Helpful ReplyRapture Pro threads are really causing me to keep my wallet shut

Author
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
2015/05/03 20:13:35 (permalink)

Rapture Pro threads are really causing me to keep my wallet shut

I've never read so many problems on a release in these forums...even back with X1 it seems.  I may be wrong.  But there just seems to be too many issues to see if I "escape" having any with a purchase.  I imagine Cakewalk is looking at a lot of these threads and is putting the resources on it that they can at this point.  Maybe in a couple months...and hopefully the intro price or close will still be available.  If I have to pony up $150, after already owning Dim Pro and Rapture, I'm probably going to save my pennies and put it towards Omnisphere2 or the next, best ProChannel module.
I know forums are the place to come post problems, looking for solutions, but too many "seasoned" DAW users here seem to be having issues that are beyond small nitpiks.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Rapture Pro threads are really causing me to keep my wallet shut 2015/05/03 20:26:35 (permalink)
I am going to wait a week or two myself. I have NO doubt that they will get it all ironed out, they seem to be good at that lately. I'll probably buy before the deal ends though. I just hope it is worth it to me since I really don't care much about Rapture but I like Dim Pro. It makes me wonder if I would be better off to put the money toward ST3, I can afford that. Komplete would rock but I can't justify the price for my needs.
IDK.. 79.00 is hard to pass on.
J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Rapture Pro threads are really causing me to keep my wallet shut 2015/05/03 20:42:10 (permalink)
I've played on it every day since I bought it.

It bugs me that there are issues, but there are plenty of patches I don't have issues with.

ShellstaX and BRock noted that the available number of slots for LFOs is still limited.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3214969

For me though, the tool is going to be really fun. And I can say that I never got very good with rapture. I mostly use patches other people set up and then work off of them.

I've been through a whole bunch of the Syntorial lessons (not all). These really helped my understanding.

I mostly just play a regular guitar and mix other people's music. :-)

For me, Rapture Pro was a no brainer to buy. It makes the cool synth more accessible to me.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: Rapture Pro threads are really causing me to keep my wallet shut 2015/05/03 20:56:19 (permalink)
thx gswitz.... I've watched some of your videos too. I've got a Roland Strat, but use the GR-33.  The GR-55 was too much $$ for an upgrade from my GR-33 which I like a lot.  That said, I never use my guitar as a MIDI controller.  I"ve haven't been the biggest fan of either DimPro or Rapture, but I've never really dived into them deeply either.  I find for emulations, my Roland JV2020 and XP80 keyboard are still relevant in my opinion and hold up well against DimPro for piano, strings, other keys and just regular synthy stuff.  I actually use Z3ta2 the most of the three for the more arpeggiated stuff and wackier sounds.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: Rapture Pro threads are really causing me to keep my wallet shut 2015/05/03 23:17:54 (permalink)
It is frustrating that this is not 3rd party software synth but Cakewalk's own product that should have no problems with integration. It looks like they are not aware of all possible complications. Their installation directions make sense if you installing anew and never had these instruments on your system. While they did say that Rapture and Dim Pro should be installed from CCC in order to show up in Rap Pro, they do not make it clear by saying, "Uninstall what ever you have, delete folders A, B and C and then reinstall from CCC. They state:

Just like expansion packs, all factory content from Dimension Pro and Rapture Classic that was installed before Rapture Pro will be automatically migrated.

They did not migrate for me (see my other thread).

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Rapture Pro threads are really causing me to keep my wallet shut 2015/05/04 00:47:41 (permalink)
vladasyn
 It looks like they are not aware of all possible complications. Their installation directions make sense if you installing anew...

I think you've nailed it in the first sentence. It does seem things like missing packs relate to factors that the CCC is not taking into account, although it also seems there are some things that just plain don't work. I don't think anyone has said the Gold Top Expansion Pack showed up for them.

I also think a large part of the problem is how the original instruments placed their samples and programs. When I wanted to mess around with samples and programs I created, I always had to go to Google to find out where Rapture and Dimension Pro placed their data.

With my Rapture Pro installation it did install the samples where I wanted them to go. The Les Paul Standard programs play, but not the Gold Top programs. Unfortunately I can't be of much help because I've modified things so much I'm not sure what a fresh install would even look like.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
ProjectM
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3941
Re: Rapture Pro threads are really causing me to keep my wallet shut 2015/05/04 06:16:59 (permalink)
I have issues with the expansion packs - but not the legacy packs. Despite that, I wouldn't hessitate to recommend this synth to anyone! It's ease of use and versatility is awesome! The first 4 hours I had it I programmed 30-something patches that I am really happy with, stored them easy and recall them easy. And it sound even better than Rapture and DimPro in my ears

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
lfm
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re: Rapture Pro threads are really causing me to keep my wallet shut 2015/05/04 08:16:14 (permalink)
My reference was pure Dimension Pro, and took a look yesterday at Rapture LE which came with Sonar.
I don't see much that is improved regarding making new interesting timbres(even looking at the obvious that you can work on envelopes, which are grayed in LE).

Basically a browser improvement, which is not bad idea, but maybe not worth all the effort.
NI and Arturia have this from long ago.

I would have liked to see improvements on:
a) multiple outs
b) sound engine stuff like oversampling when rendering or always
c) modulation extensions like Waves Element has - with 4 lfo's and each can take input from about 20 sources, and roughly a dozen targets. DP and RP has lfo on each envelope which is nice, but v2 should maybe extend these things to be able and create really new sounds.
d) use of VST3 features like audio inputs - that can serve as an Element from other synths.
Maybe a short record scenario even, if continuous audio stream is difficult to handle, that you can record a snippet and is mapped as an element and waveform.

