Helpful ReplyBruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2015/04/25 03:06:34 (permalink)

Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity

I just visited a few news sites and noticed that this "Bruce Jenner" tosspot, whose only recent contribution to the world as far as I know was to kill an old lady in a car accident, is the subject of something like 20% of their current front page articles. I've also been vaguely aware that his family, whose only contribution to the world as far as I can tell seems to be the possession of comically large buttocks, are the subject of a similar percentage of the news media's overall output. I would like, at this point, to thank the news media for providing me with a fail safe indicator of the kind of people I wish to have nothing to do with in this world, to wit, anyone who  who is in the slightest bit interested, fascinated, entertained or captivated by this irrelevant bottom feeding trash. It's drawn a clear line for me. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Gone!!
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 797
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/25 03:21:10 (permalink)
It is a bit sickening, like all these 'Reality TV' programs that have taken over and infested the air waves and minds of people, I don't get it, can't see the interest, it's just brain deadening to me, but that is the way of the world. Maybe it's all intended to distract from all the other stuff that is going on, reality . . . Each to their own I guess.
Susan G
  • Total Posts : 12016
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/25 05:10:37 (permalink)
sharke
I just visited a few news sites and noticed that this "Bruce Jenner" tosspot, whose only recent contribution to the world as far as I know was to kill an old lady in a car accident, is the subject of something like 20% of their current front page articles. I've also been vaguely aware that his family, whose only contribution to the world as far as I can tell seems to be the possession of comically large buttocks, are the subject of a similar percentage of the news media's overall output. I would like, at this point, to thank the news media for providing me with a fail safe indicator of the kind of people I wish to have nothing to do with in this world, to wit, anyone who  who is in the slightest bit interested, fascinated, entertained or captivated by this irrelevant bottom feeding trash. It's drawn a clear line for me. 

Hi James-

I've never watched or been interested in watching the Kardashian's or any other so-called "reality" TV show, but I think the current media brouhaha is about Diane Sawyer's interview with Bruce Jenner in which he self-identifies as transgender. I think that is newsworthy, since he's a public figure (formerly know as "The World's Greatest Athlete", having won the Olympic medal for the decathlon.)

I didn't watch the interview, but I can imagine it was a pretty big deal for transgenders to see such a public figure "come out" on national TV.

But I agree with you that so-called "Reality TV" is basically voyeuristic garbage!

-Susan 

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
kakku
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1646
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/25 08:51:29 (permalink)
Atm there is some nasty reality tv in Finland. The idea this time is that 3 people go to a nice island naked and they are like on a date there. Then one of them who is in the gender minority chooses who he/she wants to be with. I dislike such tv. I even prefer to watch Ren and Stimpy reruns (I secretly like the Ren and Stimpy show).

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
kakku
Ham N Egz
  • Total Posts : 15161
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/25 09:32:21 (permalink)
What can we learn from history?
The Romans pacified the ever restless population with  panem et circenses bread and circuses ..

modern TV and film are the digital equivalent of such 

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/25 10:33:21 (permalink)
Ham N Egz
What can we learn from history?
modern TV and film are the digital equivalent of such 

The American/Hollywood film YES ... it is crap. And yet we all go to see it and take our children with us, even if it is cardboard mysticism and silliness. We support the inane world!

There is a lot of great film out there, but you won't find a whole lot of it in America. Most of it is in Film Festivals, and even then, Robert Redford has become a turkey as has the Independent Channel ... they will only support one film ... which they have an interest in, of course!

But there are a lot of directors doing something totally different, but I doubt that American audiences can appreciate them a whole lot. It's similar here, where there are a handful of folks that have heard other musics than the top ten (so to speak), and know there are different things out there ... but when mentioned to a couple others that play regularly ... it's like the plague and some of them react like it will kill their own knowledge and gig.

America is not used to discussing arts, film, music ... on a "café" (French word intentional), because at times it feels like all they know is the "hits". AND all they want is to come off like their guitar hero!

So what you got left? ... some media bs ... that tends to make people think that you are not as important as they are!

