My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head.

Author
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
2015/04/13 11:43:42 (permalink)

My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head.

WEIRD. This has never happened to me and frankly, it scared me. Somehow I managed to, at some point during the night, get my hand up under my head on my pillow. My arm was bent around my head. I woke up because I had to "go". Memory is a little foggy because I was half asleep but I remember thinking that my hand didn't feel right (I guess it didn't feel at all). I think I must have reached back with my left hand and lifted my right hand up and let it go... my right hand fell, full force, onto my forehead as if it were something alien to my body. Then I began to feel the blood rushing into my arm below my shoulder. All seems OK now but I wonder how long before something like that would cause permanent damage... a friend of a friend did something REALLY stupid. He was into drug abuse and got a fentanyl patch, he used a needle and hit the gel. His dad found him unconscious in his rom after about 10 hours. He had fell in such a way that his leg was in an un-natural position under his body and had had the circulation cut off so long they had to amputate his leg... this worries me. I am not abusing drugs though and I can't imagine that my arm would ever get the circulation cut off for that long but then, I don't know how long is too long either.
It took a couple of minutes before everything felt sort of normal.
Is it normal at all. I wonder because while I've had a foot or hand get circulation cut off and go to "sleep" before, I've never had a whole limb do it and then fall onto my head. I'm glad it didn't hit me in the eye or nose...
So, any ideas? Anything like this ever happen to you?
Thanks.

Julien

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!

24 Replies Related Threads

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/13 11:50:24 (permalink)
    I get hit by Andy when he's asleep.  Does that count?

At least he claims he's asleep....

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

jbow
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/13 11:54:55 (permalink)
    Karyn

Thanks for the laugh... . I needed it!
    My wife does not hit me but when she lays on her back she always turns her head in my direction and in deep sleep, blows at me. It is OK early in the night. I just smell the wine but in the wee hours... well... but hey! I have to hit myself. At least you have someone to do it for you.
    Karyn, it was weird. Like my arm was a corpse arm.... maybe I am turning into a zombie! CARL....
    That reminds me of a zombie tee I saw on Teepublic.. it is a cartoon of Rick (Andrew Lincoln) and he's a zombie saying "Coral..." LOL.

J
    post edited by jbow - 2015/04/13 12:07:48

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/13 11:58:20 (permalink)
    jbow
    Karyn

Thanks for the laugh... . I needed it!

J

You think it's funny?  He's a big guy... 

Mekashi Futo
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

UbiquitousBubba
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/13 11:58:36 (permalink)
    This never happens when you sleep in a straight jacket. At least, that's why they told me they were putting it on me. 

My understanding (yes, that's an oxymoron) is that a person normally wakes up before permanent damage is done. I've heard that doctors have some actual knowledge about health conditions, but I'm not convinced. 

Have you considered the possibility that Andy has taken control of your arm?
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/13 12:00:27 (permalink)
    When I was younger I sometimes used to wake up with a "dead leg." Actually it wasn't dead in as much as it tingled quite unbearably, but I couldn't move it. It would really freak me out, to wake up half paralyzed like that. I'd slowly feel life coming back to it and everything was OK. I have also woken up with dead arms due to sleeping awkwardly on them. I don't think it's anything to worry about to be honest, but as with anything else that worries you it's worth getting a checkup if only for your peace of mind. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Mesh
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/13 12:00:52 (permalink)
    It's happened to me maybe once or twice in my life, but I never took any notice of it. Once I woke up (while the arm was asleep), I just changed positions and all was well.

My wife however complains that her bottom end is always falling asleep, and I told her yes dear.......I heard it snoring.    

(I keeeed...I keeed.....I keeed)

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    jbow
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/13 12:02:05 (permalink)
    Mesh
    It's happened to me maybe once or twice in my life, but I never took any notice of it. Once I woke up (while the arm was asleep), I just changed positions and all was well.

My wife however complains that her bottom end is always falling asleep, and I told her yes dear.......I heard it snoring.    

(I keeeed...I keeed.....I keeed)

LOL...

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    jbow
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/13 12:03:27 (permalink)
    Thanks... I feel better knowing it isn't just me. I just hope it doesn't hit me in the head again! Zombie Arm!

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    Beepster
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/14 13:22:50 (permalink)
    This has happened to me all the time and it is indeed quite dangerous. I am really long, lanky and have lowish blood pressure. Wake up and the whole arm is completely dead numb. I can flop it around which I do furiously until the sensation returns (gets the blood flowing back into it) and it is tingly to the point of painful as that happens.

It used to happen a lot more when I was drinking heavily (so I would not wake up as easily as I do now). I never thought much of it back then but a guy my buddy knew had his entire arm suffer extreme nerve damage to the point it was essentially paralyzed. The guy supposedly wasn't a drunk or an addict or anything. Just slept weird and woke up with a dead arm. Terrifying prospect for a guitar player.

