Alternatives to Acronis?

Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2015/04/25 00:36:49 (permalink)

Alternatives to Acronis?

NOT happy with Acronis. Earlier today I inadvertently shut down Windows while Acronis was doing one of its automatic backups, and I was treated to an "operations are running" shutdown screen that did not progress to a shutdown, even after an hour. I had gone out and left it because I figured maybe Windows was running some kind of big update. Anyway when I got home and realized it was still showing the "operations are running" screen, I got worried and Googled it. The first result mentioned Acronis and I put two and two together. It was at that point that I realized my external drive was spinning like crazy and was red hot to the touch. So I immediately turned it off and the computer finished shutting down. 

Turns out this is a much complained about problem with Acronis - it hijacks the shutdown procedure, doesn't inform the user that the process is still running or provide an option to abort shutdown or abort Acronis, and leads to this never ending shutdown screen. People have talked about losing data because of it, and there are many complaints that Acronis refuses to address the problem. Indeed I saw a response from Acronis on their forum where they suggested that other software does the same thing (I've never seen it before) and that it's supposed to work this way. I'm using Acronis 2014 but I read someone say that it happens to them with Acronis 2015 as well. 

So I'm no longer confident about using Acronis and am open to suggestions for other automatic imaging software. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!

18 Replies Related Threads

Tom Riggs
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1752
    Re: Alternatives to Acronis? 2015/04/25 00:52:16 (permalink)
    Just do manual backups for now and disable the scheduled backup. That way you will be aware of what is going on.

i7-3770k OC at 4.5Ghz, asus p8z77-m, 16g g.skill aries 1600 c9 ram, Noctua d-14 cooler, RME HDSPe Raydat, Motu FastLane, Nvidea GTX 980 ti 6G, windows 7 and 8.1 pro x64. Sonar Platinum and x3e currently installed

My Music 
    My YouTube

sharke
    Re: Alternatives to Acronis? 2015/04/25 01:01:29 (permalink)
    Unfortunately that doesn't work for me, I've tried it. I just can't seem to get my head together to do manual backups 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Tom Riggs
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1752
    Re: Alternatives to Acronis? 2015/04/25 02:05:05 (permalink)
    I do a mixed process. I make an image backup if I think I need a way back. Otherwise I have a batch file setup to sync the folders that contain all my data, projects documents etc, just lick a link and it backs up all my data to my external drive. If I do it regularly its really fast.

i7-3770k OC at 4.5Ghz, asus p8z77-m, 16g g.skill aries 1600 c9 ram, Noctua d-14 cooler, RME HDSPe Raydat, Motu FastLane, Nvidea GTX 980 ti 6G, windows 7 and 8.1 pro x64. Sonar Platinum and x3e currently installed

My Music 
    My YouTube

bitman
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4105
    Re: Alternatives to Acronis? 2015/04/25 10:44:50 (permalink)
    I love acronis, learn to be subservient to it and all will be ok for you.

Plus you will have your backup which is the the best thing for you if you have a hard drive because these days you just cant trust em!
    Moshkito
    Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3765
    Re: Alternatives to Acronis? 2015/04/25 10:49:02 (permalink)
    Hi,

I have enough computers, that I back up what I do that is important in two of them the minute I get done.

However, you ALWAYS, have to make sure that things are saved in one place only, so all you have to do is copy that whole section, and it can be setup automatically, however, I am not a great fan of the system resources that process tends to eat up.

So I have a folder on Guru that says Writing -- where I put everything, and that folder gets copied to AshRa and Cymbaline. Done for the day and it only took a few seconds.  The other folder says "Work" and it has the website files and the rest of the stuff, including saved emails and whatever else is needed.
    post edited by Moshkito - 2015/04/25 11:16:50

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Alternatives to Acronis? 2015/04/25 14:43:46 (permalink)
    Lots of people have recommended Paragon.  I have Acronis, but I've run into some similar issues with it and will probably switch soon.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Alternatives to Acronis? 2015/04/25 14:47:03 (permalink)
    I have Acronis but my computer tech guys use Norton ghost to do system images. I just do a system image once a week and call it a day. I find it too hard to pick and choose data and applications so the whole thing gets copied.

