Rapture with EWI/Wind Controller?

Author
Maddcow
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2015/04/23 21:25:44 (permalink)

Rapture with EWI/Wind Controller?

Hi all.  I'm a wind controller player (Yamaha WX5 and AKAI EWI4000S) and am always on the look-out for potential new synths.  I see that Rapture Pro will be released soon and am wondering if anyone knows how programmable it will be in terms of breath control?  And depending on the answer to this, whether it'll be possible to configure the response curve to breath control?  i.e. if CC02 can be assigned to multiple parameters simultaneously, and whether it's possible to draw/drag/otherwise configure the response curve for how CC02 will affect the assigned parameters.

Simple Explanation: to use Rapture Pro with wind controller, I'll need to assign CC02 to a number of different parameters depending on the patch (e.g. frequency cutoff, gain on multiple parameters, perhaps volume and velocity etc).  It'd also be great to have the ability to adjust the response curve for how CC02 will affect those parameters i.e. a linear curve, flat, S, custom curve etc.

Does anyone know if Rapture Pro will be able to do what I'm asking?  And if its system resource usage will be conservative enough for live performance?  I have a mid-2014 MacBook Pro running OSX 10.10.x, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, MOTU Ultralite Mk3 and will be using Apple MainStage as my host.

Cheers
Gary

4 Replies Related Threads

chad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 468
    Re: Rapture with EWI/Wind Controller? 2015/04/24 09:47:58 (permalink)
    Maddcow
    Hi all.  I'm a wind controller player (Yamaha WX5 and AKAI EWI4000S) and am always on the look-out for potential new synths.  I see that Rapture Pro will be released soon and am wondering if anyone knows how programmable it will be in terms of breath control?

You can MIDI Learn any parameter by right clicking and assign it to Breath Control.  You can also assign Breath Control as a Source within the Modulation Matrix.

Maddcow
     And depending on the answer to this, whether it'll be possible to configure the response curve to breath control?  i.e. if CC02 can be assigned to multiple parameters simultaneously, and whether it's possible to draw/drag/otherwise configure the response curve for how CC02 will affect the assigned parameters.

Simple Explanation: to use Rapture Pro with wind controller, I'll need to assign CC02 to a number of different parameters depending on the patch (e.g. frequency cutoff, gain on multiple parameters, perhaps volume and velocity etc).  It'd also be great to have the ability to adjust the response curve for how CC02 will affect those parameters i.e. a linear curve, flat, S, custom curve etc.

With MIDI Learn you can set Min/Max values for each parameter individually to set a desired range of control.  You can also invert the control of the parameter. 

Also within the Modulation Matrix you can set depths for each parameter individually.  There is a smooth function, but no scaling.  If you want specific scaling I'd try and do that before you send it to the plug-in, does Mainstage offer anything like this? (it's been a while since I've used Mainstage for anything advanced). 

And if its system resource usage will be conservative enough for live performance?  I have a mid-2014 MacBook Pro running OSX 10.10.x, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, MOTU Ultralite Mk3 and will be using Apple MainStage as my host.

I have almost a similar system maybe a few years earlier MBP and Rapture Pro runs great.  Shouldn't be an issue at all for that amount of power and RAM. 
    Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: Rapture with EWI/Wind Controller? 2015/05/13 23:31:24 (permalink)
    Just stumbled on this from a google search. OP didn't come back but in case he does.

I've some nice responsive results from using the Modulation Matrix with my WX5. I prefer is to midi learn, which I find cumbersome. One issue I often have to overcome is the pitchbend wheel response, being we keep it in our mouths. One I found out how to do this, I was chuffed.
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/Rapture-Pro-Turning-off-and-changing-Pitch-Bend-Range-solved-m3216425.aspx
    Being able to set it to zero, means we can use the pitch bend to control something else. Midi learn is ok, but the Matrix for me opens ups far greater control and subtle expression. Being able to set up say 4 entries for Breath Contoller, have them all adjacent to each other, assigning one to Filter, another to resonance, another to Volume, Phase etc, means small adjustments can be made to eachso the breath controller has a small effect on all, but accumulative overall for greater tonal movement. Being that all the elements are veiwed in the mod Matrix, you could say have 3 elements with the parameters all in the same view. So you may have an element that falls away the harder you blow as the other 2 become more prominent. 

It's a good set up for Wind Controllers.

Maddcow
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Rapture with EWI/Wind Controller? 2015/05/16 03:28:37 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for the replies, guys. It's good to know that at least one other WX5 player is getting results with Rapture 2. I've been looking at both Omnisphere 2 and Rapture 2 recently and whilst O2 would probably be my preferred synth, the price of R2 is more up my alley.

Given that I'm primarily looking at great leads and some dense pads (because wind controllers are monophonic instruments), do you guys feel that Rapture 2 features a huge variety of both?
    Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: Rapture with EWI/Wind Controller? 2015/05/16 08:08:19 (permalink)
    It's capable of them I believe, but I've only installed a fraction of the library, so I couldn't say what exists

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1