Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
2015/04/24 19:49:25 (permalink)

Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good

https://youtu.be/H_wUpw_ZWVc

I made a video of me tweaking some values. I still don't like it very much. I want to make it sound like Flea from the Chili Peppers.

I'm not succeeded very well. The song has to still be listenable. I bounced every song from the concert and got back the feedback that the bass isn't 'loud enough/clear enough'.

So I'm back at it again. I don't want to be defeated or just give up. I don't want to come back to the listen in a few years and hate the mix.

This tune has some feedback in it, but it's followed by a concert full of great jams. I just want them to rock.

Anyone who listens will get a free golden frimbalo that gets you one plindy at the sokluk house. :-)

Thanks in advance.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/24 20:01:13 (permalink)
Where do I apply for my golden frimbalo?

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/24 22:46:14 (permalink)
good bass, dialed in.

good technique (most important element)

good capture method (it's all over the map)

good understanding of mix elements, while mixing.

but above all else,
attitude.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/25 00:46:21 (permalink)
FWIW, That bass track doesn't sound bad to me...
It sounds like a good DI recording.  Much more jazzy than harder funk/rock...
Sounds like what you're looking for is an "amped up" more aggressive tone.

Do you have access to a nice tube bass amp/cab?
If so, I'd re-amp the track.
An Ampeg tube head playing thru a nice cab will give you that angry aggressive tone.
A little "grind/dirt" not only adds character... but can also add articulation in the upper mids.

If you don't have access to a nice bass amp, do you have access to a Kemper Profiling Amp?
If so, I've got a bunch of profiles I've created using an Ampeg VB4 playing thru a SVT-410 HLF (mic'd 101 different ways).  Makes recording electric bass a breeze.  The profiles are small... I could upload them for you to download.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
gswitz
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/25 08:54:54 (permalink)
Karyn
Where do I apply for my golden frimbalo?

My supply is on Pre-Order; I'll have to get back to you. Thanks for listening!!

BatsBrew
good bass, dialed in.
but above all else,
attitude.

Thanks! I really appreciate that!

The Famous Jim R!!
FWIW, That bass track doesn't sound bad to me...
It sounds like a good DI recording.  Much more jazzy than harder funk/rock...
Sounds like what you're looking for is an "amped up" more aggressive tone.

Thanks for taking time to listen, Jim!! I really appreciate it, and you'll be getting your frimbalo too as soon as my ship comes in. 

This band has been together since 1987 (and I've known them since then). The bassist plays in public several times a month with any number of bands. The music scene is incestuous when it comes to good local talent. Everybody doing it with everybody.  I'm a little nervous to try to tune his sound without him in the room. He lives 1.5 hours or so from me, so it's possible he might make the trip. I'll reach out to him and see what he says. I had 2 mics a bit distant from the stage and off-center that got a tone of bass, and they are mixed in for ambient tone and crowd noise.

I don't have any gear for re-amping. The best I could do would be run it through TH2 (full version).

Here's a different tune where I've mixed up the bass a little...
This is my first pass where the band felt the bass was not so good...
http://stabilitynetwork.blob.core.windows.net/g-tunes/20140816_CowFest2_02_DontLetItBringYouDown_LessBass.mp3
This is my second pass after doing some minor changes - before trying TH2...
http://stabilitynetwork.blob.core.windows.net/g-tunes/20140816_CowFest2_02_DontLetItBringYouDown.mp3
This is a third pass after adding TH2 and adjusting the vocal verb to shorten it. I also changed the gated verb on the snare since the rim shots were creating a weird effect... I used the TH2 Brunetti Amp with 'Edge' on and the custom 4x12 cab.
http://stabilitynetwork.blob.core.windows.net/g-tunes/20140816_CowFest2_02_DontLetItBringYouDown_TH2.mp3

BTW, all these tracks are adjusted to -14 on RME's EBU Meter, so average volume should be comparable. 

post edited by gswitz - 2015/04/25 10:00:34

I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/25 10:40:39 (permalink)
I agree with Jim, that bass doesn't sound bad to me either. I didn't realize until I watched the video that you had a good capture of the bass track only.