Since Acronis shuts down windows and reboots into DOS? I lose the use of my machine for an hour or so. In fact, this thread reminds me it's time to do a backup. Later.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    sharke
    Re: Alternatives to Acronis? 2015/04/25 18:19:56 (permalink)
    Anyone have any opinions or experience with Macrium? 

James
    craigb
    Re: Alternatives to Acronis? 2015/04/25 19:03:17 (permalink)
    I was going to suggest you check out the comments about Paragon in the Computer forum (or whatever it used to be called) but, apparently, it's gone...

Too bad because there was a LOT of really good information in that forum!

Note that if it's just been moved or renamed, that I was unable to find it.

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Alternatives to Acronis? 2015/04/25 20:05:15 (permalink)
    craigb
    I was going to suggest you check out the comments about Paragon in the Computer forum (or whatever it used to be called) but, apparently, it's gone...

Too bad because there was a LOT of really good information in that forum!

Note that if it's just been moved or renamed, that I was unable to find it.

the computer forum on cakewalk?  it's not gone!  you must have your filter set to not show it.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Computers-f84.aspx

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    craigb
    Re: Alternatives to Acronis? 2015/04/26 00:20:45 (permalink)
    Hmm...  Weird.  Ok, well, anyway, check there for comments about Paragon from the guys that build DAW's!

Moshkito
    Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3765
    Re: Alternatives to Acronis? 2015/04/26 11:25:50 (permalink)
    Hi,

I do not "build" my own computers, my friend does.

But the whole software setup is all mine. I can not figure out why an "image" would be that important ... that you have to redo the whole machine. If it was setup correctly, Windows first, then the Firewal/AV (etc), and then the Updates, then you are (conceivably) properly protected, and in the last 8 years I have had only one problem with one of those rotorooter kits, and F-Secure log'd in and cleaned it and voila ... fixed. By that time I had removed all software in the computer, and only had Windows and F-Secure to ensure that the smallest number of files was in trouble.

Since then, I do things manually, and I will NOT (EVER) by a named computer, because of the crap that is added to it that creates more connections than you can ever conceive or expect. Those named computers would be tough on most musicians that use them for their creations. One more slight detail ... I do not use "Home" editions. I have used Professional Editions ONLY, for the past 10 years, and in fact went immediately to 64bit on W8 when the silly setup would lose the Name Resolution Information and kill the home network information. The 64 bit does not "lose" it, but it is very sluggish when the other computer comes up or went to take a nap. You have to go to the other computer and tap a link this way, and then it wakes up so you can go that way. Talk about sloppy merde!

My experience has been, that if folks get infected and hurt like that, there is something not necessarily good that you are doing on that computer ... thus, I only do email/browsing on Cymbaline, and never on the other computers, for example, which, so far, has cut down the problems considerably!
    post edited by Moshkito - 2015/04/26 11:36:10

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
    ShellstaX
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 502
    Re: Alternatives to Acronis? 2015/04/26 12:16:04 (permalink)
    sharke
    Anyone have any opinions or experience with Macrium? 

I've used Macrium Reflect for years and been very happy with it.

I haven't had cause to restore on Win8, but have used it for complete image restore scenarios under Vista and selective restore under Win7. That's one of the good things about it - you can open any image to drive letter and browse at will (and simply copy files/trees). Historically, and still, there are BARTPE or Linux Boot Recovery CD/DVDs - nowadays USB flash might be more suitable (which it also caters for).

