

Any ideas about any hardware able to do the job in a nice and transparent way around $300-500 ?

Just saw those :

Golden Age Project Comp-54 MkII

FMR Audio PBC-6A

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: How to handle input gain variations on voice recording ? 2015/04/20 10:08:28 (permalink)
    Separate takes is the most obvious solution, but to  add to bit's suggestions:

the first thing is the singer.  You can control a lot of dynamics at the source, simply by moving your head back and closer to the mic.  Yea, this can change the tone a little but is better than scorching the take.

If the room will allow, and you have a mic/preamp combo that can handle it, back the singer off.  I usually start out at about 18 inches normally, but one can do farther away.  Remember, distance is the original compressor.  Because sound energy is geometric, doubling the distance between mic and source drops the energy by 1/4. 

This is one of those things that should be noted when people wonder why so much is spent on equipment - hundreds (or thousands) on a preamp.  Where you can get a good compromise on a problem take using a lower-cost, integrated interface it will probably take more time and work.  A really nice preamp will have the gain to back the singer off without losing clarity or definition, it will grab the lower volume sounds yet not distort on the louder ones but go into a nice transformer saturation whereas the IC interface distorts or the converters give you digital hash.  Forget all the talk of "tone" etc., it is just that good tools will save you as an engineer.  I was recording one of the better local fiddle players.  She has a really nice violin and while talking shop she admitted it had saved her ... neck many times.  A good talent and tool work together.  Good tools make your job easier and less frustrating and let you survive your mistakes with reputation intact.

Long story short, try backing off the mic as far as the room and equipment will allow.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    J-War
    Re: How to handle input gain variations on voice recording ? 2015/04/20 10:18:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for your answer.
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re: How to handle input gain variations on voice recording ? 2015/04/20 10:29:52 (permalink)
    If you have an Omni pattern mic, or your mic can be switched from cardioid to Omni, then you should try that.  It will allow you to back off the mic without loosing tone (but you will add a little room "presence" as you back away).  A standard cardioid pattern adds more bass the closer you get to it, which sounds real nice for intimate close, quite vocals, but means your voice sounds thin if you back away from it.

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re: How to handle input gain variations on voice recording ? 2015/04/20 11:23:34 (permalink)
    Hi J,

To add to the great advice you got here, I'd go with a input signal of -12 to -6 and forget touching the input gain. As long as you're at 24.bit you have plenty of room to manipulate your sound after you record. Meaning, compress after you print the track qnd then just automate the parts you want louder or lower or heck, though I try to stay away from this, you can normalize low signals if need be. Years ago that method would never be mentioned by me, but in today's times, the only time you may get noise artifacts from this is if you record with an input signal that is super weak.

Personally, I'm a fan of recording individual tracks for individual situations. This way you get the parts exactly the way they should be and they will be closer to the vision you may have in your head. I do use compression going to disc but never in excess. So I don't think that will be as helpful as one may think. The reason being, it can mess up your dynamics if your not careful and there is no undo....you have to re-track.

In situations like yours, in all the years I've been doing this, the best fix for me was a happy medium on the input signal, compress in Sonar after, write in your automation and call it a day. Anything like whispers or what I would call "special" I just record on a separate track and process it the exact same way..... Compress and then automate to taste. Good luck!

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: How to handle input gain variations on voice recording ? 2015/04/20 11:27:23 (permalink)
    Danny beat me to it... With 24 bit you have a lot of leeway to play with in mixing as long as the signal is far enough away from the noise floor.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: How to handle input gain variations on voice recording ? 2015/04/20 11:28:24 (permalink)
    this:

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

J-War
    Re: How to handle input gain variations on voice recording ? 2015/04/20 12:00:10 (permalink)
    Thanks all for you clever advices and feedbacks.
    I agree with you all, i'd better have to manage distances and signal gain rather than putting some hardware i won't be able to " undo " after.

Thanks again.
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re: How to handle input gain variations on voice recording ? 2015/04/20 16:05:02 (permalink)
    J-War
    Thanks all for you clever advices and feedbacks.
    I agree with you all, i'd better have to manage distances and signal gain rather than putting some hardware i won't be able to " undo " after.

Thanks again.

Well see, that's another "sort of" misconception. Many of us that have been doing this a long time, didn't have Sonar or some sort of "non destructive" recording situation. So we had to record with effects at times. That said, a majority of the recordings you hear today literally have destructive hardware altering or coloring the sound.

The problem arises when someone grabs a piece capable of compressing or limiting...and they go too far. With a little trial and error, you or anyone else could record fully with destructive effects. But until you can get to that point where you know how much is enough, there's really not much of a need. Especially when we can add things in Sonar that do not effect the material permanently unless you want that to happen.

A little compression going to disc is a good thing because it can give you a nice, conditioned signal. In other instances, it can give your sounds a coloration that doesn't always make it to the track when you try to use a digital plugin inside Sonar.

There are compressors that the serious recording guys use just for this purpose. It may make a track a little more powerful....a little more warm or neutral so to speak....a little more consistent, or heck, it may do something totally funky and artistic to the sound. When used in moderation, stuff like this literally helps you create the sound. When used to the extreme, it can ruin a track which is why I and others had mentioned "you gotta be careful".

So you can get one of those hardware devices....but unless you have a specific reason for using one, it is more of a preference, not a necessity. I like the way my vocals sound when I record with an LA2A, Fairchild or 1176 on the track BEFORE it hits the disc better than when I don't use one of those.

I don't hit them hard most of the time, but when I do, it's for effect purposes and 98% of the time, I nail it. I always test it out to see how it translates. Since my vocals are the last things I track, it's easier for me to make a decision on how much comp is going in. This method isn't for everyone, but it is something that can be very useful at some point if you ever decide to go down this road. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    J-War
    Re: How to handle input gain variations on voice recording ? 2015/04/20 16:31:54 (permalink)
    I am considering buying a UREI 1176 LN in few monthes, until then i'll follow the advices here and won't buy any cheap piece of hardware and will instead stick to the old method.

J.
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: How to handle input gain variations on voice recording ? 2015/04/20 21:59:16 (permalink)
    There's always the method Dusty Springfield used - multiple takes of phrases or even individual syllables at different volumes, vocal tone and distances from the mic and using different acoustic spaces. Then put the whole thing together afterwards.

Must have been a nightmare for whoever got the job of cutting and splicing the tape.....

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1