A few things you can play with from here (mostly EQ ideas):
  1. It "seems" you want a more pronounced attack on the strings, so backing off attack time on the compression (was hard to tell all that is going on there) will let more of each string attack through.
  2. The bass raw will cover a couple octaves, so using an audio microscope (and even HPF/LPF with the resonant peak jacked up like a synth resonance knob) sweep through that track to get the tone you are seeking. Pay particular attention to the attack on each string. Once you find the sweet spots, back down to a reasonable level and go from there.
  3. Re-amping with TH2 is perfectly fine to do, but I would not get carried away with FX chains. Keep it simple and only add FX that contribute to what you want to add (i.e. don't "re-muddy" the track getting heavy-handed with them).
That track is captured pretty nicely, so you have a lot of leeway to play with there.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
gswitz
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/25 11:20:50 (permalink)
Thanks, Mettelus!

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/25 11:20:58 (permalink)
I agree with the above posters that the bass doesn't sound bad at all. It just needs to be dirtied up a bit with some harmonic distortion (Cosmos can do that, but a good bass amp sim will do it better), or boost the harmonics that are already there. Making bass guitar cut through the mix has very little to do with the "bass" frequencies and much more to do with harmonics.

Since you're using MSpectralDynamics, on bass you might do better with a custom threshold than messing with the slope. What you can do with a custom threshold is raise the threshold in the harmonic region - I'd start around 900-1000 Hz.

Although I am a huge fan of MSpectralDynamics, for this particular application I'd be more likely to reach for a dynamic equalizer such as MDynamicEQ. I'd apply expansion to the harmonic range, probably starting with filters at around 400 and 900 Hz with little or no static gain but a large dynamic gain.

Beyond spectral enhancement, you're already on the right track using compression to give it a pluckier attack. You might want to try a more aggressive compressor such as the free Rough Rider from Audio Damage, a plugin that I happen to be enamored with at the moment. And as much as I hate to suggest a Waves solution, the multi-band version of Trans-X could be just the ticket here.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
gswitz
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/25 20:14:51 (permalink)
Bit,
MSpectralDynamics is on the master. The bass track only uses MDynamicEQ side chained to the kick to suppress when the kick drum hits.

The slope I was demonstrating is on the master bus.

The compression on the bass track was mixed in low - like 40% or so just as boost. 

I added another MDynamicEQ and boosted around where you suggested to positive effect, I think...
http://stabilitynetwork.blob.core.windows.net/g-tunes/20140816_CowFest2_02_DontLetItBringYouDown_DEQ.mp3

Thanks for the recommendation.

stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/27 01:11:50 (permalink)
Late to the party... I liked the way the bass sounded in the initial mix. Contrary to "best practice" I would try boosting the top end of the bass track a little bit to accentuate the string attack.

but that is probably me projecting my preference onto your project.
gswitz
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/27 08:23:21 (permalink)
I like the original too. That's why I mixed it that way. :-)

I'm trying to accommodate my friends. And maybe learn how to get it sounding better. With any mix, depending on the stereo or headphones you may want to apply some eq. The question is, which are you mixing for. Ear buds? I also think people in general are applying EQ less often.

Maybe loading up the bass more is a good idea. As long as I can listen in my car without using EQ to cut the bass, I will be happy.
post edited by gswitz - 2015/04/27 08:33:09

batsbrew
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/27 11:42:49 (permalink)
always try to get your sound,
without any processing, 
first.

outside of the box.

this is the 'purist' way.

do not apply 'mix tricks' to dial in your sound.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

gswitz
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/27 12:34:44 (permalink)
@bats brew
I agree. For me, getting a good bass sounds is elusive in part because what I feel is good bass others feel is light. So I try to get it to be more audible without ruining the mix.

