Helpful ReplyWhat is Java and why do I need it?

Author
57Gregy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14404
2015/04/25 10:52:09 (permalink)

What is Java and why do I need it?

Java is on my computer and it thinks it's important, so it informs me that it needs updating periodically.
I don't click the link in the notice, though, instead going to Programs and Features and accessing the link there. It checks my computer and tells me, yes you need to update, and I do it.
But whenever I'm on Facebook, I get a message from FB that it needs to run the Java Runtime Environment Update XXX.
If Ive already installed the update, shouldn't it be running already?
Has anyone else seen this when on FB?

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
kakku
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1646
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/25 11:42:51 (permalink)
I do not think FB should ask that if you have already updated. It could be a malware attack but this is just guessing. I only use FB with my phone but I think Java is not needed. I tried to find the software requirements but didn't find that place. Java is normally not needed and I suggest people to uninstall it unless they need it because it is a common attack route.
post edited by kakku - 2015/04/25 11:49:48

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
kakku
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/25 13:58:48 (permalink)
This is a bit dated, but the situation has not changed that much.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-big-a-security-risk-is-java-can-you-really-quit-using-it/

drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/25 15:20:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby craigb 2015/04/25 17:15:24
Java is an application that lets web designers impress themselves by writing code that runs on your machine to accomplish things that could almost always be done better and more easily in other ways.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
57Gregy
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/25 23:56:29 (permalink)
Thanks, slart, that bit about some education software requiring Java reminded me that I downloaded it for my landlady's grand-daughter who was using my computer for her school work.
It's now on the hit list.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/26 11:09:20 (permalink)
drewfx1
Java is an application that lets web designers impress themselves by writing code that runs on your machine to accomplish things that could almost always be done better and more easily in other ways.

Yeah, we use Javascript in our php customer web portal and I blow hot and cold on how we use it. If I had my way I'd kill it but we have three or four pages that would require weeks (if not months) to re-write and test. That's time we don't have.

The only thing I impress myself with it is I can actually make it work about 50% or the time.
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/26 17:15:23 (permalink)
bapu
drewfx1

Yeah, we use Javascript in our php customer web portal and I blow hot and cold on how we use it. If I had my way I'd kill it but we have three or four pages that would require weeks (if not months) to re-write and test. That's time we don't have.

The only thing I impress myself with it is I can actually make it work about 50% or the time.

Um, Java is not Javascript.  "Real" websites don't need Java, but many rely heavily on Javascript.

Here's one of several websites that detail the differences: http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/javascript/article.php/3470971/Java-vs-JavaScript.htm

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/27 10:06:28 (permalink)
I used to play chess & bridge online on Yahoo games (until they discontinued it) and they both used a Java app......other than that, I'm not sure why I'd need it now (even if 3 billion devices run on Java).

I'm not sure if Steam or Origin needs it as those are my gaming platforms.........I probably should just uninstall Java.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/27 15:34:03 (permalink)
I need Java everyday or I get really crabby. I get headaches, stumble aimlessly down hallways, and wonder how to make the day stop spinning. I see someone in the break room guzzling a mug of coffee and I focus on their jugular. It pulses with fresh, hot caffeine. With a quick bite, just a little one, I could tap into that...

Oh, you weren't talking about the hot beverage. Never mind.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/27 15:53:30 (permalink)
bapu
drewfx1

Java and javascript are two totally different beasts.  Java is an object oriented language that is painfully slow but theoretically easier to learn than languages like C.  Javascript is scripting language used by most websites to some degree.  It is a lot harder to avoid and many sites will not function without it.

As the article slartarbartfast shared, the most prominent apps to use it are a few online games and Open Office.  I sometimes consider tossing Open Office for that reason since i use Java for noting else.

dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/27 18:22:01 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Java is an object oriented language that is painfully slow but theoretically easier to learn than languages like C.

The "painfully slow" quality was once true but has not been a valid criticism for over ten years now.  Yes, optimized C can run marginally faster, but Java in a modern Java Virtual Machine runs like a bat.

