Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
2015/04/25 22:41:22 (permalink)

Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00

I almost don't want to post this or draw attention to these two plugins so I can keep them as my secret recipe.

But holy cow, I feel guilty not letting my forum friends know that for about $100 you can have so much general purpose zing.

End of the prelude.

LFO Tool - from XFer Records.  $49.95.  Oh, my gosh.
Tantra - from this like unknown guy, Dmitri Sches.  $49.00 (that's an intro price, it was just released).

I've been using them both, separately and then also been using them together in one FX bin for even more fireworks.

I can take the blandest, totally sappy nothing 8 bars - and practically turn it into a hit song 8 bars - by just adding one or the other of these two, or combining them, or putting them on the master bus.

I mentioned 8 bars, obviously meaning these can be applied to any track or any length of measures, or any bus, or the whole song.  I've applied them to single tracks and then different instances to the master.  It all gets increasing interesting.

Wet/dry is available, so you can dial up or dial down how much of the goodness you want to lather on.

I've picked up plenty of plugins over the last several years.  These two are killer. Right at the top of the heap. For $100 combined?  Holy cow.

I give credit to where credit is due.  First, the guys that developed them of course. 

Then here on the forum, there were posts that led me to discover them.  Now that I've added them to my available tools on my system, I am amplifying and focusing those various threads to clarify what should be a brain dead choice for some.

Details and links below.  It's up to you to explore and look into them.  But if you have any interest in making your tracks snazzier, these at this value are a heck of a thing to consider.

You're welcome.

What you see in the demos and links below work as advertised.  I have them installed.  With even simple experimentation I'm off to the races. 

Thread about Cthulhu which led me to discover LFO Tool:
http://forum.cakewalk.com...-Cthulhu-m3203636.aspx

Demo 1 of LFO Tool (from Plugin Guru):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmAODZDe6ls

Demo 2 of LFO Tool (from MusicMarketingTV)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj3daxaA2mo

Xfer Records (maker of LFO Tool) page link to LFO Tool ($49.95)
http://www.xferrecords.com/products/lfo-tool

cclarry's tip off on Tantra a week or so ago, which led me to discover Tantra:
http://forum.cakewalk.com...-and-Win-m3209343.aspx

Link to Dmitri Sches' website, the Tantra page:
http://www.dmitrysches.com/tantra

Listen to the sound audio sample on the Tantra page. Applying Tantra to tracks is just about as instant gratification as listening to those samples.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.

30 Replies Related Threads

Gone!!
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 797
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/25 23:30:04 (permalink)
    LFOTool is pretty cool, I have had Serum for a while, which is excellent also, but that thread about Cthulhu (again awesome) introduced me to LFOTool, so I ended up getting Cthulhu, LFOTool and Nerve as well. Tantra certainly looks and sounds fun and interesting, and at that price, I just grabbed it after listening to the audio demo. Not really my thing the electronic stuff, but I have been dabbling a bit and trying to incorporate certain elements of it. If nothing else something fun, interesting and different for those down times. Good stuff. 
    lawajava
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/25 23:45:27 (permalink)
    jih64
    Tantra certainly looks and sounds fun and interesting, and at that price, I just grabbed it after listening to the audio demo. Not really my thing the electronic stuff, but I have been dabbling a bit and trying to incorporate certain elements of it.

Tantra has a Wet/Dry which is slick. You can use it like salt and pepper on where you're applying it.  So if you want just a dash of sparkle, you can set it near Dry.  If you want to add some sizzle, turn it a little more toward the Wet setting.  Yes, you will have fun with it.  I recommend when you first load it up just pick through a few presets. There are loads of them.  And you're off!

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    TerraSin
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1975
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/26 12:08:03 (permalink)
    I almost grabbed LFO Tool when it was on sale and I really regret not doing it. When it goes back up on sale, I will certainly be grabbing it along with Cthulhu.

Tantra I saw earlier this past week and I wasn't convinced on first look but I might give it another.
    lawajava
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/26 14:17:12 (permalink)
    Considering the power of these two to conveniently add special sauce to elements of songs, or to complete songs, for a total of just $100 they are a great value. That's part of my original post. There's lots of other tools out there, plenty which cost a lot more. These two provide a satisfying bang for the buck.

Even if you are writing acoustic folk songs these could potentially add some subtle, tasteful zing. Because you can simmer them down.

On the other hand, if you have some songs with some rhythm and a beat, these can be dialed in further to add some X factor. To add sparkle to various single tracks or to a bus etc.

