Author
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
2015/04/21 11:21:45 (permalink)

"The Lazeria Jam"

"The Lazeria Jam"
https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/the-lazeria-jam

the lazeria studio was a funky place....
around 1981, the band i was in at the time, rented it for 2 weeks, as a rehearsal space for whatever the going rate for that was then.
it was fun, because we had carte blanche to the whole studio all day and night for 2 weeks.
the engineer, used us as guinea pigs while we rehearsed, he'd set up all kinds of mic arrangements and screw around with stuff in the control room, which was big enough for about 3 guys to sit/stand in, and that was it.
it really was 'a control room'….. with the requisite Lava Lamp.
LOL
i remember some really big JBL monitors, don't have a clue what they were.
basically, Lazeria was a long rectangular shaped wide open concrete block building, out in the middle of nowhere....
low ceiling, i guess about 10'.....
"shag rug" everywhere....very dead room…..sounded like you could be recording steely dan records in there.
but the cool thing, was it was wired real smart.....
with snakes strategically placed, separate headphone mixers, lots of booms and lots of gobos...
all the gobos had a carpet surface on one side, wood paneling on the other..and they were on rollers, they were easy to move and position. they were beefy, probably a foot wide. i'm guessing, 6' wide by over my head, maybe 7-8 feet tall.
you could build any size isolation area you wanted....so it was super flexible. You could make it a very reflective space, by using the wood panel sides.
the board this jam was recorded thru was a 15 series teac, into a 85-16 16 channel 1" open reel tape deck...i thought it had a marvelous sound, the playback sounded so clean and sweet.
the guys that ran the studio, had built a bunch of unique one-off mics, basically they gutted different mics of their capsules and transformers, built these big plexiglass stretched-out-hexagonal shapes, and floated the mic capsules with wire, just above the surface of the plexi, using the plexi to 'capture' the sound waves.
my guitar, and the drums, were all captured with one of these weirdo homemade microphones.
later, the engineer dubbed us a cassette of the jam.
don't know whatever happened with the reel to reel tape, probably got re-used.....

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

20 Replies Related Threads

synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/21 12:08:29 (permalink)
    LOL... Mad! And Funky too 

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    batsbrew
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/21 18:18:49 (permalink)
    hi synkotron,
    glad you checked this old gem out...

i had a blast playing with these guys, for several years of full time road work......

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/21 19:20:09 (permalink)
    Lots of fun!  I would love to have seen that studio.  It seems like nothing you do ever sounds dated, and that's something.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/22 09:14:06 (permalink)
    Great jam.  Loved the bass tone and player!  You all stand out great as well. I remember jammin' for most my early life.  Good to hear this.

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/22 18:56:48 (permalink)
    Is that this Quintin Berry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VffYU2cNKq4

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    batsbrew
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/22 19:56:24 (permalink)
    dcumpian
    Is that this Quintin Berry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VffYU2cNKq4

Regards,
    Dan

yes, it is.
    LOL

here we are, back in about 1981....

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/23 18:06:48 (permalink)
    Lynn
    Lots of fun! I would love to have seen that studio. It seems like nothing you do ever sounds dated, and that's something.

Lynn,
    you know, we were just kids, really..... and any building that had ANY sound gear in it, was impressive to us!!
    LOL,
    just a cinderblock building mostly,
    but being out of the city a ways, probably better that it did not look like anything special.
    but one thing you say, rings true,
    and that is about sounding dated......
    and i guess, as long as you have a pure sound (natural room vibe, clean recording) and use a basic good balanced sound source,
    and don't use long huge gated reverbs on your snare drums................!!
    HEHEH

Rimshot
    Great jam. Loved the bass tone and player! You all stand out great as well. I remember jammin' for most my early life. Good to hear this.

the bass player, quintin, use a really nice Alembic on that recording (see the old photo above)...
    it had a special cable connection, looked like an XLR built right into the bass, and it went thru a special preamp just for that bass, then he went direct into the board.
    you could cop ANY tone you wanted from that bass.
    but it excelled in funk slap style, which quintin was/is really good at.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

pentimentosound
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1535
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/23 18:39:45 (permalink)
    Woo Hooo! Man, both the track of the jam and the Ditto looper were fun! LOL
    What guitar are you playing in the pic?
    Being 66, I started out in '63 playing everything on the radio at gigs in Chicago, till the hippie thing hit, then it was jam bands for a long time! LOL     I can't imagine hearing any of that stuff now. I certainly don't have any and an old room-mate sent an 8 mm film of a show at the U of I, Chicago ca '69, but no sound. Oh well, it was fun to see my '68 LP Custom and Twin's with JBLs.
    We rented a loft space along the river (the one Mayor Daley dumped green stuff in every St Patty's)and that was very handy, though we could only play there from 6pm till 7:30am (which we did!). After that we bought a summer camp in South Haven MI with a bunch of artists and professor types. That was very cool and extremely loose.
    Michael

pentimentosound
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/23 19:19:54 (permalink)
    So, I posted the above and went to read a review of an interface, that led to a review of a Great River ME-1NV, which led to this one by you, Rob! I laughed out loud and thought "you're everywhere!". LOL
    http://www.prostudioreviews.com/line6-am4.htm

Michael
    batsbrew
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/24 13:05:11 (permalink)
    pentimentosound
    Woo Hooo! Man, both the track of the jam and the Ditto looper were fun! LOL
    What guitar are you playing in the pic?
    Being 66, I started out in '63 playing everything on the radio at gigs in Chicago, till the hippie thing hit, then it was jam bands for a long time! LOL     I can't imagine hearing any of that stuff now. I certainly don't have any and an old room-mate sent an 8 mm film of a show at the U of I, Chicago ca '69, but no sound. Oh well, it was fun to see my '68 LP Custom and Twin's with JBLs.
    We rented a loft space along the river (the one Mayor Daley dumped green stuff in every St Patty's)and that was very handy, though we could only play there from 6pm till 7:30am (which we did!). After that we bought a summer camp in South Haven MI with a bunch of artists and professor types. That was very cool and extremely loose.
    Michael

thanks micheal!