Sorry! You all are much more valuable and important to me, than anyone in TV land!
post edited by Moshkito - 2015/04/25 10:49:39

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/25 12:55:41 (permalink)
Just goes to show that there is nothing new under the sun. I don't recall a time in my life where truly irrelevant details of celebrity's lives were not big business. We just have more outlets for it now. I recall growing up seeing figures like Elizabeth Taylor on the cover of tabloids and magazines like People despite not having done anything meaningful in decades. Our culture seems to have a deep need to create royalty, even if they are powerless. Even nations that still have a monarchy create celebrities who are simply famous for being famous. The conspiracy  minded certainly have ammo to claim intentional manipulation of the masses via distraction. The political minded can chalk such things up to the nature of capitalism. Frivolous things that generate revenue without actually producing anything functional or tangible could very well simply be a by product of an economic system reliant on massive consumerism. I think the Bruce Jenner aspect is probably more newsworthy since he is (despite his achievements being decades old) such a legendary sports icon. A sex change by THE Wheaties guy is kind of mindblowing for some and by far the most successful athlete to do anything like this. The Kardashian connection makes it cheesier, but unfortunately more and more big names have grabbed the money that comes with reality tv. Ozzy Osbourne, Gene Simmons and so on took the plunge and it does not seem to be going away. I can't bring myself to watch it, but I find myself being less harsh on those that do because all of us indulge in something others may find totally frivolous and pointless (like CH). I doubt our making copycat thread titles and bad puns contributes anything more to society than people watching a family of sluts for entertainment.
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/25 14:47:59 (permalink)
Bruce (as Susan mentioned) actually did something once to earn his fame, but what have the Kardashians ever done except be born the spoiled offspring of a lawyer who lost an easy trial?

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
dubdisciple
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/25 18:19:31 (permalink)
craigb
Bruce (as Susan mentioned) actually did something once to earn his fame, but what have the Kardashians ever done except be born the spoiled offspring of a lawyer who lost an easy trial?

I guess I'm just not a believer in the concept of anyone "deserving" or "earning" fame. To some people , a man running around a track is just as unworthy of fame as a woman who's rise to fame was based on a sex tape with another celebrity. She is famous because enough people take an active interest in her for them to read articles about her and watch her stupid show. i get a different variation of forwarded posts claiming soldiers should get paid millions instead of athletes and my reaction applies the same logic; when people are willing to pay exorbitant ticket prices and $200 for jerseys and other things no one actually "deserves" then they will get paid that kind of money and fame. There are countless unsung heroes that arguably should be a bigger object of focus than the people tabloids follow, but to really feel that one person's frivolous in the big picture's attention is more deserving than another borders on arrogance since it implies that "my determination of who should be important is superior to everyone else".  My daughter finds no value in professional sports. She thinks the idea of men being paid to play games is silly.  I don't agree but  i can understand the sentiment.
Susan G
  • Total Posts : 12016
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/26 00:57:53 (permalink)
dubdisciple
craigb

I guess I'm just not a believer in the concept of anyone "deserving" or "earning" fame. To some people , a man running around a track is just as unworthy of fame as a woman who's rise to fame was based on a sex tape with another celebrity. She is famous because enough people take an active interest in her for them to read articles about her and watch her stupid show. i get a different variation of forwarded posts claiming soldiers should get paid millions instead of athletes and my reaction applies the same logic; when people are willing to pay exorbitant ticket prices and $200 for jerseys and other things no one actually "deserves" then they will get paid that kind of money and fame. There are countless unsung heroes that arguably should be a bigger object of focus than the people tabloids follow, but to really feel that one person's frivolous in the big picture's attention is more deserving than another borders on arrogance since it implies that "my determination of who should be important is superior to everyone else".  My daughter finds no value in professional sports. She thinks the idea of men being paid to play games is silly.  I don't agree but  i can understand the sentiment.

Hi dubdisciple-

I don't think winning the Gold Medal in the Olympics in the Decathlon equates to "a man running around a track" or a woman making a sex tape with a celebrity. It's undeniably an accomplishment that took years of hard work and training to achieve.

