Helpful ReplyUsing Patches and MIDI settings in Preferences

Author
audiomyth
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 132
2015/04/20 12:01:23 (permalink)

Using Patches and MIDI settings in Preferences

Hello.........

Can anyone help me with using patches and 'instruments in MIDI settings in Edit/Preferences' in X1 LE and if these features can be used with a midi controller keyboard?

Firstly, I saw a lot many patches in the patch browser and by their names these patches seems to be virtual instruments. Can these patches be used as virtual instruments and played via a midi controller keyboard? Hoping it does, I selected a patch from the patch browser in the MIDI track. Although the sound meter would show a jump when I hit the keys but no sound is generated.

One anomaly I saw that in the patch browser - the bank column for each patch shows '-none-'. Could this be the reason why the patches in the midi track would not work? Or are there any changes required in the MIDI settings in Preferences?

Secondly,  when I got into Edit-Pref-Midi-Instruments-Define,I saw a family tree of what appears to be instruments. Again, can we use these with a midi controller keyboard? I selected my midi controller (suffixed Keyboard Out) in OUTPUT/CHANNEL and randomly selected GENERAL PATCHES 128 in INSTRUMENTS. But it did not work.

Regards,
Kane
post edited by audiomyth - 2015/04/20 13:14:17
brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: Using Patches and MIDI settings in Preferences 2015/04/20 12:41:45 (permalink)
Those are Instrument Definitions that are intended to be used when you own the relevant hardware instrument so that its banks and patches can be selected from a MIDI track driving that external hardware synth. They are of no value if you don't own the hardware.

See Insert > Soft Synth to get a list of available software synths bundled with SONAR that you can use.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
audiomyth
Re: Using Patches and MIDI settings in Preferences 2015/04/20 13:08:06 (permalink)
Can I use those patches on A49 midi keyboard controller? And if this midi controller is not compatible, why the sound meter of the midi track jumps when I hit the keys?
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: Using Patches and MIDI settings in Preferences 2015/04/20 15:40:00 (permalink)
MIDI and Simple Instrument tracks have a MIDI meter that shows the velocity of events been sent/echoed from your controller; it's not audio. 

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Using Patches and MIDI settings in Preferences 2015/04/20 20:10:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby audiomyth 2015/04/21 01:15:48
It's pretty normal when we first start using a DAW to have trouble in getting the MIDI working. If you think Sonar is frustrating, try Cubase! 

As said, midi is data and  you won't hear any sound unless you choose a sound generating device to play the sound. Your Keyboard has no sounds so you need it to drive a playback device.  The options for midi sound playback are:

1-VST instruments or Soft(ware) Synths. These are what 99% of us use to make our music backing tracks. To use these you need to "insert" the synth and point the midi tracks output at it. 
2- Hardware Synths, Digital Pianos and Drum Machines. To use these you need the midi data to pass through Sonar and send it back out of a physical MIDI port. ( this is also USB now on new equipment) 
3- MS Wavetable soft synth. This is the worst choice so don't bother. It's OK for auditioning downloaded files in Media Player. 

Your version of Sonar comes with a few Soft synths. 
  • Premium Cakewalk instruments including Studio Instruments Drums, Cakewalk Sound Center and Square I

I have X1 LE and it has very little to work with in the way of  soft synths. The quality goes up as you upgrade through the better versions of Sonar. The better VST's use sample based libraries.  Example, your drum synth is a bottom of the line PCM (?) based player. In better versions of Sonar you get very good drums with Session drummer or Addictive Drums which are sample based.  ( real drums) 
I never actually used LE, I just used it to upgrade to x3 Studio, then Professional which was only $99. I too got it with my A 49 Keyboard.
The A 49 is a very solid controller and is a perfect companion to any DAW. 
Your almost there, just study up on using soft synths and seriously consider upgrading to at least Artist.  

Another option is you can log on to the KVR website and download a few freebies to try. 
post edited by Cactus Music - 2015/04/20 20:19:33

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

audiomyth
Re: Using Patches and MIDI settings in Preferences 2015/04/21 07:28:20 (permalink)
A midi track and a soft synth track? I think I am having a global confusion about these two.

I know what midi is but what is this midi track?

Is it anyway related to a soft synth track because the sound meter of the midi track would also jump when I play the keys of the midi controller keyboard on a soft synth track and since I use a 'midi controller keyboard' should it not be just the 'midi track'? Why the soft synth track then?

And if I can play/record the soft synth instruments of CSC via a midi controller keyboard in the inserted soft synth track, then what is the use of the midi track in the project? I never used it and it is always redundant in every project of mine. Sometimes I even delete it before exporting.

Thirdly, I want to know if I can use the instruments shown in the patch browser of a midi track with an A49 controller? I am reiterating myself because I have used the same patches in another demo daw as virtual instruments with an A49 controller. Then why not in X1?
post edited by audiomyth - 2015/04/21 07:34:45
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Using Patches and MIDI settings in Preferences 2015/04/21 10:55:20 (permalink)
You can put your midi data in a midi track which is what I have always done. or you can use the soft synths Simple instrument track which is an option with many issues for some. When you insert the soft synth, choose 1st synth output or all outputs and not the "use simple instrument tracks." 

Those patches are what change a GM synth, I don't think LE comes with TTs-1. So you need to upgrade or use what you have in the supplied synths via the GUI. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Using Patches and MIDI settings in Preferences 2015/04/21 12:00:10 (permalink)
MIDI is not audio. MIDI is a set of instructions to tell a synthesiser what to do.

The instrument definitions in Sonar are not synthesisers. They are MIDI instructions that can tell a hardware synthesiser what to do. Each is specific to a particular synthesiser. If you do not have that synthesiser connected to Sonar they won't make any sound because MIDI is not sound, it is instructions.

To use a software synthsiser in Sonar (or any other DAW) you need three things. A software synthesiser such as TTS1 or any other that comes with Sonar or you have obtained elsewhere. A MIDI track which contains the MIDI instructions telling the synthesiser what to do and an audio track which has the synthesiser plugin in its effects bin and is the track that handles the audio output from the synthesiser. Sonar can combine these two tracks into a single "instrument track" but most people seem to prefer using seperate MIDI and audio tracks.

The MIDI track has its input set to the MIDI controller and output set to the synth.

When you play a note on a controller connected to a MIDI track the track meter will show activity, as it will when you play back the track. However that is not an audio meter, it is a meter that shows the velocity of the MIDI notes. It has nothing to do with sound at all.

I suggest you work through the tutorials in Sonar's help menu as they will take you through the basics of ising MIDI, audio and plugins.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1