Helpful ReplyHow to use multiple networked PCs, to gain cpu cores with Platinum?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Sir Les
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: How to use multiple networked PCs, to gain cpu cores with Platinum? 2015/04/28 04:34:00 (permalink)
Just one more add on, as I do use UAD, to lesson the load of plug ins,...but use other plug ins...and I see the spikes with the cpu happening over time just idol at times, for a few hours, as I set up the gear, and paying attention of that cpu meter in testing......not always happening...but is sometimes happening....It is a OS or application running in the background, yet I find no log of.

So..if this is going on...then why let it screw up my work flow?....If this cpu or processing can be done for Plug ins, it surely can be done for OS....Right?....Best way to do that, without another ms os system connection could be prudent in this,. tied just to get use of the cpu, might be a intelligent solution?....And would help sell more cpu's to add more cores to one system....one system having many cores...As Bob says works...might be a option we all can have, with what we already got....

In the hay day of the processor...when AMD came out with their own cpus...I think they had a adapter for the sockets you could add on to any board with certain socket in place....See, going backwards in time....wink...and then, we have today ,,video cards and such linking up to gain more of cpu processing....add on cards, more robust performance...
So yah...It can be done, and was done in past of yor...why is it not being done now to connect all if possible to do one task or many with selective processing today?....well Vienna, Yes, but it is running OS and app....again causing issues with IRQs and not full use of the cpu for XYZ...and the os is running the connections, and causing latency, especially on older systems.

And here again new boards with the BIOS FLASH without booting, and double bios chipsets...wow...chip burnt epromming ..os can be of some sort of dos or uefi..just to get the system checker to make sure all things tied to the Motherboard are working...cpu / memory..Powersupply) is all that is needed with some boards now a days to get things sort of working.....and able to flash the bios....is a way to perhaps gain access to that bliss some seek.....perhaps not?.....but thinking like that would give total if not most of that cpu, if possible to link through a port of calling....no interference of any irq interrupts via os interference ....in theory ....right?

That is what I am looking for to do.

I think I can build a burning test bed for eprom chip burning...or get one.
Not new techology...since Atari....and that is old tech still used today in some fashion...to burn bios and other chips with info.

So not lost in this yet processing....Can be done....surely simplified code by now? made to put into one chip or bios or memory local to run such a process without too much other devices being employed via the motherboards features (audio/nic/wi fi ports) or os...it can all be turned off..in bios...and just the cpu and or memory utilized in that conceptual thought.....If I am not mistaken.

Then it is coding the OS of the main system to allow the connection to other cpus through x port...or software...or drivers....to stop the conflicting process from occurring, that some people are having with audio and video with only one cpu in place and MS win running the mayhem....to my understanding is happening!

Anderton mentions MS core audio thingy is not as robust as the MACs....and that is why so many people are having issues?....I said he is using secret code to tell us all....Yah....so how can WE the PEOPLE, force it to come to be better....if they the makers of these closed systems (of such sorts) make it cheaper to gain or build upon what is already in hand?....This might be the way....A CARD ADD ON for MORE CPUs....or a link port.

Now I am sure Gibson, and Cakewalk, and Roland, and INTEL, Avid, and MS, and others being the consumer wanting blissful experiences, might want to develop together, to cut cost, and soup up the systems they already have, and to reduce the stuff going into the trash because of redundancy!

Ah Unions!...perhaps peace is possible through the machine as well?

Not going to hold my breath....But, this madness of virus and spy vs spy...and such, and run this protection crap, has to stop also!

If we are going to make things work...positive energy is necessary as input!

And the technology exists if...video and plug ins are doing it...why not the main boards and cpus on em?
post edited by Sir Les - 2015/04/28 04:49:04

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: How to use multiple networked PCs, to gain cpu cores with Platinum? 2015/04/28 11:27:05 (permalink)
Karyn
Modern processors have gained enough power now to make "render farms" for audio irrelevant.

Agreed.
And running multiple machine is tedious by comparison...
Instead of investing time/resources trying to run multiple machines, I'd just upgrade your motherboard/processor/RAM... to provide the resources for current/future projects.
Much more efficient/elegant (simple) solution

If you're dead set on running multiple machines, VE Pro is what you want to use.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: How to use multiple networked PCs, to gain cpu cores with Platinum? 2015/04/28 14:27:29 (permalink)
Thanks Jim. It even sounds like too much bother, after reading this thread.

