What to do about people who plagiarize your site content?

Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2015/04/26 01:20:21 (permalink)

What to do about people who plagiarize your site content?

A couple of years ago someone on this forum alerted me to the fact that a business similar to mine in London had basically plagiarized my entire website. He'd substituted a couple of his own images, changed the contact details (obviously) and given the artwork a different color palette. I was pretty angry about it, not least of all because duplicate content can hurt your search ranking with Google, so I called the guy up to ask him to remove it. He was actually very apologetic and admitted that he was just too lazy to come up with his own site, and after talking to him for a while we came to the agreement that he could keep some of my modified artwork as long as he completely rewrote the copy. Looking at the site now it's clear he did make some kind of effort, but it still seems way too similar to mine. I do tend to cool off and forget about these things though. 

Tonight it all came back to me and out of curiosity I thought I'd try and find any other examples of sites plagiarizing my content. So I Googled a little bit of the copy and found a ton of sites which have stolen my copy word for word. I even found one in Canada that had translated it into French. On the one hand it's kind of flattering and funny. On the other, why how dare they!

I'm wondering what my legal position is. Do I have any legal power to demand they remove my content? Or is this something I can report to Google and have them removed from search results? 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!

13 Replies Related Threads

Moshkito
    Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3765
    Re: What to do about people who plagiarize your site content? 2015/04/26 11:05:27 (permalink)
    Hi,

I do not know for sure, and this might be an even bigger issue, if, for example, you use a program and take their "pre-sets" and then that person uses the same program and pre-sets.

I remember Front Page (still use it ... simpler to just type!!!!!) and it was nice to see all those frames, but navigating through them and setting them up was a huge arpthenic pain. I still don't use frames!!!! I might get someone to clean things up, but all in all, I just want it to be me, and I'm not the slick type to show off anyway!

This is the "internet" and everyone takes and grabs and steals something. I'm not sure that any "legal" solution is going to help, while also making it worse ... think of musicians using the same set of 10 notes and Big Shot Schmue suing for royalties! Or Petty Sam Boy! Or Marvin the Somebody! or worse, some rap this or other that uses guns instead of a legal system!

Careful what you ask for? I don't know ... I have had a screen play stolen, but it will never be used in my time ... and the bigger issue? They are not me! They will never make that film work. It will be a curse that they will regret to the end of time!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
    sharke
    Re: What to do about people who plagiarize your site content? 2015/04/26 11:27:16 (permalink)
    Yes people steal and borrow and suchlike, and believe me I would have no beef with someone using my site content as "inspiration" as long as they were going to put it into their own words, but this is about people copying and pasting my advertising copy into their own site word for word. I'm no SEO expert but I do believe that if your site's content is duplicated enough over the web, then site engines like Google are going to see that content as less unique, less relevant and potentially "spam." A single place in Google's site ranking can quite literally cost you thousands of dollars in revenue. I used to be 3rd place in Google's ranking for the most common search term for my business type in New York, and over the last couple of years I've seen myself fall to something like 8th or 9th place, along with a corresponding loss of revenue. Now I'm not going to accuse the plagiarizers of being 100% responsible for this, but if it turns out they might be partly to blame then I'm going to try and do something about it.

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: What to do about people who plagiarize your site content? 2015/04/26 12:37:29 (permalink)
    Did a quick search for 'website plagiarism' and this came up, don't know if it'll help;

http://www.copyscape.com/plagiarism.php

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    sharke
    Re: What to do about people who plagiarize your site content? 2015/04/26 12:55:21 (permalink)
    Yeah I saw that and tried running my URL through it. It came back with a few examples but nowhere near as many as the number I found Googling for it myself. I think there is a paid version though, so maybe if you pay them it gives you more.

James
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: What to do about people who plagiarize your site content? 2015/04/26 13:23:21 (permalink)
    When I used to do web design this came up a lot. Legally it is plagiarism but hard to enforce, especially internationally. We typically resorted to public shaming, and the more extreme colleagues resorted to hacking.
    sharke
    Re: What to do about people who plagiarize your site content? 2015/04/26 13:54:12 (permalink)
    I was hoping that maybe there was a way of reporting sites to Google, after all it's easy enough to prove that your site was there first. 

All this has gotten me to thinking I might as well just make a new website anyway. Mine is looking dated (2010) and I'm seeing a lot of very funky new Wordpress themes which look great and would make designing a new site a breeze by comparison. My current one was done entirely with Notepad++, the HTML and CSS, with graphics designed in Illustrator. It took me freaking ages considering it's only a small site, but I was busy with a lot of other things. 

James
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: What to do about people who plagiarize your site content? 2015/04/26 14:02:05 (permalink)
    Wordpress or any other CMS that allows dynamic content update is definitely the way to go. Makes redesign so much easier, especially for large sites.
    sharke
    Re: What to do about people who plagiarize your site content? 2015/04/26 14:34:29 (permalink)
    Yeah the trouble with bodging together a site yourself (as an amateur - I read a book on CSS and off I went ) is that it's hard to incorporate dynamic content and you end up with a fairly static design that would require all sorts of fiddly rearrangement to change on a daily basis. I used a CSS framework (960) to make life easier for myself in terms of layout and browser compatibility, but it was still a frustrating ordeal. 