One of the listening environments it must sound good is my car. It's a controlled environment where I listen to tons of music.

I rarely use ear buds.

With the bass in the louder range, k12 makes more sense.it pushes down all other frequencies as I keep average loudness uniform.
post edited by gswitz - 2015/04/27 13:25:08

bitflipper
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/27 21:47:29 (permalink)
Hey Geoff, ever measure your car's acoustics? I did (my car, not yours), and it was an eye-opener.

My Stuff
mettelus
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/27 22:15:55 (permalink)
Okay... I'll bite (nice teaser, BTW)... what did you find eye-opening?

I have always been under the impression that a modern car cockpit is usually a good "test bed" for things (especially since it is one of the most common environments for listening to music). Convertibles are obviously not included in this (nor cars with bad sound isolation from the environment in general).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
gswitz
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/27 22:34:49 (permalink)
I did a test - in the garage tho - where I played pink noise and recorded the result with a mic in the center of the car.

Me in the car changes things a bit, but it's actually pretty fair. Not flat of course, especially as you get higher up the ranges. But it's not bad. Maybe I can find it and post the result. Or just do another.

gswitz
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/27 22:50:39 (permalink)
Bit ~ you think 1 figure 8 right between the two front seats makes sense for capturing the car's sound, or put it where my head goes?

My car is a Honda Accord sporty 2 Door with the package for sunroof and nice stereo. It's stock tho. A stereo that Honda sells in it's package. 2005. I got it second hand.
post edited by gswitz - 2015/04/27 22:59:08

bitflipper
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/28 09:50:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2015/04/29 19:45:11
When I did it, I initially made a mono recording with an omnidirectional microphone placed where my head would be when I'm sitting in the driver's seat. I used a boom stand stuck through the window, which was rolled up as far as possible and still accommodate the boom. I played back a CD that I'd made for the purpose that contained first white noise and then a series of 2-second sine waves of incremental frequency from 40 Hz to 500 Hz.

Realizing that I was taking a significant acoustical variable out of the equation, namely my own body, I later repeated the test using a borrowed portable recorder that I could hold at ear level while I sat in the car. As expected, I absorbed a lot of upper mids and high frequencies, but even my 200+ lb. mass had almost no effect on low frequencies.

What I concluded from those experiments was that a car's interior is about the worst possible acoustical space for music. Which paradoxically makes it a good test for mixes, even if it's not a reliable reference: if it sounds good in the car, then it's likely (but not a given) to also translate well to better acoustical environments.

You just don't want to make changes to your music specifically to suit the car's uneven response, because that's a rat-hole you'll never climb out from.

A great deal of attention is given to acoustics by automotive engineers, but isolation is the priority, not music. Isolation means external sound is kept out for a quiet ride, but it also means sound is trapped within the cabin, assuring extreme resonance issues and drastically uneven frequency response.

Speaker placement is all about making the speakers invisible and unobtrusive. That leads to acoustical atrocities such as tweeters in the dashboard pointing up at the windshield, and woofers mounted in doors that are actually resonant chambers designed to give a satisfying "thump" when you close them. Not to mention subwoofers in the trunk that rely on conduction through the car's chassis to be heard.

None of this is conducive to a flat frequency response. Then you've usually got a second pair of speakers in the back with L/R reversed, guaranteeing that no one in the car hears a proper stereo image. One good result is that you'll know right away if your mix is not mono-compatible! 

And the problems don't end there. Because very low frequencies are physically impossible to support in a space smaller than a quarter of their wavelengths, they have to be artificially helped by EQ. Most factory-installed car stereos therefore have a built-in boost between 60 and 150 (!) Hz. There is also a built-in compressor, which fortunately many players allow you to switch off but are likely enabled by default. And don't forget those dreadful graphic equalizers, but of course WE are smart enough to not use them, right?