I've only ever used the free version - here's the edition comparison. Yes, I should do backups more regularly and use schedules / incrementals. It would be high on my review list if I was looking to purchase.
    post edited by ShellstaX - 2015/04/26 12:36:17
    jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re: Alternatives to Acronis? 2015/04/29 13:53:01 (permalink)
    I'm interested too. I was about to buy Acronis 2015 but the reviews scared me. I need a disk cloning solution. I am getting a USB3 drive bay to use. I have 1 500G drive for the OS and programs, and 2 2TB drives, one for samples and one for projects. I'm getting either three duplicate SATA drives or one 3TB drive and put partitions on it but I'll probably get three drives because I am a dummy and don't know how to partition, I prefer a button that says "Clone".
    I'm just not sure about Acronis but a lot of people seem to use it with no trouble. I want something that works and is EASY to use. Does three backup drives sound OK or dumb?
    Note, I am not interested in backup but in drive cloning and then maybe once a week making sure it is up to date, can I do that or am I asking for trouble. In the past I've used Norton default set and a USB HD for backing up my laptop but it would still be a PITA if I crashed and had to restore. I want to drive clone on my DAW so I can just swap out a drive if it crashes.
    I'm still on W-8.1 too, I'm not sure if I should update it. I guess I'll ask Jim about that but what do you think? Any opinion?
    J

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    ShellstaX
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 502
    Re: Alternatives to Acronis? 2015/04/29 14:40:21 (permalink)
    The free version of Macrium Reflect 'clones' too - an easy to find icon. I assume the pay version would allow you to top that up every week or so (?)

Have you considered / looked into RAID solutions for real-time redundany (RAID 1 - mirroring). In this case your source/destination drives should be the same. Capability may be built into your pc motherboard already (?)
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2849289/supercharge-your-pcs-storage-with-a-raid-setup-everything-you-need-to-know.html

Otherwise 3 drives should be OK but may be more expensive. The destination sizing will have to be the same or larger of course. This goes for a single drive too + you'd probably want to look into partitioning software / methods first.

[EDIT]: Incremental cloning is supported with Home Edition (retail price $69.95) as seen on the comparison link in my previous post. Don't forget to create your recovery boot media (CD/DVD/USB Flash).
    post edited by ShellstaX - 2015/04/29 21:40:12
    Shambler
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 783
    Re: Alternatives to Acronis? 2015/04/29 14:54:00 (permalink)
    Just downloaded Macrium free, it's easy to use and I've made images of my 2 boot drives on a 3rd external usb3 drive...time will tell if it works but all reports seem positive.

SONAR Platypus on Win10 64bit.
    Studio One Pro / Cubase Pro 9.5...just in case.
    8GB i7-2600 3.4GHz Gigabyte  Z68XP-UD3P
    Geforce GTX970
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen
    Prophet 12/Rev 2/Virus Snow
    Zebra2/DIVA/NI Komplete 10
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re: Alternatives to Acronis? 2015/04/29 18:43:35 (permalink)
    I've used this since 2005, it's never put a foot wrong so I've never considered any thing else.

I boot it from a USB drive and backup off line and backup and restore OS images in a matter of minutes.  It's not even installed on my computer so it takes up zero resources.

Suspect a malware invasion never mind trying to locate and clean it off just restore to a last clean image,  you've made significant changes to your OS or Windows update has, just restore yesterday's back up, yada, yada...

I wouldn't be without it.

http://www.disk-image.com/

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    sharke
    Re: Alternatives to Acronis? 2015/04/29 23:16:16 (permalink)
    I'm going to try Macrium I think. 

However, there is a way to get Windows to schedule regular image backups with its inbuilt System Image Backup tool. It used to have a backup scheduling feature but for some reason Microsoft removed it for Windows 8.  But you can create a task in the Task Scheduler using Windows PowerShell like so: 

http://pureinfotech.com/2013/10/24/schedule-windows-81-system-image-backup/

Info on how to restore from a backup here:

http://winsupersite.com/w...se-system-image-backup

James
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1