vocal pitch editing

Author
ChewingAluminumFoil
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 158
2015/04/25 21:49:41 (permalink)

vocal pitch editing

I guess what I'm wanting is a way to view and edit the pitch change that is being applied at any given point in time.  After the pitch corrector does its magic, I'd like to see the resultant pitch delta "wave form" it's computed and I'd like to be able to edit that.  So if the corrector was creating a sudden jump and I was hearing that as unnatural, I could fiddle with the applied delta until I balanced correct pitch with naturalness.

And also very important, where the pitch detector couldn't make sense of the track, I could still select a pitch delta to be applied.  I'm working with my 9 yo's voice and it's pretty shaky and throws the pitch detector for a loop from time to time.  But if I could go in an draw something in the regions where the detector has failed to find a pitch center, I could at least help things I think.

Anyone ever asked for stuff like this?  Does Melodyne do it?  Any other tool you'd recommend?  Thanks.

CAF

Intel I3-2100 3.1gHz, 6GB main memory, Win7 64-bit
SONAR Producer X1 
Focusrite 18i8

4 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: vocal pitch editing 2015/04/26 05:41:50 (permalink)
    Melodyne does about anything you can imagine to a vocal track.
    The workflow is not necessarily exactly as you described, though. It positions the "notes" on a Piano Roll View, and you can manipulate them to your liking, compose harmonies and whatever.
    It's an excellent software.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re: vocal pitch editing 2015/04/26 06:16:47 (permalink)
    I'm not sure that I entirely follow your explanation, but as Kalle says, Melodyne is very impressive, but it lacks the "draw" tool that is present in v-vocal (I'm assuming that you are using that seeing as you list X1 in your sig) which is a shame because sometimes it was just easier to draw the line where you wanted it. Melodyne will get you there, but in a different way that takes a while to get the hang of, although the "essential" version that CW bundle is pretty basic (VV is more capable IMO) so you really need editor version to get the best results.

If VV is not picking up everything from the clip, what can sometimes help is to make the clip a lot louder first, bounce that gain increase to clip and then re-apply VV to the new louder clip and see if it picks it up better. It's easy enough to reduce the volume again afterwards.
    Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: vocal pitch editing 2015/04/26 08:39:35 (permalink)
    I have no idea what this "pitch detector" is that you're using. But Melodyne is very high quality stuff for vocal pitch editing. You may need to step up to the "Editor" version (Sonar comes with Essentials) if you want to get some specialty tools.
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: vocal pitch editing 2015/04/26 11:36:44 (permalink)
    paulo
    Melodyne is very impressive, but it lacks the "draw" tool that is present in v-vocal...which is a shame because sometimes it was just easier to draw the line where you wanted it. Melodyne will get you there, but in a different way that takes a while to get the hang of, although the "essential" version that CW bundle is pretty basic (VV is more capable IMO) so you really need editor version to get the best results.

Agreed with all of the above. I was thrown off by the lack of a pencil tool, but once I figured out how to use the tools, was indeed able to "get there." I do feel that the results of using Melodyne's tools generally sound better than the pencil tool because Melodyne won't let you do anything that's not a variation tied directly to the audio, but the pencil sure was convenient.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1