Michael
Sir Les
Re: How to use multiple networked PCs, to gain cpu cores with Platinum? 2015/04/29 11:49:27 (permalink)
Too much bother?...That is why most things do not work right these days, and war is easier to make than peace, and spilling milk, makes work for someone, so more cost can be added, so let it be , so we can charge more to spill more, to make more work, to not address a cause for glitch, not solve for it as it is a impossible task, takes too much time, or it cost me time and dosh....just pay more, get the new, which is old but has a new face, add some bells added on...and it is ok to go, till the next bump in the road, adding more bells and whistles that take up more and more resources of the cpu?...perhaps I got enough cpus already....just needs refining and connecting...might be a good thing instead of toss it into the trash and pollute, while buying more of one...one cpu....again seti has many working on...and it is working!........too much bother?.....

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: How to use multiple networked PCs, to gain cpu cores with Platinum? 2015/04/29 11:58:26 (permalink)
You're free to think and rant if you like, but obviously my PC will very likely cover all my studio needs. So, I don't see any need for me to bother with it.
That can bother you, if you like. I donate my old ones to Habitat, if that offers you any consolation.
Michael
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: How to use multiple networked PCs, to gain cpu cores with Platinum? 2015/04/29 12:10:50 (permalink)
Moving this to "Computers" where it will be more relevant.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Sir Les
Re: How to use multiple networked PCs, to gain cpu cores with Platinum? 2015/04/30 10:13:33 (permalink)
Software runs on..."computers"...So how does one define the relevant forum or classification to put it in...?...if people are having drop outs latency issues, and crashes/freezing... with said software installed....a possible solution is with this method for all....not just me.....So hide it?...or expose it?...or make it so it is, takes a will to put up a solution that could solve for...with (look how many chimed in with solutions)(thanks), away, and say how to do....with Software, and os being used...(still not as I want it to be, or am thinking it could be)..I think it should stay, and be copied, not moved.....but that is my ranting muse to say....Your rule to do with as you please as moderator of the forum is your job...my job is to make people think of ways outside the box!....to get things done with what they have, or can afford....

cheers!

Jim Roseberry
Re: How to use multiple networked PCs, to gain cpu cores with Platinum? 2015/04/30 11:14:48 (permalink)
Have you actually tried running multiple DAW specific machines?

I did it for quite a few years (been working with DAWs ~20 years).
Back in the day, a single machine wasn't fast enough to run heavy loads with virtual instruments like GigaStudio... AND a full blown project in a DAW.
Flash forward to today... where you have incredible processing power (enough to run super dense projects at low latency on a single/fast machine).

Working with multiple machines (by comparison) is a major PITA.
  • You've got additional latency from the auxiliary machine/s.
  • Audio has to be routed back to the main DAW (hopefully digitally or you're dealing with degraded signal)
  • Audio from auxiliary machine/s has to be printed (recorded) back into the main machine prior to mix.
  • You've got to use KVM switchbox to maintain ergonomics (keyboard, mouse, video).

Any way you slice it, compared to running a single/fast machine (where everything is integrated and immediately available), running multiple machines is cumbersome/tedious/slow.
With the processing power available today, it makes little sense.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Jim Roseberry
Re: How to use multiple networked PCs, to gain cpu cores with Platinum? 2015/04/30 11:25:14 (permalink)
The solution to performance issues (glitches, high-latency, etc) isn't to add more (antiquated) hardware into the equation.   

If someone is having trouble with a single machine, adding multiple machines into the equation hardly seems like a logical simple solution.  It's increasing variables... and over-complicating the situation.
A DAW setup is like any other machine.
The more complicated you make it, the more likely something is to fail.