My Stuff
mettelus
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/29 14:36:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2015/04/29 19:30:29
I continue to get wrapped around the wheel with this paradox, since the most common listening environments are not ideal. For me this has always been the pursuit of (mentally) correlating my monitor environment to generic listening environments.

batsbrew
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/29 14:42:25 (permalink)
bottom line:

you need a good treated room, and good monitors,
to make mixes that have good translation.

all the rest, is just a clusterphuck 

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

gswitz
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/04/29 19:31:21 (permalink)
I can hear the music ok while I mix it. That isn't the issue for me.

When mixing for one stereo in one location, it's not too tricky to get a good sounding mix.

As Mettalus says, the issue is making a mix to be played anywhere someone feels like it. You want listeners to be able to hear the music clearly and enjoy it.

Bassist wants more bass.
Drummer wants more drumz.
Guitarists just want more. :-)

It's a tricky balance to get a good mix. I think because of the hard bass boost in my car, I under do the bass. I use my car as ceiling for bass levels. If I can't enjoy it in the car with a particular bass setting, then I will turn it down in the mix. I listen to lots of great pro recordings in my car and none of them sound unreasonably bassy on my car stereo.

Still, it may be that I should just let go some and mix into a zone where I'm just less comfortable.
It'll e x p a n d   m y   m i n d.

:-)

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/05/04 16:38:23 (permalink)
gswitz
I can hear the music ok while I mix it. That isn't the issue for me.

When mixing for one stereo in one location, it's not too tricky to get a good sounding mix.

As Mettalus says, the issue is making a mix to be played anywhere someone feels like it. You want listeners to be able to hear the music clearly and enjoy it.

Bassist wants more bass.
Drummer wants more drumz.
Guitarists just want more. :-)

It's a tricky balance to get a good mix. I think because of the hard bass boost in my car, I under do the bass. I use my car as ceiling for bass levels. If I can't enjoy it in the car with a particular bass setting, then I will turn it down in the mix. I listen to lots of great pro recordings in my car and none of them sound unreasonably bassy on my car stereo.

Still, it may be that I should just let go some and mix into a zone where I'm just less comfortable.
It'll e x p a n d   m y   m i n d.

:-)

Hi Geoff,

First off, I think you are a pretty good engineer getting good results.

Secondly, I feel (even though I too was once a victim of this) you are over-thinking things, over testing and probably over analyzing or comparing mixes to people who may have 30+ years under their belts and 2 million in gear/facilities. You're good brother....and you're putting out good quality no matter what you're using these days. :)

Thirdly, the part of your comment that I put in bold text is something you need to fix. You should never have to rely on a car to judge your bass control. Though this seems to work for you, it tells me there are things you need to fix with your monitors. It's good to be able to listen in your car and be happy, but we should never let that car value go further than it needs to be.

Get a nice sub if you don't have one, get ARC and let it flatten your monitors at the least, and see how you fair. Quite a few people will try and talk you out of a sub especially in a smaller room. Those near-fields claim to go down to a certain frequency, but let me tell you, bass will always be a tough one to judge unless you have something capable of giving you that low end in all the right places.

At the worst case, if a sub makes you mix bass light, you have too much of it in the mix. Lower the sub, you'll mix bass heavier. Too little sub, you'll mix bass heavy. It takes a little trial and error...but you should have it dialed in within 2-3 mixes.

You and I have talked in the past and you mentioned that you liked some of the mixes I've done....I use ARC and it works. Bats uses ARC....if you like his mixes, there's more incentive. Bapu uses ARC....quite a few have consistent mixes with it that sound really good. According to some of the data provided on the net, ARC is not supposed to work or make much of a difference. According to MY data...my ears/my end result....it's incredible, has made my mixes better, I get done faster and I never second guess anything.

If you have all of the above, there may be a possibility that you have to re-correct the room with ARC. I have a pdf I created that I can share that will tell you all the steps to take so you can check things over. You have to be meticulous or ARC may fail.