That is kind of what happened to Dave Mustaine. I don't know the full story but supposedly he was sitting in a chair in some weird way that it cut off the circulation to his arm (not sure if he nodded off or what but IDK how you wouldn't notice something like that). It cause severe nerve damage and he had to have surgeries and tons of rehab to be able to play again. Not sure if this was during one of his relapses or if he was sober... but I'm inclined to think if the claim is he was sober he is lying (junkies tend to do that).

Anyhoo... when I sleep I have pillows that I bear hug throughout the night (which helps keep my spine aligned) that seems to minimize the eventuality if waking up with dead arm. Probably because instead of my skeleton crushing the arteries it's a pillow so at least some blood can get through. Have to keep a pillow between my legs too otherwise a ton of other nastiness happens.

Wrapping my arms around another human while I sleep? Fuggedaboutit.
    bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/14 13:44:45 (permalink)
    That's happened to me a couple of times. My fingers fall asleep sometimes. It's hard to play when that happens

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

Beepster
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/14 14:01:42 (permalink)
    bayoubill
    That's happened to me a couple of times. My fingers fall asleep sometimes. It's hard to play when that happens

Do your extremeties (fingers/toes/hands/feet) get cold/numb often/easily? That's a sign of circulation issues.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/15 07:06:27 (permalink)
    It's more common to have compressed a nerve which causes things like "dead leg", than to have cut off your circulation.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/15 13:06:45 (permalink)
    mudgel
    It's more common to have compressed a nerve which causes things like "dead leg", than to have cut off your circulation.

I know some people who must get a compressed nerve in the head... 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    UbiquitousBubba
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/15 13:51:36 (permalink)
    Relatives always told me that I got on their last nerve. 
    craigb
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/15 14:17:11 (permalink)
    UbiquitousBubba

This is why I avoid having any. 

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/15 14:40:39 (permalink)
    craigb
    UbiquitousBubba

Nerves or relatives?

Mekashi Futo

craigb
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/15 15:45:50 (permalink)
    Karyn
    craigb
    UbiquitousBubba

Nerves or relatives?

Yes.

bitman
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4105
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/15 20:17:05 (permalink)
    Stop hitting yourself.... why are you hitting yourself?
    jbow
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/16 13:09:11 (permalink)
    bitman
    Stop hitting yourself.... why are you hitting yourself?

It wasn't me... it was very alien. It wasn't a nerve either. It was weird feeling the blood rushing in to the top of my arm. I'm glad nothing seems damaged. I guess not sleeping is better than sleeping too deeply.
    The "golden years"... whatever.

J

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    tbosco
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 903
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/21 06:46:43 (permalink)
    Something like that happens to me all the time since I sleep with my arms under my pillow.  Sometimes I can't get my arm to move correctly.  Been this way for years, and it IS scary sometimes.

I don't think it has affected me in any ssknmsssssssjjt06-b,'kl'j;tttha3%%7 v;;;fmxnhwktlllllvffffffffffffk

Cheers!

Tony

SONAR Platinum
    JNCS Computer with Asus X99 Motherboard (i7)
    Win10 Pro 64bit, 32GB RAM
    Motif XF7, Komplete 11, Ozone 7, 
    Komplete Kontrol 88 keys,
    Softube Console 1,
    PreSonus Faderport 8,
    Focusrite ISA 430 Mk 2 Mic Pre,
    Yamaha HS8s and Sub
    Drawmer 3.1 Monitor Controller
    Fractal Axe FX 2 XL Guitar Processor
    Lots-o-Guitars
    jbow
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/24 21:46:04 (permalink)
    tbosco
    Something like that happens to me all the time since I sleep with my arms under my pillow.  Sometimes I can't get my arm to move correctly.  Been this way for years, and it IS scary sometimes.

I don't think it has affected me in any ssknmsssssssjjt06-b,'kl'j;tttha3%%7 v;;;fmxnhwktlllllvffffffffffffk

Yeah, I am norbal too.

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    Bert Guy
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1042
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/28 02:50:19 (permalink)

I would consider a diagnosis of "Saturday Night Palsy" (not to be confused with Saturday Night Fever):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_neuropathy

Cheers,

Bert

Silence is so accurate

http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=587673

jbow
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/29 13:39:59 (permalink)
    Perhaps I should consider having my arm amputated, just to be safe? You can't be too careful roight?

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re: My whole right arm went to sleep, while I was sleeping... at hit me in the head. 2015/04/29 15:10:34 (permalink)
    Then how would you stop it hitting you?  Best keep it connected where you at least know what it's supposed to be doing..

Mekashi Futo

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1