My Virus Conspiracy Theory

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jeff oliver
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
2015/04/24 23:02:37 (permalink)

My Virus Conspiracy Theory

Hey gang! Don't know how this will go over but here it goes. I use to build computers back in the day when you really had to if you wanted to run a DAW. Off the shelf was ridiculous. I worked on others computers as well and viruses was common. I mean all the time! I always suspected the virus protection vendors as the main ones putting these puppies out. I still do. However, now that the trend is everything going web-based I figured most of the common viruses would have to go in order to gain the trust of the consumer to be online with their precious computer. And from where I stand it would "seem" to be the case. I have two HP laptops for studio work and a home computer. No virus software on any of them! My studio computers do not have email installed and I'm still cautious not to visit any sites other than what's necessary. I have Sonar of course! IK multimedia SampleTank, Amplitude, Komplete 8 and a few others. I have not had a virus, at least not detectable, for over 5 years! I did do a system restore on my home computer once so I guess it was one virus that effected my email. So, am I crazy not to have virus protection? Do you? If so, what brand. Norton was too intrusive back in the day and I believe it still is. My computers are running smooth as ever! So please let me know what you think. I'll take my chances on NOT having virus protection at all other than the windows 8 stock. Also, I want to thank so many of you for helping me as I read other post I learn so much!  

44 Replies Related Threads

mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/24 23:15:46 (permalink)
    Lots of folks seem to run Microsoft Essentials Another popular one is Avast, AVG and for malware there's Malwarebytes. They all have a free version which is also usable.

Even today Norton and Macafee still seem far too intrusive at least in my opinion, but it's also what I've gleaned from a lot of other opinions stated here on the forum.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    jeff oliver
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/24 23:22:11 (permalink)
    Totally agree about MacAfee as well. Can't even move your mouse without a pop-up. Exaggeration but you get my point. Maybe after I get bit I'll try one of those you mentioned. Thanks!
    Gone!!
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 797
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/24 23:31:24 (permalink)
    I have only ever had 1 virus, (that I know of, if there were others they must have been good virus's, because they never affected me) I think that was in '98. On this laptop that I am using now I have Avast antivirus installed, and on my other laptop as well, never switched on any windows stuff, actually make sure it is switched off is my first move. Don't have any Firewalls installed or use any other virus, malware, etc etc stuff, never have. There is a firewall thingy or something in the router, don't know much about it, but it's there doing whatever it does.

My 2 music PC's are connected to the net, although it's just for the basic stuff that needs to be done, updating/installing any progs or plugins that do it from within, but they don't 'surf the web' as such, no Email or anything. I have nothing on them, no antivirus, firewall, malware etc stuff, but they do go through the routers firewall thingy. Any actual manual downloading or web browsing gets done on the laptops, then I just transfer any files over to the 2 PC's when needed.

That's the way I have always had things, I feel safe. But if I was to give advice, I would say get yourself a good virus scanner, maybe set up your firewall, but the way I look at it is if you are careful and don't go to places you know you shouldn't, don't go opening Emails you know nothing about, stay clear of cracks and warez etc etc,  you are stacking the odds considerably in your own favor.

So go get yourself an antivirus, I can recommend Avast, it's free, or you can pay for the bells and whistles if you like, kick in your firewall, and use common sense when on the net.
    jeff oliver
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 01:17:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice. You think largely like I do. Just don't surf around much or really at all and no emails open on it. Grandma use to say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". LOL! My original position is I think viruses is just another money making scheme. When the industry dictates it can no longer have any viruses they will disappear like a vapor. Now its quite tolerable, I guess until I get a virus! Much appreciated! If you ever tried to disable Norton the computer will go crazy. You have to uninstall it completely.
    TomHelvey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 537
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 01:22:06 (permalink)
    I use Webroot Secure Anywhere, it doesn't get in the way.