The solution to performance issues is a (reasonably current) well configured machine (parts, BIOS, configuration) paired with a rock-solid audio interface.  Get those things right... and there's no discussion about drop-outs, glitches, high-latency, etc.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Sir Les
Re: How to use multiple networked PCs, to gain cpu cores with Platinum? 2015/05/04 13:14:19 (permalink)
the variable I am having issues with is WINDOWS XYZ...Not daws...AND I DO NOT WANT TO RUN WINDOWS OR ANY OTHHER OS ON ANY OTHER MACHINES....I just want to turn em on, and connect them to one system...and make some apps use those other machines to run their update and services....And it must be a possibility///if the bios can address all devices and cpu and memory...then NO OS or other App needs run but a Bios that allows a connection to that system...Hence no irq sharing...no interupts...turn all redundant stuff off in Bios, and only use the connection protocol to access the cpu.

Is it rocket science to do?....Nope....So why is it not done yet?.....must sell new, to make more cost and taxes..sales in new,..to make old redundant..so the $$$$$$ keep flowing, and the pollution problem growing into the future to deal with a bigger problem...right?...SO where does one turn to help solve this issue and make things better?...and solve other issues people are having with older builds...and having perhaps Two PC machines...with multi cored processors...and adding them together in some way...Like I mention through the bios only, and one port of protocol turned on.....If one can remote turn on a system with Nic...then it is possible to run a small run time in the bios for cpu access vai x port.

Jim Roseberry
Re: How to use multiple networked PCs, to gain cpu cores with Platinum? 2015/05/05 07:05:56 (permalink)
Noel... or someone else with his OS/programming background would be more equipped to comment on this last statement.

BIOS stands for Basic Input Output Settings.
It's nothing like an OS.

All computers (including some hardware synths, tablets, phones, etc) use an OS.

To process audio, the audio has to be placed in a RAM buffer... and then processed using complex math.
The "satellite" computer/s would need instructions/provisions for doing this (aka an OS).

If you're old enough to remember the earliest PCs:
Until you loaded DOS (primitive OS by today's standards) from a floppy, the PC was a large useless machine.  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: How to use multiple networked PCs, to gain cpu cores with Platinum? 2015/05/05 11:59:14 (permalink)
Sir Les
the variable I am having issues with is WINDOWS XYZ...Not daws...AND I DO NOT WANT TO RUN WINDOWS OR ANY OTHHER OS ON ANY OTHER MACHINES....I just want to turn em on, and connect them to one system...and make some apps use those other machines to run their update and services....And it must be a possibility///if the bios can address all devices and cpu and memory...then NO OS or other App needs run but a Bios that allows a connection to that system...Hence no irq sharing...no interupts...turn all redundant stuff off in Bios, and only use the connection protocol to access the cpu.

Is it rocket science to do?....Nope....So why is it not done yet?.....must sell new, to make more cost and taxes..sales in new,..to make old redundant..so the $$$$$$ keep flowing, and the pollution problem growing into the future to deal with a bigger problem...right?...SO where does one turn to help solve this issue and make things better?...and solve other issues people are having with older builds...and having perhaps Two PC machines...with multi cored processors...and adding them together in some way...Like I mention through the bios only, and one port of protocol turned on.....If one can remote turn on a system with Nic...then it is possible to run a small run time in the bios for cpu access vai x port.

You mentioned SETI earlier. What makes it work is that the computers can be connected because of their OS not instead of. Each computer only has to devote a minuscule amount of CPU cycles to the whole and then only at specified down times. Audio on the other hand, has to be processed in real time and the fastest inter computer connection we have is Fibre Optic. Still need an OS to manage it, each computer needs a card to provide the fibre connection. Then we don't have the software or drivers available to do it. All this to use some obsolete CPU because it seems a shame to throw it away.
Make real use of it and donate it to a shelter or an organisation that helps get basic PCs into hands of disadvantaged people.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
Re: How to use multiple networked PCs, to gain cpu cores with Platinum? 2015/05/06 17:37:00 (permalink)
Hi. I was thinking. I have a MOTU card as ASIO card on the DAW. but I got a Rig Kontrol 4 I newer get to use because of ASIO limitation. What about syncing my DAW up to my Surface Pro and run Rig Kontrol and Guitar Rig on the Surface Pro?

