Placing notes in PRV using the draw tool

Author
promidi
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1220
2015/04/30 04:45:52 (permalink)

Placing notes in PRV using the draw tool

I am wondering if we can have the default action for the draw note tool to be able to drag a note to the required position.  Currently, to achieve that action, you have to hold the "ALT" key while positioning the note.

It would aslo be handy to make that the default action for the smart tool as well

8 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Placing notes in PRV using the draw tool 2015/04/30 14:07:05 (permalink)
    It used to be that way.  Cakewalk changed it to the current implementation, so I doubt they'll change it back.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    promidi
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1220
    Re: Placing notes in PRV using the draw tool 2015/04/30 18:35:54 (permalink)
    Maybe implement an entry in the cakewalk.ini file to reverse the action of the "ALT" key under that circumstance
    williamcopper
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re: Placing notes in PRV using the draw tool 2015/05/03 08:40:07 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    I think what midi users of the PRV might want is the ability to enter a note with the mouse using one click and position that note as to start time, duration, and pitch without needing to change tool or use a modifier key.  Presently, since the advent of the smart tool, this simple, fast, process is not possible.
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Placing notes in PRV using the draw tool 2015/05/03 11:15:09 (permalink)
    Dragging up and down to adjust pitch I think has always been the case in the X series.  You should also be able to dynamically adjust duration during placement by holding down the left mouse button and dragging. 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

icontakt
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4266
    Re: Placing notes in PRV using the draw tool 2015/05/03 21:09:21 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    williamcopper
    I think what midi users of the PRV might want is the ability to enter a note with the mouse using one click and position that note as to start time, duration, and pitch without needing to change tool or use a modifier key.  Presently, since the advent of the smart tool, this simple, fast, process is not possible.

I respectfully disagree. First, I'm a heavy MIDI user (although my main instrument is eletric guitar) and would find it very annoying if a single click in the PRV Notes/Drum pane added a note event, because I frequently click in the pane just to change the Now time marker position. Second, a note can be added without a modifier key (you just need to double-click). Third, the duration and pitch of the note can be adjusted by click-dragging with the Smart tool, without changing to another tool. The start time can be adjusted after the note is added, again, without changing to another tool. I actually find the Smart tool very smart. What I like the most about it is the right-click lasso-selecting, which was introduced in X2.

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
    Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
    DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
    MarioD
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    Re: Placing notes in PRV using the draw tool 2015/05/10 09:52:17 (permalink)
    icontakt
    williamcopper

I respectfully disagree. First, I'm a heavy MIDI user (although my main instrument is eletric guitar) and would find it very annoying if a single click in the PRV Notes/Drum pane added a note event, because I frequently click in the pane just to change the Now time marker position. Second, a note can be added without a modifier key (you just need to double-click). Third, the duration and pitch of the note can be adjusted by click-dragging with the Smart tool, without changing to another tool. The start time can be adjusted after the note is added, again, without changing to another tool. I actually find the Smart tool very smart. What I like the most about it is the right-click lasso-selecting, which was introduced in X2.

I agree. with icontakt.

The reason people say the vinyl sounds better is because the music was better.

Sonar Platinum, Intel i7 –2600 CPU @ 3.2 GHz, 16 GB ram, 2x2TB internal drives and 1 1TB internal drive, Radeon HD 5570 video card, HP 25" monitor,
    Roland Octa Capture, MOTU Midi Express 128, Win 10 Pro

www.soundcloud.com/Mario_Guitar
    Notecrusher
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 579
    Re: Placing notes in PRV using the draw tool 2015/05/10 18:12:40 (permalink)
    post edited by Notecrusher - 2015/05/10 18:44:22
    Notecrusher
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 579
    Re: Placing notes in PRV using the draw tool 2015/05/10 18:50:08 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    icontakt
    williamcopper

It's much smoother workflow to draw notes w/ a single click than a double-click, and that is what the draw tool does. Sadly, Cakewalk has taken away all the features to move start time, change duration and adjust velocity from the draw tool and given them exclusively to the smart tool, and left the draw tool only w/ a new and silly "glue notes" behavior that nobody asked for or wants. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1