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
    PCIe: UAD Octo
    USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
    DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
    Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
    Gone!!
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 797
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 01:24:20 (permalink)
    Norton is a virus unto itself, and IMO should be labeled as such, it's hideous, My sister in law and a couple of other people I know who's computers were playing up had Norton, removed that and all was good.
    thaddeusjon
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 01:48:07 (permalink)
    Sustem Mechanic Pro. Go to their website and make your own decision.
    thaddeusjon
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 01:49:18 (permalink)
    System Mechanic Pro. Go to their website and make your own decision.
    jeff oliver
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 01:54:51 (permalink)
    Its a crime that there's no law for...yet. Or at least is being grossly overlooked. It's not a crime to create a virus, only to infect someone with it. But then what's the purpose. Except in Japan I believe where it is a crime to even create one. I could be wrong but they have taken a more serious step than we have in stopping this. And yes, Norton is the worst!!!
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 02:11:32 (permalink)
    I don't use anti-virus stuff - not on my work machine programming - absolutely not on daw machine.

#1. 4 years ago I started using internet usb stick kind of modem, and had this hang of taskbar for a couple of minutes in between activating internet. Thought it might be virus.

I tested a range of the most common antivirus, Norton, Kapersky, McAfee, AVG, Avira, PCTools and still one or two. Without exception these softwares caused more problems than my thought of virus. Machines were slow responding and made my machine perform like my first PC 1985 - 10MHz something. Tried all kinds of settings to disable stuff - but they still intervened more than I wanted. Some had serious bugs too, suddenly hanging the app running(AVG if some internet url parsing was active). Ran these for the trial period or shorter then uninstalled.

Looking further into my issue, turning off just about all software that were claiming internet looking for updates - it was basically not a problem anymore. Windows Automatic update service disabled, Flash player, Adobe Acrobat etc - turned off - and this hanging changed from every time booting up, to a couple of times a week only. So it's just something with how this usb stick drivers were hooking into tcp/ip.

Now switching to wireless broadband as separate router through wired network card - never any problems with this.

So still not running any antivirus.

#2. 15 years ago I think I got some kind of virus - browser and activeX controls something. I suddenly had some issue visiting a site. I had at the time two identical Windows NT 4 machines, and identified a file in system32 folder and copied from the other machine - and it went away and worked normally again.

So I took the chance to send the failing file to a couple of antivirus software companies - a report of possibly unknown virus. None showed any interest to investigate this at all.

This leads to same conclusion as OP - antivirus companies create these viruses because it's good for business.

So for me two good reasons not consider running antivirus software. It's basically a scam based on a problem that do exist - but is really minor compared to what antivirus software do to your system. Just some basic care when clicking on things - and you are fine.

Easiest way to control people and make them your slave - scare them. That is basically what antivirus companies do - make you pay annually(most of them). Since a payed service must be better than free, right?

I don't know, just my view of it all....
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 03:16:45 (permalink)
    No anti virus / anti malware program is completely foolproof.

I had some adware lurking away on my laptop and neither MSE or Malawarebytes (full version) picked it up.
    I ran an online scan using Trend Micro? That worked but then other stuff will get past Trend.

I don't have any A/V installed on my DAW, I only ever connect to the internet when downloading music related stuff and always disconnect as soon as I've finished.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 04:01:47 (permalink)
    No anti-virus on main and backup DAW ...

I use anti-virus on office laptop that runs email and handles all downloads. Anything clients bring on USB sticks / send via mail or dropbox goes through that laptop ...

Got paranoid once after years without "protection" and installed anti-virus prior to doing a big bunch of online updates, scanned everything thoroughly but only found the "usual" threads that (I suspect) anti-virus programms always list to justify themselves

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 04:12:13 (permalink)
    FreeFlyBertl

... but only found the "usual" threads that (I suspect) anti-virus programms always list to justify themselves

Yes, that is a funny part.

I ran Microsoft something malware removal tool, since my xp cannot run Security Essentials anymore.
    Shortly after starting a full scan - it reported an infected file - so I let it continue - must see what this might be. After 9 hours running, pretty high cpu - fans blowing their brains out - it was finished and was reading three infected files. But final report said - no infected files found - and empty report.

What was that about...

Fabio Rubato
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 500
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 04:50:46 (permalink)
    I used to use System Mechanic Pro and still have a current license but found it a resource hog. I did like the additional utilities included which I bought into - optimisations, defrags, cleanings stuff, blah blah. However, apart from it slowing things down more than it sped things up, the virus protection was reported as being pretty average. So I tried Iobit's System Care, which had a cool interface and had Bit Defender Virus protection, generally reported as being pretty good...only problem, BSOD when using CC...every time I tried to upgrade or install something. 