but you lost me on the ditto looper.........?

that pic, shows me playing a 1979 Ibanez Artist 2619.
    it had the typical les paul-style tone/volume wiring scheme,
    but added a phase switch on the bridge pickup.
    added a LOT of tonal options.

i used that same guitar in the "Lazeria Jam" clip.

it's really cool,
    to have a place that you could go into at any time,
    and do whatever you wanted, playing wise (and other, wise.) 
    LOL

this jam kind of reflects that attitude and situation.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/24 15:28:58 (permalink)
    Sorry Bat, the ditto looper was from the youtube video I posted of Quintin Berry...

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    batsbrew
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/24 15:46:13 (permalink)
    OH, I GOTHCA
    that's cool

quintin is really good at putting stuff like that together,
    he's got a thousand good ideas

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

pentimentosound
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/24 17:06:59 (permalink)
    Yeah, him too. Birds of a feather, eh?  It would be nice to have a space like that now!

Michael
    batsbrew
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/24 18:04:35 (permalink)
    pentimentosound
    So, I posted the above and went to read a review of an interface, that led to a review of a Great River ME-1NV, which led to this one by you, Rob! I laughed out loud and thought "you're everywhere!". LOL
    http://www.prostudioreviews.com/line6-am4.htm

Michael

that's funny!
    i had forgotten that i wrote that review!

i DID use that device for quite some time.....
    it had a lot of character, going into a good tube amp already set for some grit.
    much better/authentic sound than any of those pods

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

pentimentosound
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/24 21:00:41 (permalink)
    I was glad to find a review of it and even better that you wrote it! .., as I'd never seen/heard of that one. I had the DL4 and MM4, green echo and blue modulation modelers, and a POD2, though I only used that in my studio, along with a Yam DigiStomp, Classic ToneBone and a couple Rolands (amp farm?). All of them did some things well, and I used them on "no stage space" gigs right into the PA, but I haven't explored any of the new ones, like the HD500X, yet. All my pedals and amps went away (long story Chapt 7), so now I only have a few and am looking again. I did buy a Fender Mustang Floor, but just to "hold me" while I find the new "pile". LOL
    There are an amazing selection of them now!
    Michael
    batsbrew
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/24 22:23:36 (permalink)
    honestly,
    at this point in my history of playing for fun and for a living,
    i'd probably invest in a KEMPER  profiling amp, and a decent rig for live volume monitoring,
    and call it done, if it were me, starting over.

i'm a tube purist, and have stuck with a really high quality tube amp for many many years now,
    but after writing that review,
    i realized that for working guitarists,
    it was a brilliant piece of work,

and now, years later,
    the Kemper is that equivalent for 'purists' of certain tones.

the Axe 11 is another top shelf project.

but for what it's worth,
    i will sell my '82 boogie soon.

i will either trade out for a modern lunch box version of what i've had for so long (Mark 5:25), 
    or build a custom Trainwreck clone, at about 5-10 watts max,
    and get a Fender champ.

those two would handle everything i want to do for studio guitar work.

with modern direct boxes , it would be easy to slave those two out to a set of stereo powered monitors for stage work.

that's kinda where my head is at now.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/24 22:32:39 (permalink)
    you gotta remember,
    this was a live jam,
    with the engineer mixing in real time,
    providing FX in the mix and printing in live time,
    he was part of the jam,

and un rehearsed, just a moment in time.

so, the bass was the thing we were all following,
    the truth of the moment was actually captured in the mix.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

tbosco
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 903
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/25 06:21:38 (permalink)
    Loved it!  Cool stereo bass part.  I'm trying to remember who you guys sound like...someone on the Jam station on XM Satellite radio.....  Great guitar tones and lines.
    Kudos to your mix engineer too!

Cheers!

Tony

SONAR Platinum
    JNCS Computer with Asus X99 Motherboard (i7)
    Win10 Pro 64bit, 32GB RAM
    Motif XF7, Komplete 11, Ozone 7, 
    Komplete Kontrol 88 keys,
    Softube Console 1,
    PreSonus Faderport 8,
    Focusrite ISA 430 Mk 2 Mic Pre,
    Yamaha HS8s and Sub
    Drawmer 3.1 Monitor Controller
    Fractal Axe FX 2 XL Guitar Processor
    Lots-o-Guitars
    pentimentosound
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/25 08:49:43 (permalink)
    I've retired from full time gigging, so my Princeton Reverb will be getting a Vox AC10 and probably an Orange Terror (MT?)for studio fun. A Champ clone/kit would be fun, too. I had a 1960 tweed one, '59 Bassman and '60 Concert, plus lots of Fenders over the past 5 decades, but never a Vox, nor Marshall. I would like to correct that!
        I can see the benefit/value of the Kemper and once I've got my whole studio/instruments "caught up", I might consider that, but it's not a priority.
    Michael
    I got to borrow a MB .22 for a ski season in Vail CO. It occurs to me, that I've owned Silvertone (1482), Carvin, Music Man(s), Roland and Peavey amps, too, but mostly it was Fender.
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: "The Lazeria Jam" 2015/04/30 22:07:21 (permalink)
    Hey Bats!  Cool sounding jam.  It kind of has the feel of the time.  I forgot about using the Ping-Pong panning as an effect until I heard this. 
    Great playing and greats sounds.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1