I just rebuilt my music room in my house. 12x12 room that I do quite a bit of work in when I'm not at the big studio down the shore. I was concerned about starting over. I had so much stuff in this room, it was crazy and looked like a little music store. But having all that stuff deadened the room quite a bit. Needless to say, I rebuilt it from the ground up. I ARC'd it and it failed.....checked my own notes and I was the one that failed. LOL! Re-ARC'd it and it's perfect now.

I have no bass traps, no ugly decor, use 3 different subs, 3 different monitor rigs, and what I mix here, sounds the way it should everywhere. I just bought a new Jeep and the bass is a little heavy in there...even on mixes that are not my own as well as the radio. So I brought the bass down 2 increments and it sounds the same as it does in my Vette and my Avalanche...which both have the same Bose system.

At the worst case, ARC corrects your monitors to a flat response. From there, you can treat your room if need be with other stuff. Now another thing to keep in mind, you are listening to material on your car speakers that is mastered. Most DIY guys mix more bass in their mixes than there needs to be. Or, they master and over-do it. A professional master done by someone who knows what they are doing gives you good bass...not rumbly bass.

Most guys don't know what good bass is to even know how or what to add. I'm totally serious when I say this. A mix done in a pro studio is not loaded with bass. It's actually pure and pretty neutral. The mastering adds the other stuff, and usually it's not extreme unless there are instructions to do so or a producer is looking for something specific.

If you listen to pro mixes done in the 70's and 80's/early 90's (of any style) you don't hear any rumbly bass. As the years have gone on, you hear more bass, but it's tighter bass....it doesn't rumble unless you listen to something created in competition for the volume wars. There are so many things we do in mastering that people don't notice. The reason being? It's like a compressor...what you don't blatantly hear is how it is supposed to be done. For example, I may add 50 Hz to a recording....but it may be a tight Q 50 Hz where it enhances, but does not dominate. You're not going to get thrust and rumble out of it. That said, there has to be a reason to add that frequency. We just don't add it for the sake of, ya know?

So there are some things to think about. Just do your thing man....you're good at it. The bass sound you have in this song is fine by my ears. Unless you are going for something specific, if it sounds good, it is good. As far as bass drive goes...I personally hate that type of sound. Not that my opinion matters, but I come from the school of 
"bass that sounds nearly like a piano with low end". Especially for stuff that is classic rock sounding. I just mixed and mastered a band in Cali called "Points North". Instrumental rock...but the bass tone is one of the best I have ever achieved. Some of it due to me, some of it due to the player and his choice of bass.

I know in the 60's and early 70's we had some bass drive at times, but man...some of it was done well, some of it was horrible. The good dirt you may be looking for usually doesn't come from any plugins. The reason being, no one (other than UAD) knows what proper saturation is supposed to sound like IMHO. I've never heard anything give you the good drive we all seek when we need this sort of thing in plugin format.

As you know, there is a difference between distortion and saturation. I just don't like any drive on a bass unless it's tube drive from an outboard source or tape saturation. (in moderation) Everything else falls way short...unless you have the UAD stuff. Even they aren't perfect, but their tape sims are the closest I have ever heard and their Fatso compressors are off the hook for that as well.

Whatever the case, a little sizzle can be good....but the key word there is "a little" and you HAVE to have the right source giving you sizzle. Those channel sims....oh man...no offense to Cake, Waves or anyone else that has them...but....I hate them. I've worked with tape and outboard gear as long as I have without. Someone needs to take a step back and really listen to what this stuff is supposed to sound like. It makes me wonder how old the guys are that are simulating these pieces at the creation/code stage. If they ain't 50 or 60, they ain't lived it.

Also, though these channel tool artifacts exist and may have been used on pro albums using the big consoles, in all my schooling with actual SSL and NEVE consoles, we NEVER over-drove the channels in those boards. If we did, it sounded like @ss x10...and let me tell you, there was nothing magical or musical about it. I'd rather saturate from something MADE to saturate.