If you really believe that no one is capable of "deserving" or "earning" fame, then I'd have to disagree, but I certainly do agree that many who are deserving of it don't have it and many who aren't do.

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/26 11:01:22 (permalink)
She should give all her medals back.... She competed as a man and has recently said that she has always been a woman. You can't have it both ways, or can you?

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
Ham N Egz
  • Total Posts : 15161
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/26 11:14:06 (permalink)
jbow
She should give all her medals back.... She competed as a man and has recently said that she has always been a woman. You can't have it both ways, or can you?

I am not agreeing with his/her life change , but let me play devils advocate,,

should we make Wendy(now) Carlos erase/destroy Walters(then) recordings of Switched on Bach?

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/26 11:17:45 (permalink)
jbow
Just goes to show that there is nothing new under the sun. I don't recall a time in my life where truly irrelevant details of celebrity's lives were not big business. We just have more outlets for it now.

Agreed.

There are many new things out there, and some of them are scary, and some are something else and what not. The issue here, is how receptive are we to something completely different, but we have become a media dominated society, and most of us won't give even a listen to something completely different because it is not "famous" and does not "sell" like all the other things that are prostituted out there.
This is more predominant in the arts, than otherwise, it seems, but even then, some of these are just another grandstanding situation trying to get more attention! But some are not trying to get attention and they just blow you out of the map!

I just find it sad that the whole thing is so blown up and over ... when we should just ignore it ... there certainly are a lot more important things going on, but we can not simply ignore the media and tell it to get lost!

I hope that's the next revolution, because it is getting too sick for me.

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
dubdisciple
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/26 13:17:56 (permalink)
Susan G
dubdisciple
craigb

Hi dubdisciple-

I don't think winning the Gold Medal in the Olympics in the Decathlon equates to "a man running around a track" or a woman making a sex tape with a celebrity. It's undeniably an accomplishment that took years of hard work and training to achieve.

If you really believe that no one is capable of "deserving" or "earning" fame, then I'd have to disagree, but I certainly do agree that many who are deserving of it don't have it and many who aren't do.

-Susan

Maybe I should rephrase. The concept of deserving or earning fame is extremely subjective. Of course sleeping with a celebrity and winning a gold medal are not the same thing. There is no metric that establishes a work done to fame ratio. How hard a person worked for something does not translate in any measurable way to whether fame will be achieved or last. The guy in the decathlon who came in last place probably worked just as hard. To some whether it's the Olympics or a hobbyist going to local high school, it is as simple as a guy running around  track. The world champion at tiddly winks probably worked very hard to reach pinnacle of success but is not famous. People are famous because people choose to be interested in them.  
Bert Guy
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1042
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/26 15:46:20 (permalink)
I've never intentionally spent a nanosecond of my life watching reality TV. For that matter, I havn't watched a nanosecond of prime time entertainment TV (sitcoms and dramas) for several decades. It all seems dumbed down and derivative, with some of it actually being made by cretins, for cretins.

Having said all that, I subscribe to about everything that Direct TV offers. Last night I saw The Thin Red Line on DVR- mesmerizing and absolutely splendid, as good a meditation on war as you'll ever see. And the Stanley Cup play-offs are, as usual, extremely action-packed and competitive, with real fights that are much better than WWE. The NHL is my idea of reality TV.

I can remember watching Bruce Jenner live in 1976 take a victory lap, waving US flags, after winning the Olympic decathlon. That was a massive personal achievement made even larger by the sense I got at the time that he had done most of the training on his own and there wasn't anybody pushing him.

So Olympic champion Bruce Jenner is having a sex change and he is somehow related to the Kardashians? This takes me by surprise.

But its Sunday afternoon and I am going to spend a few hours playing some music with the Ottawa/Montreal game on DVR.
My all time favorite Sunday afternoon music:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rARGPAkIcw4

Cheers,
Bert

Silence is so accurate

http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=587673

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/26 16:21:37 (permalink)
Bert Guy
I havn't watched a nanosecond of prime time entertainment TV (sitcoms and dramas) for several decades

Bert, you've missed some very good stuff.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/26 17:10:44 (permalink)
I'm happy to report that I have absolutely no idea who those people are. I've heard the names mentioned in background noise etc, but that is the sole extent of my exposure to them. All that stuff only gets to you if you allow it to IMO.
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/26 17:27:48 (permalink)
Bert Guy
So Olympic champion Bruce Jenner is having a sex change and he is somehow related to the Kardashians? This takes me by surprise.