One of the above, and I would look further if to buy.

Otherwise, it seems that Mac people are worst case regarding installer issues. From KVR some seems to gotten entire folders wiped out with presets they had from other synths - installing RP.
dcdandrea
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Rapture Pro threads are really causing me to keep my wallet shut 2015/05/04 08:27:20 (permalink)
I upgraded right away and regret it. I see no advantage right now to upgrade from the component synths. I am not much of a synth programmer/ sound designer, but do some. My biggest issues with this program are:
1.- its slow. loading programs takes a while. Why?
2 -Because some of the patches are humongus. I'm looking at a decent patch right now, Tension Stabs that is nearly 3 gb. It sounds decent but not 3 gb decent. Some people are really going to have a hard time using patches like this in a full composition. I've tried some patches over a gb in size that are awful.
3. the browser and performance page should be together. I f you want to audition a patch, you do it on one page and then have to move to the instrument page. You are able to page forward or backward to the next patch from there but if you want to look at your patch lists or switch to a whole other category you've got to go back to the browser page. Take a look at Massive and how its done there, one of the reasons it was so successful.
4- if these patches were the best their sound designers could come up with, it doesn't say much for the program as a whole. If Cakewalk wants to sell this thing their factory patches should blow people's socks off. instead i feel like despicable me's mother, "Meh". Not worth the investment.
5- I won't even go into all the problems with installation and moving sample libraries, others have expolored and described this much better than me.
6- I do not own omnisphere but have heard the new version. If people have to be judicious on how they spend their audio dollars, I would say buy that or stick with the component synths for now.
7- the cakewalk management team right now should be doing some really hard self examination.
jbow
Re: Rapture Pro threads are really causing me to keep my wallet shut 2015/05/04 09:14:31 (permalink)
lfm

Otherwise, it seems that Mac people are worst case regarding installer issues. From KVR some seems to gotten entire folders wiped out with presets they had from other synths - installing RP.

WOAH... hair on fire huh? I imagine everything is recoverable but still a scary and stressful problem. I hope they are recoverable! BACKUPS... someone once said (I forget who) "until it is backed up twice, it doesn't exist".

J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Rapture Pro threads are really causing me to keep my wallet shut 2015/05/04 09:25:40 (permalink)
ProjectM
I have issues with the expansion packs - but not the legacy packs. Despite that, I wouldn't hessitate to recommend this synth to anyone! It's ease of use and versatility is awesome! The first 4 hours I had it I programmed 30-something patches that I am really happy with, stored them easy and recall them easy. And it sound even better than Rapture and DimPro in my ears

I hate problematic releases as much (or more) than the next person, but I'm glad I went ahead with RP.  I wasn't having specific problems, but performance has improved noticeably where I've replaced DimPro instances with RP using the DP legacy program.

Without seeing under the hood, it's difficult to say what's being dealt with in terms of complexity, but I darn sure wish things were all-around tidier when released.  That goes for RapPro and S-Plat alike.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

lfm
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re: Rapture Pro threads are really causing me to keep my wallet shut 2015/05/04 10:33:09 (permalink)
dcdandrea
3. the browser and performance page should be together. I f you want to audition a patch, you do it on one page and then have to move to the instrument page. You are able to page forward or backward to the next patch from there but if you want to look at your patch lists or switch to a whole other category you've got to go back to the browser page. Take a look at Massive and how its done there, one of the reasons it was so successful.

Arturia did something like this RP thingy with Analog Labs plugin - and the full domain of synths they've got.
And you could easily audition each preset without leaving the page.

Look more carefully at competition maybe....this was 4-5 years ago.

Cubase Pro 9 with SA2015 as backup - W7 i7 2.8GHz 16G GeForce GT 730 - RME HDSP 9632 + AI4S
vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: Rapture Pro threads are really causing me to keep my wallet shut 2015/05/04 10:49:29 (permalink)
I have every other sample missing, entire packs not showing up in the library and slow program load from SSD. It used old installs of Dim Pro and Rapture, however, I also went on to test it on my new Lap Top and installed all from the scratch, and no packs showing up either. This is ridiculous. Also if you talking about sound quality and variety- this is depends on what you compare it to. Try Tone2 Electra2 right after this and you will never use Rapture Pro again. I want my money back.

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 395
Re: Rapture Pro threads are really causing me to keep my wallet shut 2015/05/04 10:58:54 (permalink)
I can assure everyone that we're monitoring the forums and are very aware of the many concerns our user base has revealed to us. If you're seeing issues with our products feel free to contact our support team, fill out feature requests, and log problem reports where you see fit. For now you can use the Rapture category in the problem reporter form. 
-DG
jbow
Re: Rapture Pro threads are really causing me to keep my wallet shut 2015/05/04 12:20:37 (permalink)
Don, are you guys also having these problems? I'm wondering if it might have anything to do with HW specs. Also, just wondering. I understand if you can't or feel you shouldn't answer this. If it is a presumptuous question, have a MOD delete it and I won't complain. I'm not trying to corner anyone or cause any trouble, just to be clear.
Thanks!

Julien

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Rapture Pro threads are really causing me to keep my wallet shut 2015/05/04 13:29:02 (permalink)
I am having issues with Rap Pro also.

But I got to say, that when it works, it's really a good program. I find it much easier to work with than Dim Pro or Rapture was to work with.

Lots of potential here in this new program!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Andrew Rossa
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: Rapture Pro threads are really causing me to keep my wallet shut 2015/05/04 15:40:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk] 2015/05/05 11:50:04
As mentioned before, we are working very hard to resolve some of the issues that have been brought up. We feel that Rapture Pro is definitely a great synth and we will continue to work our hardest to make improvements based on customer feedback. 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1