So now, after listening to some advice from a member, I'm just using Microsoft Security Essentials...seems to do the job, can upgrade via CC, low resource usage and it's free...not bad.

PS...I don't work for MS.

Sonar: Platinum, (X3e) - x64 
    PC: Win10 Pro 64;
    Computer: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3; Intel i7, 2600k @ 4.2 (8 Cores); 16 GB Corsair Ram;
    Visual Card: Gigabyte GTX 580;
    Audio Interface: RME UFX;
    Monitors: Adam A77X, Sub8;
    Midi Controllers: Komplete Kontrol S88,  Novation Bass Station 2; NI Maschine Mk 2; 
    Other Hardware: Joe Meek Twin Q Dual Studio Channel;
    Mics: RODE NT2-A, ASTON Spirit 

Latest Song: Lay Down Before the War

jb101
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 05:54:15 (permalink)
    Norton here, and no problems with it at all.

It certainly used to cause problems, which is how it got it's reputation, I think.

Nowadays I have it running all the time, and never caused a glitch.  This machine is connected to internet most of the time, and has not had any viruses so far.

I read all the Norton horror stories, and look, puzzled, at my machine running smoothly, and wonder if I am just incredibly lucky..

Sonar Platinum
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 06:26:55 (permalink)
    If you ran a mail server which accepted all incoming mail addressed to your domain you'd pretty quickly find out how many viruses (more accurately, trojans) there are out there. A huge proportion of spam carries a trojan payload, often concealed as an invoice or form to fill in.

The last time I saw an attempt to infect one of my machines was four years ago when the MS security application went berserk when I was reading a very reputable website indeed. Presumably the site had been hacked and instructions to automatically download and run a rootkit and trojan loader inserted into it. A website I run had an attempted hacking attack around the same time.

The time before that was a freshly installed XP which connected without me intending it to before the firewall was enabled. It attracted the attention of a worm in under a minute (botnets scanning the internet for open ports were the method of transmission).

Take an unprotected PC on line and you are taking a risk. The majority of malware out there nowadays is intended for the purpose of obtaining remote control of your PC for spamming and other purposes, much of it originates in Russia and the far east. The infection rate from hacked websites etc. is lower than it used to be because MS in particular has taken security much more seriously over the last decade and gradually closed holes that allowed buffer overun exploits and implemented proper user account level security.

As for the effectiveness of MSSE/Win8's defender, I have a collection of nasties acquired over the years and it picks up all of them as soon as they launch and blocks them before they can run. Not all commercial anti-virus applications are as effective.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 06:37:08 (permalink)
    I use the Microsoft Security Essentials (called Defender in Win 8/8.1) and a paid version of Malwarebytes.  It does not cause any DPC Latency and does not interfere with Sonar.

I do part-time PC support and all my clients, except one, use Microsoft and Malwarebytes as I recommend and they are not having any security issues.

For e-mail, I use "Mailwasher Pro" to filter out what I want blacklisted (blocked) or considered spam and using that, the e-mails never get to my e-mail program.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    DRanck
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 608
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 08:12:31 (permalink)
    Viruses are unfortunately not a thing of the past. A few weeks ago, virus was introduced at one of my client's office that cost literally 10's of thousands of dollars to clean up. Some of the software engineers there used to not run AVS on their home computers because "they never got a virus and only went to safe web sites". They do now.

That said, not all AVS is the same. I avoid Norton and McAffee. They are almost as bad as a virus, they are so intrusive. At the present, I'm running Avast on 7 computers and it is "OK". I disable it on the DAW when I'm doing something with a lot of VSTs. I also run scam now and then with MalwareBytes. 

My Sound Cloud
    Website
    Youtube Channel
    The way that I've always gone about making music, the rule of thumb, has just been to make what I love.
    Amy Lee

Sonar Pro 64 (Newburyport), Akai Pro MPK 88, i7-4770K, ASUS Z87-PRO V,  32GB SDRAM 1866, SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500GB SSD, 2 - WD BLACK 2TB, Samsung USB 3.0 SSD, Win 10 Pro 64, Radeon R9 270 Video 2GB, Dell P2314T 23" Touchscreen, Gateway 23" monitor, Presonus USB Audio Interface, Surface Pro 2 w/ Xotopad as a control surface
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 08:43:18 (permalink)
    Over the years I've used three anti-virus applications. McAffee in the 90s then I abandoned that when it grew into an all-consuming monster that required more configuration, maintenance and watching than everything else put together.