The mother of the Kardashian wastes of flesh divorced their lawyer father and remarried Bruce Jenner some time back.  That's the connection.

Who cares.  No one should.  *Yawn*

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
dubdisciple
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/27 00:18:09 (permalink)
paulo
I'm happy to report that I have absolutely no idea who those people are. I've heard the names mentioned in background noise etc, but that is the sole extent of my exposure to them. All that stuff only gets to you if you allow it to IMO.

That's the key.  Not letting it get to you.  There are countless things I do not understand the value of ...and that's ok.  I'm sure there are tons of things I love ( I watch bad japanese monster movies like  Mothra every time i see them  on tv) that some people see as an utter waste of time. The Kardashians are not the first people famous for being famous and won't be the last.  I stopped getting upset about the stupidity of reality tv.
jbow
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/28 21:53:47 (permalink)
I have some to the point of going to Facebook maybe once a month. I will likely delete my account soon. Reality TV, social media, it all makes me crazy. This is a nice place, it is enough for me.
I've come to the point where reality TV and social media just make me mad... I don't need more things in my life that make me mad or make me feel even more disconnected from society at large... it is sad. I think maybe we have always been nuts but it just hasn't always been shoved in everyone's face like today.

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/28 22:33:53 (permalink)
I've just cancelled my cable service. $110 a month, for what?

I spent much of the weekend trying to find information about the situation in Nepal but every "news" channel was reporting the same stories: Bruce Jenner and some morons burning sh*t up in Baltimore. If they mentioned the earthquake at all it was to talk about those poor millionaire mountain climbers. By Monday it was as if those 5,000 people hadn't died horrible deaths and a million more aren't in danger of starving or dying from cholera. F*** this, it's not worth $110 a month to watch Big Bang Theory reruns, even if they are in HD.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/29 00:55:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beagle 2015/04/29 10:55:29
When the earthquake first hit, even when it was clear that thousands were dead, a few newspaper sites I visited had upwards of 10 Bruce Jenner stories at the top of the page, including the banner headline. The Nepal stories were much further down. 

My beef isn't with the fact that these celebrities are famous, after all fame has never been a reliable indicator of talent or worth and the brain dead masses have always been terrible at judging value. What p*sses me off is when their inane antics are considered more newsworthy than anything else in the world. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Bert Guy
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/29 01:52:49 (permalink)
What bit-flipper said.

Silence is so accurate

Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/29 07:31:14 (permalink)
The BBC news is nothing but Earthquake and elections.  If I didn't come here I'd still be under the impression The Kardashians was an indi-pop band..

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

jbow
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/29 11:06:18 (permalink)
Ham N Egz
jbow

I am not agreeing with his/her life change , but let me play devils advocate,,

should we make Wendy(now) Carlos erase/destroy Walters(then) recordings of Switched on Bach?

Absolutely!!