James
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: What to do about people who plagiarize your site content? 2015/04/26 15:09:22 (permalink)
    You have stumbled upon the weak link in the intellectual property chain. Unless you are a major player, like a movie studio, recording company, or Fortune 500 software developer, no one will enforce your rights unless you do. Even the leviathans in the intellectual property business often have to do their own diligence and investigations and present a complaint on a silver platter to the FBI before anything will happen. You have the right to fly to the moon, but do you have the resources?

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act actually gives you a low cost opportunity to pursue illegal copying on the internet, and if this is a serious issue, you have the same right as Sony Pictures to issue a takedown notice, assuming that the infringing site is under its jurisdiction. If someone were recording your songs to CD and selling them, you would have a much harder (more expensive) time doing anything. 

http://copyrightalliance.org/2012/03/in-plain-english-a-quick-guide-to-dmca-takedown-notices

Although the original content of a website is copyrighted when it is created in tangible form, if you are going to get involved in litigation in the US, it will need to be registered.  The takedown notice or cease and desist letter probably, does not require registration, although it may be taken more seriously if you can cite your registration. And if the infringer contests the takedown, you will need to actually file suit within two weeks in order to prevent the Website from just putting it back up. If you need to litigate, it is probably not going to be economically feasible. So this action can be seen as mostly a more or less convincing bluff.

http://copyright.gov/circs/circ66.pdf

https://www.venable.com/dmca-takedown--not-without-a-registration/

post edited by slartabartfast - 2015/04/26 15:22:33
    ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: What to do about people who plagiarize your site content? 2015/04/26 16:31:33 (permalink)
    It's a big problem and more common than most people think. An online vendor I sometimes develop content for had their entire site copied and reworked by someone in Eastern Europe. That included stealing all the work I had done for them and it really bothered me. I didn't ask how they resolved it but changes did happen. All the pictures of products now have watermarks but I don't know how they dealt with the text. I can ask, but only if you really want to know.

THis is also the reason I don't do social media any longer. I set up a page on facebook and provided pictures and a small write up of interesting gear that I was working on. I called it "In the Shop" and most of my customers and friends loved it. After about 3 months I realized another guy was doing the same thing and noticed that we both were working on the same gear. Turns out he wasn't working on anything. He just wanted to make it look like he was and lifted his stuff right from my facebook page. I just packed it in and never looked back.

The internet was made for fraud.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    sharke
    Re: What to do about people who plagiarize your site content? 2015/04/26 16:37:41 (permalink)
    I have a friend who is a very talented tattoo artist who specializes in extremely intricate geometric and Escher-esque designs. He used to upload flat, overhead photos of the design on paper to his Facebook page until he noticed that a couple of other tattoo artists were copying them outright and passing them off as their own. Now he takes the photos from a sharp angle looking across the paper so they can't be copied as easily. It's a shame but some people really don't have any pride in themselves whatsoever. 

James
    sharke
    Re: What to do about people who plagiarize your site content? 2015/04/26 16:43:10 (permalink)
    slartabartfast
    You have stumbled upon the weak link in the intellectual property chain. Unless you are a major player, like a movie studio, recording company, or Fortune 500 software developer, no one will enforce your rights unless you do. Even the leviathans in the intellectual property business often have to do their own diligence and investigations and present a complaint on a silver platter to the FBI before anything will happen. You have the right to fly to the moon, but do you have the resources?

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act actually gives you a low cost opportunity to pursue illegal copying on the internet, and if this is a serious issue, you have the same right as Sony Pictures to issue a takedown notice, assuming that the infringing site is under its jurisdiction. If someone were recording your songs to CD and selling them, you would have a much harder (more expensive) time doing anything. 

http://copyrightalliance.org/2012/03/in-plain-english-a-quick-guide-to-dmca-takedown-notices

Although the original content of a website is copyrighted when it is created in tangible form, if you are going to get involved in litigation in the US, it will need to be registered.  The takedown notice or cease and desist letter probably, does not require registration, although it may be taken more seriously if you can cite your registration. And if the infringer contests the takedown, you will need to actually file suit within two weeks in order to prevent the Website from just putting it back up. If you need to litigate, it is probably not going to be economically feasible. So this action can be seen as mostly a more or less convincing bluff.

http://copyright.gov/circs/circ66.pdf

https://www.venable.com/dmca-takedown--not-without-a-registration/

Thanks for the info. I don't believe I have much in the way of legal potential here because most of the plagiarized sites are out of the U.S. I'm also weary of any kind of legal battle. I just took a non-paying customer to the small claims court for almost $1000 and won - yet he's still refusing to pay. Now I have to find out where he works, where he owns property, where his car is parked etc, so I can pursue other means of recovering the money in court. Different scenario of course but it just goes to show how much time and effort this crap takes. At some point you wonder whether it's worth the time. I'm hoping I can convince these plagiarizers that their duplicate content is hurting them as much as it's hurting me. Would it have killed them to have used my content as a rough guideline and put it into their own words? Apparently so....some people are that lazy. I guess if that doesn't work and I'm still angry about it, I will think about some legal options. 

James
    Moshkito
    Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3765
    Re: What to do about people who plagiarize your site content? 2015/05/01 09:46:28 (permalink)
    ampfixer
    The internet was made for fraud.

What a crock of Fred this is!

But you would have to live in a censored environment to appreciate it a bit more. The internet is a godsend, and it has its good sides and bad sides, like you or I, or Fred!
    post edited by Moshkito - 2015/05/01 17:24:36

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1