Author
TremoJem
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 479
2015/04/16 09:58:42 (permalink)

On Board Video...HD4600?

I have a custom PC from StudioCat.

It is flawless and it works great.

Here is my concern. When I ordered it, I did NOT upgrade to a video card (stupid me), but instead opted for the default on board thingy...I think they call it the HD4600.

I run a main 40" HD 1080P monitor/tv display with HDMI, VGA and I think DVI inputs. I also run a second 20" dedicated PC display which is also HD 1080P with pretty much the same inputs.

I have tried all input and input configurations and this is what I see, no matter what.

The 20" is flawless.

The 40" is odd in that when I open Ozone, some of the controls and information are in red and it is oddly deformed!

Slide that plugin to the 20" and it is perfect.

To really give you a good idea of what is happening, when I open windows explorer the text is odd in that, depending on where I place the window the text will change colors right in front of my eyes in real time.

Slide the window to the 20" and it is flawless.

So here is my question, (after looking online and adjusting all possible parameters with the monitor and video driver etc.) will I benefit from upgrading to a dedicated video card?

I have sent Jim a copy of this post for his review.

I just wanted to see if anyone else thinks this would help or not, or if they too, are experiencing this whilst using a dedicated video card.

Thanks

Purrrfect Audio LLC Pro Studio, Sonar X3e PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - Dell Inspiron 1760, Sonar 7 PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - iZotope Ozone 5 & Alloy 2 - MOTU Audio Express & 2 MOTU 8Pre - Glyph & Lacie External HDs - Roland A-800Pro - Mackie MR5mkIII - Shure - AKG - Sennheiser

Most importantly...not enough time.

www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

13 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: On Board Video...HD4600? 2015/04/16 10:26:22 (permalink)
    Just received your Email... but figured I'd respond here since it may help others.

That behavior is not normal... and (assuming the HD4600 isn't defective) I doubt the HD4600 is the culprit.

What happens if you swap video ports between the two monitors.
    IOW, Is the odd behavior tied to a single video output... or is it consistent with the 40" display.

Has this always been an issue with the 40" display, or is this something that developed over time?
    If the later, make sure to apply all Windows updates... and see if that resolves the issue.

What happens when you connect the 40" display and use it as a TV?

• Get the OS up-to-date (this will also update the HD4600 drivers if they're older)
    • Make sure the 40" display is not defective
    • Make sure the issue isn't limited to a single HD4600 video output

A dedicated video card is easy to install (I'm happy to make a recommendation and step you thru the process).
    I'd just hate for you to spend the $$$ and still have the issue (assuming it's the 40" display).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    TremoJem
    Re: On Board Video...HD4600? 2015/04/16 12:12:21 (permalink)
    Thank you for your quick response Jim.

What happens if you swap video ports between the two monitors.
    IOW, Is the odd behavior tied to a single video output... or is it consistent with the 40" display.
     I will try that and let you know.

Has this always been an issue with the 40" display, or is this something that developed over time?
    There has always been an issue with the 40" display.

If the later, make sure to apply all Windows updates... and see if that resolves the issue.
    All Windows Updates are current.

What happens when you connect the 40" display and use it as a TV?
    I will try that...see below.
    • Get the OS up-to-date (this will also update the HD4600 drivers if they're older)Windows Updates should effectively take care of that.
    • Make sure the 40" display is not defective. I can connect a Blu-Ray to it to test it.
    • Make sure the issue isn't limited to a single HD4600 video output. O.K.

A dedicated video card is easy to install (I'm happy to make a recommendation and step you thru the process).
    I'd just hate for you to spend the $$$ and still have the issue (assuming it's the 40" display).

Purrrfect Audio LLC Pro Studio, Sonar X3e PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - Dell Inspiron 1760, Sonar 7 PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - iZotope Ozone 5 & Alloy 2 - MOTU Audio Express & 2 MOTU 8Pre - Glyph & Lacie External HDs - Roland A-800Pro - Mackie MR5mkIII - Shure - AKG - Sennheiser

www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com

TremoJem
    Re: On Board Video...HD4600? 2015/04/17 06:56:55 (permalink)
    I did not get to it last night.

I have been working on my midi controller and pedals.

It is such a struggle to understand. I am using a PC Editor for the FCB1010 and am trying to program it to use the expression pedals with my Timeline, Mobius and BigSky.

I got it to work and now the darned thing won't change presets for the Mobius and BigSky.