Of course, I really don't care but that is hard to "get across" on an internet forum. I think we have gone nuts as a society. Some things that seem obvious to me as right or wrong, to some other people are either a grey area or they feel completely different. In those cases I find it better to not talk about it (especially online) because nothing is ever gained. No one is going to change anyone else's mind and I will NOT engage people who take a post apart line by line and try to refute every line, post it and expect a response. I just don't have the time for that nor any desire to do it. I've never seen that sort of thing here but I used to frequent a now defunct forum that started as an offshoot of the original HCGF, it went through several name changes but ended up as the guitardiner. They had a subforum called The Grill Room. It was infested with people who didn't participate in any gear or guitar related forums but just hung out there and attacked anyone with any hint of a conservative view on anything. That is where I learned that it is pointless to have a serious political or religious or a serious discussion of any kind on an internet forum.
When I post on a subject like this, as I did about the medals, I am always trying to be humorous... sometimes I am not successful but bottom line, I know I am not going to change anyone's mind on anything and no one is going to change my mind either and I am REALLY glad that politics and religion are (mostly) not allowed on this forum.
I think this whole Bruce thing is really sad. It is sad for someone to be this confused and unhappy. He is to old to be going through the stress and meanness of middle school. He has set himself up to be used by some and abused by others but that is just the way it is. I feel really bad for him The Kardashians.. I do not feel bad for, I think they are just complete idiots and people I would not have anything to do with. Who wants to be famous for having a freakishly big butt? What kind of person is that?
There is SO much that I don't get these days.
If what someone does has no harmful effect on anyone else then they should be left alone. If they infringe on my rights or your rights then they should be stopped. In other words your rights end where mine begin and mine end where yours begin and the government should just back off on a lot of things like marriage.
A personal trainwreck is not my idea of entertainment.

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
tbosco
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 903
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/29 15:45:09 (permalink)
It seems that the more socially useless a job is in America, the more we are willing to compensate (pay) for that position, and it makes me want to vomit.  We value (pay) a foreign baseball player $25,000,00 a year to hit a ball and run around some bases several times a year, and there is absolutely no socially redeeming value to this event.  And yet we pay our teachers a measly $30,000 a year, hardly enough to survive, and their job is to (try to) make our children into tomorrow's leaders and to be well educated.  I think that's one of the most important things we can do in society.  Same goes for police protection.  How many folks are willing to be thrust into the dangers that they see for $25,000 a year??  Not me!
Jenner and Kardashian may be INTERESTING (to some people) albeit, but VALUEABLE to society?  Hardly!!  Just shows you how warped our American values have become.  *sigh*

Cheers!

Tony

SONAR Platinum
JNCS Computer with Asus X99 Motherboard (i7)
Win10 Pro 64bit, 32GB RAM
Motif XF7, Komplete 11, Ozone 7, 
Komplete Kontrol 88 keys,
Softube Console 1,
PreSonus Faderport 8,
Focusrite ISA 430 Mk 2 Mic Pre,
Yamaha HS8s and Sub
Drawmer 3.1 Monitor Controller
Fractal Axe FX 2 XL Guitar Processor
Lots-o-Guitars
dubdisciple
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/29 16:45:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Bert Guy 2015/04/30 13:01:11

tbosco
It seems that the more socially useless a job is in America, the more we are willing to compensate (pay) for that position, and it makes me want to vomit.  We value (pay) a foreign baseball player $25,000,00 a year to hit a ball and run around some bases several times a year, and there is absolutely no socially redeeming value to this event.  And yet we pay our teachers a measly $30,000 a year, hardly enough to survive, and their job is to (try to) make our children into tomorrow's leaders and to be well educated.  I think that's one of the most important things we can do in society.  Same goes for police protection.  How many folks are willing to be thrust into the dangers that they see for $25,000 a year??  Not me!
Jenner and Kardashian may be INTERESTING (to some people) albeit, but VALUEABLE to society?  Hardly!!  Just shows you how warped our American values have become.  *sigh*