So I switched to kaspersky, only to see that contract feature-bloat and swell into another all-consuming monster over a few years.

Nowadays I just use Windows Defender with Sonar and everything else DAW related (including .wav files) and in the other boot environment Photoshop-related put in the exclusions list. The system load is so light I literally can't tell any difference whether it's on or off and it correctly identifies my ever-expanding collection of trojans, root-kits, key-loggers and assorted nasties the spam-bots see fit to email to the world.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    jatoth
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 363
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 09:11:26 (permalink)
    I have never run AVS locally on any of my machines. I use an external "Internet Security Appliance" with all the AV, Malware, and intrusion prevention on the appliance. This protects all devices on the network. Desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, etc. It's a little pricey, but if you are protecting more than 3-4 devices, it is well worth it.
    Personally, I use a Sonicwall TZ-200 with a subscription to GAV. NOTHING gets through.

John

X3e Producer, Sonar Platinum, Sweetwater CreationStation i5 3.1gHz, 12 GB RAM, 500GB SSD OS drive, 1TB SSD audio drive, 1TB archive/misc drive, dual 22" monitors, Windows 7x64, SaffirePro40 (firewire), MOTU MIDI Express XT, Behringer BCF2000, dbx 586, Samson Servo 120a, Yamaha HS80M, Auratone 5c Cubes, Sennheiser HD650, Sony MDR 7509HD, Sony MDR 7506, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000.
    jeff oliver
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 10:33:39 (permalink)
    All very good points here. I only go to about 5/6 websites anyway, all related to my studio. So for now no anti-virus running except whatever it is that came with windows 8.1. As I stated earlier, hopefully this problem will disappear like 8 track players in cars! But I know it will be awhile. Seems to be better already. Thanks for the advice if I ever need to get anti-virus.
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 10:40:21 (permalink)
    jb101
    Norton here, and no problems with it at all.

So do I, mostly for historical reasons.  It's served me well for years and years, but I am wondering for the first time if I'll renew.  The latest version has this nasty habit of going into an intense disk thrashing scan that can last an hour or more on my wife's destop computer even when I disable all scheduled scans in Norton and Windows.  That computer has tons of free drive space so that's not the problem.  I've more or less given up on trying to find out what's going on.  It's obviously NIS though.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    BillWatkins
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 12:58:11 (permalink)
    Hi. Norton on my normal PC. I will typically download to this machine move to an outboard drive and then connect that drive to the DAW for transfer. If and when I have to hang the DAW off the router (typically only Omnisphere updates) I'll enable MSEsentials but also have an FWOn the router. Then the DAW comes off the router and A/V disabled.

Sonar Platinum-2016.05
    Custom Allegro Technology QuietDAW - Intel Core i7 2600 Quad Core CPU 3.4 GHz on an Asus P8P67 Rev 3.0 motherboard, MS Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 16 GB Patriot RAM, eVGA 1 GB Silent Video Card, SIIG 2 port Firewire 1394a PCIe Card, Seagate 500 GB SATA 6 Gb/s (O/S & Programs), Seagate 1 TB SATA 6 Gb/s (Audio), Seagate 1 TB SATA 6 Gb/s (Stream/Samples),Seagate 1 TB SATA 6 Gb/s (internal backup),Sony DVD-RW Lightscribe, LogisysCS4801BK 4U Rackmount case, OCZ StealthXStream 700 W PSU
    michael diemer
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 13:17:25 (permalink)
    I used to run Kaspersky, then it turned out they had ties to Russian Mafia!  So I went with MSE. After a while I got nervous and I did a free Norton trial. It worked fine, the problems reported in the past seem to have been fixed. But I declined to buy it. Went back to MSE, then got nervous again and went with Bitdefender Free. That's what I'm running now. Minimal interference; really the only issue is, I need to let it log in before opening anything up. Then all is well, it's totally non-intrusive.

