Need help recording amp effect into SONAR Home 7

Author
bkane222
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2015/04/24 15:06:22 (permalink)

Need help recording amp effect into SONAR Home 7

Hey guys, so I have a Line6 Toneport GX that im using to run my guitar into my windows 8.1 pc, and using SONAR Home 7 to record into. Using the included Toneport software, Gearbox, Sonar has no problem hearing the amp effects and recording them.  I recently got Guitar Rig for overall better and more effects, and Sonar doesn't record the effects, only the dry guitar signal. I can hear the effects perfectly while recording, but can't seem to figure out how to get Sonar to hear them and record them. Thanks for the help!

5 Replies Related Threads

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Need help recording amp effect into SONAR Home 7 2015/04/24 15:35:42 (permalink)
    Guitar Rig is an audio effect, and should be inserted into the FX bin on the track you are working with. You do not actually record the output of Guitar Rig into SONAR (this is actually nice, since the tone is not committed and you can change your mind later to something else). If you want to commit the sound into the wave file, insert GR into the FX bin with the sound you want and bounce to a new track (including track effects).

In essence, GR is "re-amping" the dry track every time you play it with GR "on" in the FX bin on that track.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Need help recording amp effect into SONAR Home 7 2015/04/25 09:06:44 (permalink)
    TonePort is unusual compared to other amp sims in that it gets its sound before going into the computer, like regular effects. This was how it got such low latency back in the day when comuters were slower. These days, latency is sufficiently low you can work the way Mettelus describes, which does indeed have the advantage of being more flexible.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re: Need help recording amp effect into SONAR Home 7 2015/04/25 10:33:43 (permalink)
    To have sonar record what you hear, you just need to use effects that are being processed before it goes into sonar, like Hardware, effect pedals, and so on.

Software plugins in sonar will not record onto the recorded track,  as Sonar and is Non Destructive. This is perfectly normal operation.

CJ

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    BassDaddy
    Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4232
    Re: Need help recording amp effect into SONAR Home 7 2015/04/25 11:04:15 (permalink)
    "In essence, GR is "re-amping" the dry track every time you play it with GR "on" in the FX bin on that track". Thanks Mettelus, best description ever. I may be able to get some friends to understand using that.

It's Bass, not Bass.
    i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
    Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Need help recording amp effect into SONAR Home 7 2015/04/25 17:43:52 (permalink)
    Craig has said that on other threads before me, so is really his.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1