Oh well, I'll stop saying it over again. But I will say to those that go for them, you'll be glad you did.
    post edited by lawajava - 2015/04/26 14:30:58

TD75
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/26 17:13:24 (permalink)
    Oh, how I wish I wouldn't have found this thread! $$$$ later, I ended up getting Cthulhu, LFOTool and Nerve then had to get Tantra as well. Thanks for the tip, lawajava - now I'm spent (literally)!!

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 64-bit OS, Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 2.93GHz, 8 GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, MCU Pro, Alesis Q49, Oxygen 25.
    Gone!!
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/26 19:05:25 (permalink)
    TD75

Oh, how I wish I wouldn't have found this thread! $$$$ later, I ended up getting Cthulhu, LFOTool and Nerve then had to get Tantra as well. Thanks for the tip, lawajava - now I'm spent (literally)!!

Make sure you grab the latest versions from the forum, I didn't with Nerve, and the one you get from the actual site, and I think the Email may direct you to is 32bit, when I realized that, I was a bit down, but then I remembered it said to get the latest versions from the forum, and there it was, 64bit, happy again.

lawajava

Oh well, I'll stop saying it over again. But I will say to those that go for them, you'll be glad you did.

+1 Yes indeed
    Zo
    Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5036
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/26 19:18:37 (permalink)

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
    Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
    Softube Summit EQ
    IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
    EastWest Goshtwriter
    Soundforge Pro 12

Bajan Blue
    • Total Posts : 2029
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/27 02:20:12 (permalink)
    I have used Dmitry's Diversion synth for a long time now - one of my favorite VSTi's - great synth and well worth a look.
    Soon as Tantra came out I knew it would be good so purchased straight away - wow its superb and I am using it right now on a track I am writing for a special project.
    Should also point out Dmitry's a cool guy - very helpful and responds to any queries quickly.
    Nigel

Nigel
    Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

Genghis
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/27 05:26:43 (permalink)
    My tight budget didn't keep me reigned in for long. After several times revisiting this thread and listening to the Tantra demos I caved.  LFO Tool may be a future purchase too, but Tantra is just something that fits me to a T.  I've been a rock and metal player since the 80s, but I've been experimenting more and more with electronic elements in my music for the past few years.  I love rhythmic patterns that accentuate the groove, so this will really come in handy.  Really like it so far.  Looking forward to seeing what kind of strange new rhythmic textures I can add to my experiments.

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
    My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/27 08:50:17 (permalink)
    Thanks Lawa!!
    I just got Cithulhu about a week ago (very cool and one finger fun).....now, it looks like I'm going to be getting these two as well.  
    Steve Duda makes some excellent products (I've never seen them on sale though) and I like supporting good/small developers like this especially when they make great products.

Another useful tool you may like is Catanya: http://www.7aliens.com/catanya-arpeggiator
    (although it's labled as an arp, it's a whole lot more......). The developer is somewhat MIA (according to the posts at KVR), but I never had the need to contact him as it simply works in Sonar. 

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Gone!!
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/27 17:11:16 (permalink)
    Mesh
    Another useful tool you may like is Catanya: http://www.7aliens.com/catanya-arpeggiator
    (although it's labled as an arp, it's a whole lot more......). The developer is somewhat MIA (according to the posts at KVR), but I never had the need to contact him as it simply works in Sonar. 

SOLD !!!!  Thank you very much for that.
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/28 08:25:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for the post. These do look really useful, even in genres other than what is demoed.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    Mesh
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/28 08:50:46 (permalink)
    jih64
    Mesh

SOLD !!!!  Thank you very much for that.

You're most welcome!!
    Do post back on what you think of Catanya and any interesting ways you make back up tracks with this.

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    smallstonefan
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2724
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/28 19:41:52 (permalink)
    OMG!!!

TANTRA!!!

Quite possibly the coolest plugin EVER INVENTED! I have been opening old projects and just putting Tantra on stuff I already recorded - guitars, synths - it's magical. If you have ANY interest in electronic music at all, you have to try this.

wow.
    lawajava
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/28 20:35:43 (permalink)
    smallstonefan
    OMG!!!

TANTRA!!!

Quite possibly the coolest plugin EVER INVENTED! I have been opening old projects and just putting Tantra on stuff I already recorded - guitars, synths - it's magical. If you have ANY interest in electronic music at all, you have to try this.

wow.

Yep. I thought so.

I am also wowed by LFO Tool. The links above to a couple LFO Tool demos provide a glimpse at the fun and satisfaction.

Gone!!
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/28 20:36:07 (permalink)
    It is a dandy isn't it :)

Oh, and you don't have to be just interested in 'electronic music (EDM type stuff ?) it will work well for other stuff to

Can't believe how my keyboard playing skills have skyrocketed in the last 24 hours or so :)

Check out the other stuff mentioned and or linked in this thread, some awesome stuff
    Silhan
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/28 20:48:51 (permalink)
    Does Melda have anything similar to Tantra? I've already got the Melda creative bundle but I haven't dug into it yet. The Tantra demos sounds great, but I'd hate to spend money when I don't have to.