I agree that it's risky not to run AV. My advice is to use a highly-rated free AV and see how it goes. To think that viruses are a thing of the past, or created by AV companies, is to live dangerously. Of course there are viruses. A day doesn't go by that we don't read of some new hacking plot. There are people out there who want to hurt you. Protect yourself, or you may pay big time.

michael diemer
    Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
    32 GB ram
    1TB Western Digital Black X2
    Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
    UR22 interface
    Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
    GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

michael diemer
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 13:17:25 (permalink)
    Duplicate, please delete.

michael diemer
    Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
    32 GB ram
    1TB Western Digital Black X2
    Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
    UR22 interface
    Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
    GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 13:31:18 (permalink)
    I've not had a virus ever other than a  nasty that came from a friends SD camera card. Be careful about borrowing USB and SD cards. It was so bad it required a total OS install. 

I use the default Windows S E and now defender. I also run CC Cleaner free version from time to time and it cleans out junk cookies. I think only people who are looking for the wrong stuff on the net get into trouble. And only an idiot would open a Spam e mail. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Doktor Avalanche
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4294
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 13:39:33 (permalink)
    jeff oliver
    Its a crime that there's no law for...yet. Or at least is being grossly overlooked. It's not a crime to create a virus, only to infect someone with it. But then what's the purpose. Except in Japan I believe where it is a crime to even create one. I could be wrong but they have taken a more serious step than we have in stopping this. And yes, Norton is the worst!!!

It should be a crime not to have a virus scanner. Infected PC's spread viruses. How could you possibly know you haven't got a virus without a virus scanner. The fact is PC's do get infected only the other day I had to rebuild a PC with hundreds of viruses because the user let their scanner expire.

BTW traditionally most antivirus vendors employ Russians, they have great expertise in the area.
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 13:39:58 (permalink)
    jeff oliver

Believe it or not, it is probably for the best that there is no law against creating a virus. Our reactionary society is fond of crying for new laws whenever something hits our outrage button without thinking of the unforseen consequences (and there is always something we fail to forsee ).  For starters, the more specific a law, the easier it is to get around it, which also creates the paradigm of broader laws tend to have unintended victims. For example, a definition I just read of computer virus could easily encompass many legit applications. The Pace security software that installs with many software programs could easily fit the definition. If you have ever tried to uninstall it and looked at how easily it replicates itself in your registry,  you will know what I mean. Of course Pace is not a virus in the stereotypical way we think when we hear the word, but a sloppily written law (  which many are) could easily include such things. One might say the law could find a way to exclude software seen as beneficial but intent and morality are difficult to legislate effectively without biases that are sometimes irrational and non-uniform in application. Using the Pace example again, it can be argued that we read and agree to have the software on our computers. Unfortunately many viruses are acquired by users agreeing to install of their own free will without reading the fine print carefully. Society as a whole does not bother reading such things so even if the licensing agreement said "You agree to have my nasty virus take over your computer and have me come by to violate your wife on alternate Tuesdays" many would click to agree to the terms. Don't get me wrong, I am all for prosecuting people who use malware for criminal purposes, but I would be hesitant on such a broad stroke that will likely affect innocent more than guilty. The only way someone knows a person created a virus is if they confess or get caught in which case they are likely gettiing prosecuted for a crime anyway.  Making it a crime to create a virus just seems like it would not catch a single extra cyber criminal but may result in the arrests of people under mistaken circumstances.
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: My Virus Conspiracy Theory 2015/04/25 13:49:11 (permalink)
    On a mostly business machine I get about two virus attachment downloads and up to a dozen phishing and false links a week via an email account that was previously dedicated to business. Some of these are pretty sophisticated, and some spoof known contacts. My personal email is rarely affected. When my wife used to speak at conferences and and generously allowed her colleagues to copy stuff from her laptop via thumb drives, she was getting an infection about three times a month. My antivirus flags stuff from the internet much less often. I have never really had any serious damage done by any malware, but I have never run without an antivirus. If you are not running an antivirus program, I am at a loss as to how you know that you do not have a virus infection. The days when malware would flash a frowny face on your screen and wipe your hard drive are long over. Most of the stuff out there now is smart enough to hide and do something useful for someone else without telling you it is there.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1