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: How to use multiple networked PCs, to gain cpu cores with Platinum? 2015/05/07 05:00:54 (permalink)
You can use the Rig Kontrol just as a foot controller for Guitar Rig instead of as a sound card. ASIO doesn't play into that at all..
post edited by mudgel - 2015/05/07 06:04:58

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
Re: How to use multiple networked PCs, to gain cpu cores with Platinum? 2015/05/07 16:59:55 (permalink)
i know. i have done that. and it Works Perfect. but i was checking out the input of my MOTU card vs the Rig Kontrol and there was a little differente in sound. and to get the RK sound i have to un connect my MOTU card to get output sound.
its strange that you can not use another card as an input in ASIO.

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: How to use multiple networked PCs, to gain cpu cores with Platinum? 2015/05/24 02:06:06 (permalink)
Swamptooth had the only real suggestion people are using these days:  Vienna Ensembles Pro 5.  It is commonly used by composers doing heavy orchestral/power hungry vsts stuff...VI Control users mention this from time to time...many use it to slave computers.  I did a quick google and it's suppose to run on Win 8 and there is a bit of discussion on this in the googleverse.  

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VSLEnsPro-e
They have a nice vid showing it off... also, details include:

VSL Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 is your total cross-platform MIDI and audio LAN solution. Deploy Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 as a host on your DAW machine to coordinate your Vienna Instruments and third-party 64- and 32-bit VSTi/AU plug-ins. Shuttle the audio streams from your Macs or PCs back to your main computer, or use it in a master/slave configuration with multiple computers connected through Ethernet. Either way, all you need are simple Ethernet cables - no additional hardware required! If your virtual studio is getting out-of-control, VSL's Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 is the powerful, smart solution.
VSL Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 at a Glance:
  • Full integration with Vienna MIR PRO
  • Bonus: Epic Orchestra Pack
  • ITU surround support
  • Preserve feature
  • Touch parameter automation
Full integration with Vienna MIR PROVSL Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 gives you full integration with Vienna MIR PRO (installed with Vienna Ensemble PRO 5, license available separately), which can be opened from within Vienna Ensemble PRO 5. Instantiating Vienna MIR PRO on any channel of Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 will route that channel's signal to MIR, which can run on the same computer or another that's connected via Ethernet.
Bonus: Epic Orchestra PackVSL has included a big bonus along with Vienna Ensemble PRO 5. You get the marvelous Epic Orchestra Pack, in all its glory. 83 musicians strong, this incredible virtual symphony orchestra contains over 9GB of meticulously recorded samples, in stunning 24-bit quality.
ITU surround supportVSL Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 gives you full ITU surround support (up to 7.1) with integrated plug-ins for balancing surround-to-surround and mono/stereo-to-surround, letting you easily weave intensely lush surround soundscapes.
Preserve featureVSL Vienna Ensemble PRO 5's Preserve feature maintains all of your templates and samples in their loaded states while you switch between projects. This is a huge time (and frustration) saver!
Touch parameter automationVSL Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 features fully mappable touch parameter automation that lets you control all of your plug-ins residing on slave computers from your master machine. Streamline your workflow and juice your creativity, with VSL Vienna Ensemble PRO 5!
VSL Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 Features:
  • Includes Epic Orchestra Pack (83 musicians, over 9GB, 24-bit)
  • Total integration of Vienna MIR PRO (license sold separately)
  • Full ITU surround support
  • Full plug-in latency compensation
  • Touch parameter automation
  • New post-effect plug-in rack
  • New audio input plug-in
  • Up to 48 MIDI input ports for ALL plugin standards
Get a powerful MIDI and audio LAN solution: VSL Vienna Ensemble PRO 5!

Tech Specs

Software TypePlug-In HostPlatformMac, PCUpgrade/FullFullDownload/BoxedDownloadFormatStandalone, AAX Native, RTAS, VST, VST3, AUHardware Requirements - MacIntel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAMHardware Requirements - PCIntel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2GB RAMOS Requirements - MacOS X 10.6OS Requirements - PCWindows 7 (latest Service Pack)

I too have thought of this from time to time, having upgraded my computers several times with several fairly decent maschine's R gathering dust.  I can easily overwhelm my 6 cores with diva's and large orchestral templates.  

Look forward to how this unfolds!  I'm now "watching" you, Sir!
post edited by Vastman - 2015/05/24 02:24:57

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1