Sonar Version: X3e Producer Edition x64
    Audio Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, 2.5.1 Driver
    Settings: 24-bit, Sample Rate 48 kHz, ASIO Buffer Size 192 samples
    Computer: Intel Core i7-3630QM@2.40GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 x64
    Soft Synths: Kontakt 5, BFD 2, AAS Modeling Collection, Pianoteq 5, Addictive Keys
    Effects: Amplitube 3, Melda Creative Bundle, ARC 2, Melodyne Editor, Breverb 2
    MIDI Controllers: Novation Impulse 61
    Silhan
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/28 20:48:57 (permalink)
    [double post]

Sonar Version: X3e Producer Edition x64
    Audio Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, 2.5.1 Driver
    Settings: 24-bit, Sample Rate 48 kHz, ASIO Buffer Size 192 samples
    Computer: Intel Core i7-3630QM@2.40GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 x64
    Soft Synths: Kontakt 5, BFD 2, AAS Modeling Collection, Pianoteq 5, Addictive Keys
    Effects: Amplitube 3, Melda Creative Bundle, ARC 2, Melodyne Editor, Breverb 2
    MIDI Controllers: Novation Impulse 61
    smallstonefan
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2724
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/29 07:24:00 (permalink)
    Picked them all up and feeling inspired. thanks! :)
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/29 09:12:32 (permalink)
    smallstonefan
    Picked them all up and feeling inspired. thanks! :)

Yeah I did the same thing! Got all of them in a weak moment of GAS!

Tantra - Really like what it can do. Sounds really good. Very easy to work with.
    LFO - Haven't gotten it to really jump out at me.
    Cthulhu - This one will take some work to learn, but has some very powerful features.
    Cantra - This one I had wanted to work more than the others. So far, it will also take some work to learn.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    lawajava
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/29 11:07:10 (permalink)
    Maybe if you watch or rewatch the demo links on LFO Tool in the top post of this thread and then try any of that it will hit you. It jumps out for sure in a good way. Nice that it can be dialed up or down to taste. LFO Tool is quite understandable and easy to use once you give it a whirl.

lawajava
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/29 11:07:10 (permalink)
    le double post.
    Grem
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/30 00:11:18 (permalink)
    Thanks Lawa, I really didn't get much time to mess in depth with them. I will get around to playing with it more and I am sure that it'll "jump out" at me!

Catanya is a nice arp. I like the UI. Very simple and able to get to work with it quick. I was using it with Dim Pro and the LP program that came in one of the updates recently (that's a reallly nice sample). Got something in very little time and was thinking how I could use it to make patterns.

I am happy that I got in on this stuff. No doubt.

Just takes a little long for me to see the forest for the trees!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/04/30 03:38:18 (permalink)
    Okay... I've shown a little bit of restraint...

I've only purchased Cthulhu and Tantra 

Messing with them now.

With Cthulhu, I have added automation that changes the pattern.

With Tantra, I've added automation that sweeps the wet/dry setting and another 2 that change the cut-off and resonance.

Interesting............

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    Mesh
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/05/05 14:20:29 (permalink)
    Just picked up Tantra and already had Cthulhu. Thanks synkrotron.....looks like there's a lot of experimentation that can be done with these and automation.

Great to see interesting techniques posted.....more...more...more!!! :))

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Grem
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/05/05 15:10:52 (permalink)
    I was thinking I could use Catanya to generate some arps and use them in RapPro.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    Home PC
    Surface Pro 3
    lawajava
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/05/06 02:16:24 (permalink)
    Grem
    I was thinking I could use Catanya to generate some arps and use them in RapPro.

Yep

synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/05/06 04:06:50 (permalink)
    Mesh
    looks like there's a lot of experimentation that can be done with these and automation.

Yeah, man... I've got a test project going at the moment that is automating a dozen settings over 32 bars... 

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    Mesh
    Re: Two most impactful plugins I've purchased in 6 months - total combined is $100.00 2015/05/06 08:17:57 (permalink)
    Although I got the authorisation code, I was expecting a link to download Tantra.......none was emailed. Took a chance, installed the Demo version from Dimitry's site, and there was an option to enter the auth......whew!! (a little unusual way of doing it, but it worked!!).

I just put Tantra on one guitar track which I was previously working on and going through a lot of the presets just got lost for at least 1 hour.............totally a  fun plug!!!

Thanks Lawa for this find......now I have to read the manual and learn how to really use it....lol. 

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1