"Do Not Listen (Apricot)" - irony alert!

Author
emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
2015/04/26 22:36:31 (permalink)

"Do Not Listen (Apricot)" - irony alert!

Hi everyone,

Here's a song I've been working on since 2012. I think the mix might have gotten away from me - what does it need? A dash of salt?
Please advise a poor weekend warrior!

It's the 5th song down on the left side player, ironically entitled "Do Not Listen (Apricot)"

http://www.songsbytom.com/  

many thanks, 

-Tom
post edited by emeraldsoul - 2015/04/27 02:10:53

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video

13 Replies Related Threads

synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: "Do Not Listen (Apricot)" - irony alert! 2015/04/27 06:17:48 (permalink)
    LOL! That made me laugh! A song about a song that's by "some dude." Didn't make me suicidal at all haha.

One question - Would it be possible to give the drum kit some width? I listened to it a couple of times to make sure, but it sounds like the drums are mono. All the cymbals and hi-high appear to be dead centre along with the snare and kick.

Other than that, all sounds fine to me, and a funny song to boot 

cheers

andy

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    emeraldsoul
    Re: "Do Not Listen (Apricot)" - irony alert! 2015/04/27 19:28:05 (permalink)
    Thanks, Andy, I'm glad you got through it in one mental piece!  :)   thanks for your drum width comments, and I'm sure you are spot on, because I don't even remember fiddling with panning. I'll check that out, thanks again!

cheers back,
    -Tom

A work in regress:

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: "Do Not Listen (Apricot)" - irony alert! 2015/04/28 12:48:24 (permalink)
    I thoroughly enjoyed this song.  The words are clever, and the arrangement is catchy.  When I get some more time, I will go back and listen to the other songs.  It seems as though you have a large palette to work with.  Take a bow.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    emeraldsoul
    Re: "Do Not Listen (Apricot)" - irony alert! 2015/04/30 22:56:05 (permalink)
    Thanks very much, Lynn! I appreciate it. I did feel the music was kind of catchy, and originally I tried paring it with some weighty lyrics on a topic that was heavy deep and real.

I soon realized that whatever seriousness and gravity my lyrics and my subject matter had, the catchy music seemed to quickly make ridiculous. So I changed the lyrics to make them equally ree-donk-u-lous. :)

cheers, and thanks again for the listen!

-Tom

A work in regress:

theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    Re: "Do Not Listen (Apricot)" - irony alert! 2015/05/02 20:08:11 (permalink)
    Tom, Very clever in deed and very catchy as suggested. The music sounds fine, but the vocals seem to not fit the song in places, based on the genre. They seem on the very low side and I think in places could be on a higher upbeat sound to give the entire song some balance, vocally. That's just a thought!! Interesting song though!!

Peace and Blessings, John 

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: "Do Not Listen (Apricot)" - irony alert! 2015/05/03 12:57:37 (permalink)
    My first observation would be that it seems you web player is exceptionally hot.

Overall it sounded OK here, thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    emeraldsoul
    Re: "Do Not Listen (Apricot)" - irony alert! 2015/05/04 00:53:48 (permalink)
    Hi Wookie,

Thanks for mentioning that my web files come across on the loud side. I use Bandzoogle, which I appreciate in some aspects, but one MAJOR pet peeve is that they don't offer a volume control on their media players.

I have given them loads of feedback on this - basically, Bandzoogle claims that "the user can adjust the volume on their computer/phone" so they don't need to put another "redundant" volume control on their Bandzoogle player.

I pointed out that every other major media player, from iTunes to WMP to Youtube to  . . . they all have independent volume controls. But Bandzoogle just refuses.

So, Wookie, here's a question - when you listened to my song, do you remember, was your computer volume cranked up to 100%? Is that how you generally set things? Just curious. When I surf around and listen to tunes, I'm generally setting my volume on the computer at about 50%.

anyway, thanks for the listen, sorry it was too loud at first go.

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: "Do Not Listen (Apricot)" - irony alert! 2015/05/04 05:40:10 (permalink)
    Tom, I tend to use the volume on the player to adjust as I have the output on the computer set to 100%, however the output from the external sound-card (an Audio Box USB in this case, as this my studio internet PC) set to 75%.  This feeds into my main outboard mixer which then drives my monitors which are either the Adam A7x's or the Event 20/20's.  I find I can gain stage appropriately and get a better balance of volume between my primary DAW and the internet PC this way.  Hope that information is useful.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    emeraldsoul
    Re: "Do Not Listen (Apricot)" - irony alert! 2015/05/05 23:51:39 (permalink)
    John, thank for the thought about the vocal range staying within a certain, lower range. I agree it would be more interesting if the vocal wandered up a bit in register, and given a full measure of time to devote to such obvious improvements, I would do it without hesitation! But I have so many other songs as little embryos that I will spend my time developing them in hopes of making them real, and better than my last.

I suspect many of you understand!

thanks for the kind thoughts.

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:

Grizzlylip
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: "Do Not Listen (Apricot)" - irony alert! 2015/05/19 16:58:40 (permalink)
    I was definitely digging the piano.  Well done!  

I read your post after listening to the track and had to laugh when I read "the mix might have gotten away from me."  I thought to myself, "if he considers this mix to have gotten away then my mixes are flat out missing all together."  Anyhow, I felt the mix accommodated the song well and utilized the space available without losing the "glue" of it. 

Keep writing Tom!

Thanks,
    Jake     
    yorolpal
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re: "Do Not Listen (Apricot)" - irony alert! 2015/05/21 17:38:48 (permalink)
    I listened to several of your tunes.  wonderful ideas, lyrics and performances.  very TMBG.  I think I'll put on my tin foil hat along with you and go back for some more of your wonderful stuff.  Keep rockin!

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: "Do Not Listen (Apricot)" - irony alert! 2015/05/22 10:38:49 (permalink)
    I really like this Tom and can totally relate.
    I agree with the drum comment above - the lack width and there's a 'crunchy' quality to the hats/cymbals (overhead?)
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re: "Do Not Listen (Apricot)" - irony alert! 2015/05/22 13:10:02 (permalink)
    With the caveat that I was listening on my pc speakers, the mix sounded really good to me.  This being said, I loved the tune.... catchy rhythm and clever ideas and lyrics.  Really well done.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1