So I did not get time to play with the monitor. Hopefully this weekend.

www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: On Board Video...HD4600? 2015/04/20 10:07:09 (permalink)
    Just to be clear, is the 40" a TV or a actually computer monitor? I was woderning because I am using a 32" TV as a second monitor on our office computer to watch movies. There would seeem to be issues because windows does not have drivers? for it, or does that matter. Mine works fine for movies but is a terrible computer monitor. it too is 1080 and I've tried all ports but the resolution is never perfect. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Sycraft
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 871
    Re: On Board Video...HD4600? 2015/04/20 11:10:46 (permalink)
    Even if you had upgraded the video card, wouldn't matter as laptops are almost always dual-card these days meaning the integrated card is used unless something calls for acceleration. Take a picture with your cellphone and post it to give a better idea of what you are talking about, might help us have some idea of what is going on.
    TremoJem
    Re: On Board Video...HD4600? 2015/04/21 06:17:23 (permalink)
    Sorry, I have been away for awhile.

Many things needing attention around here.

Yes, it is a TV.

Not sure a pic would show, but I can try.

www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com

FoggyMind
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 65
    Re: On Board Video...HD4600? 2015/04/25 00:06:59 (permalink)
    hello, it may just be the frequency of the out put to the TV, I had a similar problem so I changed the frequency.
    it's fine now. In windows right click on screen, select graphic properties, then select the monitor and you should be able to change the frequency. you can try each one and to find the best fit. also you should check the spec for the tv. you may find frequency adjustment there as well. oh...  that will be under (refresh rate)

peace!

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: On Board Video...HD4600? 2015/04/25 09:35:38 (permalink)
    Something else to consider.  I run two HDTV's as displays for Sonar, as well as other configurations for watching TV or playing video games on one and running Sonar/Windows on the other, so I have a great deal of flexibility just by switching input signals.

Both displays are connected to my computer's on-board graphics, one is using VGA, and the other is using HDMI.

I used to have issues with display for some windows of some programs, or with some programs altogether, and found out that at least at some time in the past, some of the Sonar windows did not display properly IF I had the Windows 'Make Text Larger or Smaller' setting set to the 150% (Largest) setting.

Once I set that back down to Normal (100%), it all displayed just fine, although it was pretty small for my old as crap eyes.

Just a thought - you can check it easily enough, by right-clicking on your desktop, then click on Resolution, and you will see the link for Make Text and Other Items Larger or Smaller, or however it is worded.  Once there, try it at 100% (if not set to that already).

I have run with on-board graphics for years now, and all works flawlessly for me, so I would think that mechanism itself would not be the issue for you - (except maybe for what I describe above).  On-board graphics should work great for two displays.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    TremoJem
    Re: On Board Video...HD4600? 2015/04/27 06:29:47 (permalink)
    Thanks guys I will try both ideas about frequency and text size.

Been way too busy here and have not even fired up the studio...darn.

www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com

TremoJem
    Re: On Board Video...HD4600? 2015/04/28 17:10:34 (permalink)
    OK, so I tried different inputs...no change.

I tried different frequencies (refresh rates)...no change.

I am already on 100% for text size.

Looks like I have to live with it.

What was odd was when I had Sonar open my WinExplorer had the problems I list above, but without Sonar open the text appeared to be OK.

Not sure anything will help.

Will try to get pics and post with TV model information.

www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: On Board Video...HD4600? 2015/04/28 18:46:22 (permalink)
    Yeah - I went back and reread the initial post (actually the whole thread too), and I agree with Jim, that your 40" display behavior is not normal whatsoever.

He had suggested you try swapping the connections from the computer to the 2 TV's, to see how they each behave using the cable from the other one.  That might expose some additional behavior you could post back for us to try to help you figure out what is happening.

The other thing he suggested was that you try using the 40" TV as an actual TV, to see if there are any display issues once it has no connection to the computer.  That too may be telling.

I use a 32" and a 40" TV all the time, and have for the past 2-3 years, with absolutely no issues at all, so something seems amiss with either the hardware or the drivers or one of the cables.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    FoggyMind
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 65
    Re: On Board Video...HD4600? 2015/04/28 22:55:08 (permalink)
    Did you check the TV settings?
    TremoJem
    Re: On Board Video...HD4600? 2015/04/29 06:38:13 (permalink)
    Yes, awhile ago...but with no success.

I will try to re-visit everything again and do some screen shots with a HD camera.

It seems that it may be preventable, in fact it may be a faulty cable, but that should have been discovered when I swapped cables from each monitor.

Keep you posted.

www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1