Java is not "theoretically" easier to learn than C.  It is unquestionably easier to learn.  It also is far more efficient in the pursuit of producing working, bug-free code due to the compiler's enforcement of type safety, the lack of a pointer data type, and a considerably more elegant object model.  Sadly (for us Java enthusiasts anyway) the language is of little or no use in musical applications.  C/C++ rules in this area and probably always will for the foreseeable future.  Too bad, since Java has a killer set of classes for working with MIDI data and files.
kakku
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/27 20:23:31 (permalink)
Then again if Sonar was made with Java it would force people to have 'dangerous' software needed to run Java apps, right?

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
kakku
craigb
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/28 01:13:05 (permalink)
dmbaer
dubdisciple
Java is an object oriented language that is painfully slow but theoretically easier to learn than languages like C.

The "painfully slow" quality was once true but has not been a valid criticism for over ten years now.  Yes, optimized C can run marginally faster, but Java in a modern Java Virtual Machine runs like a bat.

Java is not "theoretically" easier to learn than C.  It is unquestionably easier to learn.  It also is far more efficient in the pursuit of producing working, bug-free code due to the compiler's enforcement of type safety, the lack of a pointer data type, and a considerably more elegant object model.  Sadly (for us Java enthusiasts anyway) the language is of little or no use in musical applications.  C/C++ rules in this area and probably always will for the foreseeable future.  Too bad, since Java has a killer set of classes for working with MIDI data and files.

But I LIKE dealing with triple-dereferenced pointers!
***OrDoI?

57Gregy
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/29 09:36:25 (permalink)
I never clicked the 'allow' button on the message.
I deleted Java from the computer and now when I go to FB I get this message:
"this webpage wants to run the following add-on: 'control name is not available' from 'not available' ". I don't click that 'allow' button, either.
Definitely something fishy going on.
I mean besides facebook.

Greg 

UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/29 10:20:55 (permalink)
I just take screen shots of those errors and forward them to the NSA. I mean, they're watching all of this anyway, so they must have some idea what's going on. Oh, just a minute. There's someone at the door. They're really insistent.

BRB
kakku
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/29 11:17:01 (permalink)
57Gregy
I never clicked the 'allow' button on the message.
I deleted Java from the computer and now when I go to FB I get this message:
"this webpage wants to run the following add-on: 'control name is not available' from 'not available' ". I don't click that 'allow' button, either.
Definitely something fishy going on.
I mean besides facebook.

Sounds fishy indeed. You could run Malwarebytes or HitmanPro or something similar just in case your computer has been compromised. Even better thing to do could be to restore your Windows to an earlier state that hopefully is malware free. Or you could try another browser to find out if the same happens. And you could take a look and see if there is some fishy browser plugins lurking in your browser.
post edited by kakku - 2015/04/29 11:26:53

kakku
kakku
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/29 11:26:31 (permalink)
You could also try typing the FB address manually instead of clicking on a bookmark and you could also check the bookmark if there is something wrong with it(all assuming you actually use bookmarks).

kakku
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/29 11:29:43 (permalink)
I never use bookmarks.  Waste of time.

They always fall on the floor when I close my laptop.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

craigb
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/29 11:40:09 (permalink)
Every time I stand up I lose my lap top...

slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: What is Java and why do I need it? 2015/04/29 18:22:44 (permalink)
57Gregy

But whenever I'm on Facebook, I get a message from FB that it needs to run the Java Runtime Environment Update XXX.
If Ive already installed the update, shouldn't it be running already?
Has anyone else seen this when on FB?

This particular message seems to be asking permission to run the already installed Java Runtime Environment. If Java is installed on your computer, there are settings in the "Java Control Panel" (Configure Java) that allow you to permit it to run on your browser at all, and to run with various "security levels." If the site cannot work because of this kind of security issue, then you need to enable a less secure interaction if you want it to do what the site intends. When the Java security fiasco began, there were all kinds of articles advising to disable browser access or set security levels to high. In fact one of the first security "patches" released was just an automated setting of the security level to high. A series of patches followed that seemed not to fix the problem or not to fix new problems that kept cropping up. No one really trusts Java anymore, so most recommendations now are to just get it off the machine unless you really need to use it for something. Definitely if you are going to use it you want to keep it updated.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1