Maybe it's the philosophy major in me, but I agree to disagree on such thoughts.  Not hat i am a fan of the kardashians.  Reality tv is stupid to me but does not upset me. I'm sort of a pragmatist , so as nice as paying teachers more sounds, the truth is teaching pays higher for a bachelor degree than most entry level jobs one can get with just a BA and no specific training. Anyone, without being tought hotw to actually teach, can become a teacher wit ha 4 year degree in any subject. A baseball player does not make millions because he is contributing to society but because people are willing to pay for the things that make his salary possible.  The moment tax payers are willing to pay up to thousands per seat to watch people teach will be the day teachers make similar salaries.  Also the teachers are underpaid mantra assumes that all or most teachers are actually good teachers. Unfortunately many teachers on a pre college level are there as a means to relieve student loans and hate teaching. i didn't learn **** from my actual teachers.  i had one high school teacher who said he go paid whether i showed up to class or not.  I had some outstanding teachers but the average was just that. the average teacher in our school district gets paid 42,000 for 9 months work and our district is average at best. As for police. I'm sure if you feel protected by police you probably do feel they deserve more. For those of us who grew up in areas with corrupt police forces, paying them more is the last thing on our minds. To me that is a wash.  The values thing i find hilarious (no offense meant).  Our values are no more warped then when we thought it was ok to own people, whorehoueses were legal, cocaine was seen as a cure all and in coca cola and other projects, it was ok to employ kids in coal mines, it was legal to rape your wife and so on. Any period in history has it's share of questionable morality. yes, the kardashians and our culture's obsession with celebrities is silly, but on the scale of horrible things in our history, it is hardly a sign our "values" are more warped.
Bert Guy
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/30 11:58:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2015/04/30 12:06:01
Dub,
Good points. Plus, a married couple where both teach full time can make $100,000+/year  and have good benefits. On a global basis, that's good compensation for teaching school. And there are always the three best reasons for being a teacher: June, July, and August.

Teaching is a calling with an opportunity to gain personal /professional/spiritual satisfaction above and beyond any financial compensation you might receive, a benefit that is forever unavailable to purely avaricious non-entities such as the Kardashians.

Bert

Silence is so accurate

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/30 12:11:43 (permalink)
dubdisciple

tbosco

Maybe it's the philosophy major in me, but I agree to disagree on such thoughts.  Not hat i am a fan of the kardashians.  Reality tv is stupid to me but does not upset me. I'm sort of a pragmatist , so as nice as paying teachers more sounds, the truth is teaching pays higher for a bachelor degree than most entry level jobs one can get with just a BA and no specific training. Anyone, without being tought hotw to actually teach, can become a teacher wit ha 4 year degree in any subject. A baseball player does not make millions because he is contributing to society but because people are willing to pay for the things that make his salary possible.  The moment tax payers are willing to pay up to thousands per seat to watch people teach will be the day teachers make similar salaries.  Also the teachers are underpaid mantra assumes that all or most teachers are actually good teachers. Unfortunately many teachers on a pre college level are there as a means to relieve student loans and hate teaching. i didn't learn **** from my actual teachers.  i had one high school teacher who said he go paid whether i showed up to class or not.  I had some outstanding teachers but the average was just that. the average teacher in our school district gets paid 42,000 for 9 months work and our district is average at best. As for police. I'm sure if you feel protected by police you probably do feel they deserve more. For those of us who grew up in areas with corrupt police forces, paying them more is the last thing on our minds. To me that is a wash.  The values thing i find hilarious (no offense meant).  Our values are no more warped then when we thought it was ok to own people, whorehoueses were legal, cocaine was seen as a cure all and in coca cola and other projects, it was ok to employ kids in coal mines, it was legal to rape your wife and so on. Any period in history has it's share of questionable morality. yes, the kardashians and our culture's obsession with celebrities is silly, but on the scale of horrible things in our history, it is hardly a sign our "values" are more warped.

I agree with you on most of your points, but as a "Devil's Advocate" I'd like to consider this:
first, it may be that our society is still immoral enough in the sense that they don't want teachers or police to be paid more.  if our society were to put enough emphasis on a better system (more training, better requirements, better checks and balances) then higher pay for them would naturally follow.

also, I understand there are corrupt cops and as in your case you lived in an area where they were prominent.  but suppose we had a better system in place and did pay them more - wouldn't that be a way that the system would balance it self better so that there would be fewer corrupt cops?

and finally - not really a "Devil's Advocate" kind of thing, but I do agree with you that it is our socio-economic system which supports paying sports players insane amounts of money.  we've done it ever since the inception of televised sports and the amounts they are paid continue to grow as the years go by.  my problem with that is I disagree with our society, which I understand puts me in the minority regarding how sports players are paid.  I would like to see more of a balanced system there as well, but that will likely never happen unless our economy collapses, which of course, I don't want that either.  guess I can't be pleased! ;-)

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Bruce Jenner/Kardashians/mass stupidity 2015/04/30 12:16:19 (permalink)
Money IS the root of all evil.....lol.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1