The pre's on those consoles were made to produce clean, clear signals. If someone did drive them, they are kidding themselves if they think it sounded good. Heck, anyone giving them props is just kissing up...unless it was done for effect on purpose. LOL! That's just me though...use whatever works man. We always drove signals from tube pre's or outboard gear that actually sounded musical and pleasing to the ears.

The bass tones guys use today with modern music......uggh...full blown distortion. I'm open to change....I accept it, I understand it....but that said, I can't help that I feel it sounds terrible and degrades the sound while attempting to hide the imperfections kinda like a guitarist hiding behind effects. It's just bad in my opinion.

I know you're not looking for anything that extreme. You could always re-amp the bass through that Ampeg SVX sim. I've found that to be one of the best bass sims out there and my "go to" when I need a little something else. These days, I'm getting an incredible sound going right into my Midas M32 with a DI and a little compression printed in real time. The Midas pre's are really good...so it's like having a super pricey front end. Other times I have great results with a bass POD or some other pre-amp. Sometimes we take a live feed from an amp, sometimes I mic the cab (though I just about never like that sound) whatever we do, we end up with good tones thank God. :)

At any rate, this message was pretty much to pat you on the back while also sharing a few things with you on the side. Try not to over-think this stuff. Sometimes less is more and sometimes a basic sound is all that is needed. The stuff I've heard you share has been sounding good. I might not post as often as I used to, but I'm always listening and reading. :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
gswitz
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/05/07 15:50:06 (permalink)
Danny,

Thank you so much for the great post.

I have a sub.

I don't have arc... yet.

I think my next step is to remove the SIM and try to get a similar sound dry.
post edited by gswitz - 2015/05/09 23:34:40

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/05/07 17:46:23 (permalink)
One of the big problems with the bass sound is people most often just have way too much bass in the mix. Tell the bass player to go away when they start wanting more bass.  Tell them you are mixing and it is all about balance.  Once band members start telling me how to mix I say to them either leave it to me or I drop this job right now.  And you will pay me too right up to this point. (those tracks that Geoff put up all have too much bass in them)

Here is a good tip.

When you think you have got the bass level right, note where it is on the fader then mute it and listen to the music for at least 15 minutes without it.  Then feed the whole mix into a small mono Auratone type speaker at low volume.  While down there put the bass fader right down to zero.  Unmute the bass then slowly bring the bass level up to where it just sits nicely in the mix.  Just audible and nice.  You will find it will be about 6 dB lower than where it was before.  That is where the bass level should be.

In all the best mixes I have heard the bass is just sitting nicely under the music, audible but not loud.

Car systems are a bit of a worry I agree with Danny on this.  Mine has a massive low end too.  What I have done is taken test tracks or great reference tracks into the car and tweaked the car bottom end to bring it back to normal and more in line.  It can be a useful refernece.  I find if my teeth are rattling in the car then there is usually too much deep low end going on.  I go back inside and sort it out.  I find a lot of great reference tracks have a lovely punchy low end in the car but don't rattle my teeth.  And the bass is just at the right level.

Bass is nice and we all like it hence the reason there can be a trend to push it slightly too high.  Don't give into that.  Keep it into perspective like everything else.  A mix means a mix of everything and all things at the right level and in perspective. When the bass level is too high even by 6 dB you are using a lot of the available spectrum energy which means there is too little left for the rest of the entire mix!

Subs are nice yes but as Danny says they need to be very correctly set for their level. You can actually get the bass level right in a 4" Auratone speaker down at low volume too.  If you cannot hear it there it also means there is not enough mid range and top end energy associated with the bass sound too.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2015/05/07 18:11:48

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
gswitz
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/05/07 21:11:21 (permalink)
Jeff,

I want to start by saying you have taught me a ton! You have my great respect and I largely agree with you.

That said, my friends definitely don't agree.

