Echo Layla 3G vs. PCIe Bus

Author
Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
2015/04/27 15:44:58 (permalink)

Echo Layla 3G vs. PCIe Bus

I'm trying to help a friend get started on Sonar X3e Pro. He has a hand-me-down Layla 3G interface and a Yamaha CP-4 Stage piano to use as a controller. The PC is a custom built i7, 7200 rpm drives, lots of RAM, Win7 64-bit. He has installed the latest drivers from Echo. He seems to have it all connected properly, because he is getting both analog sound out of the Yamaha and audio from soft synths controlled by the Yamaha. But when using soft synths he tells me he gets a lot of crackling, distortion and dropouts while playing, making the system unusable.

I have been reading on this forum that Layla was designed for the old PCI bus and never updated, and some Sonar users have had problems making it work with the modern PCIe bus. So I'm wondering if anyone who has experience with this can shed any light on what might be going on. At this stage replacing the motherboard is not an option, even if there are any available with old-style PCI slots. And though at this time he doesn't really need all the I/O capability of the Layla, why give it up for a slower (USB), less capable box if he doesn't have to?

Are there driver settings or a workaround for this that anyone knows of? Or does my long-distance diagnosis seem wrong? If he can get the Layla working reliably on the existing PC that's the way he wants to go.  I should mention that money is an object, as usual.

Thanks for reading!

PS: There seems to be no existing Sonar instrument definition for the Yamaha CP-4. Could this have a bearing on the problem?

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS

4 Replies Related Threads

sven450
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 945
    Re: Echo Layla 3G vs. PCIe Bus 2015/04/27 16:30:07 (permalink)
    I just build a DAW for a friend and he has an Echo Gina, also a PCI card.  It fit right in the PCI slot on the MB and is working fine for several months now.  We just grabbed the most recent drivers from Echo and they worked great.
    If I remember, I think we went with ASIO, but experiment with the WDM/KS as they may work equally well.

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
    Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
    Originals:
     https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
    Larry Jones
    Re: Echo Layla 3G vs. PCIe Bus 2015/04/27 23:23:08 (permalink)
    Thanks Sven, that's good to know. Wish it were that easy, but this Layla is not working so far.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Echo Layla 3G vs. PCIe Bus 2015/04/28 09:42:27 (permalink)
    The issue you're most likely bumping into is that the new motherboard's PCI slots are BRIDGED into the PCIe bus via a bridge chip.  Some PCI audio interfaces were a little more forgiving with bridged PCI slots (RME, M-Audio)... and others were more finicky about them (Lynx, Echo).

Different brand motherboard use different bridge chips.
    ie: Gigabyte motherboards (though nice boards) use a bridge chip that's typically more problematic than the one used by Asus.

Go into the BIOS and disable ALL CPU throttling.
    If that doesn't resolve the issue, there's nothing else you can do (short of swapping out the motherboard or audio interface).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Larry Jones
    Re: Echo Layla 3G vs. PCIe Bus 2015/04/30 03:27:02 (permalink)
    Thank you for this input, Jim. I may get a chance to sit down at my friend's PC in the coming week, and I'll see if I can figure out where "CPU throttling" lives in the BIOS.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1