I'm not mixing for world wide distribution or playback in movies. I'm mixing for my friends to be able to listen on the stuff they listen on - in the places they listen. They all want it to sound like the band does when it plays live. The guitars turn up. The bass turns up. The guitars turn up. The drummer starts breaking sticks haha.

That's what they want. IMHO, I made them a pretty sweet mix at -14. I was happy and gave it to them. 

You can hear some of the stuff in this video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_hFFMLTElA

I think it's worth saying that I work with a whole bunch of different bands. They all have different styles and need different things, but the need for tons of bass is a pretty universal wish.

Bob Katz may be right for what the world wants to hear, but when the recording will really only be listened to by a few outside the band, do we really care to fight the band?

mettelus
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/05/07 23:02:28 (permalink)
Jeff's tip is a great one. This is not really a "tip" but I have found is a very nice litmus test for a mix in general (but will fall short with bass specifically and defies about every sound engineer's advice there is).

I have a Motorola Droid Maxx, and noticed that playing it lying on a hard flat surface (this part is very crucial) will reveal a lot with the elements and how they sit. No digital enhancements whatsoever, and even mp3 work for this provided you do not get "crazy low" on the bit rate.

Reading the forums makes me realize how "unorthodox" my setups are at times, but I went through the first few pages of the "Golden Ears" link Noel had posted using that phone (then got bored and went to bed). Some things in life definitely fall into the realm of "don't knock 'em till you try 'em." (This is also why I get wrapped around the wheel at times on listening environments, since the listener may be using the worst equipment on the planet, but still wants to enjoy the music.)

codamedia
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1185
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/05/09 21:08:38 (permalink)
@gswitz...

The first mix in the link from the OP had the levels right. Everything else (including the link just a post or two above this) has the bass way to loud. I have to agree with Jeff.

You were on the right path at the beginning, and it diminished from then on. Pleasing the band only, on their own personal system is not something I would do! Get it right for them, and they will next complain when they here it at their mothers house! Mix it right to begin with - it will work everywhere!

The playing is great, the (original) mix was great.... to get a little "Flea" out of the bass I would have simply added some dirt (soft tube?) and/or compression. The tone (EQ) was fine for me.

Just my 2 cents along with everyone else!
post edited by codamedia - 2015/05/09 21:15:18

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
gswitz
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/05/09 23:53:17 (permalink)
Thanks Codamedia. I appreciate you listening and your feedback.

I think it's ok to have more than one mix of a performance. Obviously if you are going to print a bunch you'll probably pick one, but if you burn each CD for a particular person, you can have different versions and pick the version to fit the listener.

I think it's ok to work out a nice bassy mix. I've been mixing bands a long time. I've mixed a lot of concerts. I think my appetite for mixes that push the limits of what I've learned is growing. I'm pretty good at following the rules now. I know a lot of tricks (thanks everyone here for that!). 

To me, there can be a lot of mixes that sound good. If my friends want me to stretch in a new direction, why not?

I feel that mixing is a bit like cooking. Breaking rules can help you stand out in a crowd. It's ok to push the limits. I know this can only work if you still cook what tastes good. I'm trying!

I'm a good listener and I'm not really having a problem with the mixes.
http://stabilitynetwork.blob.core.windows.net/g-tunes/20140816_CowFest2_10_Cry4thAmendment.mp3

And the new mixes are definitely making the band happier than the December delivery.
http://stabilitynetwork.blob.core.windows.net/g-tunes/20140816_CowFest2_10_Cry4thAmendment_DecemberMix.mp3

To tell the truth, it's made me much more aware of how much compromise is made to have only one mix of a concert. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to pick from 5 different mixes of a show? Buy the one YOU think sounds best!

With both mixes on the shelf, I wouldn't normally reach for the December mix.
post edited by gswitz - 2015/05/10 10:25:42

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/05/14 12:36:31 (permalink)
gswitz

I'm not mixing for world wide distribution or playback in movies. I'm mixing for my friends to be able to listen on the stuff they listen on - in the places they listen. They all want it to sound like the band does when it plays live. The guitars turn up. The bass turns up. The guitars turn up. The drummer starts breaking sticks haha.

That's what they want. IMHO, I made them a pretty sweet mix at -14. I was happy and gave it to them. 

You can hear some of the stuff in this video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_hFFMLTElA

I think it's worth saying that I work with a whole bunch of different bands. They all have different styles and need different things, but the need for tons of bass is a pretty universal wish.

Bob Katz may be right for what the world wants to hear, but when the recording will really only be listened to by a few outside the band, do we really care to fight the band?

Geoff,

Totally understand where you are coming from. You definitely don't want to fight the bands especially when they are paying you.....or even if they aren't and this is a gratis project. That said, your name goes on the thing at the end of the day and what they choose that you allow reflects on you. When all is said and done, no one knows what the band chose....they listen to the mix and either love it and want to know where it was recorded/mixed, or they want to stay as far away as possible.

You have to find that happy medium of what works and what the client wants. Just because they are paying for it doesn't mean "the customer is always right". Whoever came up with that phrase....well let's just say, if they were still alive to see how things have changed, they would take that phrase back in a heart-beat! LOL!

Clients, friends...whatever you choose to call them, need to be educated. Especially if you are trying to get a little business going on the side. If not and you'll forever be doing this as a favor or a hobby, totally disregard this message. But they really do have to be taught in the quickest amount of time possible. This usually means allow them to help you with the mix, then you go and mix it by yourself. When you present your new mix, you show them what is good about your mix and what is bad about their mix. From there, you may do one more with the band now that they have an understanding as to what is going on and what SHOULD be going on.

The latest vid link you gave is loaded with bad bass in my opinion. See, you can have a mix that is bassy but you need to be able to add the right bass. Sub low bass in material like this is not the answer. There comes a time where you have to decide whether to turn up the bass, or literally add more of the bass you already have. 9 times out of 10, if you have the right bass sound, you can get away with just turning up the fader on the bass and the kick if need be. But once you literally roll in more low end "oomph" you blew the mix to heck.

You have to speak for yourself without coming off like a Richard Cranium. I have meetings with all the people I work with before we get busy. The reason being, I tell them that there will be certain calls that can make me as well as the band look bad. It's my job to make sure that does not happen. It's one of the few powers I like to have at my disposal to keep some of the clueless people in check. I don't say that in a negative way, they just really don't have a clue how all this is supposed to work and if you're not careful, it becomes all about "me" each time you work on an instrument with another guy in the band. It's up to you to set those boundaries to keep things in check.

I totally understand that the material is not going further than the band and a few friends. But you just never know where it may end up. I sold a song idea to a fairly famous singer/songwriter years ago. A car I was in was broken into and my box of cassette tapes was stolen. I always label all my tapes. Somehow, this tape fell into the right hands and they contacted me about the song. I literally sold the song outright for $1000. You just never know.

Listening to the video mix, I don't think about "the band made the engineer make these decisions." I think "wow, how could the engineer let this go like this?" I know they made you enhance the low end and I know you want to keep everyone happy as it is easier to just be peaceful and give people what they want over taking the time to educate them or even bicker. But....your name associated with any project is worth your final say to where you can veto something blatantly obvious.

Then again, you know your business and know how to handle your clients. I'm just telling you how I have always handled situations like this. I never come off like a know-it-all or a tough guy. I merely explain why they might not want to do something and always have reasons and examples to back up my claims. I love to teach, so it doesn't bother me to whip something up in a jiffy to get my point across....and save their mix from disaster. :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
gswitz
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/05/14 16:02:40 (permalink)
Thanks Danny. I feel I'm on a safari and that I may come upon something new and important to my overall understanding.

http://forum.cakewalk.com...aspx?m=3220746&p=2

I put up a new video here.

I have gotten the same feedback from enough people that it is making me challenge my assumptions.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1